Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
https://www.4players.de/4players.php/dispbericht/Allgemein/Vorschau/40800/84122/0/Elden_Ring.html

"You'll only have to face slightly less than half of these bosses if you only want to advance the main story. If you only follow this path without digressions, you should be entertained for about 30 to 40 hours. But Hidetaka Miyazaki emphasized that all that lies off this direct path is particularly interesting."

Miyazaki clarifying the 30 hours comment. You only need to beat less than half the bosses to advance the main story, which will take approximately 30-40 hours.

Yeah, that sounds much better.
And I already want a DLC for this. DLCs are From's best.

Caim

Arcane
Looking back at my adventures in the Souls games 30 hours for a first playthrough that's not 100% complete sounds about right. But after the first time I gut gud and can now breeze through in less than that.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pacman is more souls-like than Dark Souls.
Puck Man vs Black Souls.

You're right. One wanted women in the arcades, the other wanted videogames to return to being videogames that are played by human beings.

Also, big trees in this game. How many will bang their heads if they find a secret inside a tree? We need a shaft, Miyazaki! We're hollow for a hollow! :lol:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Try to play the original pacman or any old arcade for what matter. And bring forth real money for every time you die playing.

Hassar

Scholar
No one comments on the lore yet? Seems a copypaste from DS. Basically there was once a great power in the world that now is fading ( the flame /ER). There are beings who owe their strenght to that power ( the lords/demigods) also they have gone mad ( same in DS).
PC is a special being that exists because reasons related to the power ( undead/tarnished).
My guesses:
your choices will be to
-reforge the ER ( relight the flame) and "save" the world
-take the power for yourself ( usurpation of fire ending in ds3)
-or let the ER power disappear ( dark ending)
-bonus impossible to obtain without guide obscure ending wich will be the best or the worst ending depending on who you ask on internet

It is a copy-paste, except with item descriptions provided by GRRM.

I was hoping that From would experiment a little, but this looks unoriginal. We’ll see if more intriguing information is released closer to the actual release date, but I’m not following this one anymore.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
No one comments on the lore yet? Seems a copypaste from DS. Basically there was once a great power in the world that now is fading ( the flame /ER). There are beings who owe their strenght to that power ( the lords/demigods) also they have gone mad ( same in DS).
PC is a special being that exists because reasons related to the power ( undead/tarnished).
My guesses:
your choices will be to
-reforge the ER ( relight the flame) and "save" the world
-take the power for yourself ( usurpation of fire ending in ds3)
-or let the ER power disappear ( dark ending)
-bonus impossible to obtain without guide obscure ending wich will be the best or the worst ending depending on who you ask on internet

Well, it never was about the main story, it was about the details and NPCs.

Shrimp

Arbiter
The Dark Souls "story" and "lore" is mostly just people writing fan fiction based sparse details in item descriptions until some dude from Youtube collects his favourite stories and makes a video about them. At that point the fan fiction becomes THE OFFICIAL CANON BACKSTORY INTENDED BY THE GENIUS MIYAZAKI HIMSELF and if you disagree then it means you got filtered by the subtle and intelligent storytelling

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's like negative Buddhism. Reality is illusion, only darkness is real, the illusion is cyclical, runs strong for a while but eventually the darkness starts to creep back in, your choice in the end is to renew the illusion or shatter it once and for all.

I honestly wish they'd try something different. I loved Dark Souls precisely because it is grim dark, diablo-like in aesthetics instead of some animu shit or generic fantasy but i almost wished Elden Ring WAS in fact standard fantasy just to break the mold.

With that said, this game cannot possibly be more derivative and recycled than Dark Souls 3 and i still liked the latter.

BTW, Dark Souls "fans" are partially to blame here. I already see in the comments people asking for a return of Patches. Like, again? You didn't find it insulting to have him show up in DS3 not once, but TWICE?

Shrimp

Arbiter
It's like negative Buddhism. Reality is illusion, only darkness is real, the illusion is cyclical, runs strong for a while but eventually the darkness starts to creep back in, your choice in the end is to renew the illusion or shatter it once and for all.

I honestly wish they'd try something different. I loved Dark Souls precisely because it is grim dark, diablo-like in aesthetics instead of some animu shit or generic fantasy but i almost wished Elden Ring WAS in fact standard fantasy just to break the mold.

With that said, this game cannot possibly be more derivative and recycled than Dark Souls 3 and i still liked the latter.
One of the things I disliked about Dark Souls 3 was how a fair number of the weapons had attacks that made you fly around and make energy trails with your swords. Same thing about the bosses; half of them would eventually light themselves on fire halfway through the fight and join you in jumping around while they were shooting fire beams at you with their swords. From what I've seen the general reception towards the The Ringed City DLC was that it was good and a nice send-off to the series, but when I was fighting Gael it just didn't feel like I was playing a Dark Souls game at all.
I heavily suspect Elden Ring will have more of the anime jumps, but I'm kind of willing to let it slide since it's technically a new game rather than a sequel to DS1/DS2. With that being said I still think that the game will be Dark Souls 4 in all but name.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Better 30 hours of enjoyment than 100+ hours of Ubisoft style Assassin's Creed/Far Cry/Watch Dogs drudgery...
How bout 100+h of good content?
What a silly, old argument still used in the discussions...

Zibniyat

Arcane

I tried Dark Souls (1) and quickly gave up for a couple of reasons. First I couldn't care less about a world that appears to be dead & dark everywhere, the "living humans" NPCs are all shallow, spent and "flat" (and with horrible voiceovers), and the existence of things like a merchant in the middle of a ruined city and surrounded by deadly demons and whatever else was just over the top illogical. Secondly, you really only ever fight (and explore) in the game, and you explore so you could fight more and more; I felt like there is no "real world" there, just an elaborate arena with enemies and bosses to kill; the fact that gigantic demons jump from around the corner was just tiring. Am I supposed to be impressed by the huge creature that is also an HP sponge? I'm sure it is a very good game for people who like to fight ceaselessly in a grim/dark world, but I just couldn't care less.

Now, if what you say of its story is true, then wow what a retarded idea. :lol:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

I tried Dark Souls (1) and quickly gave up for a couple of reasons. First I couldn't care less about a world that appears to be dead & dark everywhere, the "living humans" NPCs are all shallow, spent and "flat" (and with horrible voiceovers), and the existence of things like a merchant in the middle of a ruined city and surrounded by deadly demons and whatever else was just over the top illogical. Secondly, you really only ever fight (and explore) in the game, and you explore so you could fight more and more; I felt like there is no "real world" there, just an elaborate arena with enemies and bosses to kill; the fact that gigantic demons jump from around the corner was just tiring. Am I supposed to be impressed by the huge creature that is also an HP sponge? I'm sure it is a very good game for people who like to fight ceaselessly in a grim/dark world, but I just couldn't care less.

You didn't get it, dude. I suggest you to leave this thread and embrace the wonders of The Outer Worlds or BG3.

Zibniyat

Arcane
You didn't get it, dude. I suggest you to leave this thread and embrace the wonders of The Outer Worlds or BG3.

Oh I didn't "get" it now? Or perhaps the story's just retarded. It's easy to "get" such a story after all.

If it wasn't obvious from what I wrote, I did not finish DS1, I gave up upon encountering what I mentioned. I am only mildly interested in Elder Ring, since I had hoped it would not be too much like DS, but apparently it's just more of the same only set in a more open world.

Shrimp

Arbiter
If you actually got baited into playing Souls games for their story then I have some bad news for you.

Zibniyat

Arcane
If you actually got baited into playing Souls games for their story then I have some bad news for you.

I didn't. I wasn't "baited" at all, I actually liked its aesthetics, difficulty (but not respawning enemies) and (at least seeming) serious tone. I also liked how unusual it looked like, the "gothic" fantasy look appeals to me. I got into it without reading much about it, I was expecting a "dying world" rather than a "dead world" so to speak. And, somewhat, I was expecting a more elaborate and "direct" story. But the story wasn't that important, however I surely was negatively surprised by how it did turn out regardless of my expectations. But let's not make this about "the story", since as I played, many more things crept up until I just didn't feel anything anymore. So I quit.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected

Not trying to say DS has amazing story, because it has almost none, but the lore and background is fantastically written and exposed to the player. If you understood the premise of the game, the world you are exploring is indeed dead and only populated by hollows (insane people devoid of any humanity) and people on the brink to become one. So the merchant is probably there because that used to be the place he sold things (if the location in wich he "sells" things to nobody except you wasn't enough, speaking to a non existant cat/dog /whatever should be an indicator of his mental state), just like soldier enemies in undead burg are hollow and just do what they did when they were sensient, defend that place. Now if you don't like the atmosphere is one thing, but the world is rich of little details that hint to a very rich background (again wouldnt call it story, due to how many holes there are)

Zibniyat

Arcane
Not trying to say DS has amazing story, because it has almost none, but the lore and background is fantastically written and exposed to the player. If you understood the premise of the game, the world you are exploring is indeed dead and only populated by hollows (insane people devoid of any humanity) and people on the brink to become one. So the merchant is probably there because that used to be the place he sold things, just like soldier enemies in undead burg are hollow and just do what they did when they were sensient, defend that place. Now if you don't like the atmosphere is one thing, but the world is rich of little details that hint to a very rich background (again wouldnt call it story, due to how many holes there are)

Yes, I suppose I just thoroughly disliked the atmosphere, since I did notice some of the small details at least. Oh well, whatever. This sort of reminds me of my complete dislike of "post apocalyptic" and similar games, I can't seem to tolerate such "dead" worlds. Certainly a subjective things and certainly not a criticism of the game, I simply should have known better beforehand.

Now, if Elden Ring will actually be a "living world", but in every other way essentially Dark Souls, then I might like it greatly. Otherwise I'm gonna steer clear of it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's not going to be a living world, it's just going to have dynamic gameplay possibilities.

I'm sorry but you are just coming in from the wrong place. Dark Souls isn't an escapist RPG, it's an action game first and foremost. The things it excels at are combat and level design (from a gameplay perspective). No shit you just progress to fight more that's the point of the game.

Last edited:

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

Yea, it's just not your game then. I do understand your point though, it's akin to like classic 80's games where it's level after level it doesn't have a coherent or 'living world' in any meaningful sense.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
That criticism would have merit if the game presented itself as a realistic RPG and not as an action game. But it didn't, so.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
the fact that gigantic demons jump from around the corner was just tiring. Am I supposed to be impressed by the huge creature that is also an HP sponge?

So you got your ass beat by Taurus, you've ragequit on the grounds of "artificial difficulty" and then you rationalized your lack of gudness by "I didn't like the story".

When it comes to tall tales of butthurt first-time Soul players, I've heard them all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom