Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite Dangerous devs making a Warhammer Age of Sigmar RTS

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://otp.tools.investis.com/clie...regulatory-story.aspx?cid=1725&newsid=1388951

Frontier signs an IP Licence with Games Workshop Group PLC and provides an update on trading

· IP rights licenced from Games Workshop to develop and publish a real-time strategy game worldwide on PC, console and streaming platforms for release in FY23
· Game based within the globally popular world of Warhammer® Age of Sigmar®
· Two major releases from internal development teams are now confirmed for each of FY22 and FY23
· Lockdown-related demand for games is having a positive impact on sales globally
· Home working for all staff has been in place for over a month

Warhammer Licence

Frontier Developments plc (AIM: FDEV, "Frontier", the "Company"), a leading developer and publisher of videogames based in Cambridge, announces an exclusive IP licence (the "Licence") with Games Workshop to develop and publish a real-time strategy game within the rich and extensive world of Warhammer Age of Sigmar.

Warhammer Age of Sigmar is Games Workshop's most recent iteration of the globally renowned fantasy setting in which the four Grand Alliances of Order, Chaos, Death and Destruction vie for control of the Mortal Realms. Unique and distinct in style, and endless in scope, this ever growing universe sits alongside the far future dystopia of Warhammer 40,000 as the most successful tabletop miniatures games in the world.

Under the terms of the Licence, Frontier has the exclusive rights to develop and publish a real-time strategy game worldwide on PC and console platforms, together with the rights for streaming services. The game is planned for release in Frontier's financial year ending 31 May 2023 ("FY23").

Release Roadmap

Frontier's development roadmap is now stronger than ever, with two major releases from internal development teams now confirmed for each of FY22 and FY23. FY22 will benefit from the multi-platform release of a game based on an as-yet unrevealed major global IP and the release of Frontier's first Formula 1 multi-platform management game alongside the 2022 F1 season. FY23 will see the release of the 2023 Formula 1 management game and the Warhammer Age of Sigmar multi-platform real-time strategy game.

For the financial year ending 31 May 2021 ("FY21") two internally developed major releases are also planned: Planet Coaster expanding onto PlayStation and Xbox, and a major new paid-for release for Elite Dangerous.

FY21 and beyond will also benefit from releases from Frontier's third party publishing initiative. Two games have been signed for release in FY21, with a further three already signed for FY22 and scope for more. Five or six third party game releases per year are expected from FY23 onwards.

David Braben, Frontier's Chief Executive, said:

"We are delighted to announce this licence with Games Workshop. I personally think it's great news that two such well-established and world-class creative UK companies with global reach are collaborating on a new project. We look forward to working closely with the team at Games Workshop to bring the rich world of Warhammer Age of Sigmar to a wide audience through an immersive and accessible real-time strategy game on both PC and console.

Our roadmap is looking stronger than ever, with two games from our internal developments for each of FY22 and FY23 and an exciting portfolio coming up from our third party publishing initiative, starting in FY21.

I am incredibly proud of the positive reaction of our staff to the challenges of Covid-19 and would like to thank them all for their dedication. We were delighted to release Elite Dangerous: Fleet Carriers Beta and Planet Zoo: South America Pack before the Easter weekend as planned."

Jon Gillard, Global Head of Licensing at Games Workshop, said:

"As Warhammer becomes an ever larger brand and our legions of fans around the world look for exciting ways to experience the splendour of our settings, we are always looking for the highest quality partners to work with. Frontier is just such a company, with an incredible heritage, and an innovative and highly polished development capability clearly demonstrated by their compelling vision for this game. This will be the first RTS set in the epic fantasy world of the Age of Sigmar, which is the kind of game that Warhammer and strategy fans have been clamouring for. We know that the team at Frontier are the perfect people to take on that great responsibility and do it justice."

Hellraiser

Arcane
on PC and console platforms... :hahano:
Has there been one RTS targeted for multi platform that was actually any good?

C&C3: Tiberium Wars, technically came out about 6 weeks months later on xbawks. Didn't seem like it had any obvious signs of consoltardation, that game IMO only had the continuity issues and cheese overdose in FMVs but was pretty solid otherwise.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
So it'll take years to come out, then a couple of years to be patched into something resembling a game and yet still end up having no content or gameplay to speak of.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So it'll take years to come out, then a couple of years to be patched into something resembling a game and yet still end up having no content or gameplay to speak of.
Yes, because they didn't create Planet Zoo, Planet Coaster and Jurassic World Evolution, which were pretty good tycoon games with lots of gameplay.

A horse of course

I don't know if it was actually good or I just had shit taste at the time, but the second LotR RTS by EA was pretty fun and was also released on Xbox

Yeah BfME2 is great. Fun, fast-paced, hits all the right notes with the Good and Evil campaigns, and extremely high production values. Strip out all the LOTR stuff and it would be very average, though.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Yes, because they didn't create Planet Zoo, Planet Coaster and Jurassic World Evolution, which were pretty good tycoon games with lots of gameplay.

I can't speak for the Planet games but JPE is abysmal apart from the Dino animation. There's no tycoon game play in it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I can't speak for the Planet games but JPE is abysmal apart from the Dino animation. There's no tycoon game play in it.
I agree that that is the weakest, but believe me, the Planet games are much better. In the end I'm just saying that just because their Elite game is ...questionable in design, they can do good, gameplay heavy games.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Morbidly interested to see how they go about taking all the fun out of a Warhammer RTS. Though I guess being AoS instead of WHFB gives them some help.

I think Supreme Commander was technically released on consoles though I have no idea how in the hell it would actually run on them.

Citizen

What is the difference between age of sigmar and the warhammer fantasy? I thought it was basically the same thing: zoomer edition?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I got into Warhammer post-Fantasy Battles so I was familiar with AOS first before FB. I've never played FB but I do like its lore and aesthetics far, far more than AOS—I'm almost done with William King's Felix & Gotrek series which are really good reads. In fact, I've never really been interested in AOS although when Warcry came out, I really had a blast with that (it lives up to the hype IMO).

What I'm trying to say is, IDGAF about this AOS game, but a Warcry adaptation or style of game would be pretty sweet.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
What is the difference between age of sigmar and the warhammer fantasy? I thought it was basically the same thing: zoomer edition?
Smaller scale, no formations, gay-ass nonsense lore, everything is designed to be copyright friendly.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Age of Sigmar is Warhammer 40k: Fantasy Edition, complete with SIGMARINES, while Warhammer Fantasy is Warhammer Fantasy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom