Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Imagine when Elden Ring comes out you're thinking: "What's the best open-world RPG released in the last decade?"

And your only fucking answer will NOT be "haha Skyrim haha", because it would have been MORE than 10 years. Won't be Dark Souls either...

It would be... Kenshi.

Do you feel old, depressed and at the end of your wits yet, random RPG player?

Kenshi's not a bad answer tbh.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's good.

Edit: I got goose-bumps and that's more than I was expecting.

I didn't think they can make open-world Dark Souls but it looks like they did it.

The castle, the atmosphere, the lighting are top notch. From Software is insane.

I concur, the castle looks phenomenal

Jinn

Arcane
I think I said something like this earlier in the thread, but every single person bitching about what they saw today will not only play this game for 100+ hours, but also love the shit out of it. And will probably still come back here, bitch and moan like they hate it, then go right back to playing it when they're done posting.

Bendu

Augur
It will differ as much as Dark Souls is different from Demon's Souls, IMO.

Combat looks like a mixture between Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro and the map system reminds me of Hollow Knight.

Silva

Arcane
I think I said something like this earlier in the thread, but every single person bitching about what they saw today will not only play this game for 100+ hours, but also love the shit out of it. And will probably still come back here, bitch and moan like they hate it, then go right back to playing it when they're done posting.
The fact it's a less shitty flavor of shit don't exclude people from bitching about how less of a shit this could have been.

Edit: but yeah, I'll probably play and love it. :smug:

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
I haven't actually watched any videos aside from seeing a glimpse of it in GIFs, and I'll be reserving judgement (like I did with Sekiro) so I won't be commenting on the game itself.

However, it's indeed kinda funny to see how some of you guys really be acting like some junkie looking for his next fix, begging for Dark Souls to be released for the 4th (6th or even 7th depending on how much of a Souls fanboy you are) times. Unless none of you actually dissed EA/Ubisoft/Activision for releasing the exact same Fifa/AssCreed/CoD for the nth times, then oh well, more power to you folks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deflowerer

Arcane
I haven't actually watched any videos aside from seeing a glimpse of it in GIFs, and I'll be reserving judgement (like I did with Sekiro) so I won't be commenting on the game itself.

However, it's indeed kinda funny to see how some of you guys really be acting like some junkie looking for his next fix, begging for Dark Souls to be released for the 4th (6th or even 7th depending on how much of a Souls fanboy you are) times. Unless none of you actually dissed EA/Ubisoft/Activision for releasing the exact same Fifa/AssCreed/CoD for the nth times, then oh well, more power to you folks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If those games were solid (which FIFA probably is, albeit to extreme sports fans, although FIFA's issue is the rampant jewery with UT) then there is nothing wrong with that. Screaming for some revolutionary overhaul on its own is overrated.

Sentinel

Arcane
The ideas behind ER might be rehashed (as they have been every single time after Demon's Souls), but the game still comes with new content. And, apparently, people are starved for this kind of content. Everyone is out there buying souls clones, at least with ER you know you're buying an Official Clone™. The gameplay of the previous entries is fun and works, what's wrong with wanting more of the same?
this describes COD and sports games as well. They also come with new content. And ER doesn't just have rehashed ideas, it has rehashed assets everywhere.
There's nothing wrong with wanting more of the same, just don't pretend you're superior to fags who buy yearly rehash franchises and low effort shovelware like ubisoft games.

Deflowerer

Arcane
The ideas behind ER might be rehashed (as they have been every single time after Demon's Souls), but the game still comes with new content. And, apparently, people are starved for this kind of content. Everyone is out there buying souls clones, at least with ER you know you're buying an Official Clone™. The gameplay of the previous entries is fun and works, what's wrong with wanting more of the same?
this describes COD and sports games as well. They also come with new content. And ER doesn't just have rehashed ideas, it has rehashed assets everywhere.
There's nothing wrong with wanting more of the same, just don't pretend you're superior to fags who buy yearly rehash franchises and low effort shovelware like ubisoft games.

The fact that Souls games are good and those games are shit is an important qualifier.

Black Angel

Arcane
If those games were solid (which FIFA probably is, albeit to extreme sports fans, although FIFA's issue is the rampant jewery with UT) then there is nothing wrong with that. Screaming for some revolutionary overhaul on its own is overrated.
Are you saying there's nothing wrong with releasing literally the exact same game for nth times? Regardless of how fucking good (or, in your words, "solid") these games are, it's not a perfect world, my guy. There's bound to be some improvements to be made, and they would be made sooner or later. Sometimes the blue moon came out as the stars and the planets aligns, and a genre evolves.
Still, I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I doubt anyone, Codexers of all, are asking for some revolutionary overhaul or anything like literally reinventing the wheel. Hell, I'd say it's perfectly understandable and reasonable for anyone who's been Fromsoft's fans since before Demon's Souls/Miyazaki to ask them to revisit the past (Armored Core, King's Field, etc etc)

To clarify, since I haven't watched any of the videos, I took the statements proclaiming this game would be (literal) Dark Souls 4 with a handful of salt. The skin might be Souls, but what's more important is if they've finally evolved the gameplay mechanics. Be honest, in a vacuum each aspect of the Soulsborne are really nothing spectacular. But it's how they came together as a whole, an entire package of experience, that satiate and stimulate our souls in ways very few games have ever managed. Still, although I'm not familiar with Fromsoft before Miyazaki stepped into the picture, I'd still reckon there's a special something exclusive only to Fromsoft (as such is the case with most competent developers out there), and that's what I'm expecting from them to improve and double down on, instead of based on thevague impression that their own audience has regarding what's Souls or not Souls (hence, my dislike of Souls-like as a genre or even a concept).

The fact that Souls games are good and those games are shit is an important qualifier.
The good games are definitely timeless, but the ideas, the concept, the *formula*, can and will go stale. Hence, 'formulaic', as it would sometimes be thrown around when discussing games that tries to do something that's popular of all time or even at the very least similar to what's always works
(which is weird because usually the concept should be eternal while the product can expire)

Black Angel

Arcane
I disliked how the preview hides UI. If it's meant to be a gameplay preview then don't hide UI, it's an important part of the gameplay.
You know, this specific worries me. The ones I saw showed a floating compass bar, in the upper middle of the screen. Sure, we can turn it off, but if the gameworld and encounters are designed around that....

Deflowerer

Arcane
Are you saying there's nothing wrong with releasing literally the exact same game for nth times?

But that's usually not the case. I think sports games indeed seem the most unchanging and lazy out of them all, but even for veterans of the franchise there are often subtle changes that are important enough.

Don't even get the constant butthurt about reused assets. In this day and age it's actually retarded to build everything from scratch again.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks pretty good. Re: my earlier comment, though I did mean it, I actually thought HZD was awesome. Either way, the comparison to HZD was mostly about the crouch stealth stuff which could be said about any number of third person games, it just reminded me of HZD in particular - probably because of the red grass, etc.

The main issue I have with it is that the jumping looks retarded, but that's a pretty minor quibble. Anyone who didn't expect nu Dark Souls since this was first announced has some amazing powers of self delusion.
It's also interesting to me because there seem to be two main camps in regards to game development. Those who figure that asset reuse is great because it can keep costs down and allow devs to focus on content creation. This is especially true in the RPG space. Others who want everything to be handcrafted specifically for that game even if it's like some background tree or amphora. It has to be an artisanal amphora started from scratch for this game and rendered in 8k. Personally, I'd be ok if they reused everything as long as it allowed them to make a good game as they've envisioned.

Other thoughts:
1) Am I the only one who wanted that other player to backstab the guy when he went to open the chest?
2) Some of the emotes look kinda dumb, so it's not just the jumping. Again, this is pretty minor.
3) Tattooing your eyes has got to hurt. Evidently it's also bad for your vision.
4) The game retains the "physicality" in animation that really pulls Souls games together and stops it from feeling janky like most/all of the clones.
5) It's kinda lame that they seem to have ditched falling damage.
6) The sorceries, smoke, etc. looks cool.
7) I wish I had a dragon head for an arm. It'd be completely impractical, but I think I could make it work.

General verdict: On the one hand, I have a bit of Souls fatigue, on the other, this one's prettier and I played the crap out of the earlier games, so I'll certainly check it out at some point. Just maybe not D1P like in the past (optimistic thoughts about not being hyped up like a schoolkid at release).

(which is weird because usually the concept should be eternal while the product can expire)

It isn't. Good execution of a concept is very difficult, that's why you can't just copy/remake the classic. There are hundreds of minuscule things, most people would miss, that can make or break the concept. True mastery comes from mastering details.

Black Angel

Arcane
But that's usually not the case. I think sports games indeed seem the most unchanging and lazy out of them all, but even for veterans of the franchise there are often subtle changes that are important enough.

Don't even get the constant butthurt about reused assets. In this day and age it's actually retarded to build everything from scratch again.
I don't have any complains regarding reused assets. Again, I took any comments saying it's Dark Souls 4 with a handful of salt, and I'm personally indifferent regarding graphics and surface appearance of video games in general. And I do think that Fromsoft do an exquisite job in this department, not fixing what's not broken and all that jazz.

The skin could be anything, it's what they're doing underneath, how they put together what they're truly good at into one whole package, and if they're doing better this time, are all what matters to me personally,

Sentinel

Arcane

Those games were also good when they initially came out. CoD 1-4 were legitimately good games, different from their competition. FIFA was also good at one point. Anyway, to the brainlets who consume COD today, the game is still good to them - just like FromSoftware copy paste shovelware is good to brainlets who consume it now. They are completely bilnd.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
... some shit ...
a3un7qok8lx71.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom