Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News ELEX II announced

Both parties are correct: ELEX did have some issues messing with the exploration, but it also had some of the best exploration around.

There was an issue in ELEX with enemies placed somewhat haphazardly in terms of difficulty, leading to an uneven experience. You could be adventuring somewhere, dealing with enemies roughly around your power level, and constantly run into something that would wipe its ass with you. So at times, you had to really search for stuff you could tackle, instead of a more organic progression in Gothic 1, 2, and Risen 1. And the map markers also hurt exploration.

But despite that, the world was so original, well designed, and full of cool stuff to find and explore, that it's one of the better exploration games I've ever played.

Aside from exploration, it also nailed quests and factions. For a relatively small open world game (70 hours to complete everything?), it had an astounding 500 quests I believe, and most of these weren't just FedEx quests, but involved missions with complex C&C. And I loved the original setting, in some ways the ruins of Magalan felt more Fallout than Fallout.

The combat was the worst offender. Still better than Bethesda combat, but the rolling got old fast, blocking was OP and boring without proper stamina management, and parrying only worked on a small subset of enemies and was kinda weird. That's the thing they need to improve for ELEX 2 the most.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
ELEX is more of a local meme than anything. The only good thing about it, is the traditional free-form world design e.g. (go anywhere, when you want), otherwise it's pretty shitty.

- janky movement/controls
- console UI
- outdated graphics
- bland factions
- mediocre MMO-tier crap loot
- boring combat
- HP bloat
- €50 overpriced price tag

The truth is that this mediocre console RPG would have been shat on and torched under normal conditions, if not for the post-Renaissance drought.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looking forward to this, though I do hope that stats do something other than unlock skills and items this time around.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
And main problem is that combat is boring not hard, you just jet to a elevated spot and when the mob is close just jump down and repeat.

I used that once. And I figth only melee. And I eliminated with starting pipe some dino, you know. It WAS actually hard.
Maybe not that pipe, but some initial weapon after it. You could fight melee with bad weapon, it will only take you long time and you shoudn't make any mistake.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
You're not going to get another good game from PB. They are just tired, middle-aged men who have lost their spark and don't have the energy to do something original or good anymore but they don't know how to do anything else. It's part of life.

If you really want more Gothic, you are better off starting a company and making it yourself.

The fuck did I just watch? Where is the gameplay? Didn't the devs get too old for this teen angsty shit? Not even proper metal.

JDR13

Arcane
Aside from exploration, it also nailed quests and factions. For a relatively small open world game (70 hours to complete everything?), it had an astounding 500 quests I believe, and most of these weren't just FedEx quests, but involved missions with complex C&C. And I loved the original setting, in some ways the ruins of Magalan felt more Fallout than Fallout.

Agree with that except for the part about being relatively small. Elex is pretty damn big.

OctavianRomulus

Learned

Agree with that except for the part about being relatively small. Elex is pretty damn big.

And that is the root of all of its problems. The defining overlooked feature of the good PB games is the small, intricate, interconnected world. In such a world, everything you do, every item, and every satchel of gold matters. Let other games have huge worlds with 30 towns in them. Not every game needs to be the Witcher 3.

JDR13

Arcane

And that is the root of all of its problems. The defining overlooked feature of the good PB games is the small, intricate, interconnected world. In such a world, everything you do, every item, and every satchel of gold matters. Let other games have huge worlds with 30 towns in them. Not every game needs to be the Witcher 3.

Eh? Gothic 2 + NotR was probably almost as big as Elex.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There was an issue in ELEX with enemies placed somewhat haphazardly in terms of difficulty, leading to an uneven experience.

That's putting it very generously. As was already said ITT, the diff. curve is VERY fucked up in non-modded Elex, even for the usual standard of fucked up diff. curves in RPGs. You p. much can't afford to take on anything before you get to the town, run a bunch of non-combat quests and get 10+ levels. For me the first 10 hours of Elex wasn't an RPG but an adventure game. Then the mid game was fine but the last 10 hours was super boring faceroll slog.

And then the modders come and they completely fix this. Really, Pankratz?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Eh? Gothic 2 + NotR was probably almost as big as Elex.
ELEX is bigger than every gothic game combined IMO

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's still best open world for me.
Will certainly buy it.
Game could use more funds on graphics, animations, combat and sounds. But that is all just gimmicks. It's great in it's core.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's still best open world for me.
Will certainly buy it.
Game could use more funds on graphics, animations, combat and sounds. But that is all just gimmicks. It's great in it's core.
it's less than the graphics and animation, but the biggest problem is how janky the movement and combat is.

movement: like there is a a delay between your input and how jax moves. you stop pressing the W button, and jax usually still takes a step forward. the same with starting to walk. like there is some delay of input that makes the movement so imprecise.

hitbox: sometimes your weapons just float over the enemy and it hits. sometimes the reverse. the actual hit responsiveness itself is good actually. heavy attack stagger, light attack depending on enemy sizes doesn't. you can take advantage of enemy wind up animation and time your hit so they staggers as they are about to unleash their big attack. attack telegraohing is decent too. other than that, ranged combat need more recoil and variety in how guns work. (which seem to be fixed by elex overhaul)

that's it. i thought gothic games really had great hitboxes despite janky animation. the trails lines of melee attacks makes it clearer too, which is regressing in gothic 3 and beyond.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
ELEX is bigger than every gothic game combined IMO

That could be accurate.

I remember shortly after the game was announced, German magazine Gamestar did an interview with Björn Pankratz.
The interviewer asked something like this: "How large will the gameworld be in Elex? I liked your gameworlds better when they were smaller."
Björn answered: "Then I am happy to tell you that Elex will be 1.5 times bigger than Gothic 3."

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom