Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Well I've seen speed runners 2 shot bosses with the sword of night and flame, achievable pretty much with no boss requirements, isn't dependent on the flask of physick, and doesn't take nearly 70 int. Anyways congratulations on posting the 1% of spells that don't suck while the rest of the 99% are basically garbage.
You seem upset.

Sword of Night and Flame? Isn't that basically just the same comet spell (and a fire spell) but in a sword?

Wow. You really showed me. :roll:
good luck actually hitting a boss with this. Most of them don't stand in one place.
As the video says, you can distract them with a summon.

The difference between magic and whatever speedrunner gimmick is that it takes zero skill. 70 int and the flask isn't much of a requirement either, when you consider that magic melts most bosses in a few clicks, crushing the early game and breezing you through midgame in no time.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I heard that split damage isn't as bad here as it was in previous games. I would think that goes a long way in making magic overpowered.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Is Elden Ring an RPG

It's like Skyrim without nude mods
It makes me think the devs saw people creating "turn skyrim into dork souls" combat overhaul mods and realized they can make their own Dork Souls of Skyrim.
The open world sucks, is what I'm trying to say.

If that's the case they made the same mistake as everybody else (especially Ubishit lmao) makes when trying to "copy" the Bethesda formula.

Skyrim isn't "open world", it's a LARPing simulator (a very shallow one, but that's still what it is).

Open world works for that game for the same reason is also worked for Stalker, while Elden Ring seems to be closer to Shitcry and other bullshit "open world" modern gaymes (didn't Metal Gear also go open world? I would think From was actually paying attention to Kojima too). There's probably something to be said why walking in an empty forest (or a desert in the case of Fallout) for an hour works in one game but not in an another, and it probably has something to do with the fact in a LARPing simulator all the mechanics and fourth wall breaking shit are hidden behind the illusion created by the "realism", not to mention all the emergent possibilities usually found in games that are more sandbox oriented as opposed to games that are locked behind recycled mechanics and systems which is what most "open world" games are today.

Sunri

Liturgist
You seem upset.

Sword of Night and Flame? Isn't that basically just the same comet spell (and a fire spell) but in a sword?

Somehow you missed the part where it has a faster cast time and less stat investment but sure I'm 100% upset at my inability to make any counter points, unlike you surely.

you can distract them with a summon.
:lol:

thelegend

Learned
I finally resolved the stuttering mess for this game for amd radeon . But still Iam getting stuttering near tree sentinel.
Enable Radeon enhanced sync and switch off vertical refresh

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You seem upset.

Somehow you missed the part where it has a faster cast time and less stat investment but sure I'm 100% upset at my inability to make any counter points, unlike you surely.

you can distract them with a summon.
:lol:
The weapon art version of spells also tenda to cost less FP which makes them far more practical for dungeon exploration etc. Even something as innocuous as the glintblade 4 projectiles waiting to aggro on an enemy spell is better in a weapon than as a spell.
I'm really tired of the supreme retards showing the mixed physik bullshit that takes you 50 tries to get to happen once right, I've seen someone do that on Malenia there is no way they did that in just one try and I can guarantee you will have a better life going on her with a rivers of blood spam than trying to get comet of azur working there. Also, it's a use once kind of thing and there is more to life than bosses.

The reason why people say glintstone pebble is the only good spell is because it's the only spell they can use without running out of FP while exploring a legacy dungeon. Besides the fact that the more damaging spells have a high tendency to miss the target by being slow, big and often hitting walls and furniture, they cost an unreasonable amount of FP compared to the amount of utility they provided. Something like the "throw a moon at the enemy" cost about as much as 10 uses of moonveil weapon art but it's only worth two weapon art action, is much slower and more prone to miss.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
vtTtY0c.jpg

Dark Moon, one of the end of the world spells : 1261 damage, super slow to cast, easy to interrupt, super slow projectile, humongous cost of fp - bar was full before spell was cast.

b8VfbX8.jpg

Dark Moon Greatsword
1649 damage, moderately fast, not as AoE though obviously, can BE CAST AN INFINITE AMOUNT OF TIME AS LONG AS THE BUFF IS UP, buff cost a low amount of FP, can stagger enemies very quickly when used in melee range (though, I know, some of the people playing mages just don't ever want to be in melee).

Since my character can use Dark Moon you know my INT levels are through the roof, yet spells are absolute garbage, I guarantee it. If you use spells over Dark Moon Greatsword, Moonveil and the plenty other cool pointy toys, you just don't get video games.

Shrimp

Liturgist

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
People were moaning endlessly about being invaded while they pick daisies solo. From seem to have listened.
DS2 does invasion the best, just as it does most systems the best.

If you wanna summon help, you have to go human, but you expose yourself to invasions that way. If you want to prevent that you can burn an effigy but it's semi-rare, useful and you don't wanna waste it too much. Perfect.

Shrimp

Liturgist
People were moaning endlessly about being invaded while they pick daisies solo. From seem to have listened.
To be fair that's hardly anything new.
DS2 had the soul memory system which was intended to prevent people who intentionally didn't level up from carrying late game equipment into low level areas at a low level. I think it also made red eye orbs unnecessarily tedious to acquire (and the game had no permanent red eye orb) to the point where almost everyone just use a trainer/cheat engine/whatever to give themselves 99 orbs.
DS3's matchmaking prioritised worlds with a high amount of players causing the invader to often end up in a 1v2 or 1v3 scenario.
Elden Ring's take on invasions is similar to DS3 except it outright makes solo invasions opt-in. Whether this is deliberate to protect solo players or to make up for the game's online component not being tied to a humanity-like system from the Souls game is hard to tell.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
DS2 had the soul memory system which was intended to prevent people who intentionally didn't level up from carrying late game equipment into low level areas at a low level.

This is going to be controversial here since there's a few propvpmlgduelist around but this was the superior system. DS1 really harshly suffered from twinks roaming in the undead burg and around other early areas. Invasion are a cool mechanic but not really when someone one shoots you with a r1. The only people it (soul memory) annoys are people who are obsessed with this whole duelling nonsense like dork souls is a "competitive" game despite the shitty netcode and constant laggy feel. The main point of PVP in the souls is to add another element of surprise and suffering in PVE, not feel like you're the call of dooty mlg kid. I eat the tears of people who obsess over "muh level meta" "muh fedora duel"

DS3 and ER went too far and made invasions completely pointless.

I agree, I never had any problems whatsoever arise because of the soul memory system and I absolutely fucking hated having to purposefully avoid leveling in DS1 if I wanted to keep doing PvP. I was always confused at the amount of people bitching about soul memory like it's some major deal breaker.

Shrimp

Liturgist
Another thing I forgot DS3 had was weapon-based matchmaking on top of the level based matchmaking. Does Elden Ring do something similar or is it only based on your soul level?

Curratum

The only reason people could ever have a positive outlook on this game is that they're still before the last 30 or so percent of the content.

The only reason I keep playing is taking screenshots. The actual game has gone to complete shit. Crumbling FA is one of the worst area designs I've seen in a From game, on par with the worst bullshit areas of DS2.

The Godskin duo resurrected for me once they were both dead. Is this even supposed to behave like this? When they were both dead, their healthbar on the bottom was at 50%, then they just both resurrected.

I have never been so disappointed with a game that I initially enjoyed a lot.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The Godskin duo resurrected for me once they were both dead. Is this even supposed to behave like this? When they were both dead, their healthbar on the bottom was at 50%, then they just both resurrected.

Yes, it's how the fight is supposed to work. If both are dead, they'll respawn on their own, if one is alive, at one point you see him casting an animation to resurrect the other if you don't kill it fast enough.

I, however, quite liked Farum. It's a lot more content dense than the walking sim of the capital city (I count the sewers as a wholly different level), there's no useless waste of space like those white blob enemies, the place doesn't have obnoxious very long range bowmen (because the area design doesn't suit such), it's a genuine visual treat and doesn't feel as lazy as Anor Londo act 3 and the more secret-ish areas had items that felt very rewarding to get. The last boss of Farum is also one of the better ones of ER mainline bosses.

The only thing I could complain about is the flying pests, but the game really is too fond of this enemy type and I wish they had never been introduced.

Curratum

Maybe, maybe. The area in general tends to run at 30-something fps for me so precision dodging is practically impossible so I just cheese everything I can.

Andnjord

Arcane
Bros, is it possible to get rid of the horizontal black bars at the top and bottom of the screen? Dark Souls series are one of the only games where I bother to plug the computer into the TV, let me enjoy my full screen goddamnit! :argh:

Also, I obviously managed to die like a fool juuuuust before finding this game's waifu losing 3000 souls runes in the process. Typical :lol:

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Imho the fat guy main problem is a little like Malenia but not as bad : it's all about one single retarded move that is so much worse than the others, the infinite rolling bullshit. It's easier to avoid than Malenia's spam, but you need to make sure to always fight him close to a corner somewhere where you can hide behind whenever you see him prepare to roll because surviving the rolling is completely left to luck. I raged when I fought its first incarnation close to a divine tower because I fought him in the open, big mistake.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Godskin duo
I just wish everyone would just never mention these bosses ever again, so that I could simply forget they exist. The fat guy could very well be the worst enemy in gaming history.

I honestly don't get the fuss with these guys, I still had a ton of flasks left when I killed them. Ashes summon distracts one whilst you focus the other down. Gang up on second. Repeat when they respawn.

I thought the Crucible Knight duo boss fight was much worse, even with the mimic tear that took a couple of attempts.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Ashes summon distracts one whilst you focus the other down. Gang up on second. Repeat when they respawn.

I thought the Crucible Knight duo boss fight was much worse, even with the mimic tear that took a couple of attempts.
Some people do attempts without calling upon summons first, and only call as last resort, ya know.

IMHO the divine tower of liurnia fat guy is a little worse on his own than the duo version because 1/ the area doesn't make it quite clear that you can in fact get his roll stuck in a corner the way the pillars do in duo 2/ at this early point in the game you likely don't have enough vigor to survive the infinite roll even by luck 3/ you can't summon cheese this one because you can't summon in that area.

I didn't personally struggle on the duo, but I recognize the fatso as one of From's worst design mechanically, same as Malenia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom