Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Is there a way to deactivate the button prompts in Elex without deactivating the whole HUD ?
Yes you can, the option is called Action Hints (Tipps in german) in the gameplay options. This deactivates the button prompts from appearing.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I had forgotten how ridiculously addictive this game was. "Ok imma just rek the bandits at the mine and that's it for toda-oooooooooh what's over here" and before you know it you've spent another hour combing the damn countryside.

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
I had forgotten how ridiculously addictive this game was. "Ok imma just rek the bandits at the mine and that's it for toda-oooooooooh what's over here" and before you know it you've spent another hour combing the damn countryside.
.... And then, you fall back from heaven when you rediscover the combat system ,the excellent "Artificial Intelligence" that really can think for itself, the near-flawless animation and the wonderful hitboxes.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
U playing with the overhaul mod?

BruceVC

Magister
This is one of the main reasons I love the sandbox and open world design of these types of games and specifically PB games

Their are so many interesting and hidden things to discover outside the main quests it genuinely makes exploration rewarding

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
And then, you fall back from heaven when you rediscover the combat system ,the excellent "Artificial Intelligence" that really can think for itself, the near-flawless animation and the wonderful hitboxes.

not a single one of these things is a problem

nah

BruceVC

Magister
And then, you fall back from heaven when you rediscover the combat system ,the excellent "Artificial Intelligence" that really can think for itself, the near-flawless animation and the wonderful hitboxes.

not a single one of these things is a problem

nah

I like the PB AI and how it is implemented in ELEX

I remember when I was low level, maybe 5, I made a slugbeast chase me back to the Berserker camp by constantly feeding its aggro with ranged attacks. A few foolish low level NPC tried to attack it on the way back and were horribly slaughtered , which was hilarious seeing them commit combat suicide, but when the slugbeast got into the Berserker camp it was killed by the main Berserkers and I was able to get its loot by going back to where I first met it

Great fun exploiting the AI :salute:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Men, I've run into a weirdo issue in this playthrough that I don't remember having before. It's raining all the time. And I mean all the damn time, with weather windows of maybe 2 minutes tops between the downpours. Has anyone else had anything like this?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Ebcvh8F.png

Jinn

Arcane
Men, I've run into a weirdo issue in this playthrough that I don't remember having before. It's raining all the time. And I mean all the damn time, with weather windows of maybe 2 minutes tops between the downpours. Has anyone else had anything like this?

I've had unusually frequent rain before, but never anything like this. I have noticed that my weather patterns have changed when I've teleported long distances though, so maybe do a Dome to Hort and have a long sleep to see if helps restart things.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Whack the weatherman.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I think something got thoroughly screwed with the weather system in my game, because while the endless rain finally stopped, now day refuses to turn into night.

Anyway, now that I'm playing this again, I don't get how someone who otherwise enjoys these kinds of rpgs wouldn't like ELEX. I mean it, I simply don't. This game is just so ridiculously fun, and everything about it feels satisfying, even if the XP rewards for monsters are completely bonkers and most places you stumble upon give you 5 zigarettes and a roll of toilet paper.

I particularly appreciate the character development. Once you finally get the stranf and dex to use the energy-damage sword you find in that one basement in Edan, oh how the tables suddenly get turned.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Can you finish the game without joining a faction ? So far I've managed pretty well on my own but it seems that I'm reaching the end of the line regarding faction-free progress.

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
Can you finish the game without joining a faction ? So far I've managed pretty well on my own but it seems that I'm reaching the end of the line regarding faction-free progress.
It will be possible in Elex 2, it is not possible in the first game. In some ways it makes sense since Jax lost nearly everything. Therefore, you need allies (and equipment as mentioned in the quest log).

Question aside: Is there a mod that fixes the wacky animation? It makes me crazy whenever I play this game.

Last edited:

Arryosha

Learned
Anyway, now that I'm playing this again, I don't get how someone who otherwise enjoys these kinds of rpgs wouldn't like ELEX. I mean it, I simply don't. This game is just so ridiculously fun

This.

I can't believe I almost passed on this game because of mixed reviews, despite it being my type of game. I just finished my first playthrough, and at 60 hours, I'm bummed its over. Exploration is so much fun, despite all the cigarettes. But the game has a lot more to offer than just exploration. I'd say push past the first few hours, if you're skeptical, as things take a while to come together.

How is the replay value? For some reason, I have a hard time getting into replaying PB games. But I'm also sure there is plenty of stuff I missed on my first playthrough.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Id say its got good replay value as its an RPG.
And agreed with you about reviews. Ive played so many games rated in the mediocre range and found them to be very fun and some have become favorites.

Mitleser2020

Scholar
I think something got thoroughly screwed with the weather system in my game, because while the endless rain finally stopped, now day refuses to turn into night.

Should have used this.
Mod that brings back the older weather system (Nights are darker, HDR is working on interiors). Also, there is no more eternal rain in the hort and ignadon. Hopefully I also managed to fix the bug where it is raining at the start of the game.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I'm glad I gave Elex a try. It is overall a good rpg. It's graphically very pleasing and also ran very smooth. I didn't have any problems with bugs which is quite a feat for a open world game of that size. All quest triggers seemed to work properly despite my chaotic way of doing things. I was skeptical about the size of the world and do generally not favor open worlds but in the case of Elex it is actually its strongest point. The world design is excellent. The exploration is one the best parts of the game, although it is littered with crap to pick up. The jet pack worked extremely well and is fun to use. The teleporters on the other hand are a somewhat double edged sword. They are convenient and required to some degree given the size of the game but at the same time it causes extremely gamey behavior at later stages of the game where you can hop from teleporter to teleporter just to get to your quest/reward locations once you have discovered them all. The side quests and companions were pretty good and make up most of the game. I finished after 46 hours at lvl 43.

But the character progression is quite messed up and I hope they improve that in Elex 2. For the first 25 hours I pretty much avoided most combat except vs the weakest enemies. I've simply done dine and dash and explored everything. I already found the Redeemer at 15 hours or so. At 25 hours I started using Elex potions to pump my attributes up to be able to use the Redeemer and then all combat was trivial. Literally all combat. There was not a single fight that was challenging, jumping from zero to hero. Further character progression felt pretty pointless after that, at the end of the game I still had 150 unspent attribute points and 10 learning points, not counting the additional points that my Elex storage could provide.

I also had done all quests that were doable without joining a faction at that point and thought I could finish the game without joining, turns out you can't. And this is the second glaring weak point, the main quest line. The whole albs story doesn't work and there is a huge dissonance between the gameplay and the story/writing tidbits. The worst parts are the monologues of Jax. The build up of the albs as threat does absolutely not work and the same goes for Jax revenge story. At no point in the game give the albs an impression of being all that powerful or rational. They behave like retards and get their asses handed to them all the time. The Elexetors were a joke. PB really should stay away from "epic" large scale stories and focus on their small personal quests that involve a handful of people. The factions were also very also strange. I had done quests for all factions and all offered me to join. I went with the Outlaws since they seemed the least ambivalent, most straightforward faction. But for whatever reasons, after taking the middle road decision at the end, they decided to go full retard and attack me, the guy that was powerful enough to single handedly stop the alb threat, ultimately causing their own demise. They even helped in the final attack on the alb compound, which makes me wonder which choice they would have favored. Giving the hybrid a nice big Mana suppository was apparently the wrong one.

Elex 2 could be great if they manage again the excellent world design and side quests. Fixing the main quest and improving the progression would be perfect.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I also had done all quests that were doable without joining a faction at that point and thought I could finish the game without joining, turns out you can't.
I left joining a faction until quite late (maybe 2/3rds of the game) and was thinking it might be possible to go the entire game without doing so. Interesting to know this is not the case, but since the skills options and missions are more interesting when joining a faction and you don't get locked out of any significant content, there isn't any real downside apart from being railroaded into it.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I also had done all quests that were doable without joining a faction at that point and thought I could finish the game without joining, turns out you can't.
I left joining a faction until quite late (maybe 2/3rds of the game) and was thinking it might be possible to go the entire game without doing so. Interesting to know this is not the case, but since the skills options and missions are more interesting when joining a faction and you don't get locked out of any significant content, there isn't any real downside apart from being railroaded into it.
On hindsight I would recommend joining a faction rather early. There are level limits to obtain the next rank in a faction (no requirement for first rank, 15 for second rank, 25 for final rank), and I had a higher level than the highest rank required when I first joined. The Outlaws have a bunch of skills that are only relevant if you use Outlaw weapons. These skills were completely pointless in my playthrough since I skipped all mid-game weapons and the skills don't apply to the Redeemer. Only the stim skills were useful. From the lvl requirements I would assume that joining around lvl 10 is intended. I had fun without doing so and the game is perfectly payable that way but joining at lower levels probably leads to a more natural progression. But I have no idea how joining changes the interaction with other factions, if you get locked out of some quests.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I think you only get locked out of the final faction quests, but haven't played through with other factions to verify. I seemed to be able to ingratiate myself with practically all of the factions to the point where I could have joined if I chose to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom