Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Every single new FROM release since DS2, all retarded midwits think the new game is becoming a Bethesda or twitcher popamole clone. And every single time they are wrong.

Well lets examine this claim shall we:

After DS2, we got Bloodborne
The game, even if not something widely distinct, was different enough at the time to be considered a good change of pace
It had great level design, a cool new setting, good atmosphere and the change in combat was actually not bad and suited the new IP
Overall, even the "midwits" like you said, welcomed this new game, and still to this day many wish for a PC port

Then DS3...
Now, in comparasion to previous Soul's games, we had:
-a heavly downgraded character system from 2
-mostly mediocre level design
-not that much in the way of exploration, given the above and just how linear world progression is
-trash encounters
-too many broken and useless gameplay elements
-a hybridized combat with Bloodborne, even though it made no sense to this series
-really drab looking game with the weakest artsyle in the series
-references up the ass
-hardly any atmosphere
-not much in the way of actually interesting new ideas to the lore
-soundtrack is just a gothier rehash of Bloodborne
+a few cool bosses

Ouch...
Overall weakest FROM game since 2009
But since it has made by Miyazaki, every fanboy under sun immediately declared the game better than the one made by the B Team

And finally we get to Sekiro
Totally new IP, with it's own identity
From tries to do several things differently: more invloved storytelling, more expansive world, new gameplay elements

So far so good. How is the new gameplay?
Do you like stealth? Here's the AAA lite system of "Press X to be invisible"
Do you like platforming? Here's this Batman grappling hook and platform "magnetism", so you never are in risk of actually being in danger (except only if you're a game journo)
Do you like Action Combat? How about this antithetical system to Action design as it forces you to play exactly like we want too at all times without any room for agency, essencially turning combat into a glorified rhythm game

Really puts into perpective who the midwits are

Even more so when you consider that from all shown so far, Elden Ring looks while a mix between DS3 and Sekiro

So while their games haven't gone down to Bethseda/CDPR levels (but then again nobody claimed they did)
I think safe to say their design quality has indeed declined - and worse, seems to have become a kind of ouroboros of FROM tropes

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Every single new FROM release since DS2, all retarded midwits think the new game is becoming a Bethesda or twitcher popamole clone. And every single time they are wrong.

Well lets examine this claim shall we:

The game, even if not something widely distinct, was different enough at the time to be considered a good change of pace
It had great level design, a cool new setting, good atmosphere and the change in combat was actually not bad and suited the new IP
Overall, even the "midwits" like you said, welcomed this new game, and still to this day many wish for a PC port

Then DS3...
-not that much in the way of exploration, given the above and just how linear world progression is
-trash encounters
-a hybridized combat with Bloodborne, even though it made no sense to this series
-references up the ass
-hardly any atmosphere
+a few cool bosses

Ouch...
But since it has made by Miyazaki, every fanboy under sun immediately declared the game better than the one made by the B Team

From tries to do several things differently: more invloved storytelling, more expansive world, new gameplay elements

So good so far. How is the new gameplay?
Do you like platforming? Here's this Batman grappling hook and platform "magnetism", so you never are in risk of actually being in danger (except only if you're a game journo)
Do you like Action Combat? How this antithetical system to Action design because it forces you to play exactly like we want too at all times without any room for agency, essencially turning combat into a glorified rhythm game

Even more so when you consider that from all shown so far, Elden Ring looks while a mix between DS3 and Sekiro

So while their games haven't gone down to Bethseda/CDPR levels (but then again nobody claimed they did)
I think safe to say their design quality has indeed declined

My favourite game in the series is DkS1 so I also like the sequels less than it. But they are not casualized or popamole games, just good but less inspired iterations with some questionable design choices. Bloodborne comes close to DkS1 for me, though.

Sekiro doesn't count really because the game is different in vision and design to souls games. It's also a fantastic action/adventure game.

57301023.jpg

fuck did not get code for network test:rage::rage::rage:
but this previews make me diamond hard:thumbsup:

Egosphere

Arcane
Vaati's boss encounters are pretty underwhelming. That 2nd one is downright comical. The random encounters with mounted knights seem more fun.

The last one is pretty good, but not as cool as Gascoigne

Last edited:

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Then DS3...
-trash encounters
-references up the ass
-hardly any atmosphere
+a few cool bosses

Ouch...

- the character system is identical. The differences are in gameplay. DS2 has powerstancing, which is cool, but upgrading armors and lifegems trivializes any tradeoffs between defense and offense. DS3 wasn't what people expected, so it took some getting used to, but there's more variety of viable builds in DS3 than in 1 and 2.
- Nothing compares to DS1, but level design was definitely better than mediocre.
- Exploration was heavily rewarded. Archdragon peak, untended graves, smouldering lake, and plenty of secrets... Also, while not DS1, the world isn't linear. You can beeline straight to the penultimate boss, for example.
- if you want trash encounters, see the entire game known as DS2.
- just because you don't know how to use a gameplay element doesn't make it useless
- and all your other points are just lame, so not addressing

DS 1 >> Bloodborne = DS3 >>>> DS2

Black Angel

Arcane
In before complainers migrate to Dragon's Dogma thread to spoil fun when Capcom announces officially DD2.

Unfortunately I will meet them there again.

Imagine being a decline-enabling little bitch like this retard here.
dumbfuck.gif

From what I know, Bloodborne was in-development roughly at the same time as DS2, released later to carry PS4. Unless you meant that in context of what Matador said, as in people saying stuff about From's game, then moving on...

So far so good. How is the new gameplay?
Do you like Action Combat? How about this antithetical system to Action design as it forces you to play exactly like we want too at all times without any room for agency, essencially turning combat into a glorified rhythm game

1. This "Press X to be invisible" argument against Sekiro is probably something that has just sprout literally fucking yesterday. I couldn't remember a single similar complain in Sekiro thread, other than people saying that trying to sneak there is basically LARPing, in a fucking Shinobi-themed game. Besides, it's not like you can literally press the sneak button right in front of someone or when you've been detected. Even if you try to retreat to tall grasses and crouch there, it doesn't matter if someone's detection is in red, they'll still find you.
2. Same with the grappling hook mechanic, I've only seen the criticism of it recently in this thread, that it trivialize exploration. That does hold some weight, but saying it being equivalent to Batman's toy and how there's 'no risk of actually being in danger' without providing more context to this argument feels more like trying to grasp the straw to prove a point
3. Again, literally every game that ever exists are rhythm games, because all games are about pressing buttons in some form of pattern vaguely resembling a rhythm, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nobody said that, but instead something along the lines of Codexers being hypocrites of dissing people buying the exact same COD/Fifa/Asscreed games every year, while cumming at the mere thoughts of playing Dark Souls 4. I was saying this, too, actually, except I took the claims that ER = DkS4 with a handful of salt.

That's debatable, actually. If From can implement proper poise mechanics here, then that would automatically fails ER being Dark Souls *3*

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I can respect how they sell the same game over and over again and they still make fanboys happy.
Tbh the original game was so good, I didn't mind until Dark Souls III (where I really got fatigue).

I wouldn't trust previews by not-shills like vaati, these people literally live off these games. The more succesful they are, the better these video makers fare. Whether they realise it or not, they're heavily biased.

Seems like DS II quality bosses are back on the menu haha

Covetous Demon can finally be dethroned

He would have never been crowned to begin with since Demon's Souls bosses exist.

Cromwell

Arcane
3. Again, literally every game that ever exists are rhythm games, because all games are about pressing buttons in some form of pattern vaguely resembling a rhythm, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

are you retarded on purpose? Theres a reason the genre rhytm game exists despite patterns being in every game. Sekiro Combat mostly plays like a rhytm game and that has nothing to do with dark souls "evade evade hit"

Black Angel

Arcane

are you retarded on purpose? Theres a reason the genre rhytm game exists despite patterns being in every game. Sekiro Combat mostly plays like a rhytm game and that has nothing to do with dark souls "evade evade hit"
What's the difference between Dark Souls "evade evade hit" and Sekiro's "deflect deflect hit"? That's right, practically none, except with Sekiro there's a whole lot more than simple deflect/parryable attacks so you also have to jump, dodge, Mikiri, maybe use the prosthetic tools or combat arts (and I guess in a way, this also means there's a whole lot less to do in Soulsborne, albeit with the variety of build means different characters can do different things). But just because there's more to do when facing different moves, doesn't mean it's a rhythm game in the literal sense. Besides, the only specific case of a fight in Sekiro that 'proves' it's (like) a rhythm game is the fight against Centipede miniboss, especially since there's that video on Youtube synchronizing the attack/deflect pattern to a rhythm game UI. I doubt you could do the same with, say the Sword Saint, Owl, or even Genichiro.

The only reason why I decided to die on this hill is because people keep painted Sekiro being a rhythm game in a bad light, as if Soulsborne's moment-to-moment gameplay is any different. Yeah different, as in you just dodge-dodge-dodge and then poke in a hit or two given the chance, before resuming to dodge-dodge-dodge. Or hide behind a shield to soak up arbitrary amount of attacks and then poke in a hit or two, before resuming to shield turtle (not really applicable in Dark Souls 3). That attack could also be magic/pyromancy/miracle, but the gist of the gameplay is the same.

Suicidal

Arcane
Holy fuck the boss fights in those videos look TERRIBLE. It seems like they just took some random generic enemy with 2-3 attacks and gave it a HP bar and called it a boss. After Sekiro this is really disappointing.

The average trash mob in Nioh games that you slaughter in the hundreds has 5 times the move pool and seems far more threatening than any of the "bosses" shown in the videos. The only exception seems to be that old guy at the end that summons weapons but even that went down too quickly and easily.

Egosphere

Arcane
He would have never been crowned to begin with since Demon's Souls bosses exist.

At least they looked interesting

What's the difference between Dark Souls "evade evade hit" and Sekiro's "deflect deflect hit"?
When I evade, I chose the direction. If I evade poorly, I will be unable to land a hit on the enemy before he engages me again. There is no analogue to this in deflecting.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Are you really watching all that shit you homos? Started watching one vid, got immediately spoiled about 3 different things.

Fuck that noise, nopeing away from the hype train until February.

Black Angel

Arcane
When I evade, I chose the direction. If I evade poorly, I will be unable to land a hit on the enemy before he engages me again. There is no analogue to this in deflecting.
The equivalent would be the timing (partial parry is a thing since Soulsborne too), and if you timed it poorly it wouldn't be perfect deflect, you might get chip damage if you return Kuro's charm, and your posture will break. But this is a poor way to compare them.
We can also say that in addition to deflect, you can also choose to dodge instead (depending on the attacks, you can, in fact, dodge), or even use prosthetics like Umbrella in place of deflect or Mist Feather in place of dodge. And then there's thrusting attacks that needs to be perfectly deflected or Mikiri countered, sweep attacks that can only be evaded with a jump and open up an opportunity for a counter with a kick to inflict high posture damage, and grab attacks need to be dodged (some can even be defended against with the Umbrella). In comparison, Soulsborne doesn't categorize its attacks, and the only way to defend against most of them are with dodging and shields (which became unviable in Dark Souls 3, and nonexistent in Bloodborne but since BB is designed to be mostly different we can cut some slack here).
Yeah, you have actual RPG builds, and gameplay mechanics to accommodate it in Souls games, but we wouldn't really be having this kinds of discussion if we didn't try to judge Sekiro (and even Bloodborne) on the basis of Souls games in the first place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom