Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Curratum

q40cys5.jpg

Tired of fighting the FPS and shitty camera instead of the bosses. Deleted this garbage. Don't @ me, boys. Unsubscribing from this thread.

GPI6HJ8.gif

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some people do attempts without calling upon summons first, and only call as last resort, ya know.

Don't complain the fights are too hard with one breath whilst complaining the tools they give you make the game too easy with another.

Or to put it another way, the bosses don't play fair so why should I?

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
q40cys5.jpg

Tired of fighting the FPS and shitty camera instead of the bosses. Deleted this garbage. Don't @ me, boys. Unsubscribing from this thread.

GPI6HJ8.gif

That would be unfortunate, everything past Maliketh is easier. (pro tip : ground AoEs are easily avoidable by.. jumping and you get to attack the enemy with a jump attack at the same time, this is very effective for Godfrey)

Curratum

q40cys5.jpg

GPI6HJ8.gif

That would be unfortunate, everything past Maliketh is easier. (pro tip : ground AoEs are easily avoidable by.. jumping and you get to attack the enemy with a jump attack at the same time, this is very effective for Godfrey)

I can't do shit, man. At least half my inputs get eaten or come out at the wrong time due to the spectacularly shitty FPS in this arena. It's just RNG at this point and I don't have the nerves to deal with it anymore.

Shrimp

Liturgist
On a serious note about NPC questlines, some of them do seem a bit fishy even by the usual From Software standards.
I felt like I sort of just stopped encountering a lot of them during the second half of the game so when I was close to finishing it I looked up how to resolve them or at least to see how they ended in case I already had passed a point of no return for their quests.
According to what I read online it seems like a lot of people suspect that the final parts of the questlines are either outright cut content or currently inaccessible - either due to bugs or simply some insane combination of triggers and event flags that no one has discovered yet. For instance dataminers have found loads of unused dialogue etc. that implies there is (or should have been) more to some of the NPC stories which currently end very abruptly. Some examples include:
  • Nepheli Loux who, if you don't give her Seluvis' potion to turn her into one of his puppets, spends almost the entire game just hanging around in the Roundtable Holds while requesting some time to think. NPCs usually don't stick around like this solely for the sake of being decoration. Her last name implies she's related to Godfrey/Hoarah Loux, but to my knowledge this is not explored anywhere in the game. Apparently dataminers claim that she's also supposed to be involved with some other NPC named Kenneth's quest, but it doesn't seem like anyone has figured out how to initiate this.
  • Diallos, the cowardly noble who starts out in the Roundtable Hold, sets out to avenge the murder of his servant but ends up joining the Volcano Manor instead. Here he realises he was deceived, laments his actions and... just disappears for the rest of the game? It feels like a very abrupt ending to his personal story since you'd expect him to want to redeem himself in some way. Dataminers say that apparently he's supposed to move to the jar warrior village where he ends up dying while defending them from a poacher or something. This sounds like a more classic *Souls NPC ending, but unfortunately he just doesn't show up in Jarburg at all. Is it bugged, cut content or just hidden behind some insanely obscure event flag? No one knows.
  • On the topic of jars, Alexander does have a clear story (although it could've used 1 or 2 more optional points where you could encounter him if you ask me) that ultimately ends when you defeat him in a duel in the game's final area. This seems thorough enough, but one of the items he leaves behind is a key item named Alexander's Innards which no one has any clue what to do with. It disappears upon entering NG+ so the developers evidently want you to use it within your current playthrough even though there still is no known use for it. Dataminers once again reveal that some little jar warrior in Jarburg is supposed to be Alexander's nephew whom you can give the innards to - except that little jar warrior isn't there. Yet another key item with no known use.
Now, it's worth keeping in mind that the game only is like two weeks old so there's definitely still a chance that people simply haven't found out how to reach certain progression points in the quests. On the other hand I'd like to believe that if certain NPC questline related things were attainable, then people would've discovered them by now. A lot of these feel like oversights which leaves the players in a state of limbo where no one knows if the quests are bugged, cut content or if they still are working as intended but no one has discovered how to proceed with them. These issues might get resolved in a future patch, but I do hope they aren't just planning on sweeping them under the rug with the intention of eventually fixing them with the release of DLC or some definitive™ edition.
Oh right, I forgot about Patches who also seemingly permanently disappears from the game once you kill a specific shardbearer boss.
Whether this is intentional or not it's still vastly different from his DS1 and DS3 equivalents who both become merchants in your hub at the end of their NPC questlines It's one of those cases where it technically could be the conclusion to his story, but the player's past experiences with him makes you wonder if there's more it than what we currently know.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Somehow you missed the part where it has a faster cast time and less stat investment but sure I'm 100% upset at my inability to make any counter points, unlike you surely.
Faster cast time, less investment, but still the same spell.

I see you're still being snippy for no reason. Keep being butthurt at random things online I guess. Doesn't affect me, faggot. :M
The reason why people say glintstone pebble is the only good spell is because it's the only spell they can use without running out of FP while exploring a legacy dungeon.
I think it's more that they're exaggerating. As are you.

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Spamming a boss in the back while it’s being distracted isn’t exactly the same as facing it solo. I don’t like the summoning mechanics, it cheapens boss fights.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Spamming a boss in the back while it’s being distracted isn’t exactly the same as facing it solo. I don’t like the summoning mechanics, it cheapens boss fights.
Isn't that the whole point of them? It's another easy mode.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

That's fine and admirable, but you lose any right to complain about the difficulty if you are on a self imposed challenge.

FROM clearly intended ashes to be used on the vast majority of fights, otherwise they wouldn't have created a whole mechanic around upgrading them and also disabled them for specific fights.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Ashes are an easy mode for all players. Mage builds are easy mode for people who can't into all the timing of melee. The item that chains Margit is an easy mode for people who find the first boss fight too difficult. Etc.

I don't think it's that they intend ashes to be used for every boss battle. I think it's their way of making the game more accessible without including a difficulty slider that gimps the entire game and takes all the challenge out of it.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
I don't think it's that they intend ashes to be used for every boss battle.

If that was the case they wouldn't have carefully decided which bosses ashes were and weren't allowed on. The bosses that don't allow the use of ashes are rather noticeably more forgiving with attack windows and openings.

Curratum

The issue with this whole bullshit and summons is, there is no baseline difficulty anymore.

In previous games, if you summon, you do it before the boss fog, and the boss becomes a fat bastard who is harder to kill, so a lot were easier to solo.

In this game, the majority of "main" bosses are hideously cheesy and overtuned, but when you summon X in the arena, the boss HP doesn't increase. You're neither here, nor there. It's either unfair balls to the wall bullshit if you solo, or complete stompage and full-on easy mode with summons. There is no real balance, no "baseline" standard for difficulty.

It's too hard to solo, it's too easy with a summon, the middle ground is missing. Which just leaves you with a bitter taste in your mouth at the end of the day and you feel like you accomplished nothing and wasted your time with the game.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
If that was the case they wouldn't have carefully decided which bosses ashes were and weren't allowed on. The bosses that don't allow the use of ashes are rather noticeably more forgiving with attack windows and openings.
Actually, that proves my point, not yours. If they left them on for every fight, you could say they're a gameplay mechanic. But since they pick and choose, it's clearly because they know some fights are more difficult than others and need something to give the player some help.

It's not like only certain ashes work on some bosses, but can't be turned on others. It's an all or nothing. Either you get the ashes or not. That's why you can use the mimic ash on the same fight you can use the wolf ash. It isn't about some carefully crafted boss fight experience that requires ashes to work. It's about you needing extra help, and you having some say as to the form of said help.

Like I said, they still want the boss fights to be challenging. If they include a difficulty slider, most players will just use it. Low impulse control and all that. That's why they don't let you use them for every boss fight. Because they want the challenge to be there.

Cromwell

Arcane
Magic isnt "easy mode". I tried to start as a mage and got some results but opted for using my shitty club upgrading it and clubbing through the game until I changed the weapon (after I could reskill). How is it easy mode if you have to gallop through half the world to get a bucket list of items which then help against bosses you could easily whack with the sword in half the time. The only spell I really missed was the light because I could use it and not switch away my shield, I stull used the pebble to maybe pull stuff. Magic is spending 10 hours trying to solve a problem because youre too lazy to invest the 3 hours it takes to force it because youre not as good as someone who forces it in 1.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Yes, this is the purists bitching again. They do this with all FROM games. They declare certain tools to be "easy mode" and then complain when they can't do the content "as the game should be".

The game is designed to be a challenge, to beat that challenge you use every tool available to you. If you don't use every tool you lose your right to complain about the difficulty, that is all.

If you want to suffer through self-imposed challenges, that's on you.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
It's too hard to solo, it's too easy with a summon, the middle ground is missing. Which just leaves you with a bitter taste in your mouth at the end of the day and you feel like you accomplished nothing and wasted your time with the game.
Or you can just either be a mage (or look up a guide to get an OP weapon) and oneshot bosses with relatively low time investment. :M
Magic isnt "easy mode". I tried to start as a mage and got some results but opted for using my shitty club upgrading it and clubbing through the game until I changed the weapon (after I could reskill). How is it easy mode if you have to gallop through half the world to get a bucket list of items which then help against bosses you could easily whack with the sword in half the time. The only spell I really missed was the light because I could use it and not switch away my shield, I stull used the pebble to maybe pull stuff. Magic is spending 10 hours trying to solve a problem because youre too lazy to invest the 3 hours it takes to force it because youre not as good as someone who forces it in 1.
Yes, you're too lazy. Hence, "easy mode". Wtf is so hard to understand about that?

:deathclaw:

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Mage builds are easy mode for people who can't into all the timing of melee.

There are disadvantages to using a Mage in boss fights however:
  1. less flasks available for healing
  2. Using flasks more often to fill up force as well and being vulnerable more often
  3. Having to keep your distance in order to have time to cast a spell without being hit
  4. Less HP, not as protective equipment (depending on the build of course)
So using might be easier than dodge rolling in close combat. It’s certainly easier than learning to perfectly parry each attack.

Using summons is just a clear advantage without any drawbacks. It’s the thing you do to make boss fights easier. If people want to use them, that’s fine. I used summons for the first boss fight at the castle then I started a new game because it felt like cheating.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Yes, this is the purists bitching again. They do this with all FROM games. They declare certain tools to be "easy mode" and then complain when they can't do the content "as the game should be".
What? lol. I'm no from soft purist. I'm just remarking on the differences between the melee and magic playstyles, especially during early and mid game. (And to the spergs: provided you didn't look up X speedrun guide to get Y OP weapon in 5 minutes. :roll: )
The game is designed to be a challenge, to beat that challenge you use every tool available to you. If you don't use every tool you lose your right to complain about the difficulty, that is all.

If you want to suffer through self-imposed challenges, that's on you.
And how is that different from a difficulty slider?

This is why I called it an easy mode. Because it reduces the difficulty of a fight. In absence of a slider, it's the same function. "I beat the fight on hard" becomes "I beat the fight without summons or cheese weapons".
So using might be easier than dodge rolling in close combat. It’s certainly easier than learning to perfectly parry each attack.
Yep. That's my point.

And I'd say the lack of healing flasks and higher HP is balanced out by the fact that (in most cases) you have distance between you and your enemy. On the whole, it's a way to bypass all the difficult aspects of melee builds, but with certain obvious drawbacks.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Or you can just either be a mage (or look up a guide to get an OP weapon) and oneshot bosses with relatively low time investment.
Yup magic is easy mode if you look up a guide and sequence break to run around the map and get all the accessories and rock sling and then the one shot spell. Congrats bro you discovered that rpgs are easy when you metagame overpowered builds.

Cromwell

Arcane
Yes, you're too lazy. Hence, "easy mode". Wtf is so hard to understand about that?

how is it easy for lazy people when I have to spend literall hours to get everything together? The one shot build needs 60 int. You nead to reach gelmir which isnt easily possible ( I tried) the fastest way is blocked by a boss you cant pebble away at level 20 or whatever. Every of theese easy strategies usually needs a more or less long setup, so if you do that you could just as well play the game normally.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

The whole beelining to X place to grab an item vital to your build was a thing since we all went for Astora's straight sword and the drake shield in DS1. In ER the travel time is just...longer. But the time you spend assembling a handful of items (I think I spent like 2 hours grabbing stuff) saves you a TON of time later on. With my new Magic + Stormveil build I've noticed a significant drop in overall difficulty. That and I'm making liberal usage of player summons (gotta get my money's worth).

but when you summon X in the arena, the boss HP doesn't increase. You're neither here, nor there. It's either unfair balls to the wall bullshit if you solo, or complete stompage and full-on easy mode with summons. There is no real balance, no "baseline" standard for difficulty.

Not true, boss HP definitely increases dramatically with summons. It's quite noticeable in the Rennala fight, where you can take down half her HP solo, but can only take a quarter if your coop partner doesn't know WTF he is supposed to do in that fight. I've been having a bit of frustration with coop due to the sheer amount of utterly incompetent hosts. I'm currently preferring AI allies over humans when I need a summon, lel.

how is it easy for lazy people when I have to spend literall hours to get everything together? The one shot build needs 60 int. You nead to reach gelmir which isnt easily possible ( I tried) the fastest way is blocked by a boss you cant pebble away at level 20 or whatever. Every of theese easy strategies usually needs a more or less long setup, so if you do that you could just as well play the game normally.

Just take the Meteorite Staff + Rocksling and you're good to go. Later on add Monveil and you're all set, you can grab the other stuff normally. It's what I did.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Yup magic is easy mode if you look up a guide
Do you really need to? Am I the only one that got trapped over to the meteorite staff area (despite reading the warnings posted by others) without a guide? It's right by the starting area.
Congrats bro you discovered that rpgs are easy when you metagame overpowered builds.
If you say so, nigger. Even glintstone pebble trivializes most early game content fighting blind.

Take down a giant? Oh, yeah, you could learn the timing to dodge between its legs, learn its animations to anticipate when its going to jump or stomp or whatever. Or you could just get on a horse and spam one spell.

"N-no, that's not easy! You're metagaming!"

Lol, ok, faggot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom