Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Silva

Arcane
You're missing the point. It's not that Ghost of Sushi has some DEEP stealth, it's Elden Ring that manages to be lazier than the average popamole stealth around these days.

I forgive Sekiro as it was an experiment (and it's focus was on duels anyway). But in a fulll blown RPG like this is turning to be? Make it decent or cut it off. Moving around in full plate with enemies unseeing you because "crouch" is a new low for the industry.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Are you really watching all that shit you homos? Started watching one vid, got immediately spoiled about 3 different things.

Fuck that noise, nopeing away from the hype train until February.
it's supposed to be a 100+ hrs long open world game, I doubt 20 minutes of gameplay would spoil something major other than the general gameplay loop.

Anyway, it's not like the network test was made by hacks from Bandai Namco. The demo was made by Fromsoft themselves, and they probably removed everything spoilery.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
it's Elden Ring that manages to be lazier than the average popamole stealth around these days.
Agree to disagree. We're just going in circles.
But in a fulll blown RPG like this is turning to be? Make it decent or cut it off.
What RPG has any kind of deep stealth system? When numbers matter the most in RPGs anything other than a stealth stat that goes from 0 to 100 is all you can expect.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Is that rolling I see? I thought they removed that.
If they were going to regress to the dodge roll, they could have at least used one closer to the more compact, natural looking one from Dark Souls II.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So... after watching some footage, it seems to me that Poise is back on the menu. This is good.

The rest is a mixed bag, and the version everyone is playing doesn't seem to be the version we'll all see when it comes out.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
a load of bullshit

Try to bullshit your way out of this one:

• The most linear of all the games, less branching options than DeS and even BB. Rehashed areas in an already short game (and a third of the game is a swamp). First DLC was a 1.5 hour long disappointment with a rehashed arena. Second DLC had no end despite being the very last dark souls title we'll get for the foreseeable future. Bonfires out the ass. Overall the less replayable game From has made in the last decade;
  • Filled to the brim with shitty references, nostalgiafagging and pandering out the ass;
  • Armor variety is less than DS2 base game, despite copypasting a 3rd of the armors from previous games. The heavy armors are the heaviest they have ever been in the series, while offering basically no additional defense over medium/light sets (in short they suck). The armor system is in general a horrible imbalanced mess;
  • Too many useless fucking stats. Awful scaling balance. Poise working as intended. Equip load is now done by VIT, which for some reason gives less per level than dark souls 2. Some Ultra Great Swords, Great Axes, and Hammers weigh more than entire armor sets. Some weapons have retarded stat requirements where they don't even scale with said stats.
  • Enemy design is overall catered to Bloodborne R1 spam. Enemies have infinite "stamina". And even simple mobs are more troublesome than most Bosses;
  • No backstep i-frame, but rolls cost next to nothing with extremely fast recovery and many iframes;
  • A majority of the small weapons sped up to bloodborne speed, but most of the Great weapons have been made slower and consume more stamina, while barely doing more damage. Straight Swords and Curved Sword are as fast as daggers. Left hand weapons no longer have full movesets. Weapons in general are 90% quality based. These quality weapons are also usually the best weapons in their class, no redeeming qualities for special weapons resulting in less weapon variety than even BB. This also means Boss weapons are shit. Weapon Arts are mostly just special R2's or Powerstance moves copypasted. Very little moveset variation;
  • Magic needs 2-3 ring slots just to dish out melee level damage. Magic itself does reduced damage for PvP. Removes a shit ton of cool spells from the previous game. FP is the most awful casting management system introduced yet (worse than DeS mana, which had better regen options and more efficient), it's horribly ineffiecent with damage, ends up causing everyone to use 1 or 2 FP efficient spell like Great Heavy Soul Arrow. Miracles suck, the best and most viable ones locked behind the final boss. Hexes are gone and dark magic is shit. Overall magic is garbage;
  • Covenants are stickers which can be changed on the go - also awful covenants (ex.: blue sentinels and darkmoons are the exact same). They also have shitty rewards. No blue eye orb. No arena. Dragon form the worst it's ever been in both aesthetic and practical sense - also no Dragon covenant. MLGS is the worst its ever been. The game punishes invaders and encourages ganking;
  • Lowest Boss count after DeS. Half the bosses are the same roll R1 spam fest, the other half are gimmicks...

• Get back to me when DS2 lets you bypass 80% of the game and head straight for the second to last boss. Majula was the center of a wheel, the spokes of which hardly ever connected -- it's functionally identical to a warpable hub world. I do agree the first DS3 DLC was disappointing though, and that bonfire placement was suboptimal. Second DLC was fantastic and absolutely had an end, so not sure what you're saying there. Anyway, DS3 >>>> DS2.
  • References: the Souls series is a single universe, so obviously the lore should have continuity. Established lore is not nostalgiafaggotry. In sum, your point is retarded.
  • Armor: sounds like somebody never got around to figuring out how to make the poise system work. I figured it out. Heavy armors are useful and viable. And the variety was plenty. Meanwhile, DS2's "variety" is nonexistent, because you can upgrade all the armors to give you excellent protection, so no real choices needed to be made.
  • The only useless stat is luck. This is a problem for the whole franchise. Sounds like you need to figure how to make choices and build a specific character -- you know, like in an RPG -- instead of whining about not being able to wear the heaviest armor while carrying a billion ultra greatswords without fatrolling.
  • R1 spam stopped being the meta within like 4 months. Anybody who R1 spams gets spanked now. Git gud.
  • Backstep i-frames aren't necessary; the move is for spacing precise attacks, and bad judgment gets you punished. Rolling is appropriate for the increased pace of play. It's better than hiding behind a shield all day or walking through attacks to get a backstab.
  • Weapon speed is appropriate. You just need to use them properly. If you're trying to attack somebody straight up with a dagger like you would with a 2H curved sword (the curved sword is slightly slower, btw), then you're using daggers wrong. Use quickstep with daggers, or use them as a sidearm to change up attack patterns and keep opponents off balance. Same goes for all the other weapons -- know their purpose, know your build, and use accordingly. Also, quality builds are definitely not favored, and big weapons do wayyyy more damage than smaller ones. You're just inefficient with your builds, and treat everything like it's R1 spam, which is why everything seems out of whack to you. That's a you misunderstanding the systems problem, and not a game problem. But, I was disappointed by the rollback of hexes (they aren't gone, there are just fewer of them, and they're rolled into the other magic schools), left hand movesets should've remained, would've liked to see more moveset variation, and the boss weapons are pretty bad. Never said the game was perfect.
  • Agree that I miss the cool spells, but magic is perfectly viable. The best pvp builds all use some kind of magic/miracles/pyromancy. Unless I'm doing a pure mage, I never use damage boosting magic rings and have no problem winning.
  • Agree with you 100% on covenants.
  • Your criticism of the bosses is just you getting used to the DS formula. None of these games are as difficult as they used to be.

Last edited:

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
You're missing the point. It's not that Ghost of Sushi has some DEEP stealth, it's Elden Ring that manages to be lazier than the average popamole stealth around these days.

I forgive Sekiro as it was an experiment (and it's focus was on duels anyway). But in a fulll blown RPG like this is turning to be? Make it decent or cut it off. Moving around in full plate with enemies unseeing you because "crouch" is a new low for the industry.
Haven't played sushi ghost, but the stealth gameplay in Elden Ring looks like ass.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Combat

STANCE
stance_elden_ring_wiki_guide_300px.jpg

Similar to Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, during Combat you should be careful not to lose your Stance in order to avoid getting staggered. You will also want the break you Enemy's Stance in order to make them stagger, giving you a chance to perform a critical attack. During combat, you can block your Enemy's attack by holding the block button, however if you block each attack only when it's necessary, the game will consider that you performed a perfect Block. Perfect Blocks will save your Stance, and waste the Enemy's Stance, but if you block earlier or keep blocking longer than necessary, you will lose some Stance while your Enemy saves it.

Is this guesswork based on the trailer or confirmed in the test? Weapon + shield is my favourite look, but in From games I never use it because two handing a weapon feels so much better. A block is just a waste of stamina and parrying is useless when I don't know animations or instant win when I do. If this is in, and shield blocking is much better than weapon blocking, I might be able to sword/shield and play like slow-Sekiro.

Wunderbar

Arcane
So you start the game, finish the tutorial dungeon, go out into the open world, light the first bonfire, talk to the very first NPC. And the guy flat out says "you are maidenless! go die in a ditch somewhere".

Stopped watching right there.

This game literally calls you an incel!

ADL

Prophet
I've watched a couple of those no commentary videos and the more I watch the less I'm interested in it. Their dated engine and asset reuse is really starting to bother me too. The open world seems like it's just gonna get in the way of the stuff I actually like about the game and that's a pretty tough sell when ELEX 2 will be out the following week. I'm sure it'll sell millions of copies and be praised as the second coming of Christ because it's okay when From Software does it for some reason but it's exhausting just thinking about playing another empty world for 100+ hours that doesn't effectively use the structure of it being open world. Until proven otherwise, this would've been better as a wide-linear game like everything else they've made recently.

Also I have no fucking idea how multiplayer is going to work without mounts, will it dynamically create a playable zone Fortnite-style?

ChaDargo

Arcane
I've watched a couple of those no commentary videos and the more I watch the less I'm interested in it. Their dated engine and asset reuse is really starting to bother me too. The open world seems like it's just gonna get in the way of the stuff I actually like about the game and that's a pretty tough sell when ELEX 2 will be out the following week. I'm sure it'll sell millions of copies and be praised as the second coming of Christ because it's okay when From Software does it for some reason but it's exhausting just thinking about playing another empty world for 100+ hours that doesn't effectively use the structure of it being open world. Until proven otherwise, this would've been better as a wide-linear game like everything else they've made recently.

Also I have no fucking idea how multiplayer is going to work without mounts, will it dynamically create a playable zone Fortnite-style?

Since you're someone who feels exactly the way I do (seemingly), what (modern) open world game is worth a shit?

Silva

Arcane

Since you're someone who feels exactly the way I do (seemingly), what (modern) open world game is worth a shit?
Shitty but honest: Ghost of Sushi.
Fair: Zelda BotW.
The only way to fly: MGSV Phanton Pain.

ADL

Prophet
Kingdom Come Deliverance and Kenshi are the only one in recent memory I'd really recommend besides Project Gorgon which is a MMO and that looks and plays like a game from 1999. Also I know it doesn't count as a modern game but Daggerfall Unity kicks ass.

It's pretty sad how few open world games use emergent gameplay systems like Stalker and Kenshi to make those worlds feel alive and worth immersing yourself in. Elden Ring without those systems feels like a giant missed opportunity, especially when you consider GRRM's involvement.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Aside from Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Kenshi, I would also recommend Outward, though it isn't quite perfectly Open World since it is divided into four separate zones. Outward is also an interesting example of survival mechanics integrated into an Open World framework.

25rmI4C.jpg

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Aside from Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Kenshi, I would also recommend Outward, though it isn't quite perfectly Open World since it is divided into four separate zones. Outward is also an interesting example of survival mechanics integrated into an Open World framework.

25rmI4C.jpg

Worst magic possible.

World feels empty. Only few "optional" locations. Only first area is somewhat interesting. Other are meh.

Wunderbar

Arcane
the bad
- "body type A" and "body type B" nonsense instead of normal male and female options
- looks very easy, though the difficulty might be tuned down for the purpose of network testing
- a lot of trash mobs which are even trashier than before. What's even the point of having such weak enemies? I hope not the resource grind
- encounter design looks very random (from the visual standpoint). Some tought dark knight miniboss just stands in the middle of the road, another miniboss on a horseback again just stands in the middle of a field, etc
- i didn't get the feeling that fromsoft's level-designers really utilized the open-world aspect of the game. It's basically just Road of Sacrifices from DaS3, except increased in size and littered with enemy camps and 5-minutes long micro-dungeons
- a lot of reused assets and reused NPC archetyps, duh
- melee combat looks and feels like DaS3, with cheap rolling and bloodbornian enemies flailing around madly
- all of the bosses and minibosses are abusing delayed attacks. I hate this feature, its sole purpose is to catch players off-guard and force them to use memorization instead of reflexes
- crafting nonsense, with a lot of materials lying around everywhere. Berries, flowers, bones, stones, pieces of smithing metal and other inventory trash. It's probably here to keep you stockpiled on consumables without needing to warp back to the hub and buy from vendors, but still an annoying thing
- NPC breaking a fourth wall by literally telling you to buy a crafting kit because crafting is very useful
- unlimited fast-travel from the start and bonfires at every corner (this time in addition ot bonfires you can also respawn at a special statues that are placed everywhere)
- inconsistent fall damage. In one video while in a dungeon the player took a lot of damage by falling from a small cliff, and then during the overworld exploration he jumped from a significantly larger cliff and left unscathed
- idk about posture and stance-breaking. On paper it sounds good, but in videos it's just looked like main character did enough poise damage to perform a riposte (which is an old feature)

the good
- twinblades! dual wielding!
- darkness is really dark! Unfortunately it's somewhat undermined by enemy placement, they all sit around luminiscent mushrooms and other glow-in-the-dark shit
- we can level our attributes without warping back to the fingermaiden lady
- fighting minibosses while on a horseback is a promising feature
- weapon arts is another promising feature, though i didn't like how weapon arts are combined with infusions (like bonus damage scaling, etc). Some of them are basically just "shoot magic bolt"
- magic seems buffed? hard to say without actually playing, but it may be the first souls game since DaS2 with interesting character building
- flask of wondrous physick (an auto-replenishable customizable flask that gives you different effects depending on what you put into it). Again, a potentially interesting feature, I hope it's not just an infinite sugar/elemental gourd from Sekiro
- different types of arrows (sleep arrows, etc). Potentially good feature, I hope it's not "balanced" so that special arrows barely affect bosses and are only useful against already easy trashmobs

Generic-Giant-Spider

Apparently parry frames are pre-nerf Monastery Scimitar levels of stupid, jump attacks have iframes and you must "opt in" to have invasions happen... which goes against the meaning of the word invasion.

If you like PVP, stick to DS2.

Wunderbar

Arcane
you must "opt in" to have invasions happen... which goes against the meaning of the word invasion.
not just opt-in, you must "pay" a special resource. And since you must opt-in for invasion, actually finding a host to invade is gonna be a huge pain in the ass.

I imagine there will be a powerful spell or a good weapon locked behind progression in invader covenant. Farming ears on Anor Londo stairs, let's roll!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom