Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Yes. Gothic 2 did have abysmal combat. It was just dancing on your keyboard to a certain beat, hoping you didn't get hit or the animations didn't glitch out and one hit meant death. Let's be realistic lads, all PB games have shit combat.

Codex Year of the Donut
Yes. Gothic 2 did have abysmal combat. It was just dancing on your keyboard to a certain beat, hoping you didn't get hit or the animations didn't glitch out and one hit meant death. Let's be realistic lads, all PB games have shit combat.
It's the codex. If a game is bad, everything about it is awful with zero redeeming qualities. If a game is good, everything about it is amazing and the best thing ever with no flaws.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It's not a matter of timing or difficulty, you stupid fuck. It's dying once to learn the pattern and then easily killing any of that enemy in the game assuming you don't fuck up or alternatively just stunlocking them should their animation pattern be shit. I don't hate it because it's hard, I hate it because it's easy. The timings aren't tight enough to be actually difficult, but a few of the enemy animations are just bullshit and bad enough that you can get killed with practically no time to react. Who blocks in Gothic 2 anyway? When was the last time you even played Gothic 2? Backstepping is way more reliable.

passerby

Arcane
Just a long weapon like two hander and basic swing left and right with a wall, or rock behind your back, is all that is required to beat 90% of enemies in G2 with no damage taken, basically only large ones that have longer reach require backstepping.

Gothic 2 meele is indeed easy and boring as fuck.

razvedchiki

Erudite
Fenix for the mod, yes. they released a .pdf that has the weapons bunched up and lists their pre-reqs, their upgrade paths, and what intended changes they went through.

I'm curious to try the projectile launchers and flame throwers specifically.

So far, only about a few hours in and just running around and doing the usual "early game shit" -- easy xp, teleporters, free armors (gotta get my scrap scavenger getup going on).

Only noticeable difference is that quite a few weapons can be used earlier on since their +0 requirements are lower (for example, warbow or a laser rifle). The other noticeable change is that the _named_ artifact weapons are noticeably much stronger, which is good cuz many were disappointing -- even compared to a generic counterpart.

what mod?

Murk

Arcane
what mod?

This one:

Has anyone tried out this mod? It fixes a lot of the silly balance issues in the game and I'm really enjoying it. Makes weapons feel more unique and varied in their usefulness.
https://www.nexusmods.com/elex/mods/57?tab=description

Jinn btw, a few more hours in, and while my initial impressions haven't changed, here's a bit more if you're still interested:

1. More weapons are usable from an earlier stage due to a more standardized stat requirement approach
  2. Unique weapons are all basically top tier -- before some had very high stat requirements but poor performance compared to a generic counterpart -- like the Ignis Artifex -- which was outperformed by a fire enchanted warrior's word, but was basically a chance for non-berserkers to try that weapon type out. Now all of these named weapons are very very strong and either top of their chain or competitive with a +3 enchanted generic version.
  3. Difference between some melee weapons is basically nonexistent, where-as before they were basically +1 versions of each other (chain saber and chain sword are now just 1 atk off from one another)
  4. Ammo is a bit weirder now with it being mostly cheaper to buy -- what I mean by this is finding a single projectile in the game world feels less important, and stuff like energy cells or plasma cells you can buy tons of and not worry about it. It basically made bows, which were cheap ranged weapons for any type of playthrough no longer relevant since you can just get a laser rifle that has the same damage and spams shots faster for basically the same cost.
  5. The cooldown on shots mostly affects weapons like the plasma rifle -- you can still perma juggle individual enemies but can no longer juggle a whole mob coming at you
  6. Heavier guns don't feel as drastically different as I assumed, and to be honest, flame thrower seems more or less the same except for the cooldown thing.
  7. The readme of the mod states that shotguns are "more like rifles" now, but hey already were like that before tbh and they don't seem all that different -- unless they were given a range bonus and it's just hard to tell. I do of wish there was a proper sniper rifle in the game.
Overall I'd say it's not as _huge_ of a difference in playing the game but it hasn't been a downgrade in quality so far either. I think the gemstone thing is cool (makes them easier to get, basically) but that also is just sort of a generic buff.

For those who are curious and have a save file already, when I loaded an older end-game save with the mod file in the override folder -- it seemed to work just fine. You could try it out that way if you want to just see what it's like.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was interested in trying this game, so I looked up some footage. Why the fuck does every video I've seen make it seem like the game is running on 20 FPS? Is that how the game actually plays?

Jinn

Arcane
More weapons are usable from an earlier stage due to a more standardized stat requirement approach

Did you find this to negatively effect the balance a bit? Or desirable lack of balance that PB games often provide, rather? Does it make early-mid game much too easy?

Murk

Arcane
More weapons are usable from an earlier stage due to a more standardized stat requirement approach

Did you find this to negatively effect the balance a bit? Or desirable lack of balance that PB games often provide, rather? Does it make early-mid game much too easy?

I don't think it affected balance so much as it made me try out more weapons from the very beginning since you can basically access every single weapon tree with relatively modest stats (easily augmented with amulets + rings for a bit of stats here and there). At no point did I have _more_ damage, just more guns to use. What it did do however is lead me to use laser rifles a lot more since I usually don't bother with them until mid-to-late game.

So, what I mean is that before the warbow even at +0 had higher stat requirements but also did higher damage. Now the warbow actually does less damage than a hunter's bow. Each individual upgrade to each weapon is a much larger jump per "upgrade" and the differences are now in how they affect the skills and "overall characteristics" -- the way it's intended is that the hunter bow is a "strong and accurate sniper weapon" where-as the warbow is now primarily intended to use with scatter shot (it now shoots more arrows).

It's easier to explain using laser rifles. So the laser blasters have slightly lower damage, slightly lower stat requirements, higher magazine capacity, and have a higher rate of fire (across all modes). The laser rifle on the other hand which is slighter stronger and has slightly higher stat requirements has a smaller magazine and the delay between each shot is about 3x what the laser blasters' ROF is. Basically one is a "slow rate of fire more accurate/stronger automatic rifle" and the other is a "rapid fire low accuracy SMG with weaker individual shots."

Take a look at this image, and see how each "tree" starts at very similar stats at +0, but differentiate as they upgrade, and that their accuracy and cooldown are quite different from one another. Basically, each tree has an intended use and isn't just a +1 version of another.

0329a3a832ea1b91a7046c7a05a2effa.png

The shotguns are also different -- with the double-barrel tree being about 25% stronger in damage but has a longer cooldown between shots (and only 2 shells can be loaded at once) where-as the scrap shotgun tree is more like a semi-automatic rifle with lower damage but higher ROF.

Melee weapons are basically similar to how they were before except their hidden attributes were changed. Those are things like how much "stagger" damage they do and the range of min/max damage. They don't have the drastic differences in "intended use" as the ranged weapons do.

The biggest change in how weapons perform is the projectile launcher, which now shoots like 10 rounds a second and is very much a heavy machine-gun/auto-cannon style weapon; very satisfying when blasting down stronger individual enemies like a Patron or Cyclops.

The biggest change in weapon stats are the unique weapons which are now all basically the highest/strongest version in their respective trees, and each is given to a specific tree. I did like this change a lot since I thought it was really silly how a generic upgraded weapon was often better than a famed weapon... but it does mean that you are better off not upgrading a generic all the way and just getting the famed weapon -- though their stat requirements are often much, much, much higher and you get into the "must spend 5 stat points just to raise the stat by 1" territory for that, requiring you to really plan your levels (or chug a metric ton of elex potions).

EDIT: Typos.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
what mod?

This one:

Has anyone tried out this mod? It fixes a lot of the silly balance issues in the game and I'm really enjoying it. Makes weapons feel more unique and varied in their usefulness.
https://www.nexusmods.com/elex/mods/57?tab=description

Jinn btw, a few more hours in, and while my initial impressions haven't changed, here's a bit more if you're still interested:

1. More weapons are usable from an earlier stage due to a more standardized stat requirement approach
  2. Unique weapons are all basically top tier -- before some had very high stat requirements but poor performance compared to a generic counterpart -- like the Ignis Artifex -- which was outperformed by a fire enchanted warrior's word, but was basically a chance for non-berserkers to try that weapon type out. Now all of these named weapons are very very strong and either top of their chain or competitive with a +3 enchanted generic version.
  3. Difference between some melee weapons is basically nonexistent, where-as before they were basically +1 versions of each other (chain saber and chain sword are now just 1 atk off from one another)
  4. Ammo is a bit weirder now with it being mostly cheaper to buy -- what I mean by this is finding a single projectile in the game world feels less important, and stuff like energy cells or plasma cells you can buy tons of and not worry about it. It basically made bows, which were cheap ranged weapons for any type of playthrough no longer relevant since you can just get a laser rifle that has the same damage and spams shots faster for basically the same cost.
  5. The cooldown on shots mostly affects weapons like the plasma rifle -- you can still perma juggle individual enemies but can no longer juggle a whole mob coming at you
  6. Heavier guns don't feel as drastically different as I assumed, and to be honest, flame thrower seems more or less the same except for the cooldown thing.
  7. The readme of the mod states that shotguns are "more like rifles" now, but hey already were like that before tbh and they don't seem all that different -- unless they were given a range bonus and it's just hard to tell. I do of wish there was a proper sniper rifle in the game.
Overall I'd say it's not as _huge_ of a difference in playing the game but it hasn't been a downgrade in quality so far either. I think the gemstone thing is cool (makes them easier to get, basically) but that also is just sort of a generic buff.

For those who are curious and have a save file already, when I loaded an older end-game save with the mod file in the override folder -- it seemed to work just fine. You could try it out that way if you want to just see what it's like.

Should you use this for a first playthrough?

Murk

Arcane
Should you use this for a first playthrough?

"Should"? No, I don't think so -- but I am biased against mods in most cases other than bugfix only patches.

It's main benefits I think are for replays where you want to experience things differently with some degree of meta knowledge. If I could go back in time and play Elex for the first time again knowing about the mod, I think I'd choose without the mod again.

The mod would also make it impossible to use more than 1 or 2 of the unique/artifact weapons. In the base game they are weaker, but more accessible -- they basically allow you to use weapons that are otherwise not available to your faction.

Murk

Arcane
Well I had the impression that the base rpg mechanics of the game are so bad one should not bother with them.

There's some issues with it for sure (the base mechanics) but as long as you go into it knowing what it is, you won't be surprised by weirdness. Basically the issue is that your base stats are only used to determine what weapons you can use and what skills you can learn as opposed to outright giving you damage/hp/magic damage/whatever.

The mod in question wouldn't change this at all tho.

And yeah, you can just plop it in mid-save -- I did it on one of my end-game saves to test some weapons out.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
There's some issues with it for sure (the base mechanics) but as long as you go into it knowing what it is, you won't be surprised by weirdness. Basically the issue is that your base stats are only used to determine what weapons you can use and what skills you can learn as opposed to outright giving you damage/hp/magic damage/whatever.
No, the issue is that upgrades are so dumb. Your first ranged weapon (and presumably your only ranged weapon for about 10 hours or more) is a Cultivator Bow which stays relevant for far too long because the closest ranged weapon "upgrades" aren't just worse, but cost money and stats while the Cultivator Bow does not. It also doesn't help that all that matters is pure damage* so all you'll be doing for a very long time is just looking around for the weapon that has the most damage and requires the least points to use.

*Attack animations also matter a little with melee weapons, so you want to be using a mace in one handed weapons (best special attack) or axe in two handed weapons (best CC)

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I played up until Goliet, and some things that stand out right away.

Game looks very nice. The environment and art are pleasant to look at, as are the weapons and character armor (from what I've seen of it). The combat seems fun and fairly snappy on the first impression. What's really bothering me is the lack of a proper highlight key (unless I missed it). It's like I have to just randomly move my camera around to see if there is anything I can pick up or select. Also, the biggest thing is the framerate. Is there any way to fix this, as it's like the game is running on permanently shit 20 FPS. Any mods?

Other than that, there is just the typical Pirahnna Bytes jank it seems. Damn shame that utter shit games get so much funding when something like this which looks very promising right off the bat doesn't, which in turn hampers the polish and overall playing experience of the game.

Murk

Arcane
So I played up until Goliet, and some things that stand out right away.

Game looks very nice. The environment and art are pleasant to look at, as are the weapons and character armor (from what I've seen of it). The combat seems fun and fairly snappy on the first impression. What's really bothering me is the lack of a proper highlight key (unless I missed it). It's like I have to just randomly move my camera around to see if there is anything I can pick up or select. Also, the biggest thing is the framerate. Is there any way to fix this, as it's like the game is running on permanently shit 20 FPS. Any mods?

Other than that, there is just the typical Pirahnna Bytes jank it seems. Damn shame that utter shit games get so much funding when something like this which looks very promising right off the bat doesn't, which in turn hampers the polish and overall playing experience of the game.

The 'highlight' is actually an in-game feature. There's a headgear (glasses) that perma highlights items you can pick up. There's a few different types of glasses that do different things -- highlight machines, highlight organic things, and one that gives a skill that populates your minimap with enemy dots.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
There is a mod on nexus which alters/removes the fog effect, which results in a huge fps gain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom