Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Mastermind said:
DraQ said:
Sixth House isn't invading yet. It's merely infiltrating.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/invasion

Infiltration is a form of invasion. Infiltration is merely a more specific subset of invasion in that it has to be done covertly. An invasion is merely entering an entity as an enemy. Whether it's done openly or not is not a part of the definition.
It doesn't fit with the wikipedia definition. Go ahead and tell me how Dagoth Ur's actions fit with the wikipedia definition.

Let's go ahead and look at the defintion on Merriam Webster's page as well.

an act of invading; especially : incursion of an army for conquest or plunder
Do you want to try to bullshit your way out of that one too? And actually, clicking on that link you provided, it doesn't say anything or even imply anything about infiltration either. You're just pulling things out of your ass.

If you want to claim you're using a different definition then your definition doesn't fit with the one 99% of the rest of us accept. Deal with it.

denizsi

Arcane
Codex is serial bzness.

Anyway, for once I'd like to see Dragons as gigantic earthbound lizards as depicted in some of the old myths; slumbering through wherever they are led to as otherwordly and alien creatures without the "ancient intelligent beings" shtick. More like Godzilla, except quadruple and not that colossal.

What would you wish the new game to be about and where to take place?

DraQ

Arcane
denizsi said:
Codex is serial bzness.

Anyway, for once I'd like to see Dragons as gigantic earthbound lizards as depicted in some of the old myths; slumbering through wherever they are led to as otherwordly and alien creatures without the "ancient intelligent beings" shtick.
Which would, of course rape the existing lore about as had as oblivious did.

denizsi said:
Codex is serial bzness.

Anyway, for once I'd like to see Dragons as gigantic earthbound lizards as depicted in some of the old myths; slumbering through wherever they are led to as otherwordly and alien creatures without the "ancient intelligent beings" shtick. More like Godzilla, except quadruple and not that colossal.

What would you wish the new game to be about and where to take place?

You mean like....dinosaurs? Probably where dragon-myths came from anyway.

Actually, from the Godzilla wikipedia page:

"Although his origins vary somewhat from film to film, he is always described as a prehistoric creature, who first appeared and attacked Japan at the beginning of the Atomic Age. In particular, mutation due to atomic radiation is presented as an explanation for his size and powers. The most notable of Godzilla's resulting abilities is his atomic breath: a powerful heat ray of fire from his mouth. Godzilla is also depicted as being resistant to damage thanks to a tough hide and an advanced healing factor, which itself became a focal point in Godzilla vs. Biollante and Godzilla 2000. He is portrayed as being strong and dexterous, sometimes utilizing martial arts techniques in combat."

Ok, the fire-breathing fits the dragon idea well. But the 'utilizing martial arts techniques in combat'? That's just........AWESOME!!! :D

Luzur

Good Sir
You mean like....dinosaurs? Probably where dragon-myths came from anyway.

correct, ancient people (especially chinese) found huge bones in deserts and bedrocks and shit, thought they where from dragons, myth created.

this info is from an documentary of dinosaurs. :salute:

denizsi

Arcane
An documentary, you say?

DraQ said:
Which would, of course rape the existing lore about as had as oblivious did.

That wasn't aimed at TES but since it is raped anyway, might as well be raped with more elegance. Might even do them some good as OMG DRAGONZ!!1 have become a recurring theme in games of the last few years. Eitherway, game lore isn't facts. Until you see it in a game, it's all in-game myths, hear-say and propaganda.

attackfighter

Magister
Oblivious already had a dragon, and if it's foreboding of things to come the dragon(s) in Skyrim are gonna suck.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just hope that dragons aren't going to be pushovers. I mean, they're gigantic firebreathing lizards with wings. They should be hard to kill. Yes, even for a level 50 elite warrior-wizard-thief who is clad only in artifacts.

Knowing Bethesda, the dragons will probably just have lots of hitpoints that you have to slowly hack down.

Andhaira

Arcane
Dragons should be optional, and extremely hard. In other rpg's for instance, dragons are meant to be tackled by a party. In Skyrim you would probably be doing it solo.

Dicksmoker said:
Better yet, they should be creatures that you never combat directly.

Not sure how the lore goes, but from a gameplay perspective you could have static anti-dragon weapons (akin to anti-aircraft, but perhaps combining magic with conventional cannon or giant crossbow / trebuchet mechanism) at various outposts. Aggroing a dragon would require taking cover using the mountains until you could get to an outpost and drive it off (or get to a cavern and lose it).

Chances of that happening? Nil.

DraQ

Arcane
Mechanics for solo PC VS dragon combat should be simple:

You die.

Dragons should generally be included as a something that can rape entire cities with impunity or NPCs you interact with in non-combat way and die if you try to attack. Retrofitted siege weapons might work too, but having dragons as antagonists rubs me as going against TES spirit.

Well, you had one in Redguard, but you played as an anti-imperial nigger Redguard there.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
DraQ said:
Mechanics for solo PC VS dragon combat should be simple:

You die.

Dragons should generally be included as a something that can rape entire cities with impunity or NPCs you interact with in non-combat way and die if you try to attack.

Yeah but my character totally is THE ONE THEY FEAR - DRAGONBORN!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Eh, guys... I just had a very bad intuition.

Maybe Dragonborn means you can polymorph into a dragon towards the end of the game.
Kinda like in Divinity 2.
I mean... maybe Bethesda saw that game and thought HEY POLYMORPHING INTO A DRAGON IS COOOOOOOOOOOOL

DraQ

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Eh, guys... I just had a very bad intuition.

Maybe Dragonborn means you can polymorph into a dragon towards the end of the game.
Kinda like in Divinity 2.
I mean... maybe Bethesda saw that game and thought HEY POLYMORPHING INTO A DRAGON IS COOOOOOOOOOOOL
You know what? I wouldn't mind that in theory, if backed up by some serious, non-derp lore injection, but they are going to rape it anyway.

Then again, I'm probably biased.

denizsi

Arcane
I just recalled that there were bone remains of a dragon in a huge dragon lair in Battlespire. Now that was cool. There were scrolls talking about the resident dragon and then you came into this huge area. I wasn't sure whether there would be a living dragon or not.

pero

Novice
Rhalle said:
Oh boy 'the chosen one' saves the world in three different "RPGs" next year.

How exciting. Maybe the kids will actually get bored with it?
I'd rather get a "chosen one" story than an Oblivion-like "not the chosen one, but the chosen one's lacky who does all the work and gets none of the credit" story.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Dicksmoker said:
It doesn't fit with the wikipedia definition. Go ahead and tell me how Dagoth Ur's actions fit with the wikipedia definition.

OH SHIT IT DOESN'T FIT THE WIKIPEDIA DEFINITION YOU GOT ME GOOD SON!

Faggot.

Do you want to try to bullshit your way out of that one too?

I don't need to, the definition you provided does not contradict mine.

And actually, clicking on that link you provided, it doesn't say anything or even imply anything about infiltration either.[/quyote]

Yes it does you fucker. "an act or instance of invading or entering as an enemy,"

Dagoth Ur's pawns weren't entering Morrowind cities to bring them cookeis you dumb fuck, they were entering with the intention of sabotaging and eventually taking them over.

If you want to claim you're using a different definition

I"m not using a different definition, your definition is just arbitrarily narrow and made that way just to contradict me.

DraQ

Arcane
Mastermind said:
Dagoth Ur's pawns weren't entering Morrowind cities to bring them cookeis you dumb fuck
Actually they were.

Dagoth Ur sought to bring *his* people sort of biothaumic singularity and throw off the imperial yoke from Dunmer lands.

He couldn't wrap his head around rejection of his cookies, them mortals being unbelievably shortsighted and unwilling to get transformed into vaguely lovecraftian looking abominations, even though his plans would spell out a glorious future and potential divinity for them all, and even though cookies would spoil if ingested unwillingly and transform the unfortunate recipient into a mindless walking tumor, so it would be better to accept them anyway.
Nevertheless, he was bringing them cookies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom