Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by HoboForEternity, Mar 29, 2019.

1. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    Well I am not going to say anything that already hasn't been said, but it goes anyway...

- since it's an open world the map's level design must be on point, otherwise it will just be yet another another needless theme park (unfortunately the video doesn't inpire trust in that aspect, but this is something to be judged only when playing)
    - however the dungeons look pretty good, I hope that each one is indeed distinct and "hand-carfted" (instead of being like the Chalice Dungeons)
    - combat looks like DS3+Sekiro mixed together, meaning that at best it might be mediocre enough for me to tolerate it
    - the expanded weapon arts seem to be about the only unique and cool thing their combat seems to offer
    - the spells do look good, and I've noticed an emphasis on summoning (so cool new build prospects)
    - why the fucking lite stealth? I am so sick of this garbage trend
    - I've identified too many of FROM's tropes, this is a serious issue, because it sucks so much out of any potential curiosity and wonder I might feel in exploring this setting
    - speaking of creative voids, this type of music was already tiresome by DS3
    - visually the artstyle fucking carries this game, because otherwise it looks as drab as DS3

Overall big meh
    It's the most interested I've been for a FROM game since Bloodborne, but the red flags are just too much too generate any hype

I doubt I'll play it (if I do it will only be after reading extensive discussions here), and honestly I am ok with it
    I have enough games installed that I really want to complete and replay, before moving to anything else

So I don't mind that FROM made something that appears so generic from them, that I have no wish to waste my time in

The fanboys get what they deserve

Better designed gameplay systems
    Better designed levels
    Unique takes on the established setting and even From tropes (for example: Patches)

From what genre?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    • Brofist x 6
    • Agree x 2
    • meh x 2
    • retadred x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    Well, it is though... :M

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    So does all the Soulsborne games, but for some reason no one complains +M

In fact, since literally every games in existence are about pressing buttons in some vague pattern of timing, all games are rhythm games :dance:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    It's because they didn't suck at Souls like they did at Sekiro lul.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Zlaja Arcane

Zlaja
    Well, that's the thing, this isn't really new stuff. It's Dark Souls 4. That's why some of us are dissapointed. We don't criticize this because we don't like From games in general.

You sound like a Bethesda fanboy.

Elex 2. :obviously:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    I agree that ELEX 2 is one to look forward to, but maybe not the best example to support the argument "we've seen it before, why don't they try something more different." Also a big reason why I'm never disappointed to see a developer I like making very similar games with alterations here or there.

^ Top  
  7. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Dark Souls can be beat with Iron Skin and RTSR & any other ring, preferably Wolf or BTSR.

The only people that cannot see what Dark Souls is, are the same ones that skip the tutorial. Or didn't read the manual to know what Humanities do before they boot the game.

^ Top  
  8. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Black Angel , easy boy, easy.

I didn't kick Sekiro as I loved my time with it and eve finished twice. I was just tying to reflect on why it never grabbed me by the collar and made me replay it half a dozen times straight like other Souls, and part of the problem in my view is the combat. It's not even exploration in my case as I found the jumping and flinging around like ninja Spiderman really cool.

The problem with its combat is that it's too narrow with it's "rhythm quality". See I don't deny the other Souls games are also rhythmical in a way, they are, but Sekiro does it to a degree that feels much more constraining and "Simon says". While the average Souls is more open-ended in comparison (even BB).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Zlaja Arcane

Zlaja
    I see your point, but unlike From Software, Piranha Bytes have no real capability of creating something that's both good and very different. They just don't. That's why I'm dissapointed in From. They CAN do both.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    ^ Top  
  10. toro Arcane

toro
    starting classes. for me it's bloody wolf. even if it sucks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

edit: Silva is retarded. who else?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    • Brofist x 5
    • Interesting x 2
    • meh x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Zlaja Arcane

Zlaja
    Prophet design seems based on our friend below.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Diablo1_reborn Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    Classes look pretty great. It's definitely the Champion for me.

^ Top  
  13. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Classes look lame and uninspired. A dude wirh a wheel in the neck, some knight but "enchanted".

What a piece of shit.

• Funny x 4
    • Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    It seems I haven't made myself quite clear yet; I never proclaimed that ER is going to be The New Stuff™. I acknowledged that ER is probably highly likely going to be similar to Souls(borne) in many places, but the part that interests me the most are them saying that they want to use what they learned from Sekiro, and fit it into the action-RPG framework of Soulsborne. That in and of itself is worth looking forward to, no? Even though the skin and sound might be the exact same as Soulsborne?

Again, I said all this because I haven't seen any of the videos, and I've purposefully skipped anything talking about the game into details. It's ridiculous to ask them to reinvent the wheel every time, but I do understand the desire to see them do something different from Souls, skin or not. In fact, I preach to that choir.

I am utterly disgusted at Souls junkie seemingly having orgasms at the mere thoughts of playing a Dark Souls 4, though. Especially those who also dissed Sekiro and even Bloodborne for not being a Souls game.

Okay? But I'm not sure what that has to do with my....retort... to a retort...

That's alright, but like I said, I think most people criticized Sekiro for the wrong reasons. The way I see it, people complained that you're essentially limited to playing only one RPG build archetype in Sekiro, and that's of a Shinobi/Ninja/Thief build, whereas if it's like Souls then you would have access to magic or shield. And frankly, that's retarded for expecting another RPG when the devs and publishers clearly stated they aren't even making an action-RPG, and even more retarded to try and play it like it's a Souls game or even a Souls-like (yuck, I hate this word with a passion).

But I'd say it would be nice to see Sekiro's gameplay mechanics retrofitted into an (action)RPG framework, like Souls, and maybe even have them expand further into allowing both Fighter and Mage build archetype to have their own gameplay dynamics. The one action-RPG I've played that allows for different gameplay dynamics based on your build choices would be Dragon's Dogma,
    Show Spoiler
    where each vocations has their own fighting style in combat instead of a mostly one-size-fits-all a la Soulsborne. Fighter uses shields, Warrior goes Berserk-style (RIP Miura-sensei) two-handed bonker, Strider (DD's Thief) use light archery and climbing big monster bosses (and climbing is not exclusive to this class, which is nice), Ranger is essentially a sniper, Mage are support and healer oriented, while Sorcerer wields basically nukes. And then there are hybrid vocations, like an Assassin who combines Fighter and Strider dynamics, can combine their weapons and got unique abilities based around these. Mystic Knight, a hybrid between Fighter and Mage, is basically Shield Hero, or Paladin in another sense of word. Finally, Magick Archer, pretty self-explanatory, an archer with access to elemental magical arrows and shit.

Yes, this is my attempt to get you to play Dragon's Dogma, Silva :P

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. toro Arcane

toro
    [​IMG]

• Disgusting! Disgusting! x 2
    • Okily Dokily! Okily Dokily! x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Dark Souls is a reflex game for people that want it to be a reflex game.

You want it to be an RPG where numbers matter, it's an RPG where numbers matter.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Alexander DeLarge Cipher

Alexander DeLarge
    Yeah don't pay attention to the "classes" in the network tests. They're just loadouts to test out different equipment and playstyles.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    OoooOooohhOoooohh Enchanted Knight!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. JDR13 Arcane

JDR13
    All the edgelords can eat my ass. This looks at least as good as any of the Souls games if not significantly better.

• Yes x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Matador Arcane

Matador
    :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues: Average Miyazaki doubter
    :martini: Average Elden Ring enjoyer

• Brofist x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • How about this as a button x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Someone has issues x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Reality check. Look fast to the image below and say if your dick get hard:

Show Spoiler

PROJECT BEAST
    [​IMG]

See? Your dick don't lie, as small as it is. THAT is hype worthy stuff. :obviously:

• Excited! Excited! x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Zariusz Arbiter

Zariusz
    Enchanted Knight looks like if they took Dragonblood knight armor (or smt like that i dont remember) from DS2/DS3, put some clothes on it and called it a day.

• incline incline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Matador Arcane

Matador
    [​IMG]

Reminder that while we ride and fight on our horse on the sunset getting a Murakumo drop, a lot of losers will be here complaining about stuff.

Have pity on them.

• Prestigious x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • nice x 1
    • feels good man x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Okily Dokily! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. lametta Educated

lametta
    didnt want to get spoiled but couldnt help myself and watched some of the gameplay.

Somehow mage class on horseback seems to be much easier than melee vs bosses....

Anyhow even if this is just dark skuls but openworld no one can blame from soft for not doing different games (see bloodborne and sekiro)
    meanwhile ppl buy far cry 6 and assasins creed 13 for years.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.