Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Except no, Greeks weren't homos
I mean if you don't consider oiling up a 16 old boy's tights gay...

It's a fantasy constructed by some British homo hostorian
Man I love how much the Brits still make so many people seethe this much
God bless those wankers, the butthurt they've generated will live until the end times :salute:

As for mythology, none of that stuff was meant to be taken literally
Like any good tale you're not supposed to only read it with literalist lenses
But many people did very much believe those myths were real

or be a reflection of any kind of societal value.
That doesn't make sense when you think about it
Even going solely by your reductive definition of "it's nothing more than hidden knowledge (to keep the plebs out)", then it still implicitely has societal value and indeed reflects said society's ideals

Mythology is basically coded metaphysical or esoteric knowledge.
One could argue that so are most (if not all) stories of any kind
Anyway, imo is this a very reductive and boring way to view mythology, but oh well

That's the real "meaning" behind the use of myth in Plato's writings for instance.
I hope you're not thinking you're shedding light on some elusive secret, because this has been the mainstream interpretation for ages

the looming trojan horse that is GRRM's influence
I doubt it

Not to say fantasy isn't often a play on objective realities or archtypes (the best kind of fantasy most certainly is), but mythology is literal coded knowledge and it's very different from fantasy.
Seems like an arbitrary distinction
If both are transmitting those same objective realities/archtypes and esoterisms, then what's the fucking difference?

If the Gods like to copulate so much, it may just be because those myths are dealing with the relationship between trascendent principles, anthropormophized for the sake of keeping those higher truths hidden away from the uninitiated.
Or maybe the Gods like to copulate so much, because humans also like to copulate so much

Maybe the fundamental origin and purpose of myths isn't so the aristocrats of the soul (lol) can seperate themselves from the pitiful mass of hylics
Maybe Myth began as both a way early Man attempted to understand and give meaning to the world around him and as way to share tales around his campfire, to entertain and connect
Maybe as inumerous tragedies, triumphs, revelations and renovations from countless lives transformed Man's societies from tribe to civilization, so to did those myths grew in scale, in complexity and in importance
And maybe, as civilization become increasingly possible, so too did the thriving of a "high class" that valued intelectual pursuits, that through study and introspection discussed, assigned and produced additional works and meanings (some intentionally covered by an esoteric veil) to those myths - which survived to our day in collections of writtings, art and oral tradition (even if distorted sometimes)

Maybe, the reason why myths are filled with all manner of funny and fantastical shenanigans, is because being funny and fantastical is enough to captivate most people

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, I just refunded the DLC.

I wanted to build a character for the DLC but after 5 minutes in Limgrave I just couldn't muster the energy to continue.

I guess I will never play the DLC and probably this is it for me and FromSW games. It was nice while it lasted.

Good luck with the DLC.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I'm giving ER another chance - once reaching open world it got me with "damn, I don't enjoy open worlds". but fg release is sitll not there... or maybe wait for patch or two?

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Funny enough, this is something that B-team handled pretty well. DS2's setting seems a bit more fleshed out and is largely devoid of the end of days fetish, feeling more like an 80's fantasy novel with some of the details obscured.
There never was a B-team. That was an idea imagined by retarded fags.

I guess I will never play the DLC and probably this is it for me and FromSW games. It was nice while it lasted.

Good luck with the DLC.
well-bye-later.gif

Would Elden Ring had been better if the world had been devoid of copy-pasted dungeons and mobs, and instead was there for pacing to provide a breather, to make your journey feel more grandiose and sad, and to provide a unique puzzle challenge in navigating mountain mazes and trying to find the next colossi (or in this case, the next legacy dungeon)?

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Would Elden Ring had been better if the world had been devoid of copy-pasted dungeons and mobs, and instead was there for pacing to provide a breather, to make your journey feel more grandiose and sad, and to provide a unique puzzle challenge in navigating mountain mazes and trying to find the next colossi (or in this case, the next legacy dungeon)?
You can just skip the dungeons and mobs if that's what you want.

MasPingon

Arcane
Well, I just refunded the DLC.

I wanted to build a character for the DLC but after 5 minutes in Limgrave I just couldn't muster the energy to continue.

Good luck with the DLC.
We will carry your cross :salute:

9ted6

Educated
Don't tell him about greek culture, the roman orgies, the catholic priests that owned brothels (which caused the necessity to call a vatican council to ban such happenings)... and that's just Europe.
Good 20th century revisionism.

Don't look up what greek philosophers actually said about sexual deviancy, like how they said it rots the mind and soul and destroys culture. They were especially harsh about homosexuality.
If they were critic of those customs that means said customs were commonplace and disseminated.
Ah yes, the only people who say theft is wrong are people living in societies where theft is commonly accepted.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Yes, across thousands of years and an entire continent, everyone agreed on what kinds of sex were okay. Sounds plausible.
It's plausible because truth exists and human beings have an intelligence capable of understanding good from bad. That's why even today people scoff at gay shit. Even when they pretend to be "tolerant" deep down they still likely flinch at the thought of two men butt fucking each other. And this idea ancient socities were more "accepting" or debauched than our own is just a modernist cope.

"Look, the ancient Greeks were all homos! That means we can be homos today!".

Except no, Greeks weren't homos, and homo shit wasn't "accepted" or normalized. It's a fantasy constructed by some British homo hostorian based on cherry picking evidence in art and by reading too much into certain Greek terminology.
Half true:

It largely depended on what Polis you belonged to and when. Thebes for example was widely known to practice pederasty and homosexual relationships were actively encouraged, especially between soldiers. By and large though, general practice of homosexuality was confined to the rich aristocratic classes as a form of alternative leisure. Generally it was a very uncommon practice by the hoi-polloi.

cruel

Cipher
30min of playing the DLC quickly reminded me why From shits on all other devs. The art, music, atmosphere, they still got it. So happy to be back.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Dr1f7

Scholar
lol checked out some streams of this and everyone's just dual-wielding big swords and jump attack-spamming everything
some great gameplay there miyazaki well done

:bravo:

Remember when the first trailer dropped and Miyazaki said in an interview that the expansion map is "a bit bigger than Limgrave"?

lol

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Is it true that it’s huge? I’ve been avoiding spoilers but a friend told me it’s several times the size of Limgrave. I was kinda hopeful when Miyazaki said he was trying to find the peach pit “sweet spot” between having legacy dungeons and open spaces.. I bought the DLC but upon firing ER up recently I immediately felt fatigue despite all it’s positives. I’ll have to dig in this weekend :shittydog:

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Holy fucking shit, did none of you guys save your endgame character?

Exploring my first legacy dungeon. It's glorious. Level design, encounter design, difficulty, new equipment, new enemies, art direction - all an absolute joy to be experiencing.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Holy fucking shit, did none of you guys save your endgame character?

Exploring my first legacy dungeon. It's glorious. Level design, encounter design, difficulty, new equipment, new enemies, art direction - all an absolute joy to be experiencing.
I'm seeing alot of people try to start a new character for the expansion. Fucking why? Do tards not know they can just respec? I'm going in with my same exact build. Ready to clap some cheeks.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
I'm seeing alot of people try to start a new character for the expansion. Fucking why? Do tards not know they can just respec? I'm going in with my same exact build. Ready to clap some cheeks.
I'm very much so looking forward to doing a full main campaign+Shadow replay in the future (especially if there's an awesome mod to put on top of it all), but I can't imagine trying to enjoy something for the first time that's the size of an entire game ON TOP OF everything you need to do to get there if I had played it all before. Why? Especially when you can just respec if you want to try out a fresh build with the plethora of new equipment.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Um it's not letting me enter the DLC. I have my guy right there in Mohg's palace. I'm going to fucking kill somebody

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom