Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fire is better early game, but Flame Art (fire that scales off faith) is better mid and late game.

Cold on the other hand is NOT a form of elemental damage, it is a status effect, like bleed. Build up status, inflict frostbite. And I really don't see why someone would want this on a STR build, status application is better done with fast weapons and multihits.

I've used Fire with great effect till the end of the game on a Strenght (50+) build. Even with Watchdog's Greatsword and its S Str Heavy scaling, using two-handed stance (effective Str 80+), Fire was STILL outdamaging the Heavy infusion. And with Flame Grant me Strenght, the damage gap only grew wider.

Cold is the name of the enchant type, AFAIR. Technically its Magical damage + Frostbite status buildup. This enchant scales damage well with Strenght (damage about on par with Heavy infusion, maybe a little less - but the added Frostbite triggers make up for it). As opposed to bleed, which has a terrible Str damage scaling. Fast multi-hit weapons might be better for it, but it still works nicely on colossal swords with something like 140 status buildup per hit.
Trough a large part of the game I was Power Stancing Fire (main hand) and Frost (offhand) colossal swords.
Before that I mained Frost Greatsword.

Melmoth

Educated
does anyone have the mod that replaces the overworld music with vangelis and the battle tracks with black sabbath

i saw it on ig but cant find it anywhere

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Hey guys, been a little bit since I’ve been in this thread, but if anyone else was thinking about shelving ER to go back and play Demon’s Souls for the first time, I would definitely recommend it! The combat is MUCH slower. I kind of like how slow and methodical it is. Took me a while to kill the blue glowy boy in the first world, and he kept healing himself, but yeah it was far more forgiving and so much slower than ER. So yeah, if you are digging the atmosphere but want a little bit better intro, I would definitely say to try Demon’s Souls.
Yeah my wife bought it for me for our anniversary. Finally a reason to break out the PS3 again. But damn is it slow compared to Elden Ring...

Caim

Arcane
I encountered a weird bug with the ritual pots you collect to allow you to make and carry more, well, ritual pots. I couldn't find the last one near the end of the game, so I went back to the ruins north-west of the first merchant you meet in Liurnia, which is normally where you find your first pot. And there was my final pot, even though I had already picked that one up.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I encountered this weird bug where I wanted to turn Elden Ring off and not turn it back on again for a long time and go plug my PS3 in and buy this other game people raved about that I traded away for a minor drug deal back in 2010. I chose the Wanderer and made my guy have purple spikey hair like a faggot because I have nobody to show it off to anyway. I know for sure that blurry place off in the distance is not going to be visited by my purple haired faggot.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Volcano Manor, Shaded Castle (or Leyndel underground)
Wtf. Volcano Manor and capital underground are the best dungeons in the game with Shaded Castle possibly the best mini dungeon. You basically skipped the game's best content. :)

Oh well, I guess I can go visit in NG, should I find the motivation to play again (with my new favorite sword now). At least some parts could still be fresh then.

Suicidal

Arcane
Extremely disappointing that Law of Regression, a spell that supposedly "heals all statuses and dispels all special effects" that I only found out about because I was following the wiki on how to do Brother Corhyn's quest (zero shame in that as well, From's quest design can go fuck itself) does not in fact work on Mogh's curse that he puts on you in phase 1 and then activates in phase 2.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Wow, Mt Gelmir is just as easy as Altus. To think i skipped it thinking it was a later game area.

I also rotten breath the demi-human queen. I thought she was a random mook, which i now got into the habit of just sweeping away like dirt as there's no point fighting them since i've seen them all. I just fumigated the whole are then the boss bar appeared lmao.

Not that it matters, she was a complete push over. The bear you meet before her, as usual, was harder.

I also laughted at the duo insect boss in the poison cave. They throw you into Selia's cave (or whatever it's called) almost from the start and then 100 hours late they give you those guys as a boss fight lmao what?

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
After killing Mohg I googled about if it's possible to dispel his curse and turns out it is possible, but you need a very specific item that I didn't have despite having visited the place where you find it.

It could have been a great boss if his unavoidable move that makes you eat through several flasks had at least a couple of methods to counter it. Law of Regression, a spell that's supposed to dispel ALL SPECIAL EFFECTS (I dunno game, that effect seemed pretty special to me) not working in this situation is bullshit. His shackles, that I did have, not working for that is also bullshit. I thought you could interrupt him with the shackles but they don't work neither when he is applying the curse nor when he is activating it. My only option was just to brute force through it by eating potions non stop.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I remember the shakle only worked on the first stage against Margit, so it was a given it would also work like that for Maggot.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I just find it hilarious they both end up in the Library.

Is that room gonna get littered with the mangled corposes of the NPCs i help by the end of the game? Lmao.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
there's another NPC that ends up in a library other than Sellen?
Boc. His corpse is still there.
There is an alternate ending to his questline. If you do not know what it is you'll never find out on your own.

I know what it is we were discussing it before. I just didn't know when i needed to know lul.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned

Nathir

Liturgist
ER is definitely a hundred times more difficult if you try to play it the interesting way: parries, dodges, etc. If you use OP high damage builds or OP weapon ashes or summons, then it's a lot easier.

I just defeated Godfrey/Whore Lou. Didn't even want to record it. Like all late game bosses, utter shit. First phase, the retard is tanky as fuck, and takes forever to take down to half health solo with my build. And he does that fucking stomp like Captain Morgan of rum fame, or a fucking dog with a busted bladder. I got tired of jumping.

Then the 2nd phase, more retardation. Constant grab attacks with few/no tells at all. I still have no idea exactly when to dodge, motherfucker just runs toward you, and you just gotta guess when to dodge.

Like all other late game bosses in this shitfest, I got bored/tired fast, and summoned Mimic Tear. Together, we beat the living fuck out of both phases. Haha, 2nd phase, motherfucker got staggered after 20 hits to the face from both sides, and then reprocessed into pulp. Do I feel good about such cheese? Not at all, but as I said before, if From Software creates this shit for bosses, I am just trying to get through it as fast as possible, to never touch it again.

Godfrey isn't that tanky. In fact for the penultimate boss I'd say he is fairly squishy. Combined with his long power-up animations he can be killed really fast. I think both him and Malekith could actually use additional hp. And I don't think his attacks are that unfair. Everything he does is telegraphed and easy to tell when to dodge. It is true he is very fast and relentless. But then again, most bosses in ER are deliberately designed like this. Combined with the epic, larger than life presentation, it was easily my favourite fight in the game. I never felt he was cheap in any way.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Haven't been here in a minute, just wanted to post to say that this game is a fucking masterpiece. Love most of the bosses, but shamefully called on the Mimic Tear for a few second phases. I regret running to it when Malenia transformed because her "you will experience true horror" or whatever actually shook me, lol. Going into new game plus and going to try a no-summons run, I think I'm capable of doing it now. Every enemy or boss that genuinely frustrated me (like the Death Rite Bird in Caelid, my God) made me appreciate them even more, because their evil transcends simply being inferred by color schemes or disclosed through exposition, and manifests viscerally, accentuating the artists work of their portrayal.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
there's another NPC that ends up in a library other than Sellen?
Boc. His corpse is still there.
There is an alternate ending to his questline. If you do not know what it is you'll never find out on your own.

Come to think of it -- Lyric Suite has never told me that I'm beautiful, either.

:badnews:

There you go:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom