Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Patched Gothic 3 is almost on par with NOTR.
Please watch this.

That's actually a pretty good video and I mostly agree on the combat points (except the constant whining about animations).

The problem the dude has is a lack of perspective. Yes, G3 combat is worse than D2. But show me a non-TB RPG with a better one. Yes, Dark Souls, obviously. Anything else? Thought so.

Truth is despite its shortcommings the combat is still acceptable. Plus it's way more interesting and complex than vast majority of the competition. And Gothic 3 is not just the combat. It boasts an enjoyable exploration and also BY FAR the most open and free game world ever made. You can go almost anywhere from the very start, you can kill everybody in the world and the game won't break. It's fucking impressive.

Yes they clearly run out of time, money and patience of many involved. But I just admire what they created nevertheless, the scope and ambition of the world and the game. Too bad all things PB went to shit after that (well, Risen 1 is still a good game but everything else sucks).

Old Hans

Arcane
QOWhNaJ.jpg
I like the idea of combining sci-fi and fantasy, but man does that "fantasy" armor in the middle section look awful. I'd kind of like to see the 100% sci-fi version of this picture.

that picture looks like it came from some generic 1990s rpg rulebook - "YOU CAN BE ANYTHING IN THE WORLD OF TARGOS! the first game with over 900 skills!"

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Lol.

Then again Wizardry 7 mixed SF and fantasy too and it's the best RPG ever made. So it is doable. Sadly today's PB is not 1990 Sir-Tech.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
that picture looks like it came from some generic 1990s rpg rulebook - "YOU CAN BE ANYTHING IN THE WORLD OF TARGOS! the first game with over 900 skills!"
Totally. I guess at its best, PB reminds me of the sweet naivete of those dorky RPGs of the past. I have abysmally low expectations for ELEX, but nostalgia for goofy stuff like this is one more reason I'd love to see them pull it off.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hope they tie gun skills to accuracy and aiming instead of damage...

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I always find the combination of melee and guns problematic unless there's some half-way plausible lore explanation (e.g. the shields in Dune) why I would want to attack someone with a sword instead of a rifle.

This. There's a reason modern day marines don't carry swords and halberds.
This is very weird sentence from a person who's living in a country that has 14 tanks. (Another 14 are repaired or in storage.)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I always find the combination of melee and guns problematic unless there's some half-way plausible lore explanation (e.g. the shields in Dune) why I would want to attack someone with a sword instead of a rifle.

This. There's a reason modern day marines don't carry swords and halberds.
This is very weird sentence from a person who's living in a country that has 14 tanks. (Another 14 are repaired or in storage.)

Um...suuuure.

:backawayslowly:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
The problem the dude has is a lack of perspective.
What?! Not trying to sound like a knob here, but seriously dude, watch his whole series if you haven't. It's very good.

He played and reviewed all the games in the Gothic series, thoroughly, even Forsaken Gods! The last thing you can accuse him of is lacking perspective...

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
If you are living in protectorate B und ... , series T-72M4CZ had 27 combat tanks, 3 command tanks, and 3 recovery tanks. About half of these combat tanks have technical dificuties and need to get repairs. I didn't bother to look if they have money, or if they spend them to pay rich to improve theirs companies.
Half of 27 is about 14.

Original series was planed to 140 - 300, but they spend these money to loan Gripens.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
It's practically an amalgam of Gothic 1 and 2.
*Feels slightly like Gothic 1/2 game-play/C&C wise for Chapter 1 only. After that it's almost like PB outsourced development for the rest of the game. The fuck happened?!
*Lacks the charm Gothic 1 and 2 had - forgettable story and characters.
*Completely unrewarding and pointless exploration, outside the small hubs (although after Chapter 1, the hubs become pointless to explore as well.)
*Combat system is questionable at times - enemies can magically pivot in place when you dodge. Feels like a step back from Gothic 2, thanks to controllers most likely.
*Designed with X360 in mind, so technical limitations are apparent.
*Enemy placement is claustrophobic and senseless across the entire map, feels like an MMO grind-fest.
*WoW look-a-like inventory is ugly as hell (personal gripe).
*Short length - not that I was complaining, couldn't wait for it to be over.

Stop huffing paint, it's shite.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

:prosper:

Nigger, I advise that you check how the console port of R1sen looked like and then revisit your stance.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Nigger, I advise that you check how the console port of R1sen looked like and then revisit your stance.
I don't mean in terms of graphical fidelity, in that sense it was fine. I meant in the overall scope, it felt like a well made Peter Molyneux RPG - that's not a compliment.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The fact that the R1sen console port was downright unplayable for a hundred million billion reasons is, I think, a good enough indicator that your claim of the game being made with the xbawks in mind is full of shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom