Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Odoryuk

Educated
Endless boring wastelands of mostly nothing, with some "legacy dungeons" (right) thrown in that can't hold a candle to the best areas of Demon's Souls, Dark Souls or Dark Souls 2, and copy-pasted shit everywhere.
Is there some kind of a popular youtuber that teaches people who didn't play ER/ER DLC to parrot this shit?

Ravielsk

Magister
From learned their lesson.
If so then they are retards. Sekiro was never going to outsell anything souls related simply because it was a new IP. Unless that new IP is filling up some massive hole in the market it will never sell as well as a established franchise.
People like to forget this but even Dark Souls had its beginning with Demon's Souls which also did not exactly sell well and was received at best as that "weird PS3 exclusive for masochists". It took Dark Souls 1 for Demon's Souls to be recognized in the public eye.

Odoryuk

Educated
People like to forget this but even Dark Souls had its beginning with Demon's Souls which also did not exactly sell well and was received at best as that "weird PS3 exclusive for masochists". It took Dark Souls 1 for Demon's Souls to be recognized in the public eye.

Demon's Souls was always a net positive and it saved Namco Bandai from bankruptcy after Sony gave them distribution rights, stop rewriting history

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

:avatard:

FROM's skills level design might be great, but their combat design has totally devolved into parody
Like some of us have been saying for years, the current mechanical design is simply inadequate to satisfyingly support the fast-paced combat experience they intend
Either fully commit to the style of character action combat you are clearly trying to ape, or take a step back and descale this bullshit
Holy shit, just deactivate lock on and run. FFS.

Silverfish

Arbiter

FROM's skills level design might be great, but their combat design has totally devolved into parody
Like some of us have been saying for years, the current mechanical design is simply inadequate to satisfyingly support the fast-paced combat experience they intend
Either fully commit to the style of character action combat you are clearly trying to ape, or take a step back and descale this bullshit

Radhan being insanely difficult makes sense when you remember that Shadow dropped during pride month.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Endless boring wastelands of mostly nothing, with some "legacy dungeons" (right) thrown in that can't hold a candle to the best areas of Demon's Souls, Dark Souls or Dark Souls 2, and copy-pasted shit everywhere.
Is there some kind of a popular youtuber that teaches people who didn't play ER/ER DLC to parrot this shit?
No, fork is just like this.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
I finished 2 and a half playthroughs of the base game.
Compared to Fromsoft peak level design, which is King's Field 4, Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, which offered some of the best exploration in gaming history, Elden Ring is current-year Bethesda- or even Ubisoft-tier. The open world looks nice, even impressive at times, but is mind-numbingly boring to traverse and explore.

abija

Prophet
I didn't mention DD, fanboy

Not a fanboy, just sick of both threads getting derailed and filled with the most absurd criticism because of you and other similar retards. The devs just want to build what they think is cool and people like it or not. It was never about the autism your sorry ass projects onto either game's systems.

Silva

Arcane
I finished 2 and a half playthroughs of the base game.
Compared to Fromsoft peak level design, which is King's Field 4, Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, which offered some of the best exploration in gaming history, Elden Ring is current-year Bethesda- or even Ubisoft-tier. The open world looks nice, even impressive at times, but is mind-numbingly boring to traverse and explore.
Add Sekiro and Bloodborne to that peak, and I agree.

Yeah, no matter how good the legacy dungeons are here, it's marred by terrible combat and boring open-world.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Agree with Sekiro to a degree, not Bloodborne though. Still lightyears better than Elden Ring, I just feel like Bloodborne was the starting point of the decline. Even DS3 level design is better than Elden Ring.

In ER, imo even the legacy dungeons are declined.
Everything looks, to a large extent, pre-fabricated and put together, not organic, even my favourites like the sewers or haligtree.
Peak Fromsoft, every single room, corridor, hallway, staircase,—even elevator—etc. feels atmospheric, handcrafted.
Elden Ring is, in Fromsoft context, the definition of quantity over quality.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
The expansion bumps Elden Ring up closer to Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1&2, and Bloodborne in terms of quality but it's still not quite there. It's certainly better than Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro now.

Dark Souls 2>Bloodborne>Demon's Souls>Dark Souls>Elden Ring>Dark Souls 3>Sekiro

Holy shit, just deactivate lock on and run. FFS.
Might not work too well. Depends on the forward momentum and lateral tracking of the gap closer. The player is rolling laterally in the 1st bit of footage to get away from the combo and is only being saved by iframes. If he stays on top of you when you run you're fucked.

Seems like he can vary the timings on the vertical slashes as well, saw a slight delay on one in the second set.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Blue

CTAOQar.jpeg

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
How do you get in to that sewer looking area in Belurat? There's a well you can climb down in near the beginning with a locked door which I'm assuming you open from the other side. I don't see any way you could get to the other side.

Ivan

Arcane
Perfect example of what I mean: looks awesome, but turns out to be extremely disappointing to actually traverse.
Dark Souls had it both: wonder and excitement.
I echo this sentiment. The overworld is largely boring. When it's more handcrafted, it's cool, but this and the finger area was a huge bore. Just a huge space with a few enemies peppered here and there. The dungeons are great, the overworld still sucks, albeit pretty.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Perfect example of what I mean: looks awesome, but turns out to be extremely disappointing to actually traverse.
Dark Souls had it both: wonder and excitement.
I echo this sentiment. The overworld is largely boring. When it's more handcrafted, it's cool, but this and the finger area was a huge bore. Just a huge space with a few enemies peppered here and there. The dungeons are great, the overworld still sucks, albeit pretty.

You see these awesome-looking areas (and there are very many great vistas, in the base game as well as the expansion), and you're excited to explore them. During that process, you realise that 90% are mostly barren emptiness, you check the perimeter, which mostly consists of walls (actual walls and cliffs), then you find a grace, then you find some catacombs, which are better than those in the base game, but still shit, and/or a boss fight somewhere that's utterly spastic, because the combat was basically built for a different kind of game, but is still essentially the same.
I don't know how old Demon's Souls/Dark Souls fans can enjoy this. I really don't.

Last edited:

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Are there any particularly fun/ challenging optional bosses that anyone has fought that they'd recommend actively seeking out? I've done all the ones I've come across naturally, including the big three I see recommended the most elsewhere (Metyr, Bayle and Midra) but I don't want to miss a solid fight because I missed a random cave behind a waterfall or something. The optional boss lists I've found just give names and locations and don't really distinguish between which will be fun and which will involve awkwardly bumbling through a platforming section for an hour only to take the guy down in less than 30 seconds.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
First try lol. Mentally handicapped people should not be allowed to play these games.

Normally I'd try to fight it without summons but the only bonfire was at the beginning of the dungeon. Wasn't gonna risk having to run through the whole thing again, they can kiss my ass.

Ravielsk

Magister
Demon's Souls was always a net positive and it saved Namco Bandai from bankruptcy after Sony gave them distribution rights, stop rewriting history
Nobody is rewriting anything. I never claimed it did not make money but there is a difference between making money and making big money. DeS sold around 1 million copies worldwide by 2011 so roughly two years after launch it reached a sales number that at the time was considered a failure for other AAA projects. For example Enslaved was considered a failure and was denied a sequel because it only sold around 700k a year after launch. So in half the time it sold almost as much as DeS did in two and it was still considered a financial failure.

So while I do not doubt money was made off of Demon's Souls it was not until Dark Souls that sales started hitting what you could call mainstream success. For comparison Dark Souls 1 sold around 2.7 million on PS3 alone. The whole trilogy sold in total around 35 million copies.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
How do you get in to that sewer looking area in Belurat? There's a well you can climb down in near the beginning with a locked door which I'm assuming you open from the other side. I don't see any way you could get to the other side.
There's a key somewhere in the same area, I forget where. Theres a tree spirit down there with a poison resist talisman and a guy who drops a dual sword weapon.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The expansion bumps Elden Ring up closer to Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1&2, and Bloodborne in terms of quality but it's still not quite there. It's certainly better than Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro now.

Dark Souls 2>Bloodborne>Demon's Souls>Dark Souls>Elden Ring>Dark Souls 3>Sekiro

Sekiro has no place in that list because it's something else.

Your comparison is as retarded as you are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom