Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
SOFTS would have been justifiable if they reimplemented the lighting system they gutted at the final hour but it's 2022 and we're still waiting on a mod to do that sometime in 2023 but just selling it as a DX9-DX11 upgrade on PC with changed (overwhelmingly worse) enemy placement at a $24.99 upgrade price was bullshit.
Never forget what they took away from you.

The lighting is not the only thing downgraded. This video breaks down the changes made to the game relative to the pre-release footage.

Note that the build really existed and wasn't just some premade cg. Some of it was left in the playstation network test build that anyone could try, you can see the quality of the lighting in the chariot fight here :

The general graphical downgrade, while a huge disappointment and I wish they had warned people when the game released to avoid the whole false marketing thing, is understandable once you look at this video and see how choppy it was on a console of the time. When they started devving on PC (and DS2 is easily the one From software game that ran the best on PC on release day. After this misadventure, the PC became a second ciizen for From once again, an after thought. ER shows it best.) they got overly ambitious and forgot about console resources. The new graphical assets look like shit because they had to rush to make new assets that fit a static lighting model (remember that changing lighting models in an engine requires changing assets/textures to fit the model or else you end up with terrible results, see some of the stuff that happened in the DS1 remaster that had a new lighting model and looked worse than DS1)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So if anyone is tempted to fight the unique blue Golem above the Radahn arena (you have to drop down from the Caelid Minor Erdtree area, it's a tricky drop and you WILL die a few times)....don't.

Spent hour fighting him and all I got was 6k runes and nothing else.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So if anyone is tempted to fight the unique blue Golem above the Radahn arena (you have to drop down from the Caelid Minor Erdtree area, it's a tricky drop and you WILL die a few times)....don't.

Spent hour fighting him and all I got was 6k runes and nothing else.

Holy shit. Meanwhile, whacking a dragon that doesn't even fight back for 5 minutes or so awards you with 90k souls (with gold chicken foot).

Perkel

Arcane
unknown.png

Mortmal

Arcane
Finally finished it, 134 hours, only a few minor locations to clear up. Was a blast but the last fights were far overturned, and cant remember more sketchy and obscure quest lines. I uncorevered sellen large quest line by sheer luck, then had to read the wiki twice to figure it out.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
SOFTS would have been justifiable if they reimplemented the lighting system they gutted at the final hour but it's 2022 and we're still waiting on a mod to do that sometime in 2023 but just selling it as a DX9-DX11 upgrade on PC with changed (overwhelmingly worse) enemy placement at a $24.99 upgrade price was bullshit.
Never forget what they took away from you.

I never cared that much about the downgrade, but man they really butchered the atmosphere from the Forest of the fallen giants.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Nah, but srsly, invasions are currently plagued with faggots running a human centipede of summons. Same shit as with DS3.

Tbf, I play Souls games exclusively offline and will do the same with Elden Ring, once I get around to it. I just don't see the appeal of PvP with Souls' combat system and summoning other players to help you out (primarily with bosses) always felt sort of like cheating to me.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Nah, but srsly, invasions are currently plagued with faggots running a human centipede of summons. Same shit as with DS3.

Tbf, I play Souls games exclusively offline and will do the same with Elden Ring, once I get around to it. I just don't see the appeal of PvP with Souls' combat system and summoning other players to help you out (primarily with bosses) always felt sort of like cheating to me.

I usually like some Souls PVP, even as janky as it is, but Elden Ring really feels like a single player game to me. It doesn't feel like the pvp or co-op components would add anything at all to the experience, and might even detract from it for me, unlike in the Soulsborne line of games.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I decided to try a mage build and realized it's complete easy mode. Smashed two magma dragons with purple rocks. Gonna get the laser magic to oneshot bosses next.

Btw, I fully endorse this concept. Mages should be weak at the start and then insanely overpowered in the late game.

I realize that they can be cheesed in PVP, especially at lower levels, but you can always respec later, and I've seen some competitive mage builds do just fine in PVP on YouTube.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Mages should be weak at the start and then insanely overpowered in the late game.

Doesn't really work in a game where you can re-spec, giving you the option to entirely skip that pain of being an early-level mage.
Respec is metagaming though. You can always choose not to do it. Just like you can choose to ironman, or choose to look up a guide to where all the cool mage gear is instead of discovering it for yourself. It's up to the player.

(Btw, if you look up said guides, there really isn't much pain in being a low level mage, which kind of sucks, but it's your fault for metagaming. Just like it's on you if you skip ahead to find the power armor in Fallout.)

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
(Btw, if you look up said guides, there really isn't much pain in being a low level mage)

I've seen some people say that one of the best Mage spells in the entire game is the spell you get at character creation if you pick the right Class, which I guess also removes some of that early-game pain even without metagaming.

From what I've seen and read, though, I am a little disappointed in Mage spells. Maybe that was too much to hope for and not realistic, but I half-expected them to do more with magic and introduce new mechanics to it, well beyond what we had in the Souls games. I wasn't expecting a Morrowind-tier magic system, but still, based on what I've seen, it looks like most spells are just variations of "blue stuff comes out of your staff and does damage", and like I said previously, it looks like most of such spells are actually inferior to the basic, starting spell.

I just want to say the most bullshit thing about this game is that the setting for auto ui doesn't hide the garbage compass on the ui, you can only get rid of it by turning off the ui entirely :argh:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I've seen some people say that one of the best Mage spells in the entire game is the spell you get at character creation if you pick the right Class, which I guess also removes some of that early-game pain even without metagaming.
Not sure which spell you're referring to. But all early game spells get outclassed by other spells eventually. I've seen people spamming Glintstone Pebble or Arc if they don't know where and how to get more spells, but compared to the rock throw spell, for example, they're nothing. Swift Glintstone Pebble may be what they're referring to, but it doesn't come until later.

From what I've seen and read, though, I am a little disappointed in Mage spells. Maybe that was too much to hope for and not realistic, but I half-expected them to do more with magic and introduce new mechanics to it, well beyond what we had in the Souls games. I wasn't expecting a Morrowind-tier magic system, but still, based on what I've seen, it looks like most spells are just variations of "blue stuff comes out of your staff and does damage", and like I said previously, it looks like most of such spells are actually inferior to the basic, starting spell.
Well, I'd say you need to see more spells then.

From what I've seen 99% of spells suck when compared to the over tuned weapon arts system. Icerind axe, moonveil, sword of night and flames, sword of blasphemy, etc etc.

From what I've seen 99% of spells suck when compared to the over tuned weapon arts system. Icerind axe, moonveil, sword of night and flames, sword of blasphemy, etc etc.
Can any of those oneshot any boss in the game?

Well I've seen speed runners 2 shot bosses with the sword of night and flame, achievable pretty much with no boss requirements, isn't dependent on the flask of physick, and doesn't take nearly 70 int. Anyways congratulations on posting the 1% of spells that don't suck while the rest of the 99% are basically garbage.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Well, I'd say you need to see more spells then.

Most of them are still just different flavors of doing direct damage, though. The small handful of buffs basically just boost numbers (more damage negation on the shield, more damage on your weapon etc). I can't tell if there are any crowd control spells or debuffs and the only mechanics-altering spells I see is that semi-invisibility one. Perhaps spells that would let you turn enemies against one another or levitate or stuff like that would not work well within this system and would break the game, but I was kinda hoping they'd expand the magic system beyond what we had in Souls games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom