Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Villagkouras

Arcane
All I want is to treat fast travel differently than they do after DS1. After a lot of thinking as to why DS1 applies more to me, I think that it's the sense of adventure it has with the classic example of the descend to Blighttown, which can't be replicated if there is fast travel everywhere.

Maybe make fast travel inaccessible when reaching a new area, before finding a specific item or doing a specific action?

I love when I have to go forward because there is no going back.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
All I want is to treat fast travel differently than they do after DS1. After a lot of thinking as to why DS1 applies more to me, I think that it's the sense of adventure it has with the classic example of the descend to Blighttown, which can't be replicated if there is fast travel everywhere.

Maybe make fast travel inaccessible when reaching a new area, before finding a specific item or doing a specific action?

I love when I have to go forward because there is no going back.

I actually liked DS2 idea that enemies are disappear if you kill them more than 12 (?) times. It should make backtracking less boring. Anyway, DS2 was the point where fast travel appeared...

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fast travel is fine, but not from the start. Basically DS1 method. They shouldn't have changed it in following games.

When you are pretty advanced in the campaign, the unlocked map is too big, and shortcuts are not enough anymore to avoid painful backtrack, you are closing some latter areas, farming some specific thing, trying diferent paths,etc, is fine.

But you can't steal a player the feeling of dread and tension you had descending into Depths->Blightown, ascending Undead parish to find the miraculous shortcut, or pushing upwards in the nasty Sen's Fortress. Summarizing, venturing into the unknown with high stakes involved, but knowing you will have eventual reward for your effort; not knowing when and where.

That's the reason DS1 is the best Souls game. It's a wonderfully designed adventure, even when some parts in the endgame are not so well done as the early game, although there are some high quality areas.

Who cares about PvP balance? Go play a real fighting game, scrub.
Or basic enemies being easy to backstab. That's why the environments are dangerous and encounter design is top notch.

Nobody will remember some minor "improvements" in combat in DS3 some years from now. But DS1 world design will be studied and imitated forever in gaming history. And DS2-DS3 lost the best aspect of DS1 in return of minor improvements.

Wunderbar

Arcane
There is a number of downsides to the "no bonfire warp at the start" design.

1) it makes it harder to design the cohesive world
2) it makes it harder to design individual locations because now you can't just shuffle them around or cut them if they are not ready to be shipped
3) it makes it harder to balance the difficulty curve because the player may get stuck without means to get back
4) it would force Fromsoft to put merchants and other important NPCs somewhere in the world so the player would be able to access them without backtracking all the way back to the hub
5) it would force Fromsoft to add a level up option to the bonfire instead of levelling up at another Maiden in black ripoff

Designing locations individually and putting important NPCs into a hub area is way easier.

Perkel

Arcane
Demon's already had perfect system. No bonfire untill you kill area boss. The shortcuts you unlock make it easier to reach boosfight and they are legit shortcuts in that system.

Moreover it had build in anti-spam in form of reduced life after each time you die. So you couldn't just willy nilly run through level. Same anti-spam was also remedy for health recovery spam items as with half of life you woud die in one good combo and no health items would help you then.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
ywxe8sz21nk61.jpg

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/klaf0j/elden_ring_finished_development_phase_months_ago/

1. Elden Ring will be very well accepted by Dark Souls fans since the game will be very similar to it.

2. The game finished development phase when Covid started spreading and, due to Covid situation, the polishing phase (8 months typical) got shifted too.

3. The game should've been released during October/November 2020 if Covid wouldn't have made From Software change their plans.
I'm thirsty as fuck.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Sony asks Fromsoft to make a Skyrim-like RPG.
Although this was an amusing post in general, you began by claiming the Souls series was initiated with a request to create a Skyrim-like, even though Skyrim released one month after Dark Souls (October 2011) and another two years after Demon's Souls (October 2009). You might as well state that Sony wanted From Software to develop an Oblivion-like. :rpgcodex:
Japan is in a different time zone. Skyrim was released in 2002 in Japan.

Gearmos

Educated
Which would actually explain its PS2 graphics.

Many complain about the game's graphics, when it's never really been a strong point of FS games. Demon's Souls had horrible graphics even for a PS3 game, and that didn't stop people from enjoying it.

Zeriel

Arcane
Hearing that it's basically just another Dark Souls clone is kind of dispiriting. I was hoping for something new. Then again I guess that's just From's thing, DS was their path to financial success so expecting anything else is probably silly.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Hearing that it's basically just another Dark Souls clone is kind of dispiriting. I was hoping for something new. Then again I guess that's just From's thing, DS was their path to financial success so expecting anything else is probably silly.

Bloodborne was Dark Souls with Victorian Lovecraft, Sekiro was Dark Souls with muh anime. What exactly you were expecting?

Zeriel

Arcane

Bloodborne was Dark Souls with Victorian Lovecraft, Sekiro was Dark Souls with muh anime. What exactly you were expecting?

Usually nothing at all, just the fact they went out their way with this one to seem different I was maybe expecting some innovation. Then again that interview where they said it's basically Dark Souls again could just be marketing. I guess we'll see.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Usually nothing at all, just the fact they went out their way with this one to seem different I was maybe expecting some innovation. Then again that interview where they said it's basically Dark Souls again could just be marketing. I guess we'll see.

I personally see no problem with Miyazaki copying his own masterpiece. As Walter White said "it is very-very rare for a man to be really good at something". Some creators are great enough to do a multiple different great things (like James Cameron with his Terminator, Titanic and Avatar, Blizzard's Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo). Some just do the same thing (that once was great) again and again, reskinning and rethinking it (see Remedy studio and Max Payne). No problem with that.

Zeriel

Arcane

I personally see no problem with Miyazaki copying his own masterpiece. As Walter White said "it is very-very rare for a man to be really good at something". Some creators are great enough to do a multiple different great things (like James Cameron with his Terminator, Titanic and Avatar, Blizzard's Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo). Some just do the same thing (that once was great) again and again, reskinning and rethinking it (see Remedy studio and Max Payne). No problem with that.

For me it's just derivative at this point. But I understand a lot of people like it way more than I do. For me the fun of Dark Souls was purely level design, the gameplay really doesn't appeal to me, so the sequels kind of trend downward for me as the level design suffers a little. Or even if it remains the same, it doesn't hit with the same impact multiple times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom