Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The DLC is too hard. So what? This is a good thing, not a bad thing. I got my ass kicked by many bosses in this DLC, playing at SL 130, and I like that I need to find better strategies and improve myself to challenge some bosses. That is the point of any soulsborn game.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I lost track of the number of times I've come across these bitch made punks who say the same shit.

"We-we-well i beated dis many Souls games and I is weely gud but dis one is too hard, pweez make game easier for me Fwom Swoftware".

Makes me fucking sick. If you're gonna post your accolades you best not whine about the game being too hard cunt.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
The fights themselves are on the right side of the challenging but fun/bullshit line for me, but I've come across a Gaol that has you jump between platforms that are suspended by chains that always seem to get in your way as you jump and I've already died more times to fall damage here than I did to the boss I fought. If I don't get through it soon I think my steam deck is going to go sailing out the window.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
The fights themselves are on the right side of the challenging but fun/bullshit line for me, but I've come across a Gaol that has you jump between platforms that are suspended by chains that always seem to get in your way as you jump and I've already died more times to fall damage here than I did to the boss I fought. If I don't get through it soon I think my steam deck is going to go sailing out the window.
That's fine criticism. The guy in the link I posted is claiming to be a badass and then proceeds to cry like a little girl and literally asks for the difficulty to get nerfed. It's disgusting. That is why we can't have nice things, because Mary Sue ain't as tough as she thought she was.

Basshead

Educated
Shieldspear? wtf lol

They're "Stechschilde"– thrusting shields.

65op0p42bl381.jpg

mnidk562c7181.jpg

p0dq9bp6.webp
Medieval fight book. Nice reference. Very interesting history to that manuscript. In the Holy Roman Empire its author used it as a catalogue to show techniques on how to win trials by combat. There are also pictures of really cool devices he could conceivably produce for a noble. There’s even a scuba suit made by connecting a tube to a waterproof diving apparatus that had air pumped into it using a bellows. Fascinating stuff that was much more advanced than what most people imagine when they think medieval.

Anyway, entered the expansion on ng+ tonight. I tried to make a new character but didn’t want to slog through. Thus far I think that it’s a big improvement over the base game. Enemies aren’t so annoying, the aesthetics and design are improved, the narrative is more coherent. Even the music is better. I can’t wait to play more.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
Can anyone who's playing the DLC confirm that you can start the DLC with an old char on which you finished the game but haven't started NG+?

Want to give it a try, but don't feel like playing the whole game from the start.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fingers crossed. I'd like to know what it is about the newer GPUs that they can optimize a game for lower end hardware but it ends up running like shit on more powerful systems. It seems to be a somewhat common theme these days up until a patch cycle or two (or more) pass.

Something I noticed on a newer GPU with elden ring, due to the low requirements and max 60 fps the card would throttle down a lot and everytime it needed a bit more power it would stutter. Check if forcing full performance or other settings helps.

Well that's interesting. I'll have to try that tonight.

Also, if you didn't, check if offline works better.

I did. It doesn't.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Ravielsk

Magister
So, is it shit?
So far? I would say its too good to fall into the category of "shit" but until I finished it I reserve the right to change my mind. So far I would say its a step up in terms of level design and story delivery. There is significantly less of this "WTF is going on and what am I even doing here" situations than in the base game. From finally added FP regen talisman so a "mage" character is now theoretically makeable(practically you still need to mod the game to make it even semi-enjoyable but credit where credit is due).

That said the balancing is still an utter shitshow. I get the impression that the guy making the monster stats and the guy making items have never met or have some kind of a beef with each other. Because every piece of armor or weapon I find is just exactly tuned for where the game was in terms of powerscale around Leyndel, which means that they are about 25-50% bellow where the DLC is and where the endgame is. Seriously the Rellana swords are such a cool piece of equipment but unfortunately I have to force myself to use them because they simply do not deal enough base damage nor enough poise damage(which we still do no see so I have no idea if I am just playing poorly or if the sword just sucks) nor do they cause any build ups so regardless of how much I like them they simply play second fiddle to my moonlight greatsword. And this applies as far as I can tell across the board.
The moveset is great, the skills rock but the numbers attached to them are hot garbage. Its like they designed them around the player having maxxed out blessings and never tested them outside of the DLC.

Ivan

Arcane
Early thoughts:

I've liked the small dungeons in the overworld: new traps, new enemies, unique boss fights that are really cool (props to the Death Knight).

Overworld exploration has felt like more of the same. A pretty weak opening area IMO but it won't be long before you hit the castles proper.

Wandering open world tanky enemies are kinda boring, but they do require patiences and discipline to take down (talking about flame heads)

Still not a fan of fighting dragons w/melee by attacking their feet, mostly. They all play out the same. Kinda makes me miss the DS3 dragon platforming fight.

Lion boss has me stumped so I'm exploring other areas.

So far, it's alright. I hope/expect it to get better.

Invading isn't as fun as in Souls as most ppl play the game in coop with 2 or 3 companions.

Frame rate is still in 40s for overworld, 60 in interiors.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Not gonna lie. Im finding it a bit dull going back to DS3 combat. Hope FS puts this floaty combat out to pasture after this.
They've been doubling and tripling down on this ever since Bloodborne.
Unlikely there's a way back to more grounded combat after all the success they're having.

Crayll

Liturgist
What level is everyone doing the DLC at? Sitting at 130, debating if I should level any more or just use the DLC progression items.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Can anyone who's playing the DLC confirm that you can start the DLC with an old char on which you finished the game but haven't started NG+?

Want to give it a try, but don't feel like playing the whole game from the start.
That's what I'm doing. I'm level 189 on a 200 hour save file no way I was starting over. Fromsoft DLCs are always rough so I purposefully never went to NG+. Figured it would be better to be overleveled than under.

Dr1f7

Scholar
Invading isn't as fun as in Souls as most ppl play the game in coop with 2 or 3 companions.

Frame rate is still in 40s for overworld, 60 in interiors.
this has been a huge problem since ds3? really miss the ds1 where you just invade one person, rather than invading a group of 3 people and they all just gangbang you in a hallway
not that it matters with their ridiculous netcode lmao

10/10 goty tho miyazoko can do no wrong

cruel

Cipher
Last night, Elden Ring worked as usual, frame capped and smooth. Post patch, it's unplayable stuttery dog shit. It's like watching a claymation doll have a stroke. Tried a bunch of stuff to sort it out, but it's either something in the patch or beefed up EAC bullshit. This is actually worse performance than the base game had at launch and I haven't even entered into the new zones which are supposedly even worse.

Good times.

Check if the game silently forced Ray Tracing on. I had 60 fps in 4k before on RTX 3080, after installing the DLC, suddenly the game was stuttering. It turned out that Ray Tracing was silently enabled, making performance ass and everything looked bad. After disabling it completely I'm back to 60fps again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom