Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
cutting_edge.png

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

4 "randomly" chosen readers of pcgames test Elex along with Björn Pangratz (Piranha Bytes) and Florian Emmerich (THQ Nordic) for 5 hours. no new footage and also no too critical feedback of the readers

What the four concluded:

Pro:

• Atmosphere. It smells like Gothic, you feel immediately like home.
  • You start as a weakling without any armour.
  • It's just fun to explore the environment.
  • Combat in the beginning is tough and needs getting used to. Due to the stamina system button-mashing leads nowhere. High difficulty in the beginning, therefore you die often.
  • harsh dialogues, typical PB-humour
  • faces and natural looking skin tones look well-made
  • game world looks homogeneous
  • Science-Fantasy-Setting is working quite well
  • Jetpack is fun, convenient in combat, for exploration and too avoid falling damage
  • AI can be abused to, e.g. lure a troll to a camp
  • No artificial borders, only own weakness and enemies strength limits progression
Con:

• Combat in the beginning is tough and needs getting used to. Due to the stamina system button-mashing leads nowhere. High difficulty in the beginning, therefore you die often.
  • vegetation and trees weirdly weigh like crazy in the wind. looks just odd and is annoying.
  • frantic moving shadows from vegetation jump all over npc's faces in dialogs and are annoying.
  • The effect that simulates the eyes adapting to different lights is far too long/strong. Coming from the sunlit outside into a dark room leaves you blind for some seconds, even when coming into a similarly well lit room or when using a torch.
  • assignment of keys at times weird. You need to use backspace instead of ESC with no option to rebind them.
  • characters are not so well-developed as e.g. in Witcher 3
  • graphics are not up-to-date but look nice enough
  • low-res textures occasionally
additional feedback:

• option to hide the quickslot, without removing the HUD entirely.
  • Trading interfaces should allow input from the keyboard. the number of items is determined by cursor key-hits.
  • more aid and hints in order to track quests would be nice.
Misc:

• some smaller bugs but nothing severe
  • Autosave-Intervall is configurable
  • difficulty level can be changed mid-game
  • difficulty level also affects "minigames" like chopping, lockpicking or hacking

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
I'm a little out of touch, but is anyone actually expecting a good game to come out of this? Has anyone played any pre-release versions and have any comments on gameplay etc?

I'm no great fan of the Gothics, but Risen 1 was decent until near the end. I haven't summoned the will to play the others even though I own Risen 2.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
when someone comes in here and doubts the ELEX or tries to disparage the ELEX or comes to mock those who love ELEX, do not insult them, do not shun them, but show them the Truth about ELEX so that they may also receive its greatness.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Those cons are still not bad, and I'm not sure why difficulty are considered to be one. The key assignment is a bit odd though.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
At some point I was following this thread and it was all

:negative:

Now it seems to have turned into

:dance:

I'm assuming it's a coping strategy and ELEX the meme has taken over from ELEX the game, but I just wanted to check before I join the party.

In a time where Trump is President and Grimoire actually came out, there's only one logical thing to do--believe. The personification of Incline is upon us, and its name is ELEX!

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Despite Risen 2 and 3 being "bad" I still liked them for their charm. The combat somewhat sucked in 2 so you mostly abused your musket and dodge rolls since swordplay was basically random, in 3 you really had to outplay your enemy in swordplay to win and it wasn't anywhere near as random as Risen 2, but the easy way out is spamming shotgun and musket and dodge rolls. But the quests, characters and world were really enjoyable so I overall liked them. Main issue with Risen 3 for me was that there wasn't enough shit to do. I couldn't really go cave exploring in the late game because I probably already cleared them out since most of them were questline related.

• assignment of keys at times weird. You need to use backspace instead of ESC with no option to rebind them.

This is pretty baffling to me. They better fix this ASAP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom