Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

SumDrunkGuy

1. How prevalent are the gank squad type of bosses? There was this watchdog/cat + green gargoyle minions combo that was a janky mess of a fight. It felt really obnoxious and annoying.

I've counted 2 thus far which is too much imo. Fuck gank squads in the ass. Dark Souls 2 did it right but I'll shuddup about that game.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Whoever designed the Crucible Knight and then decided that he's worth just 2100 souls, I hope he bangs his pinky toe against the furniture at least twice per day.
Soul yield from enemies and bosses are all over the place, I've beat random difficult mid-game bosses that yielded anywhere from 5000 to 20000 souls. I also found some secret shardbearer fight that despite not even being difficult ended up yielding 420K souls.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Will summons become an absolutely necessity to use later on such that the game would ended up feeling over-the-top hard without them?
Depends on your patience. If you don't want to spend hours on a boss then probably yes, considering the Crucible Knight took two hours. He's a small fry compared to some later bosses.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Whoever designed the Crucible Knight and then decided that he's worth just 2100 souls, I hope he bangs his pinky toe against the furniture at least twice per day.
On the other hand, I met a pushoever optional boss (a shardbearer, but he's quite mediocre) that gave me 420 000 runes, I was a little flabbergasted. Won't complain, provided a ton of levelups.

hackncrazy

Savant
Okay thanks for answering.

I have another question: So far 20 hours in I am able to get by without using summons. Will summons become an absolutely necessity to use later on such that the game would ended up feeling over-the-top hard without them?

To give context: the Crucible Knight from Stormveil Evergaol is the hardest boss fight I've fought so far. Took me 2+ hours straight to beat him and I saw that later on there's a boss fight where you engage two of them at once? I barely beat one solo so I was thinking maybe I'll have to eventually use summons later.

I never used summons, you might need them in these Gank Fights but even they are doable if you know what you're doing.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
On the other hand, I met a pushoever optional boss (a shardbearer, but he's quite mediocre) that gave me 420 000 runes, I was a little flabbergasted. Won't complain, provided a ton of levelups.

Yes, I did a certain dragon in one of the optional/secret areas that gave me over 200,000. Also very easy.

Funnily enough the boss before that gave significantly less and gave me way more trouble.

hackncrazy

Savant
  1. How prevalent are the gank squad type of bosses? There was this watchdog/cat + green gargoyle minions combo that was a janky mess of a fight. It felt really obnoxious and annoying.

I've counted 2 thus far which is too much imo. Fuck gank squads in the ass. Dark Souls 2 did it right but I'll shuddup about that game.

Hell, I think I've come against at least 7 ganks.

Why do you think DS2 does them better? I feel it's the same.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Remember how back in 2014 people considered the ruin sentinels to be the de facto definition of 'bullshit gank squad' boss? Good times.

hackncrazy

Savant
Remember how back in 2014 people considered the ruin sentinels to be the de facto definition of 'bullshit gank squad' boss? Good times.

Curiously enough, even with the ganks, which I'm not very fond of, for me Radahn fight ranks amongst top 3 worst bosses in souls games. Up there with Bed of Chaos, maybe even worst.

SumDrunkGuy

I'm referring to the one in the Crown of the Sunken King DLC. There's a gank squad boss that is pretty funny and the music is epic as fuck. Dark Souls 2 does everything better than everything so my opinion is biased.

hackncrazy

Savant

I'm referring to the one in the Crown of the Sunken King DLC. There's a gank squad boss that is pretty funny and the music is epic as fuck. Dark Souls 2 does everything better than everything so my opinion is biased.

I have a friends that's loving the ganks in ER and he says that this is what reminds him the most of DS2 (which is his favorite as well).

hackncrazy

Savant
One thing I really don't give is about decisions that From Software made of what is and isn't a boss fight.

There are some enemies that you find a moment in the game (like Crucible) and then you find later on in a much harder variation, but in some cases it gets a name and a healthbar and in some it doesn't. Since they're going the whole way and placing a boss in every corner of the map, I'd feel more satisfied if those enemies received the "boss treatment".

Shrimp

Arbiter
I love Elden Ring but I'm sad we'll never get a From Soft game like the ones made pre-Bloodborne again

I remember saving this video from a Twitter post or somewhere else. It's only a matter of time before someone makes an updated version with Elden Ring included.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Is it just me or From lost their way with their mythos? If DS1 and BB felt cohesive and tight as a virgin pussy, this feels completely disjointed, a pastiche of euro cliches that barely fit - christian sinners/tarnished expelled from a garden of eden/lands between, ruled by a greek-roman family of bickering gods, who praise some germanic/norse world tree/aerdtree, in a world with ethereal cues reminiscing from fae(ry) tales, arthurian roundtables, etc. And somebody above even spoiled the existence of 'outer gods', which I assume means some flavor or Cthulhu. WHAT A MESS.

It was already bad in DS3.

I'm enjoying this game a great deal, much like i enjoyed DS3 a lot, but let's face it, a lot of the magic is gone.

BTW, i got bored and leveled to 10. Then i did the pumpkin head guy and he was way too easy. I guess i should have gone there at SL1.

Ho well, almost done exploring the first area. Just got my ass handed to be by a boss with two big hammers who doesn't seem to ever lose stamina. I think this is the last "optional" area in the map so after this i can move down the main road.

I think i need to recant what i said about DS3. So far the open world has been relatively popamole. The bosses in the caves or crypts i found were cool, but the crypts themselves were short and uninteresting and the open area is easy as shit. I stubled upon about a dozen guys with clubs and wooden shields and i thought i was done for but instead i managed to just R1 one them all to death without breaking a sweat. The horse also makes it easy to nope out of every fight in a pinch.

While the open area is knewl and atmospheric visually i think the traditional map design remains superior.

Last edited:

Comte

Is it just me or From lost their way with their mythos? If DS1 and BB felt cohesive and tight as a virgin pussy, this feels completely disjointed, a pastiche of euro cliches that barely fit - christian sinners/tarnished expelled from a garden of eden/lands between, ruled by a greek-roman family of bickering gods, who praise some germanic/norse world tree/aerdtree, in a world with ethereal cues reminiscing from fae(ry) tales, arthurian roundtables, etc. And somebody above even spoiled the existence of 'outer gods', which I assume means some flavor or Cthulhu. WHAT A MESS.

I'm enjoying this game a great deal, much like i enjoyed DS3 a lot, but let's face it, a lot of the magic is gone.

Its called getting old dude

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Its called getting old dude

Bullshit. I was old when i played DS1, but the game made me feel like it was the 90s again.

hackncrazy

Savant

From someone who never cared about lore in souls games: isn't the whole story and nuances pretty scattered around the game world that takes a few weeks/months for people to figuring some things out?

But anyway, since I dream every night about BB2, the whole cosmic horror and outer gods part is very welcome for my tastes.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

From someone who never cared about lore in souls games: isn't the whole story and nuances pretty scattered around the game world that takes a few weeks/months for people to figuring some things out?

But anyway, since I dream every night about BB2, the whole cosmic horror and outer gods part is very welcome for my tastes.

DS3 had all the same stuff DS1 had but everything felt sterile, recycled or uninspired.

At the time i assumed it was because From is bored with the Dark Souls formula but i was told Sekiro wasn't that inspired either, so i guess Myazaku-sam is just too jaded and doesn't care anymore.

Jinn

Arcane
So, if you die in Stormveil Castle you recover around 3000 runes less than what you had.

Still not entirely sure what the cause of this is, but I feel like it has to do with the proximity to any Lord still in possession of a Great Rune. I feel like the closer I got to that final fog wall, I was losing even more per death, but not sure about that either.

hackncrazy

Savant
So, if you die in Stormveil Castle you recover around 3000 runes less than what you had.

Still not entirely sure what the cause of this is, but I feel like it has to do with the proximity to any Lord still in possession of a Great Rune. I feel like the closer I got to that final fog wall, I was losing even more per death, but not sure about that either.

It is not, I just read this today. Remember the fella you encounter on the castle gate, the one that says that you should take a side entrance? Apparently, if you look well enough, you can see him following you, and he's the one stealing your souls.

Apparently, after beating the boss, you can kill this guy and recover your souls.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I love Elden Ring but I'm sad we'll never get a From Soft game like the ones made pre-Bloodborne again
We'll be saying "wish they made games like the ones pre-Elden Ring" soon, because I'm willing to bet they will never, ever make a not-open world game again after the success in sales of this one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom