Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
E2_13x13_2NDKA_SKYAND_102020_CL-scaled.jpg
Nobody except me seems to remember anything about Risen 3 in this thread, eh?

C'mon guys... Thats just one of the shadow lords from R3. The alien dogs are just shadow dogs from R3.
And those alien bases are just the skull shadow portal thingies from R3.

Even Morkons seem a little like Demon Hunter faction from R3.
We are pretending Ryzen 3 doesn't exist.

PB faction are usually easy to figure out, but I'm having doubts on this one.

Berserkers - racist ren fair society. "Play this one if you liked Gothic"
Clerics - sci-fi paladins. "Play this one if you like lasers"
Outlaws - post-apocalyptic faction. "Play this one if you liked Fallout New Vegas"
Albs - autists on crack, now learning to have feelings. "Please consume Elex in moderation."
Morkons - Dwarves but grown-up? "we've lived underground for a long time so we're even more racist than everyone else. what a great idea". I guess we'll have dungeons again, like Gothic 1, so that's good.
Skiands - zergs? dark elves? WTF is "dark Elex" anyway? I guess this is the evil faction now that Albs are not so bad.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Is it just me or, is it:
THQ Nordic bought them, then they raped ELEX franchise?

Cunt Dickula!?

Which influences of THQ Nordic do you see in ELEX 2 atm? The jetpack which might break the whole game?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, original ELEX was hinting about some consequences ESPECIALLY after you defeat Hawking (crossbreed with Dawkins). These trailers don't show anything about them.
Original game had rather unique and nice story, that was making sense. From what I seen from trailers, ELEX2 is using a some sort variant of old cliché story. (Kinda reminds me Fallout 3 original story. "Have you seen my father?")
Dark ELEX doesn't make sense. Berserkers were refining ELEX and basically were screwing stuff royally. If there would be problem with ELEX not done by aliens, it would be because of theirs stuff.

Dark ELEX just says: we need story, we need final boss, and it doesn't need to make sense.
jW9FtuS.png

It looks like he returned from concentration camp. Or work camp for politically incorrect prisoners. It says a volumes about ELEX 2 mishaps.

Cunt Dickula!?

Well, original ELEX was hinting about some consequences ESPECIALLY after you defeat Hawking (crossbreed with Dawkins). These trailers don't show anything about them.
Did you really expect cross-game choices and consequences from Piranha Bytes?
Of all their games only Gothic 3 and ELEX have ANY c&c in the main quest. They just tried that approach a second time with ELEX.
Remember the endings of G3? Risen is considered to continue the story of G3 and what did they do? They declared one ending from G3 as canonic and took away your choices just as they will do in ELEX 2.

Original game had rather unique and nice story, that was making sense. From what I seen from trailers, ELEX2 is using a some sort variant of old cliché story. (Kinda reminds me Fallout 3 original story. "Have you seen my father?")
We don't know at this point how the story will develop. You are right that at the moment it looks like a very cheap clichee story.
Some brilliant genius of a poster even pointed out that it might just be a copy of the R3 story.

But the role of Jaxs son could at least be a little interesting imo. (will probably also be very cringy as they have no experience at all writing kids)

Dark ELEX doesn't make sense. Berserkers were refining ELEX and basically were screwing stuff royally. If there would be problem with ELEX not done by aliens, it would be because of theirs stuff.
Yeah Dark Elex is pretty cheap. I have to give you that.
Maybe they use the potential of Dark Elex infested Dex though. Don't forget that Caja is one of the most powerful mages in Magalan.
Could be that her kid will become some evil dark elex harry potter or smth. Or basically the Kerrigan plot from Starcraft.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Is it just me or, is it:
THQ Nordic bought them, then they raped ELEX franchise?
Raped? Man, way to jump to conclusions.

Dark ELEX doesn't make sense. [...] Dark ELEX just says: we need story, we need final boss, and it doesn't need to make sense.
Mining ore has always been central to PB games. There's a resource that can do many things, and everyone wants it for different reasons or has goals tied to it, which focuses the story and creates a reason for conflict between factions. With Elex they added terrain and species corruption, which is great.

I don't see the problem with the introduction of a new resource. In any case, they'll make it make sense. It doesn't need a big explanation really, it's a catalyst, a way to drive new conflicts, evolve the setting and the enemies, present a new mystery, add more abilities, transform the factions, etc. It's not really about an endgame boss, but that will be derived from it too. The reshuffling of the world and conflicts will make exploring the setting fresh again, and that's much more important than some boss.

From what I seen from trailers, ELEX2 is using a some sort variant of old cliché story.
About the story, we honestly don't know shit but the setup. I think the main conflict is not in the trailers at all, because I think it's a mystery driven thing tied to dark elex, and PB likes to understate it, as it is better discovered in play.

What's new is that they're going with an emotional hook with the family. We'll see what they manage to do with it. They also tried to inject more emotional motivation in the first ELEX, what with you being betrayed at the start. That wasn't a bad driving purpose at all. They might even go with the vengeance angle for the kid, maybe even the horror one. Man I sure do hope horrible things happen to that kid, that would be great. Caja too.

About the main character's face, yeah, that's a shame. Same for the voice. Pure decline there, granted.

Simple Simon

Scholar
Do we have any details on whether the game will incorporate your choices from Elex 1? And if so, how? Or will there likely only be one cannon playthrough that Elex 2 follows?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Do we have any details on whether the game will incorporate your choices from Elex 1? And if so, how? Or will there likely only be one cannon playthrough that Elex 2 follows?
I'd be very surprised if any choices are ported over, it's not something PB does. Plus, there's a time jump and a reshuffling of the factions that makes many of those choices less important anyways.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dark elex makes sense, just i had wished they hadn't called it dark elex for obviously bad fantasy naming schemes.

Caja in elex 1 said the elex that made ice/cold (aka magalan's default elex) isn't the original form of elex. That implies the elex that arrived from the comet either changed when it reached the planet itself, or it was a different variety.

Mana also has the same "voice" as elex, so it's pretty obvious elex has different kind of state depending on the process or environment they are put into.

Now dark elex, whether it was modified by the skyands to suit their environment (similar to how berserker made mana) or it was the default form of elex, we don't know. It could imply if A: skyands didn't create elex. They just use it to invade worlds using elex, maybe figuring more tricks to use elex more than the humans on magalan did (like long distance teleportations, etc) due to having more time with elex.

Or B: skyands created elex they can control it however they can and i honestly don't know how jax are gonna fight them if it's the case because you know if one comet annihilated magalan, this is the race that created them then they're dealing with god-like level of threats.

But the key is another faction that use elex differently makes sense within the rules of the world, obvious even just i agree the name dark elex imply generic evil force.

Edit: additional details of the dark elex mutated creatures the skyands control are similar to how albs control mutants using their magic on top of additional cybernetic parts put into the mutants to make the control easier. Maybe the skyands so those generic enemy dogs creatures still makes sense in the world of elex.

I'd like to give PB more credit in their worldbuilding because the worldbuilding of elex are actually pretty complex and in depth and they left some mysteries that have various possible answers.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
the name dark elex imply generic evil force
I think they're using "dark" elex in a way that references dark matter rather than just using dark to mean the evil version of elex.

In any case, I hope they'll make it something weird, wondrous and deadly, rather than simply evil.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Of course not. You have a son with Caja. The Hybrid is dead. No one trusts you regardless of the faction. It's Mass Effect 2 all over again.

Cunt Dickula!?

The Hybrid is dead.
The machine part of the hybrid was destroyed.
Dr. Dawkins lives and will basically be the new Xardas - the misunderstood outsider that helps you.
But people think hes still evil.

Dodo1610

Arcane
There was another german stream showing the first 1.5h with an updated version in which Jax and Caja look slightly better.

+ again german interview with new english footage from the different faction settlements.

Last edited:

Hellion

Arcane
I asked for a preview code and the absolute madladz sent me a beta version of the entire game lol, I might actually finish it tonight.

It definitely needs more polishing in some areas, but as far as beta versions go it's rather complete.

There's a preview embargo for December 6th, and I'm only allowed to show/write about only the 1st chapter of the game. So there's bound to be an influx of previews at that date.

Harthwain

Magister
There's a preview embargo for December 6th, and I'm only allowed to show/write about only the 1st chapter of the game. So there's bound to be an influx of previews at that date.
Why only the 1st chapter? Makes me wonder if the game is taking a nosedive after that point...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom