Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Mark Richard

Arcane
Gentleman, this discussion is pointless. PC Gamer awarded game of the decade to Dragon Age 2 in their 2011 review, so the next award won't be available till 2020. The good news is game of the millennium is still on the table.

Lord Andre

Arcane
When you retards are saying best rpg of the last 10 years you at least mean "open-world" only right? You can't be retarded enough to think Twitcher3 is the best across the whole rpg spectrum, no one can be that retarded.

Kitchen Utensil

Cmon Elex, be good, pls. Just pls. I really need a good PB game in my life now.
Decent will do the job to.

Well, judging by current industry parameters, anything "decent" is easily game of the year. W3, which is prolly the best game in last 10 years, would be far less praised and successful if there was anything on remotely same level as it :/

As such, yeah a decent game would be fucking god damn good.
Well the Witcher 3 have some shitty gameplay outside of gwent,but its level design and writing is top notch.Novigrad and the city from Blood and wine are amazingly well crafted and lively.

Exactly. A game with shit game play (literally, shit game play) is the best game in last 10 years. Thats how bad things are.

Only retards think Witcher 3 is the best game in 10 years.

And which one would be according to the non-retards?

That's up for debate. But Witcher 3's shitty gameplay, itemisation and otherwise terrible rpg-systems really make everyone look retarded who even considers it a good game, let alone best of a decade. Nice graphics, hours of cutscenes and one or two interesting quest lines don't make a good game.

Well, lets debate. Which one? Not saying W3 is a masterpiece, far from it, but its better than anything industry has spat out in last 10 years. Dark Souls being only series worthy of competition, suffering from the inverse set of problems - brilliant design and game play, lackluster plot. Or rather, mini-plot filled with plot holes. Not that I mind the mini-plot model, especially not in Dark Souls, but creating a classical archplot takes up way more resources, time and skill, thus I usually weigh both the best DS game (w/e you agree is the best) and W3 on the same level.

Well, in the post above you wrote "best game in last 10 years". Just to clarify for fantadomat.

Also, I'd like my games to have some good gameplay, and in that regard there are dozens of games which are leagues above Witcher 3. All that fucking money spent on that story, which isn't even that interesting as everyone claims (the story goes downhill fast after that bloody baron quest) should have gone into some good gameplay systems. Dark Souls is one example which does everything better than Witcher 3, most importantly; it has gameplay. Even the story is more interesting, because you have to do some thinking and be active in order to unravel what's going on (which also allows people who don't care to simply ignore it) and you can do so to varying degrees. I get fucking bored by Witcher 3's in-your-face storytelling. The huge world is fucking empty, there's nothing there, eventhough the cluttered map suggests otherwise. One sword looks and plays like every other, the skill-tree is a joke, the crafting is atrocious. I could go on, but I don't feel like ranting about the Witcher sense mechanic and all that other bullshit in this "game". Everything gameplay in Witcher 3 is an abomination. The only thing Witcher has is "production value". Style over substance. Dark Souls is a game. Dragon's Dogma is a game. Witcher 3 is an interactive movie disguised as a game. One of many, and maybe it's the best interactive movie of the last decade, I wouldn't know. But it's a shit game.

I'm not even interested in finding out what the real best game of the last decade is. But it's not The Witcher 3.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Story and dialogue can be part of the gameplay if done properly. Same goes for world/map/leveldesign. Gothic showed that, Planescape Torment showed that, and Witcher 3 showed that. On top of that, Witcher 3 has stunning graphics + atmosphere.

Witcher 3 is to storyfags the same as Dark Souls is to dungeoncrawlfags. The worst of its parts is servicable, the best is easily good enough to forgive its flaws.

Its not the best game in 10 years, but pretty fucking close to it if you can accept the fact that youre dealing with a system-light-rpg. Grognards of course will still favor to post on the codex how shit the game is for not having the character generation of a wizardry clone or whatever, but who the fuck actually considers their opinion aside from Roqua?

v1rus

Arcane
Well, in the post above you wrote "best game in last 10 years". Just to clarify for fantadomat.

Also, I'd like my games to have some good gameplay, and in that regard there are dozens of games which are leagues above Witcher 3. All that fucking money spent on that story, which isn't even that interesting as everyone claims (the story goes downhill fast after that bloody baron quest) should have gone into some good gameplay systems. Dark Souls is one example which does everything better than Witcher 3, most importantly; it has gameplay. Even the story is more interesting, because you have to do some thinking and be active in order to unravel what's going on (which also allows people who don't care to simply ignore it) and you can do so to varying degrees. I get fucking bored by Witcher 3's in-your-face storytelling. The huge world is fucking empty, there's nothing there, eventhough the cluttered map suggests otherwise. One sword looks and plays like every other, the skill-tree is a joke, the crafting is atrocious. I could go on, but I don't feel like ranting about the Witcher sense mechanic and all that other bullshit in this "game". Everything gameplay in Witcher 3 is an abomination. The only thing Witcher has is "production value". Style over substance. Dark Souls is a game. Dragon's Dogma is a game. Witcher 3 is an interactive movie disguised as a game. One of many, and maybe it's the best interactive movie of the last decade, I wouldn't know. But it's a shit game.

I'm not even interested in finding out what the real best game of the last decade is. But it's not The Witcher 3.

I actually agree on most points. Dont get me wrong, once again. Witcher 3 has many faults (good deal of 'em you mentioned, in a hurry now, cant get into details about whats wrong with the game (lots of stuff is - you should fucking delete PoIs from the game, exploration is fake, world is empty and zones are repattive)), but the thing it does right, it does really fucking right. Main plot, as many people have brought out already, is weak and badly structured. Yet, the main thing that makes Witcher 3 as powerful as it is - those people look like real people and talk like real people (cutscenes are also well-directed, but thats beside the point). W3 has demonstrated how powerful the medium can be when you combine that with choices and consequences.

And yes, combat is shit, once again. Still, it doesnt make W3 an interactive film, its just makes it a game with bad (or rather, lets be realistic) average gameplay. And I, personally, hated the fucking gameplay so much.

Witcher 3 is to storyfags the same as Dark Souls is to dungeoncrawlfags. The worst of its parts is servicable, the best is easily good enough to forgive its flaws.

Can't brofist this hard enough.

And granted, yeah, I did say "best game in last 10 years" way too lightly. Best RPG, sure, best game a bit harder, since the scope is way wider.

MasPingon

Arcane

You sound like an edgy Dark Souls fanboy. Buaaah, Witcher 3 does things different so it sucks. Calm down dude, breathe.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't think there was a better designed city than Novigrad in any game ever released up until this point. It's not even an exaggeration. That shit was tight.

Really? Didn't seem that wow-worthy to me. Just streets, houses...people. Meh.

The Novigrad part of the game was the most boring at any rate. The Vizima quests in TW1 were much more interesting/entertaining in my book.

MasPingon

Arcane
I don't think there was a better designed city than Novigrad in any game ever released up until this point. It's not even an exaggeration. That shit was tight.

Really? Didn't seem that wow-worthy to me. Just streets, houses...people. Meh.

The Novigrad part of the game was the most boring at any rate. The Vizima quests in TW1 were much more interesting/entertaining in my book.
Khorinis? Novigrad was pretty, but I got a feeling it was just a web of corridors, like many open spaces in The Witcher franchise. What the hell was Temple Quater for on the north side? What was purpose of this place? I have played TW3 3 times and always felt it's a place abandoned by devs, like they have forgotten about this huge area. I can see quest designers working on it:

- Fucking Temple Quater, who even put it there?we will do something about it if we got time left, all right Stephen?
- About what, Josh?
- I forgot.

It felt terribly empty and the only reason it's there is the cutscene with Ciri and Dandelion. While playing Gothic 2 you know everything is there for a gameplay reason and you will interact with those places sooner or later. There is not a thing in Khorinis which only purpose is to look nice.

Last edited:
Witcher 3 IS the best RPG of the last 10 years, and it's not even close. The thing is, while it has flaws, it is a game that pushed the genre forward. Its level of writing, dialogues, lore and atmosphere is unlike anything before, its scope, the huge world, the gray choices, the graphics and physics, it's like nothing that came before. Which other game from the last 10 years can you say that about? I mean I like New Vegas, but it was not nearly as revolutionary while sharing many of the flaws (even worse combat when un-modded). Most RPGs in the last 10 years have either been absolute crap (Bethesda's and Bioware's lineups) or inferior re-hashes of older games (PoE, D:OS, W2, AoD, etc). W3 was something new and refreshing.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Witcher 3 IS the best RPG of the last 10 years, and it's not even close. The thing is, while it has flaws, it is a game that pushed the genre forward. Its level of writing, dialogues, lore and atmosphere is unlike anything before, its scope, the huge world, the gray choices, the graphics and physics, it's like nothing that came before.

No.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Witcher 3 IS the best RPG of the last 10 years, and it's not even close.

Nah, that's too sweeping. If you said Witcher 3 is "the best written game ever released" I'd agree. If you said it has the best designed characters and quests, again, probably true. It's one of the most beautiful games, certainly, the music is amazing and the world is well designed. But the character development is simply bad (definitely worse than the previous Witchers), the combat serviceable at best and the itemization one of the worst in any major game in living memory.

The game is simply too uneven to be pronounced the best in the last 10 years with such certainty. I think FromSoft fans would sneer at your suggestion Witcher 3 is more revolutionary than anything before like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. "In the last 10 years" also includes Gothic 3, Risen 1 and Dragon's Dogma and there are people who would say those games had better combat and world design than TW3 - me among them.

Plus there's the factor X problem - I've certainly enjoyed Witcher 3, a lot, but I've enjoyed the likes of MMX, Wasteland 2 DC, LoG2 or Shadowrun: Dragonfall more. With hindsight I'm not even sure I've enjoyed TW3 more than the previous two Witchers. Plus right now TW3 seems like a game with an exceptionally low replay value.

Nah, that's too sweeping. If you said Witcher 3 is "the best written game ever released" I'd agree. If you said it has the best designed characters and quests, again, probably true. It's one of the most beautiful games, certainly, the music is amazing and the world is well designed. But the character development is simply bad (definitely worse than the previous Witchers), the combat serviceable at best and the itemization one of the worst in any major game in living memory.

The game is simply too uneven to be pronounced the best in the last 10 years with such certainty. I think FromSoft fans would sneer at your suggestion Witcher 3 is more revolutionary than anything before like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls.

Dark Souls might have an interesting combat system, but as a game, it not really a full scale RPG. It's more akin to Diablo, just a constant combat crawl with some barebones story and exploration sprinkled in between. For the same reason I wouldn't bring up Diablo when discussing full-on RPGs like Baldur's Gate or Fallout, I wouldn't really bring up Dark Souls in this conversation.

"In the last 10 years" also includes Gothic 3, Risen 1 and Dragon's Dogma and there are people who would say those games had better combat and world design than TW3 - me among them.

I am a huge Gothic 1/2 fan, these are two of my all-time favorites, but common. Gothic 3 is a joke. Risen 1 was a decent game, but it's basically an inferior rip-off of early Gothics, so while I enjoyed it, I can't hold it up as a great game. Dragon's Dogma is also a combat heavy game that doesn't belong in the same conversation.

Kitchen Utensil

The game is simply too uneven to be pronounced the best in the last 10 years with such certainty. I think FromSoft fans would sneer at your suggestion Witcher 3 is more revolutionary than anything before like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls.

Dark Souls might have an interesting combat system, but as a game, it not really a full scale RPG. It's more akin to Diablo, just a constant combat crawl with some barebones story and exploration sprinkled in between. For the same reason I wouldn't bring up Diablo when discussing full-on RPGs like Baldur's Gate or Fallout, I wouldn't really bring up Dark Souls in this conversation.

"In the last 10 years" also includes Gothic 3, Risen 1 and Dragon's Dogma and there are people who would say those games had better combat and world design than TW3 - me among them.

I am a huge Gothic 1/2 fan, these are two of my all-time favorites, but common. Gothic 3 is a joke. Risen 1 was a decent game, but it's basically an inferior rip-off of early Gothics, so while I enjoyed it, I can't hold it up as a great game. Dragon's Dogma is also a combat heavy game that doesn't belong in the same conversation.

The conversation started as "best game in last 10 years". Not best RPG.
And even then, Witcher 3 is not a good RPG. Its RPG systems are, maybe with the exception of parts of the story and some C&C, shit.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Dark Souls 1 is absolutely a full scale RPG with the best action combat ever devised, fantastic itemization, wonderful open, interconnected world, rich lore and even NPCs and quests, although a bit non-traditional. I also used to think DS is only a glorified action-RPG lite until I actually played it last year. I can see you're still in the first stage.

Gothic 3 is not a joke, it's one of the best RPGs ever made in my book. It's quite a bit different than G 1/2 but equally good. Have you played it with all the community patches and mods? Because the modders turned a torso of a great game into an actual great game. And Dragon's Dogma absolutely does belong in the same conversation, it's a proper, full blooded, open-world RPG.

Dude, you can't just arbitrarily remove from the "conversation" all the games that don't fit your argument :lol: Especially if you haven't really played them, which is quite clear from your comments.

Lord Andre

Arcane
TFW you're waiting for someone to post a sane opinion...

DHPoSeaVYAACwGT.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom