Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Ravielsk

Magister
What level is everyone doing the DLC at? Sitting at 130, debating if I should level any more or just use the DLC progression items.
Go to 150 as a bare minimum, 200 if you are not into getting one shoted. Unless the majority of your points went to Vigor and nothing else you will die in 1 hit to almost everything. I attempted the DLC with 41 points of vigor and the weakest enemy needed around 5 hits to take me down.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Last night, Elden Ring worked as usual, frame capped and smooth. Post patch, it's unplayable stuttery dog shit. It's like watching a claymation doll have a stroke. Tried a bunch of stuff to sort it out, but it's either something in the patch or beefed up EAC bullshit. This is actually worse performance than the base game had at launch and I haven't even entered into the new zones which are supposedly even worse.

Good times.

Check if the game silently forced Ray Tracing on. I had 60 fps in 4k before on RTX 3080, after installing the DLC, suddenly the game was stuttering. It turned out that Ray Tracing was silently enabled, making performance ass and everything looked bad. After disabling it completely I'm back to 60fps again.

I had it capped with RT set to max before. Post patch, it didn't matter if it was at max or off, same performance.

I suspect the earlier tip about the power consumption is it though. As I recall I changed a setting to run more power efficiently a few weeks back. Didn't screw me on anything until now. :lol:

Thanks though.

Dr1f7

Scholar
developers take notes: this is what great gameplay looks like

er1.gif

10/10 another grand slam miyazeeka

Puukko

Arcane
Last night, Elden Ring worked as usual, frame capped and smooth. Post patch, it's unplayable stuttery dog shit. It's like watching a claymation doll have a stroke. Tried a bunch of stuff to sort it out, but it's either something in the patch or beefed up EAC bullshit. This is actually worse performance than the base game had at launch and I haven't even entered into the new zones which are supposedly even worse.

Good times.

Check if the game silently forced Ray Tracing on. I had 60 fps in 4k before on RTX 3080, after installing the DLC, suddenly the game was stuttering. It turned out that Ray Tracing was silently enabled, making performance ass and everything looked bad. After disabling it completely I'm back to 60fps again.
This wasn't the case on my end, though I did notice a moderate increase in stutters over the fairly smooth experience I've had thus far. My 5800X3D can push about 100 fps in the overworld, and in practice I'm mostly in the 65-80 range (6800XT+4K+Reshade), yet I get enough stutters to where it bothered me enough to investigate whether I could improve it. Not really, and the minimums drop into the 40s fairly often. I'm playing lightly modded (not sure how much my HD textures affect the new area) until Reforged is brought up to speed, and also always offline.

The new area does appear more demanding, and the bit you start off in is vegetation heavy. Expect maybe a 10-20% performance drop vs base game.

Removal

Scholar
Go to 150 as a bare minimum, 200 if you are not into getting one shoted.
seems about right, I went in at 150 and get obliterated
definitely seems like they doubled down on some of the worst aspects of Elden Ring for boss design tbh. They need to fire the guy who keeps pushing the "ignites swords and leaps across the area" move

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
If any Fromsoft game needed a quickstart character option to just jump straight into the DLC, it's Elden Ring. It does look good but I just can't be bothered spending tens of hours getting a character up to the point of being able to play it.

Old Hans

Arcane
If any Fromsoft game needed a quickstart character option to just jump straight into the DLC, it's Elden Ring. It does look good but I just can't be bothered spending tens of hours getting a character up to the point of being able to play it.
Japanese game developers view QuickStart characters as dishonorable & this stems from the old rpg days of Wizardry 1

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Invading isn't as fun as in Souls as most ppl play the game in coop with 2 or 3 companions.
It's not even that, they changed the mechanics so invading only works on people with a co-op summon, except in specific zones. Too many players complained after DS1.
you sure about that? I recall invasions being fine 1 v 1 in the DS2 SOTFS days
Maybe it started in DS3, but yes, you can't get invaded solo in Elden ring unless you have a certain item.

Ravielsk

Magister
I have reached the porcupine Rhino and I have to say I am getting the impression that a good chunk of the DLC was done rather hastily. For example there are constant upgrade materials around the place but its all low level 1-4 shards, you know the ones I and anyone who can beat Mohg have an infinite supply of at the Roundtable hold. Almost as if the levels were made for early game and then level scaled to higher levels later on.

I also still cannot shake the feeling that the game balance expect me to have all the runes active all at once. Even with about 8+ blessings it still feels like I have about half as much HP and DPS as I should. I literary had to employ the rotten breath cheese strategy to take down some dudes because while they can take me down in a single combo I need about 3-5 good hits(which no longer stagger them) to down them.

Also the UI for blessing just screams "last minute addition". The sort of plain text with a number in brackets is exactly how modders implement their crap except in their case its because they have no better method but here it feels like they realized like a month before release that the DLC is overtuned for anyone who is not an insane overleveler and slapped in the blessings as a band aid.

Mortmal

Arcane
Started the DLC at lv 130. Rellana is destroying me so much that I will move back to main game to get more levels... This DLC is quite hard and I like it.
It seems frost magic works well there. Use Mimic, the NPC summon. First, cast some Dark Moon to debuff, then just spam Ice Bolt and dodge. It's easier than doing it with other people, who are often dieing very very fast in two strikes most of the time. It's more than ever a dodge simulator. I've seen people enter there with heavy tank builds, and it doesn't matter at all; they get two-shot too. No point in most of the gear as its going to simply slow you down and you cant simply afford being hit at all.

Mauman

Scholar
The cherry on tip is that,
Radahn is gay
in a game with gender-bender final boss?
huh
Except I was under the impression that he wasn't. Or at least we don't know his orientation, we're just aware he's
not into incest

As for this "promise", something tells me it's
Miquella being an entitled self-delusional shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom