Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Tyrr

Liturgist
To the ones that knows about lore:

Is there an explanation for a) Why there are so many empty cages at Raya Lucaria and b) the origin of the pots? Are they some kind of freaky experiment from Lucarians that went wrong?
The pots are filled with the remains of warriors (maybe also other people).
During the Alexander questline he explains that he is filled with the remains of many great warriors and tries to fulfill the desires they had in life. There is even a village where the pots live.

Shrimp

Liturgist
With updates I don't believe so. For better or worse, the vanilla game is what it is, so that's the experience they intended us to have.

Speaking of DLC, as I said before I'd be very happy if they add like 2 Legacy Dungeons linked to the already existing open world and call it a day. But we all know they'll add AT LEAST 1 new open world region. My hopes is that this new region comes with completely new content, and not only catacombs, caves and mines the same way we've seen in vanilla.

I think they could with a Scholar of the First Sin type of update. The problem isn't only that the game is repetitive (in fact that isn't a problem for me,) but that it's also grueling (as From Soft games generally are.) I think changing the open world and making it less grueling so it contrasts heavily with the dungeons would make the game feel much less fatiguing. I started a new playthrough of the game and really enjoyed the first few areas, whereas I hated the lategame areas. I believe that is because the early game areas have less enemy density and are more relaxing and immersive, and when I feel ready I can take on one of the legacy dungeons and go into the fray.

Dunno if anyone here has played WoW but I was a fan of it in the past. The lategame areas of WoW (vanilla,) like The Western Plaguelands have few/no friendly towns or inns, an insane density of very tough enemies, very few isolated friendly npcs, and are very dark with a grim atmosphere. This is great in WoW, you've journeyed through comfy forests and beautiful locales and now for the last few levels you have to go through hell. In Elden Ring nearly the entire game is like this, there are no friendly towns, very few friendly npcs, and the entire world is covered in difficult enemies that want to kill you. That can only be enticing for so long before you just get fucking sick of it.
Does From have a history of rebalancing areas or levels? I don't know since Elden Ring is the first game I buy on release. Assuming it's possible, perhaps adjusting late areas density of enemies and their HP would be a good first step.

And I agree that they should make a more "tight" DLC. But I doubt it. It seems logical they will stick to this open world formula for some more time.
Outside of some fringe cases (mages in Shrine of Amana) I can't really think of some cases where they rebalanced or adjusted areas post-release. I'm not even sure if the SOTFS version of DS2 outright repositioned enemies like it did with some items. It added invisible hollows, Forlorn invaders and a couple of pursuers here and there, but I don't recall them actually doing much beyond that.

As for what an Elden Ring DLC would entail, my guess would be a single area with its own legacy dungeon separated from the current world map.

randir14

Augur
If anyone's still having bad stuttering try this suggestion to use vkd3d and dxvk:
https://old.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/..._nightly_has_an_experimental_feature/hzhvnpv/

I tested it on a new character with the Tree Sentinel fight. With DX12 it was constantly stuttering from 56-60, but using those Vulkan files was a solid 60 fps. Also riding around on horseback was completely smooth. The only downside is you have to play the game offline otherwise EAC will detect the files and the game won't launch.

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
How do you guys manage to get to level 100+? I thought getting 40k+ runes to level up was getting super grindy. Do enemies start giving 5k souls a pop later on? Bosses usually give a lot but still. I got to level 60 something and respawning enemies were giving less than 2k each.

Curratum

If anyone's still having bad stuttering try this suggestion to use vkd3d and dxvk:
https://old.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/..._nightly_has_an_experimental_feature/hzhvnpv/

I tested it on a new character with the Tree Sentinel fight. With DX12 it was constantly stuttering from 56-60, but using those Vulkan files was a solid 60 fps. Also riding around on horseback was completely smooth. The only downside is you have to play the game offline otherwise EAC will detect the files and the game won't launch.

Won't this get you softbanned if you decide to go online again? I play offline anyway because I can't stand the message spam and the overbright bloodstains but I'm reluctant to use this for fear of a softban, because soon I'll be done with the SP content and will start doing multi.

Dunno if anyone here has played WoW but I was a fan of it in the past. The lategame areas of WoW (vanilla,) like The Western Plaguelands have few/no friendly towns or inns, an insane density of very tough enemies, very few isolated friendly npcs, and are very dark with a grim atmosphere. This is great in WoW, you've journeyed through comfy forests and beautiful locales and now for the last few levels you have to go through hell. In Elden Ring nearly the entire game is like this, there are no friendly towns, very few friendly npcs, and the entire world is covered in difficult enemies that want to kill you. That can only be enticing for so long before you just get fucking sick of it.

I mean, that's kind of an entire point. You grow stronger and face harsher conditions that are supposed to place you on the edge of mind. By the time I actually finished Caelid for example, I was kind of overleveled due to completing Ranni's questline first, but I was still scared shitless of the area itself due to its oppressive atmosphere. Starting zones feel comfortable and vibrant, as they are supposed to, but later areas dulling down that factor is simply a natural progression of things.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Starting zones feel comfortable and vibrant, as they are supposed to, but later areas dulling down that factor is simply a natural progression of things.
I'm aware that it was intentional but they completely overdid it. And I wouldn't say the starting zones are comfortable or vibrant, they're still entirely filled with hostile enemies and dangerous roaming bosses, they're just less grim than the later zones. There's simply not enough contrast for a game this big. Caelid and Mt Gelnir should be hellholes but the games hellhole density is simply too high for a huge open world.

Curratum

Starting zones feel comfortable and vibrant, as they are supposed to, but later areas dulling down that factor is simply a natural progression of things.
I'm aware that it was intentional but they completely overdid it. And I wouldn't say the starting zones are comfortable or vibrant, they're still entirely filled with hostile enemies and dangerous roaming bosses, they're just less grim than the later zones. There's simply not enough contrast for a game this big. Caelid and Mt Gelnir should be hellholes but the games hellhole density is simply too high for a huge open world.

Caelid at least felt sort of cool, while Mt Gelmir is just a barren, empty, dull pile of rocks.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

I mean, that's kind of an entire point. You grow stronger and face harsher conditions that are supposed to place you on the edge of mind. By the time I actually finished Caelid for example, I was kind of overleveled due to completing Ranni's questline first, but I was still scared shitless of the area itself due to its oppressive atmosphere. Starting zones feel comfortable and vibrant, as they are supposed to, but later areas dulling down that factor is simply a natural progression of things.

Wait, what!? Everywhere I read says killing Radahn is a prerequisite for Ranni showing up in Ranni's Rise. How did you finish her quest before Caelid?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
What level?

I was able to handle the Apostle at the Windmill village quite easy but I needed like 10 runs at the Noble. I'm dreading this fight.

110 I think? Not sure if that's much higher than it's supposed to be. Current build is very unoptimized dex/int with Moonveil. Summoned Oleg and not my grossly overpowered mimic tear +10, because Oleg is best bro.

I think if I did do a standard 1v2 it would've been harder.

Yes, probably the most RPG From game since Demons Souls

Honestly, there's more c&c in Souls games than most JRPGs.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm not even sure if the SOTFS version of DS2 outright repositioned enemies like it did with some items. It added invisible hollows, Forlorn invaders and a couple of pursuers here and there, but I don't recall them actually doing much beyond that.

What? Have you really played both the original release and SOTFS? Heide, which is a mediocre area in both games, became worse in SOTFS because they thought adding the more reactive knights to the stone looking fatso gangs would make it better. They also added a dragon/mini drake there. Iron Keep, which was perfectly fine in the original release, became a place where so much as making a fart will aggro the entire keep on you as the mobs there became psychic.

SOTFS changed a lot of stuff, and, in my opinion, mostly for the worse. I loved DS2, but I loved it a little less as SOTFS.

randir14

Augur

Won't this get you softbanned if you decide to go online again? I play offline anyway because I can't stand the message spam and the overbright bloodstains but I'm reluctant to use this for fear of a softban, because soon I'll be done with the SP content and will start doing multi.

When I tested it the game wouldn't even launch in online mode, I got a notification window that said something about EAC detecting an invalid file. So if you want to play online you'll have to remove the files.

Shrimp

Liturgist
I'm not even sure if the SOTFS version of DS2 outright repositioned enemies like it did with some items. It added invisible hollows, Forlorn invaders and a couple of pursuers here and there, but I don't recall them actually doing much beyond that.

What? Have you really played both the original release and SOTFS? Heide, which is a mediocre area in both games, became worse in SOTFS because they thought adding the more reactive knights to the stone looking fatso gangs would make it better. They also added a dragon/mini drake there. Iron Keep, which was perfectly fine in the original release, became a place where so much as making a fart will aggro the entire keep on you as the mobs there became psychic.

SOTFS changed a lot of stuff, and, in my opinion, mostly for the worse. I loved DS2, but I loved it a little less as SOTFS.
Now that you mention it I do remember the Heide knights, they were spread around in the vanilla game instead of sitting in that area. In my defence the last time I played vanilla was 7 years ago; my subsequent playthroughs were in SOTFS.

deem

Savant
Heide Knights in the original version were the equivalent of black knights from the previous game, that is they would not respawn and were placed sparingly throughout the game. They changed that in SOTFS.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I understand if you don't remember everything, but the difference between SOTFS and vanilla aren't benign, SOTFS significantly broke my enjoyment of the game. By the way, it's a myth that SOTFS nerfed Amana, the nerf happened in a normal patch WAY before SOTFS got released, and in fact, as far as I remember, SOTFS is in between the level of agression of vanilla and the nerfed patch ie it's a little harder than patched vanilla, but not as overwhelming as vanilla.

Either way, I didn't mind vanilla amana at all. On the other hand, SOTFS turned plenty of areas into obnoxious shit.

I don't blame people for not liking DS2 too much if they only ever played SOTFS.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
C4FF85E5ADD1FFA7B3CF2BAE87A2A56C4D585E4E

6FFA21D79B4AF25A5555C51C6B95AA451D266B74

380E55456B9318CE6805C7D009C83C10D8AF29C9

1C540B7B6993A04C8D5D74762FEBEBD7972E0679

pvp is ass.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I don't blame people for not liking DS2 too much if they only ever played SOTFS.
Is it even possible to play vanilla ds2? When I bought DS2 the only one on steam was SOTFS and I always hated the games enemy placement
Yes, unlike the original DS1, DS2 was never removed from sales, only delisted, ie you won't see it if you search it in the search bar of steam, but if you have the link, you can buy it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/236430/DARK_SOULS_II/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom