Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Godwyn is the lawful son of Godfrey and Marika, he's not a naturalborn bastard.

REhorror

Educated
After Palworld, From needs to learn what's hot.

EVEN MORE MONSTER ASHES TO COLLECT
AND DON'T MAKE THEM TRANSPARENT, IT'S LAME AS FUCK

IT'S MY MONSTERS/PALS/GUYS/GIRL.

Barbarian

Arcane
Well... murdering Godwyn just to free herself from the Two Fingers was fairly evil.
Do you know what Godwyn did to her?
I don't think he did anything to her.

Is it even clear that she chose him to be targeted?

She stole the rune of death, gave it to the black knives on the condition that she should be slain at the same time as some other empyrean to complete the ritual.

Age of stars ending still sounds like the "good" ending compared to the others. I mean at least by the original japanese text available online(some of her lines were mistranslated). Leave for outer space and leave the lands between without a lord, allowing free will and the cycle of life and death back.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Age of stars ending still sounds like the "good" ending compared to the others. I mean at least by the original japanese text available online(some of her lines were mistranslated). Leave for outer space and leave the lands between without a lord, allowing free will and the cycle of life and death back.
This is a debate though. The outer will did a shit load of good for the lands between before the ring was shattered. And we know everyone respawns so all the guys you killed are coming back either through Godwyn or just plain respawning themselves depending on how death works with the tree built. You and Ranni fuck off leaving a power vacuum and Godwyn being the only remaining 'living' demigod left. Which creates nothing but continued violence. At best there's another large scale war for territory. All the monsters kill each other and scarlet rot spreads across the lands between while Godwyn respawns everything as undead abominations. You escape but the lands between become the worst possible thing in all of From games... A double swamp!

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
She stole the rune of death, gave it to the black knives on the condition that she should be slain at the same time as some other empyrean to complete the ritual.
Still sounds like she set up an innocent's death to further her own goals.

Silva

Arcane
What's provoked Death? You mean normal death? I think destined way is just a way to say you will kill someone for good, considering people respawn when they die destined death is a special term just to to say someone will truly stay dead I think.
That's a shitty label then, because "destined" suggests something related to fate, like a preset time for dying. Once again it seems the English translators pick poetic sounding words that fuck up the original meanings.

It's just a "true death" then. One where one's spirit doesn't go back to the Eardtree for reviving later. In this sense the undead sounds like DS3 hollows of Londor, which found a way to live without souls, also heresy in that setting. Goldwyn = Londor Dark Lord. (Or maybe it's Fia? Don't know her ending details).

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
What's provoked Death? You mean normal death? I think destined way is just a way to say you will kill someone for good, considering people respawn when they die destined death is a special term just to to say someone will truly stay dead I think.
That's a shitty label then, because "destined" suggests something related to fate, like a preset time for dying. Once again it seems the English translators pick poetic sounding words that fuck up the original meanings.

It's just a "true death" then. One where one's spirit doesn't go back to the Eardtree for reviving later. In this sense the undead sounds like DS3 hollows of Londor, which found a way to live without souls, also heresy in that setting. Goldwyn = Londor Dark Lord. (Or maybe it's Fia? Don't know her ending details).
Elden ring doesn't have ending details. Except Ranni it's the exact same ending with a different sky box.

Barbarian

Arcane
Still sounds like she set up an innocent's death to further her own goals.

Maybe I would feel more strongly about it if we knew fuck all about Godwyn's character. Besides him being called "the golden", once defeating a dragon and his descendants being degenerates who graft dead dragon body parts into themselves we know nothing about him before he became the "Death Prince". I also wouldn't blame his present condition on his killers, but rather on his psycho mother who tried to remove natural death from the world.

The player character(you) kills mostly every empyrean he comes across during the game anyway, and they are all pretty much presented as corrupted degenerates clinging to impossible desires and the dead past. The only ones whose behaviour I could at least empathize with besides Ranni would be Malenia and Miquella(sibling loyalty as a lifegoal).

This is a debate though. The outer will did a shit load of good for the lands between before the ring was shattered. And we know everyone respawns so all the guys you killed are coming back either through Godwyn or just plain respawning themselves depending on how death works with the tree built. You and Ranni fuck off leaving a power vacuum and Godwyn being the only remaining 'living' demigod left. Which creates nothing but continued violence. At best there's another large scale war for territory. All the monsters kill each other and scarlet rot spreads across the lands between while Godwyn respawns everything as undead abominations. You escape but the lands between become the worst possible thing in all of From games... A double swamp!

Ending is vague and open to interpretation for a reason.

As I understand it Ranni's "new order" would save "every living being and every living soul" from being bound to the greater will and the erdtree. That could mean they are also free from Godwyn's shenanigans and becoming undead abominations upon death. No idea about the scarlet rot and the banished blood god though.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Maybe I would feel more strongly about it if we knew fuck all about Godwyn's character. Besides him being called "the golden", once defeating a dragon and his descendants being degenerates who graft dead dragon body parts into themselves we know nothing about him before he became the "Death Prince". I also wouldn't blame his present condition on his killers, but rather on his psycho mother who tried to remove natural death from the world.
That's a cope. Sacrificing other people's lives to further your own power is pretty much the definition of evil. And Godwyn was clearly innocent here. Literally dindu nuffin.

The player character(you) kills mostly every empyrean he comes across during the game anyway, and they are all pretty much presented as corrupted degenerates clinging to impossible desires and the dead past. The only ones whose behaviour I could at least empathize with besides Ranni would be Malenia and Miquella(sibling loyalty as a lifegoal).
There's only three empyreans: Ranni, Malenia and Miquella. And Marika, technically.

Barbarian

Arcane
That's a cope. Sacrificing other people's lives to further your own power is pretty much the definition of evil. And Godwyn was clearly innocent here. Literally dindu nuffin.

There's only three empyreans: Ranni, Malenia and Miquella. And Marika, technically.

Depends on who we are talking about and motives. Like I said you as the player character must kill a lot of people during the game to "further your own power". Godwyn could be as evil as the other demigods you battle with during the game. His descendants are pretty evil with their "grafting" and other lovecraftian horrors inflicted on tarnished.

You are right about the term "empyrean", but the other siblings(Radahn, Rykard, Mohg, Godwyn himself, etc) are still "demigods" right.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Godwyn could be as evil
He clearly wasn't though. Godrick is infamous for his grafting and no one has anything good to say about him, whereas no one has anything bad to say about Godwyn. Also, fwiw, Godwyn is clearly based on Baldur, who was as fair in his personality as he was in appearance.

Like I said you as the player character must kill a lot of people during the game to "further your own power".
The ones you kill are either violently insane or evil. You don't even finish off Renalla because she is harmless by herself.

Godwyn was literally stabbed in the back by assassins as a sacrifice for Ranni's personal freedom. That's heinous no matter how you cut it. Sorry, your witch waifu is a bitch.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
As I understand it Ranni's "new order" would save "every living being and every living soul" from being bound to the greater will and the erdtree. That could mean they are also free from Godwyn's shenanigans and becoming undead abominations upon death. No idea about the scarlet rot and the banished blood god though.
One could argue restoring death is evil in a world without it. Death being locked away and a properly restored ring (Gold mask ending) could undo all the corruption and lead to immortal Leonardo davinci and Tesla creating a utopia. It's speculation but you have to justify death existing if you go with Ranni's bullshit.
Depends on who we are talking about and motives. Like I said you as the player character must kill a lot of people during the game to "further your own power". Godwyn could be as evil as the other demigods you battle with during the game. His descendants are pretty evil with their "grafting" and other lovecraftian horrors inflicted on tarnished.
Godwyn doesn't have to be good or bad, but what we know is he was capable of befriending an enemy dragon and helped create dragon magic with his friend and his sister taking human form to run the cult. His death is what causes all the shit to go terribly wrong and his siblings did try to revive him and failed. So if he's a total dick you have to question why his siblings want to fix him and why he's not involved in the shattering and all the faggotry his siblings got up to after. If you want to speculate you could say he was such a bro he held his warring siblings together as a family and once he died from Ranni's selfishness they all died and were turned into leather lamp shades it all fell apart.

Ranni never even explains why the greater will is such a bad thing. If people under it have no free will she was never capable of doing what she did. Nor is the player. The whole concept is so abstract and on a huge timeline (finger readers don't expect replies for an insanely long time if they get one at all) that free will is clearly in effect since nothing is directly controlling any one.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I don't think the Two Fingers have had any communication with the Greater Will (whatever it is) since the Elden Ring was shattered, nor would they ever reach it no matter how long anyone waited.

Barbarian

Arcane

Ranni never even explains why the greater will is such a bad thing. If people under it have no free will she was never capable of doing what she did. Nor is the player. The whole concept is so abstract and on a huge timeline (finger readers don't expect replies for an insanely long time if they get one at all) that free will is clearly in effect since nothing is directly controlling any one.

She doesn't have to explain it. All you have to do is look around and see how terribly it failed.

I'm hoping you didn't somehow get the impression that the lands between was a peaceful utopia before or during Marika's reign, because that is certainly not what the game lore presents. Far from it.

Marika is also a psychotic and backstabbing bitch in the habit of betraying all her loyal right hands. She banished Godfrey and all his armies after her bidding was done. She betrayed Maliketh. Seduced Radagon and left Rennala in a state of mental illness clutching some creepy egg. In fact the fall of Raya Lucaria in a civil war seems to have no direct relation to the shattering, but rather be the doing of Marika's scheming.

Godwyn was literally stabbed in the back by assassins as a sacrifice for Ranni's personal freedom. That's heinous no matter how you cut it.

If Godwyn was anything like his mother or descendants not really.

Barbarian

Arcane
I didn't play Bloodborne or the DS games at launch, so I ask the following question considering how the dlcs for these games was handled:

Do you think the dlc will require a new game? Or I could begin a playthrough now and not miss the dlc content?

Barbarian

Arcane
Don't they "become the same" after they marry? They were different people before.
Where did you get that idea from?

From playing the game... Miriel for instance tells his story and describes him as an outsider that invaded the lands between with a host. That him and Marika are described as "becoming the same person" seemed to me like symbolism or something to do with attaining godhood and sharing it as a couple. I also seem to remember something about Rennala's children only becoming demigods after Radagon becoming Marika's consort - that they weren't demigods before.

If he is somehow herself in disguise or a case of split personality and she managed to impregnate herself... by herself, than that is even more psycho turbo-bitch btw. Makes the banishment of Godrey the ultimate wine aunt fantasy.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Any news about when the DLC launches? I finished Elden Ring last year and NG+ too and wanna to do another run but don't wanna to do before the DLC launches.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
From playing the game... Miriel for instance tells his story and describes him as an outsider that invaded the lands between with a host.
He doesn't know the true story. I'm pretty sure Radagon is Marika is literal and he has never been a different person.

I also seem to remember something about Rennala's children only becoming demigods after Radagon becoming Marika's consort - that they weren't demigods before.
Yea, it would give away the secret if they were automatically acknowledged as demigods. Clearly, the fact that Radagon's children are demigods is yet more proof that he was Marika all along, otherwise how would they inherit the "divine blood"?

If he is somehow herself in disguise or a case of split personality and she managed to impregnate herself... by herself, than that is even more psycho turbo-bitch btw.
Like you wouldn't impregnate yourself by yourself if you could.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom