Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Melee combat in PB games is really fun and I like the jank. I don't know what else you expect anyone to say about it. It's certainly way better than something like a Bethesda game. That's what makes ELEX good to me anyway. It certainly wasn't the factions. The factions were kind of shit in ELEX. It was obvious that the Clerics were the most OP, the Berserkers were merely decent, and the Outlaws were shit. I don't know why anyone would choose the Outlaws. Graphics weren't great but good enough. Dialogue was pretty decent.
Depends on what you are measuring the factions on. In terms of faction mechanics it's obvious that Clerics BTFO everything else, but I don't think that's so important. Having factions that offer varying degrees of power is fine. Faction aesthetic is another good reason, but it's also subjective. For me the biggest problem with Outlaws was that you could delete the entire faction right now and nothing would happen to the plot or setting. Clerics and Berserkers (and Albs but you can't join them) are more interesting and developed as cultures, but they are also highly relevant to the events that take place within the game. Outlaws not even part of the ecosystem if you think about it. They're are just merely there. There are many easy things PB could've done to put them even just on the Magalan map.
For example maybe Tavar was starting to run short on salvage, and because the Berserkers are known for having a pit where they dispose all their tech, this would become a source of envy for the Outlaws and they'd have a burning need to get it via any means possible. Same thing with the Clerics, really. Since the Clerics are constantly in conflict with the Albs there could be lots of mech and tech wreckage that the Clerics would have to compete against with the Outlaws as they try to pick the battlefields clean for their own greedy needs whereas the Clerics are desperate to get what they can just to keep up with their desperate struggle. As it is the Outlaws are just mean assholes who sit on their trash heap collecting profit (to what end, we're never told).

Jinn

Arcane
As it is the Outlaws are just mean assholes who sit on their trash heap collecting profit (to what end, we're never told).

I could be misremembering, as I haven't played since 2017, but weren't

the Outlaws sitting on a nuke that could destroy either of the other factions? I think they were planning on taking control of the entire region.

overly excitable young man

Nah the nuke turned out to be a cleric robot and the cleric guy that worked on it betrays the outlaws once the "nuke" should get transported to destroy the clerics base.
Then weird boss fight against robot.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
As it is the Outlaws are just mean assholes who sit on their trash heap collecting profit (to what end, we're never told).

I could be misremembering, as I haven't played since 2017, but weren't

the Outlaws sitting on a nuke that could destroy either of the other factions? I think they were planning on taking control of the entire region.

Not exactly. If it wasn't for Jax the nuke would've been used to blow up the Outlaws. Logan thought Conrad was working for him, but he was only using the Outlaws and their resources to aid the Clerics.

But ignoring that for one second, if we pretend that Logan would've gotten what he wanted and managed to blow up the Clerics, there was no reason given to the player why they'd want to do that in the first place. Beyond the Big Bang, they don't have any other ties to the main plot. While it's part of the main questline, it feels like a side plot and doesn't have any further bearing on the events that happen in ELEX. As I said, Outlaws could be deleted and you'd lose nothing from the plot or setting.

overly excitable young man

There was no nuke. It's a fucking combat robot that shoots lasers.
If he really wanted to destroy the outlaw base why not just leave it there and detonate it!?

Do i really have to remind you about tons of rusty shit and clubs in Gothic?

My point wasn't that Gothic didn't have any boring loot, but that Elex had way more of it because of bloated world. And the boring loot in Gothic wasn't guarded by strong enemies, like toilet paper would end up being guarded by trolls in Elex.

Then maybe you're special? Because i cleared monsters one by one. Especially in the beginning. Returned to camp, healed, returned to the area and those i killed were no more through the chapter.

I don't believe you. Randomly respawning monsters was one of first disappointing things I noticed about the game and it persisted throughout it. What you're saying can only be true if they changed it in a later patch, which I find very unlikely.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Reader

Scholar
Gothic didn't have any boring loot, but that Elex had way more of it because of bloated world.
And i can say that the Elex has a way more exciting loot because of bloated world. But i don't think that it is bloated, i think it's just right.
the boring loot in Gothic wasn't guarded by strong enemies, like toilet paper would end up being guarded by trolls in Elex.
In Gothic there could be simply no loot at all. Like what that lone fire lizard in the dead end near the old Xardas' tower guarded? It was just there to be killed because spoils. Why don't you consider the Troll's drops a reward itself?
I don't believe you.
Of course! I think at this point you wouldn't believe your grandma if she would tell you that the Elex is good. But you know what? I was gonna replay Elex anyway and i will post some screens later specifically for you either monsters respawn or not. It may take some time but i will. One thing i'm pretty sure - the game gives you enough time to clear the area at the very relaxed pace.

In Gothic there could be simply no loot at all. Like what that lone fire lizard in the dead end near the old Xardas' tower guarded? It was just there to be killed because spoils.

Oh that's another thing. Tough monsters in older PB games gave meaningful XP rewards. They give shit XP in Elex because of respawns that you want to pretend don't exist.

Reader

Scholar
Tough monsters in older PB games gave meaningful XP rewards. They give shit XP in Elex
First the formula for required exp to level up is exactly the same in Gothic and Elex. Here it is in case you're wondering
250 * (Current level + 1) * Current level
For a level 15 you need 60000 in both games.
Fire lizard in Gothic gives you 300exp
Troll in Elex gives you 200exp
Common enemies in Gothic's endgame give you 400-500 exp
Common enemies in elex give you 250-400
I wouldn't call Elex's exp rewards shit (as you want to pretend of course). Especially considering that there are simply more enemies without respawns.
respawns that you want to pretend don't exist.
1. I never said they don't exist completely, i said that even if there are some respawns they are not notable and don't harm your clearing of the map.
2. Just you wait.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
eGFE5cR.png

Reader

Scholar
respawns that you want to pretend don't exist
Alright, you were right and i'm not.
Not only respawns do exist but also can happen very fast. Or not. I didn't get how it works. The guy in the video rested for three days and got no respawns, then rested two and the enemies appeared. I probably didn't notice many respawns because of this random.

Murk

Arcane
They definitely do respawn, and not at a 1-to-1 of what was originally in the area.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Looks like some retarded nazi streamer "accidentally" confirmed ELEX 2.

He basically talks about that he is a certified translator and about how much the german localization for Disco Elysium would cost (~200k) which is an insane amount of money for an indie dev.

But then he keeps on going that he has some practical experience with Elex2. He immediately seems to realize that he might have accidentally spoiled it right there and pauses for a brief moment even addressing the potential spoiler.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom