Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

hackncrazy

Savant
So, what are the bosses highlights for those who finished or are finishing the game?

Anything on the same league as Ludwig, Elfriede, Isshin or Father Owl here?

I don't think any boss in any game ever will be at the same league at Isshin and Ludwig. Mainly Ludwig, not even God can surpass this if he makes a game.

For me, the highlits so far (haven't finished) are:

Margit
Godrick
Rennala
Crucible Knight
Dragonkin
Tree Sentinel (A stronger version you fight later, but even the regular one is fun)
Erdtree Avatar (even though there are like 15 of them, every single time I have a lot of fun, his moveset is great)

hackncrazy

Savant
He clearly didn't do shit for this game, except maybe name a few things and brainstorm a couple of the Lords or something. He doesn't know shit about it.

It's fucking retarded his name is even on it.

Well, bringing his name might get a couple of million more copies sold, so there's that as well.
Does anyone still care about him though? He's been sitting his fat ass on the next book for over a decade now and the tv show ended up with such a howler that nobody talks about it anymore except to mention how shit the last season was. I swear, I've never seen something so popular dissappear from pop culture so fast.

They said something about working for some 5 years on this which means starting somewhere in 2016-2017. GOT was still popular back then and they probably jumped on the band wagon, much like CDPR did when they got Charles Dance to voice the emperor in Twitcher 3, hoping the show ends on a high note by the time Elden skyRim comes out. Guess their expectations got subverted.

Well, there's another TV Show coming out on HBO based on his books. Also, for all everyone knows, GoT went to shit exactly at the point there were no more books to be based on, eg, they went to shit because they didn't have Martin anymore.

So even if the show had the worst ending of all time, all I see is people blaming the Weiss and Benioff way more than Martin.

deem

Savant
I dislike how your stamina does not deplete with no enemies around. Quality of life feature, sure, but I can't see how many swings I can take with a new weapon.
Nitpick, was not even sure if worth posting, but I like how this series is usually consistent with its rules.

Regarding the attack timings, Matthewmatosis pointed this out five years ago (timestamped):

It is a part of a larger point he is making about the Souls bosses.
I've linked to this video a while back in response to a different topic. I recommend watching it in its entirety, great breakdown of the Souls series.

hackncrazy

Savant
I dislike how your stamina does not deplete with no enemies around. Quality of life feature, sure, but I can't see how many swings I can take with a new weapon.
Nitpick, was not even sure if worth posting, but I like how this series is usually consistent with its rules.

Regarding the attack timings, Matthewmatosis pointed this out five years ago (timestamped):

It is a part of a larger point he is making about the Souls bosses.
I've linked to this video a while back in response to a different topic. I recommend watching it in its entirety, great breakdown of the Souls series.

IMO, stamina not depleting out of battles is hands down the best quality of life that ER brings, even more than Stakes of Marika saving us from retarded 2 minutes runbacks to boss fights.

Gonna watch the video, I've watched something from matthewmatosis a while ago and liked it.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What would be a good alternative for the super agressive infinite kata hitboxes flayling bosses? Honest question.
Not obsess about experienced players beating bosses.

It's a cancer developers are metagaming and designing bad bosses to catch souls pros off guard for about 5 minutes, while delivering infinite stamina, spastic, gigantic, camera breaking annoying enemies.

Every encounter will be broken and exploited by power gamers, just design good bosses instead of looking to play against souls pros with bad designs

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I mean it's ridiculous. Jaytb and other pros will no damage every boss in Ninja Gaiden Black in master ninja, does that mean the game is easy and Alma or Ishtar should get more bullshit?

hackncrazy

Savant
What would be a good alternative for the super agressive infinite kata hitboxes flayling bosses? Honest question.

It's a cancer developers are metagaming and designing bad bosses to catch souls pros off guard for about 5 minutes, while delivering infinite stamina, spastic, gigantic, camera breaking annoying enemies.

Every encounter will be broken and exploited by power gamers, just design good bosses instead of looking to play against souls pros with bad designs

Speaking of which, there's a Intel Event going on right now on Twitch where players should beat the biggest amount of bosses in 2h30. One of them is using a freezing axe that has a Stomp Skill that destroy every single boss in the game. I think we have a candidate for the initial nerfs along with OP magic.

The commit to the gank ends up fucking over some enemies too lol. Demi-humans are hilarious. 95% of the their 1st move on player aggro will be an alarm scream.

This is an effective gank when you first meet them on Limgrave beach because it aggros the whole group. Your damage output is likely too poor to kill them all before they each finish screaming and actually attack you.

However when you encounter groups later with better gear you'll kill all of them before they get an attack off because they're too busy screaming to start fighting. Too commited to the gank. Only the spotter in a group should scream, the rest should attack immediately.

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Speaking of which, there's a Intel Event going on right now on Twitch where players should beat the biggest amount of bosses in 2h30. One of them is using a freezing axe that has a Stomp Skill that destroy every single boss in the game. I think we have a candidate for the initial nerfs along with OP magic.

Hate this streaming era. Developers designing against the more dedicated powergamers, and then nerfing fun when strategies against annoying and bad designs are found.

They don't get why DeS and DS1 were great.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Anybody already fought the Godskin Duo? This boss is pure bullshit. The single Godskin Apostle was already beating my ass, but two of them? It feels like they wanted to do another Ornstein and Smough, but failed to realize that O&S was fun because one enemy was slow and a hard hitter, while the other was quick but with not as fatal attacks. One of the Godskins may be fat, but he's just as quick as his lanky counterpart, making this fight a total clusterfuck. I really don't know how to handle this one, especially since it isn't an optional bossfight.

I almost rage quit the game because of them. It's absolute garbage but I did finally won the fight thanks to a good coop summon.

Get the Mimic tear asap

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Okay thanks for answering.

I have another question: So far 20 hours in I am able to get by without using summons. Will summons become an absolutely necessity to use later on such that the game would ended up feeling over-the-top hard without them?

To give context: the Crucible Knight from Stormveil Evergaol is the hardest boss fight I've fought so far. Took me 2+ hours straight to beat him and I saw that later on there's a boss fight where you engage two of them at once? I barely beat one solo so I was thinking maybe I'll have to eventually use summons later.

Pretty much yes. There are a couple of boss fights which are designed for coop. Either you use a player summon or a simple summon. The most powerful summon is the mimic tear for melee players.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
If Elden Ring is anything like the other Fromsoft games then bosses are designed around soloing them. I never use summons as i see it as cheating.

Elden Ring is not like the other Dark Souls and there are at least a couple of boss fights where you need something to aggro the boss.

So, in some cases soloing is theoretically possible but practically is bullshit.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Whoever designed the Crucible Knight and then decided that he's worth just 2100 souls, I hope he bangs his pinky toe against the furniture at least twice per day.

He is just a regular mob in the last areas

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Okay thanks for answering.

I have another question: So far 20 hours in I am able to get by without using summons. Will summons become an absolutely necessity to use later on such that the game would ended up feeling over-the-top hard without them?

To give context: the Crucible Knight from Stormveil Evergaol is the hardest boss fight I've fought so far. Took me 2+ hours straight to beat him and I saw that later on there's a boss fight where you engage two of them at once? I barely beat one solo so I was thinking maybe I'll have to eventually use summons later.

I never used summons, you might need them in these Gank Fights but even they are doable if you know what you're doing.

Godskin Duo says Nein!

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm too tired to write something readable but I will try.

By the end the game turns into a complete turd. The story makes no sense. The combat fairness is gone. The game stutters in the most critical moments.

For example the mobs from the last areas have constant spazzing and their hp could make elephants blush. Really, at lvl 120 with weapon +10, I cannot kill one rat in one hit.

Then the last 4 boss fights are the most cancer boss fights I've seen ever.

First is Godskin Duo. This fight is cancer for melee players. FS tried to recreate Ornstein and Smough but it doesn't work because these bosses have too many attacks.

Second is Godfrey which is basically the most anime fight I've seen in my life. I had to use Mimic Tear to beat him.

Third one is Beast Clergyman which is another bullshit spazzzin boss. Thank God he is weak to bleed.

The last one is Radagon and Elden Beast festival. I simply lost it. Both bosses have so many AOE attacks ... it hurts

Honestly I feel like the game was designed to be edgy. It's like a big middle finger to all streamers: game is too vast for short speedruns, no hit runs are almost impossible with spazzing bosses and SL1 is probably out of the question.

The ending is so bad that it tarnishes the entire experience. It's actually awful.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I do feel like melee only (especially STR builds) requires more skill than in previous games. Bosses seem to have more movesets, more unpredictability and more 360 AOE attacks.

Whether this is good game design (or fun) is probably highly subjective.

no hit runs are almost impossible with spazzing bosses and SL1 is probably out of the question.

Didn't some guy beat DS games with his toes and a controller? I wouldn't say anything is out of the question with a dedicated fanbase.

fork

Worst FromSoft game ever (well, in two decades or so).

The first 20 hours or so, the size and looks of the world and the familiar controls deceive you, but the game is decline in every way, right from the beginning starting with the cheap concept art intro and the retarded over the top voice acting. Then you choose your body type and off you go, scripted death - yawn. Tutorial is fine, eventhough the cave where it's located has no design whatsoever. Then the high starts with the Limgrave panorama and Tree Sentinel. But in retrospect, it doesn't last long. You soon realise that this is the entire game: style over substance, quantity over quality.
You notice the copy pasted stuff like catacombs, caves, ruins, churches, minor erdtrees, bosses etc. everywhere, the spastic combat with ganksquads, never-ending combos, insta-death attacks, fast travel from anywhere, bombastic yet completely uninspired music, and complete shit lore and terrible NPCs, and you ask yourself: "what happened to the King's Field, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls devs?" They're gone. Everything here is like a parody of what made FromSoft games so great in the past. They sold out like every successful studio does sooner or later. I'm surprised it took them this long, and the signs were on the wall, but it still hurts.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
There might be builds that can handle this crap better out there, like using a greatshield,
She heals through shield so nah, the best way to beat her is to use a bleeding weapon and the mimic tear, anything else won't work.

hackncrazy

Savant
Well, I just spent 40 minutes trying to beat

Mohg

and I finally did it.

By far the best boss of the game for me at this point. What an amazing fight.

hackncrazy

Savant
and you ask yourself: "what happened to the King's Field, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls devs?" They're gone.

Don't forget Shadow Tower.

Shadow Tower Abyss is definitely one of the best from software has ever made, even counting souls.

ADL

Prophet
This is literally the first and only time I've seen this message on Steam in 18 years. I never got a sync dialog like they said I would, I just got a Cloud save error and now I'm just stuck in a state where all I can do is restart steam over and over and over again.
CL4LQKg.png

Seriously, what the fuck are they doing over there? They should never be allowed to handle a port internally again.

hackncrazy

Savant
This is literally the first and only time I've seen this message on Steam in 18 years. I never got a sync dialog like they said I would, I'm just stuck in a state where all I can do is restart steam over and over and over again.
CL4LQKg.png

Seriously, what the fuck are they doing over there? They should never be allowed to handle a port internally again.

I had this a few hours ago, solved by rebooting the pc. Apparently, when you click "Restart Steam" the update isn't downloaded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom