Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Cromwell

Arcane
How rare are the materials you need to respecc? I would like to try a lot of different things and wanted to go with a cool golden faith weapon in big armor but if that doesnt work I would respecc again until I find something I like currently I still use my starter club.

Shrimp

Arbiter
How rare are the materials you need to respecc? I would like to try a lot of different things and wanted to go with a cool golden faith weapon in big armor but if that doesnt work I would respecc again until I find something I like currently I still use my starter club.
I only got one in my first 30-40 hours of the game but then I ended up in a new area where I got like 5 of them in the span of a couple of hours. I'm sure there are a couple of them hidden away in somewhat easily accessible areas that I've just managed to overlook though.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Not super uncommon in late game areas. You'll often find 1 or maybe 2 in an area if you look around carefully.

Brickfrog

Learned
Tap triangle. Having to hold down triangle isn't terrible I just don't like having to learn new controls if iv been doing it the same way since 2011 or w.e

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I feel that I've grown shittier at these games. That combined with my stubborness (I completely refuse to summon help) is making this game a bitch. Also there's no way the late game shit can be as difficult as the shit they throw at you right near the start so I will persevere.
Haha. It's a rollercoaster, there are ups, but then even more severe down. I just finished a boss I am convinced I wouldn't have been able to kill if I didn't recently had respec to a weapon that has massive attack range because it summons two adds that can two hit you to death, one of them is a power stancer of greatswords that somehow manages to be lightning fast and has a close the gap move that makes him jump the arena. Thank god for magic-type weapon arts.

What I did to save myself the trouble is to not use the somber type stones at all during most of my playtime. When I finally made the decision to respec, there were plenty of amazing weapons that use the Somber upgrade path, which is different from the materials you use on "ordinary" weapons like the one you start with. Also, instead of going to +25, those weapons go to +10 and each upgrade level is a lot more significant in difference in damage dealt than the levels of ordinary weapons.

Silva

Arcane
Is it just me or From lost their way with their mythos? If DS1 and BB felt cohesive and tight as a virgin pussy, this feels completely disjointed, a pastiche of euro cliches that barely fit - christian sinners/tarnished expelled from a garden of eden/lands between, ruled by bickering greek-roman gods, who praise some germanic/norse world tree/aerdtree, in an ethereal world reminiscing of faery tales and arthurian legends (& roundtables). And somebody above even spoiled the existence of 'outer gods', which I assume means some flavor or Cthulhu. WHAT A MESS.

Last edited:

warcrimes666

Educated
Patron
Question for the gentlemen who are now past Radahn...

I haven't died more in the game than trying to make this jump coming into the eternal city through the comet hole and as there is no grace nearby, it has become infuriating and I've tried approximately thirty permutations. There is a shiny on that roof, dammit. Has anyone successfully made this jump and from which point?

Screenshot (44)_LI.jpg

Curratum

Fuck the Japanese.

After playing for 50 hours on "fine" performance on my shitbox, today's patch made the average fps drop by about another 10 frames and now I'm dying to trash mobs in the open world, because shit's become completely unplayable.

SumDrunkGuy

So far I feel like I'm siding with the people bitching about the open world. It's not bad by any means, far from it, but it certainly lacks that extra special touch that these games have become known for. A tighter space, one more focused and solid is what I want from From Software. That being said it's still better than all the other modern day open world shit.

And another thing, the mounted combat is annoying. I just plain don't like it. Eat my balls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So I was at low flasks, decided to run around like a headless chicken to find my next site of grace asap while aggroing a whole train of enemies, I found it... and promptly died while mashing the use button because of this son of a bitch :

fruwo3U.jpg

It kept prompting this obvious troll message instead of grace.
Well, I made my way in the end anyway, but.. son of a bitch.

Talking of open world, I'm the most negative, but there's one area that is from the open world in the north that is just wonderful and well crafted, so much better than everything that came before, very atmospheric too.

Curratum

Partly the reason I play offline. That and the fucking overbright bloodstains ruining my wonderful screenshots.

Digimon

Educated
So I am playing this game (got around 20 hours of playtime) and have some questions about it:

1. Is there a way to set the time on night time on default when you spawn at a site of grace? It seems it always resets back to day time whenever you rest at it or after dying somewhere else.
  2. How much unique content is there at night? So far, I fought one boss that I am completely sure that it only appeared after dark and another that might also be a night exclusive boss? (death bird).
  3. How prevalent are the gank squad type of bosses? There was this watchdog/cat + green gargoyle minions combo that was a janky mess of a fight. It felt really obnoxious and annoying.
  4. There are these consumables called 'Rune Arcs' that when used, increases your max HP. Can I use them now or will they be serving some other purpose later?
  5. Near the beginning of the game when the event occurs where Melina offers you an accord... is there some of you crazy enough to make the decision to refuse her? You don't get to level up, ever, right? No access to the blacksmith either. So what happens then storywise? Do you hit a certain point where progress is blocked and would end up needing to accept the accord eventually or can you play through it and are rewarded a super secret ending after fighting the final boss. Come to think of it, its even possible to never trigger that cutscene of her introducing herself: Don't rest at sites of graces after the first few or if you are chad enough, just ignore them.

N0rn

Novice
Anybody already fought the Godskin Duo? This boss is pure bullshit. The single Godskin Apostle was already beating my ass, but two of them? It feels like they wanted to do another Ornstein and Smough, but failed to realize that O&S was fun because one enemy was slow and a hard hitter, while the other was quick but with not as fatal attacks. One of the Godskins may be fat, but he's just as quick as his lanky counterpart, making this fight a total clusterfuck. I really don't know how to handle this one, especially since it isn't an optional bossfight.

hackncrazy

Savant
So I am playing this game (got around 20 hours playtime) and have some questions about it:

1. Is there a way to set the time on night time on default when you spawn at a site of grace? It seems it always resets back to day time whenever you rest at it or after dying somewhere else.
  2. How much unique content is there at night? So far, I fought one boss that I am completely sure that it only appeared after dark and another that might also be a night exclusive boss? (death bird).
  3. How prevalent are the gank squad type of bosses? There was this watchdog/cat + green gargoyle minions combo that was a janky mess of a fight. It felt really obnoxious and annoying.
  4. There are these consumables called 'Rune Arcs' that when used, increases your max HP. Can I use them now or will they be serving some other purpose later?
  5. Near the beginning of the game when the event occurs where Melina offers you an accord... is there some of you crazy enough to make the decision to refuse her? You don't get to level up, ever, right? No access to the blacksmith either. So what happens then storywise? Do you hit a certain point where progress is blocked and would end up needing to accept the accord eventually or can you play through it and are rewarded a super secret ending after fighting the final boss. Come to think of it, its even possible to never trigger that cutscene of her introducing herself: Don't rest at sites of graces after the first few or if you are chad enough, just ignore them.

1) You can use the option Pass Time on the Grace Menu, but I don't know about setting night on default (haven't even realized is day when you day);
2) I'm about 90 hours into the game and I had no idea there was night exclusive content. Just discovered 2 bosses out of it, but if I had to guess, I'd say the only night exclusive content is optional bosses;
3) There are quite a lot of gank squad bosses. For mandatory fights, I think there's only one that I can remember, all other ones are optional (Dungeons/caves etc);
4) They'll be serving a better purpose later on, after you killed major bosses;
5) Well, I guess you can go on without accepting her offer, but even if you refuse her, I bet she appears on other sites of grace offering up her services again. In fact, my plan on 2nd playthrough is to do a SL1 (no level-up) run, but I'll accept her maiden services because I need at least the blacksmith (the one on the Church at Limgrave is not enough since you can upgrade your weapon past +3)

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
How much unique content is there at night? So far, I fought one boss that I am completely sure that it only appeared after dark and another that might also be a night exclusive boss? (death bird).

I often went out at night, there isn't that much, but I didn't scour the open world hunting for this, maybe there's a lot and it's just hidden because of how spread thin the game gets with the wide open world.
There are night NPC invasions though, at sites of graces at that.

How prevalent are the gank squad type of bosses? There was this watchdog/cat + green gargoyle minions combo that was a janky mess of a fight. It felt really obnoxious and annoying.

Very prevalent, most are optional fights though.

There are these consumables called 'Rune Arcs' that when used, increases your max HP. Can I use them now or will they be serving some other purpose later?

They don't serve any purpose and you'll be getting more but I recommend keeping them because you'll get much better buffs down the line once you get decent Great Runes to equip, that first great rune isn't all that.

Silva

Arcane
Are all armor and weapons this faery tale carnival I see on screens? Any high level gear that looks normal and sober and a little dirty or something?

Digimon

Educated
Okay thanks for answering.

I have another question: So far 20 hours in I am able to get by without using summons. Will summons become an absolutely necessity to use later on such that the game would ended up feeling over-the-top hard without them?

To give context: the Crucible Knight from Stormveil Evergaol is the hardest boss fight I've fought so far. Took me 2+ hours straight to beat him and I saw that later on there's a boss fight where you engage two of them at once? I barely beat one solo so I was thinking maybe I'll have to eventually use summons later.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are all armor and weapons this faery tale carnival I see on screens? Any high level gear that looks normal and sober and a little dirty or something?

Depends what you're after. There are quite a few sets of full plate armour that look pretty practical/realistic, clearly inspired by real sets of historical armour. The banished knight set for instance is one of the top tier heavy sets in terms of stats and looks rather functional.

Weapon wise, if you want something more plain looking just buy one of the "plain" greatswords like the bastard sword and max it out.

Doktor Best

Arcane
If Elden Ring is anything like the other Fromsoft games then bosses are designed around soloing them. I never use summons as i see it as cheating.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
The spirit summons vary in usefulness. In some fights they die instantly, in others they can keep bosses distracted for a significant amount of time.

In particular I find the greatshield soldier ashes most useful on bosses with strong phys attacks. The soldiers usually turtle up and spam block, wasting a ton of the bosses attacks against their heavy shields.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom