Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Suicidal

Arcane
Yeah the map seems better than in the base game. There are different "floors" of it now and I'm actually getting lost, which is a good thing. Also the points of interest have been more interesting so far. I just wish there was a way to see the different elevation levels of the world on the map screen.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Finally killed Bayle and after I got over what a pain it is to dodge his charge at the start I've decided it's a great boss fight, probably one of the best in the DLC so far. There are two parts that are a little bit bullshit, the aforementioned charge andthe start of phase two where it's hard to see where he's coming from, but overall I think the difficulty is done right. He hits very heavy and moves fast but nearly everything is well telegraphed and dodgeable once you get a feel for it so it feels fairer than other easier but more frantic boss fights where they seem to constantly land on top of you with no warning.

Val Doom

Literate
I noticed a pattern in this DLC where most things are weak against frost. Adula's Moonblade, Moonlight Greatsword, Zamor sword etc. are really good against most enemies. You just have to nail the timings because everyone attacks like a bitch and has fast recovery.
I hear holy is good as well? It was ridiculous how many bosses in the base game were ultra resistant to it. I am running frost now but haven't touched the DLC yet, gonna level up closer to 150 and take my time

ferratilis

Magister
If these new zones look so good then you should be posting pictures of them.
And spoil discovering them for yourself? I don't do that even in the screenshot thread, only a few screenshots from the starting areas. For old games everyone has played, it's fine, but for new titles, I don't want to ruin that sense of discovery that From games excel at.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Overall Reviews: Mixed (12,820 reviews)

62% Positive reviews

The king is naked.

All reviews: Mixed (22,759 reviews)

62% Positive reviews

The latest reviews are no longer about performance issues. People are genuinly angry because the DLC being too hard ... because they cannot use summoning and mimics to tear down the place.

ferratilis

Magister
The main reason I bought this on release is because I know people will cry online, and then Miyazaki will nerf some bosses to make them easier. Because of that, I never experienced Radahn pre-nerf because of performance issues at the time. By the time they fixed it, they also "fixed" Radahn. Not this time.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Invading isn't as fun as in Souls as most ppl play the game in coop with 2 or 3 companions.

Frame rate is still in 40s for overworld, 60 in interiors.
this has been a huge problem since ds3? really miss the ds1 where you just invade one person, rather than invading a group of 3 people and they all just gangbang you in a hallway
not that it matters with their ridiculous netcode lmao

10/10 goty tho miyazoko can do no wrong

People are so completely garbage that it needs to be 1v3 for there to be any sort of challenge. Tea-bagging literal retards isn't very fun.

Reinhardt

Arcane
If these new zones look so good then you should be posting pictures of them.
i-cant-believe-how-much-linux-gaming-improved-elden-ring-on-v0-k0xovgo0tf7d1.png

Odoryuk

Educated
It keeps getting better and better even when
enemies from the base game start to appear

Nelka

Educated
Too bad even the best gamers can't beat final boss. It already got stealth-nerfed once.
I mean it was already proven before, if you are NOT Virgin (male/female) you can't beat it. It just senses it.
Looks like... I'm your best hope. Wish me luck.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Visually I was a bit disappointed by the starting area (I'm not a fan of that sort of burnt autumnal look, I disliked Altus for the same reason) but as you get on parts of the game really are beautiful, all the different flower colours in Charo's Hidden Grave, the Cerulean Coast and the Hinterlands work well and the Ancient Ruins of Rauh were great looking too. I'm glad they didn't front load the best stuff but I get how someone who only played a couple of hours wouldn't have the best impression since the mid or late game designs are so much better.

EDIT: Also, speaking of visual design I'm looking forward to the lore videos explaining what exactly Miyazaki meant by this:

1719146080060.png

Last edited:

ferratilis

Magister
Has anyone found Larval Tears in the DLC yet?
I found one, but it only appears at night. This DLC seems to have some stuff that's only available when the light of the moon shines on specific spots, so I recommend spending more time playing at night.

Mauman

Scholar
I noticed a pattern in this DLC where most things are weak against frost. Adula's Moonblade, Moonlight Greatsword, Zamor sword etc. are really good against most enemies. You just have to nail the timings because everyone attacks like a bitch and has fast recovery.
I hear holy is good as well? It was ridiculous how many bosses in the base game were ultra resistant to it. I am running frost now but haven't touched the DLC yet, gonna level up closer to 150 and take my time
Sure. Till you get to the final boss and it's Elden beast levels of holy resistance again.

edit - this is an assumption as I haven't gotten to the end yet, but considering who the final boss is, I'd be shocked if this wasn't the case.

Terenty

Liturgist
Dunno, watched some walkthrough and honestly From needs to evolve their shit at this point. Graphically and mechanically looks kinda rudimentary. Can't imagine slogging through the same spastic bosses again

After playing Dragon's Dogma 2, From's animations, combat and overall open world just doesn't cut it

Sunri

Liturgist
I ended up downloading full save from the basic game and starting dlc again, at least now I can try all weapons because everything is max upgraded

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

:avatard:

FROM's skills level design might be great, but their combat design has totally devolved into parody
Like some of us have been saying for years, the current mechanical design is simply inadequate to satisfyingly support the fast-paced combat experience they intend
Either fully commit to the style of character action combat you are clearly trying to ape, or take a step back and descale this bullshit

MasPingon

Arcane
I've just beaten Divine Beast Dancing Lion, what an exciting fight. Great design, a lot of surprises and beautiful music. The moment it starts changing the elements with which it attacks and the music is getting more and more heroic - https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxL7lNzB7LAeioyESOVDyUWSJ0WFK0FjWY?si=Dnv3ZK7xEPNbD_t6 is the reason I play video games. FS should work on camera tho, it really hurts the experience when your biggest enemy is not a boss you are fighting. Even tho camera is a whore, this is one of the best FS bosses ever, top 5 for sure.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
FROM's skills level design might be great, but their combat design has totally devolved into parody
Like some of us have been saying for years, the current mechanical design is simply inadequate to satisfyingly support the fast-paced combat experience they intend
Either fully commit to the style of character action combat you are clearly trying to ape, or take a step back and descale this bullshit

Why aren't you happy just sucking off DD?

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron

:avatard:

Level design is basically non-existent at this point.

Endless boring wastelands of mostly nothing, with some "legacy dungeons" (right) thrown in that can't hold a candle to the best areas of Demon's Souls, Dark Souls or Dark Souls 2, and copy-pasted shit everywhere.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned

Well, they made Sekiro, showing that they clearly understand how to make a combat system that rewards engaging with enemy move sets, rather than simply avoiding them.

Sekiro sold about half of what DS3 did.

From learned their lesson.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom