Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Silverfish

Arbiter
All the critic voices in this thread, please recommend me some good games, given that From Software is not up to your standards.

Genuinely curious and open to play some gems I don't know yet.

Ligma.

Wunderbar

Arcane
- fromsoft's games aren't as great as they could've been and this new one doesn't look all that promising...
- hurr durr u whine but ur still gonna buy and play it, name a better game anyway - you can't

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
- fromsoft's games aren't as great as they could've been and this new one doesn't look all that promising...
- hurr durr u whine but ur still gonna buy and play it, name a better game anyway - you can't

Just name good games that are worth playing or more promising than Elden Ring.

Mortmal

Arcane
So if there's invasions this is gonna be some BULLSHIT to contend with as an invader.

Look at this shit.

I gotta fight the host, his friends, possibly some sort of seed of giants thing that makes the enemies wanna kill you, and the host/his friends now have a fuckin' spirit animal gank squad on demand?

Meanwhile as invader you got limited heals and probably some other handicaps.

God, Miyazaki, you really are a genius.

kneels
Works exactly as intended , if i ever see you invading online, i definitely wants some buddies to join the fun and tear you a new one.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

ERYFKRAD does anything come to your mind?

Silva

Arcane

images

Generic-Giant-Spider

Works exactly as intended , if i ever see you invading online, i definitely wants some buddies to join the fun and tear you a new one.

Ye lil bitch here needs his posse for the BIG DAWG. I come rollin' in there dual Avelyns, Havels to my eyeballs, ready to rumble and make you humble.

Sentinel

Arcane
The skin could be anything, it's what they're doing underneath, how they put together what they're truly good at into one whole package, and if they're doing better this time, are all what matters to me personally,
FromSoftware has shown that they can't evolve in this department though.
What, putting several things together into one whole experience? They proved themselves going from (Demon's Souls in bracket since I haven't personally play it), to Dark Souls 1, to Bloodborne, and to Sekiro. It's making sequels where they're weak right now (haven't played anything they made pre-Demon's Souls so I wouldn't know here), but making new stuff? That's what they're best at.
they proved themselves with Dark Souls 1 but since then they've been making asset flips of that game. Bloodborne was not a new or good game mechanically (and funnily enough it's a game that failed to carry over solutions to problems from DeS->DaS, like the herb/vial grass farm problem that was solved by the estus system).

Sekiro is their only actual new game with new ideas and gameplay since Demon's Souls. And yes it was great, but ER does not look like a new or different game. The fact that it has a different name doesn't mean anything. It's published by the same company who wants to cash in on Dark Souls popularity and comissioned another trilogy, it's developed by the same people, it's reusing the same animations, it's reusing the same sound effects, it's reusing the same mechanics, it's reusing the same NPC archetypes, it's reusing the same multiplayer.

FromSoft has been rehashing shit so hard since DaS 1 that even their areas have become memes in the community ("can't wait for another Swamp Souls")

Greek Anime God

Scholar
All the critic voices in this thread, please recommend me some good games, given that From Software is not up to your standards.

Genuinely curious and open to play some gems I don't know yet.
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, Noita, Dungeon Encounters, Worms World Party, Mary Skelter: Nightmares. If you only mean action games then the Bayonetta games are pretty fun. If you only mean the specific action sub-genre that Demon's Souls spawned then the original game is still the best entry but that 2D game with the bug waifus seems to be popular among darkmetroidvaniaborne fans.
they proved themselves with Dark Souls 1 but since then they've been making asset flips of that game.
The worst thing about this is that before this success they used to experiment much more, it used to be we were not stuck with Souls leftovers reheated forever but the studio won't take the economic risk of trying something cool and fresh like they did in the past now that they found their golden goose. Not only are the rehashes boring but we lost a good studio.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Curious coincidence that the story George RR Martin have written for the game could might as well have come from the mind of Miyazaki
thinking.png

Black Angel

Arcane
they proved themselves with Dark Souls 1 but since then they've been making asset flips of that game. Bloodborne was not a new or good game mechanically (and funnily enough it's a game that failed to carry over solutions to problems from DeS->DaS, like the herb/vial grass farm problem that was solved by the estus system).

Sekiro is their only actual new game with new ideas and gameplay since Demon's Souls. And yes it was great, but ER does not look like a new or different game. The fact that it has a different name doesn't mean anything. It's published by the same company who wants to cash in on Dark Souls popularity and comissioned another trilogy, it's developed by the same people, it's reusing the same animations, it's reusing the same sound effects, it's reusing the same mechanics, it's reusing the same NPC archetypes, it's reusing the same multiplayer.

FromSoft has been rehashing shit so hard since DaS 1 that even their areas have become memes in the community ("can't wait for another Swamp Souls")
You know, I would argue that Bloodborne still does enough to distinguish itself from the Souls (as in Demon's and Dark 1) formula, but you finally put into words what I'm really worried about regarding Elden Ring: fucking Scamco. If it has been any other publisher, I would probably be much, much more fabulously optimistic. But after Dark Souls 3 AND (iirc) the comments that From themselves made about revisiting the old Souls mechanics.... yeah, I think I'm THIS close to hitting the panic button :negative: and while I'm also largely satisfied with Sekiro, several design aspects here and there in that game actually kinda worries me if they're somehow losing it, albeit slowly :mixedemotions:

Silva

Arcane

You know, I would argue that Bloodborne still does enough to distinguish itself from the Souls (as in Demon's and Dark 1) formula, but you finally put into words what I'm really worried about regarding Elden Ring: fucking Scamco. If it has been any other publisher, I would probably be much, much more fabulously optimistic. But after Dark Souls 3 AND (iirc) the comments that From themselves made about revisiting the old Souls mechanics.... yeah, I think I'm THIS close to hitting the panic button :negative: and while I'm also largely satisfied with Sekiro, several design aspects here and there in that game actually kinda worries me if they're somehow losing it, albeit slowly :mixedemotions:
Two points:

1. I agree that Bloodborne pushed the formula into new, relevant grounds. Sentinel is talking shit.

2. I loved Sekiro. But I could never go back to it after I've finished. In retrospect I think that because that rhythm game combat is a bad idea. It worked as an experiment, specially with the love that came with it (the setting, exploration, bosses, etc. Are top notch). But the core concept of combat being this rhythm game? Im more and more convinced that's shit.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

images

If you see my nick, you'll know we will soon talking in SMTV thread. Pretty hyped for it.

Silva

Arcane

images

If you see my nick, you'll know we will soon talking in SMTV thread. Pretty hyped for it.
Yeah I am excited for it too. But boy that protag could be less blatantly tranny.

Black Angel

Arcane
2. I loved Sekiro. But I could never go back to it after I've finished. In retrospect I think that because that rhythm game combat is a bad idea. It worked as an experiment, specially with the love that came with it (the setting, exploration, bosses, etc. Are top notch). But the core concept of combat being this rhythm game? Im more and more convinced that's shit.
Well, I call bullshit on Sekiro being a rhythm game. I could go into details, but long story short, by that line of reasoning even Soulsborne are rhythm games except they're even more monotonic because you only dodge or shield-turtle, with parry being essentially an insta-win button. Meanwhile, in Sekiro, in addition to dodging and parries being more elaborate and engaging, you got Mikiri counter, jump-kick counter, and prosthetic tools like the Umbrella and the Feathers. Even some of the combat arts can be used as a counter to sweep attacks, like Leaping Kick/High Monk, and even Nightjar Slash. Fuck the noises saying using those are for LARPers, it's not an RPG.

However, I also couldn't really go back to replay it except for the Boss Rush (of which the bossfights, for me THE best part of the game, even when related to combat gameplay and all). The game as a whole isn't really a joy to replay like Dark Souls 1 and even Bloodborne was. In DaS1 and BB, from encounter designs, to the level designs, and how they come together as a whole to create a world that's a joy to explore and experience. How they presented information through brief but straight-to-the-point NPC dialogues and items descriptions reinforce exploration and even moment-to-moment combat gameplay. And in case of DaS1, the things Wunderbar mentioned, and also what Matthewmatosis said in his video (even though I disagree with him on some parts), also plays the major roles, thus created truly fresh gaming experience.
These are the things that unfortunately Sekiro lacks in. I'm actually frustrated at most people criticizing Sekiro for all the wrong things; the combat and RPG mechanics were never Fromsoft's strengths, it's everything else mentioned above. Someone mentioned that the grappling hooks and the jumping 'trivializes' exploration and the gameworld, but this criticisms missed the mark by a thousand miles; it's an opportunity for Fromsoft to design an RPG mechanic that only allows access to such features for certain build archetypes. Similar to how Fallout 1 was designed to always offers at least 3 solutions to a quest (combat, diplomacy, and stealth), if those tools from Sekiro is to be incorporated to a proper RPG, then it only makes sense that those tools are exclusive only to certain builds; it's only available to Sekiro simply because if he was in an RPG then his build would fit right in with those tools.

Sure, it's overly optimistic of me to think that the Japanese would ever think of designing RPGs like Fallout, but isn't this is what a lot of Codexers wants? For some developers like Fromsoft to learn how to design an RPG with more 'oomphs' and 'BAM!' to it?

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Well I am not going to say anything that already hasn't been said, but it goes anyway...

- since it's an open world the map's level design must be on point, otherwise it will just be yet another another needless theme park (unfortunately the video doesn't inpire trust in that aspect, but this is something to be judged only when playing)
- however the dungeons look pretty good, I hope that each one is indeed distinct and "hand-carfted" (instead of being like the Chalice Dungeons)
- combat looks like DS3+Sekiro mixed together, meaning that at best it might be mediocre enough for me to tolerate it
- the expanded weapon arts seem to be about the only unique and cool thing their combat seems to offer
- the spells do look good, and I've noticed an emphasis on summoning (so cool new build prospects)
- why the fucking lite stealth? I am so sick of this garbage trend
- I've identified too many of FROM's tropes, this is a serious issue, because it sucks so much out of any potential curiosity and wonder I might feel in exploring this setting
- speaking of creative voids, this type of music was already tiresome by DS3
- visually the artstyle fucking carries this game, because otherwise it looks as drab as DS3

Overall big meh
It's the most interested I've been for a FROM game since Bloodborne, but the red flags are just too much too generate any hype

I doubt I'll play it (if I do it will only be after reading extensive discussions here), and honestly I am ok with it
I have enough games installed that I really want to complete and replay, before moving to anything else

So I don't mind that FROM made something that appears so generic from them, that I have no wish to waste my time in

They reused so many assets, ER looks more Dark Souls than Dark Souls 2. It's pathetic.

The fanboys get what they deserve

DS2 had uh...

Better designed gameplay systems
Better designed levels
Unique takes on the established setting and even From tropes (for example: Patches)

From what genre?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom