Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
0qlin589e6y71.jpg

fork

The fall of From Software is near.
We've been hearing this for only 10 years now.

And it's been true for 7 or so.

Are you saying there's nothing wrong with releasing literally the exact same game for nth times?

If each iteration is greater or on the same level as the previous one then I don't see a problem.

Problem is new iterations started to become worse after Dark Souls.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
- improved hitboxes
- jumping
- no rolling
- stance breaking
- horse mount + mounted combat
- stealth + stealthy weaponry
- map + markers
- crafting
- finisher attacks
- martial arts not linked to specific weapons
- summons build
- 6+ classes of magic
- huge world + improved lightning

Yeah, I guess the game doesn't bring anything new to the table. /s

Edit: Actually no fall damage is the thing that annoys me the most.

Great summary.

We sometimes lose perspective on the new accomplishments focusing only on what doesn't change.

They can't suddenly throw away their craft, what they do well, just for the sake of innovation. We should expect from them well crafted soulslike games. If someone wants other thing go search anywhere else.

Black Angel

Arcane
delivering probably the best set of Boss fights in any melee action game ever.

*Laughs in Shinobi franchise*
Sword Saint is From's Best Final Boss™ for me, and the fact that he exists in a game with some of From's best designed bosses made it even better, so I'm interested how they can be topped. Mind pointing out which of the best boss fights in the Shinobi games worth the attention?

Re: Fall damage

This is actually what I talked about when I say that From is beginning to streamline their game a bit in Sekiro. In there, you won't die immediately falling into the abyss, you need to fall multiple times, or at least fell when the 'fall damage' is enough to deplete your HP. Although I actually forgot if there's even fall damage in Sekiro, or that you can take fall damage from absolute extreme heights but the damage is diminished compared to in Soulsborne, it kinda make sense since Sekiro is a shinobi.

I'd say no fall damage in an open-world game wouldn't really do it any better, in fact it would do much worse. Part of what makes exploring a world crafted by Fromsoft fun and exciting is navigating an environment that's already hostile in and of itself, regardless of the presence of hostile living entities, so taking away fall damage would make it so that you wouldn't even have to worry about the environment as much as you would in Soulsborne.

Last edited:

fork

I wish people would stop calling this a souls-like.
An open-world game with a map, quest compass, a horse, and crafting is not a souls-like.
But then again, I wish people weren't retarded.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm still undecided. I liked Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Never played DS2-3 or Sekiro. I only played Bloodborne for a few hours.

The game itself looks good, but in the end, me getting it depends on if I'm in a "Souls" mood, which I honestly haven't been for a long time.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
An open-world game with a map, quest compass, a horse, and crafting is not a souls-like.
The people who are making this game referred to it as "a game like Dark Souls", maybe you should ping them to correct them.

Also, "souls-like" means nothing. It's a term used whenever someone wants to describe a game that might have ANYTHING in common with Dark Souls. It doesn't refer to any particular characteristic of the series. A game can be a souls-like because you roll and have a stamina bar, another one because it's set in a grim world, another one because your character can die and respawn. Super Mario Bros is a souls-like: enemies kill you in one hit and treasure chests can trick you with poison mushrooms.

But then again, I wish people weren't retarded.
Woah, that'll cost you far more than 5,000 XP.

Re: Fall damage

This is actually what I talked about when I say that From is beginning to streamline their game a bit in Sekiro. In there, you won't die immediately falling into the abyss, you need to fall multiple times, or at least fell when the 'fall damage' is enough to deplete your HP. Although I actually forgot if there's even fall damage in Sekiro, or that you can take fall damage from absolute extreme heights but the damage is diminished compared to in Soulsborne, it kinda make sense since Sekiro is a shinobi.

I'd say no fall damage in an open-world game wouldn't really do it any better, in fact it would do much worse. Part of what makes exploring a world crafted by Fromsoft fun and exciting is navigating an environment that's already hostile in and of itself, regardless of the presence of hostile living entities, so taking away fall damage would make it so that you wouldn't even have to worry about the environment as much as you would in Soulsborne.
There could still be some fall damage despite the godmode trailer. Most gravity deaths in the series come from falling into bottomless pits/instakill past a certain height where your character starts screaming -not direct fall damage- so those should still be in anyway. None of the trailer drops would kill a full health character in previous games either. Those huge drops/barriers you see all over the landscape could also be special cases. The trailer doesn't show this but they could still act as barriers to limit areas/zones during multiplayer much like white fog did in previous games. I doubt they'd have an invader chase the host across an entire open world map.

Last edited:

ferratilis

Magister
The most important thing in a FromSoft game, the actual combat and character movement, look amazing. But I can't get over how bland that open world lighting looks, like something is missing. Especially in that autumnal looking screenshot above, it's like one of those bugs you see in games where the environment is not fully loaded in. But still, the gameplay looks good, so whatever.

fork

The people who are making this game referred to it as "a game like Dark Souls", maybe you should ping them to correct them.

The devs want to capitalise on Dark Soul's success and brand recognition? No shit?

Dark Souls 2 all over again, huh? Dammit.

Dark Souls 2 is one of From's best titles.

ferratilis

Magister
I wasn't talking about the quality of DS2's gameplay, but the graphical downgrade it got because of consoles. It seems Elden Ring will suffer the same fate. You really wear your title like a crown.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The game doesn't pause while you are in the crafting menu (around 5:37)

Edit:
y2kddhxkr6y71.jpg

raytracing :)

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
Bah! Still 60 fps limit on PC.
I don't care what anyone says, this is why I want Bluepoint's Demon's Souls and Bluepoint's rumored "remastering" of Bloodborne on PC. From Software's porting abilities and/or engine are dogshit.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Sword Saint is From's Best Final Boss™ for me, and the fact that he exists in a game with some of From's best designed bosses made it even better, so I'm interested how they can be topped. Mind pointing out which of the best boss fights in the Shinobi games worth the attention?

All of them, but that's cheating, so Ubusuna and Moritsune. :love:

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
is magic fun in elden ring

is there magic
Magic was quite boring in all the previous soulslike games imo so we'll have to wait and see if it's fun. Generally soulslike magic is just shooting different levels of lasers/fireballs at people or out of combat heals with the occasional spell that useful for stealth. As well as temporarily enchanting weapons so that they can do as much melee damage as a physical build. There are a few buffs but they're generally weak and mostly ignored. This has been the case since Demons Souls, hopefully they expand it in this game. (And archery since it's primary use in the previous games was cheesing enemies with poison arrows.)

Edit: Also holy fuck the game is pretty. From Soft don't have the best engine but they make the prettiest AAA games imo

curds

Magister
Generally soulslike magic is just shooting different levels of lasers/fireballs at people or out of combat heals with the occasional spell that useful for stealth. As well as temporarily enchanting weapons so that they can do as much melee damage as a physical build.
While I mostly agree, there are some pretty interesting spells here and there in the series, like Power Within (big damage buff but drains your HP), Fall Control (can be used rather creatively at times, mostly to skip difficult areas), Guidance (displays hidden developer messages, leading to secrets on some occassions) and the PVP spell whose name escapes me that turns you into inanimate objects (used to hide in plain sight from other players). Nothing on the level of D&D spells, though.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Generally soulslike magic is just shooting different levels of lasers/fireballs at people or out of combat heals with the occasional spell that useful for stealth. As well as temporarily enchanting weapons so that they can do as much melee damage as a physical build.
While I mostly agree, there are some pretty interesting spells here and there in the series, like Power Within (big damage buff but drains your HP), Fall Control (can be used rather creatively at times, mostly to skip difficult areas), Guidance (displays hidden developer messages, leading to secrets on some occassions) and the PVP spell whose name escapes me that turns you into inanimate objects (used to hide in plain sight from other players). Nothing on the level of D&D spells, though.
True those are all cool. Imo a big issue is that offensive spells are all generally cast in the same way, which is just tapping the use button. Whereas even a game with terrible magic like skyrim had an offensive spell that you hold to deal damage, one that you tap, an exploding rune that you scrawl on the floor, a buff that deals constant elemental damage around you, elemental walls. None of these are too interesting or creative but just having a slight variety in offensive spells will go a long way. Later Souls games attempted to do this, but while the effect of the spell is different the way it's cast is completely the same, and in an action game having tactile variety for different spells can add a lot. There have been rumours that in Elden Ring you can "charge," spells by holding the button to consume more mana and deal more damage which would already go a long way to making magic feel more interesting.

Black Angel

Arcane
True those are all cool. Imo a big issue is that offensive spells are all generally cast in the same way, which is just tapping the use button. Whereas even a game with terrible magic like skyrim had an offensive spell that you hold to deal damage, one that you tap, an exploding rune that you scrawl on the floor, a buff that deals constant elemental damage around you, elemental walls. None of these are too interesting or creative but just having a slight variety in offensive spells will go a long way. Later Souls games attempted to do this, but while the effect of the spell is different the way it's cast is completely the same, and in an action game having tactile variety for different spells can add a lot. There have been rumours that in Elden Ring you can "charge," spells by holding the button to consume more mana and deal more damage which would already go a long way to making magic feel more interesting.
Man, what would I sacrifice for Fromsoft to take notes from Dragon's Dogma on how to do spells in a medieval fantasy/D&D-esque setting

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom