Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite Dangerous - Yay or Nay?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That is only true if all ships have the same range, but if they have very different ranges, and you need your picket/point defense ships to be between the enemy and your core ships, then positioning becomes very important.
Positioning something between two points is still more or less a 1D line, so that hasn't changed.
Indeed, but 2D and 3D allow you to prevent your opponent from doing so:
It is about flanking your opponent so that he cannot intercept everything at once.
Granted, the lack of stealth doesn't help, but you can still use decoys in space (unarmed ships that have a lot of emission).

In Starshatter, larger ships also had a nerly impenetrable directional shield that would cover roughly 50% of the directions. I think it was similair in Edge of Chaos.
These also make positioning matter as you cannot afford to have everyone attack from the same direction
And see, this basically concedes my point: BECAUSE 3D combat in space tends to reduce into a 1D line, they've added dogfight simulator mechanics that depart from a pure space simulation to try to disrupt this. Typical hallmarks of this include short engagement ranges and magic mechanics.

Indeed, most space games use space magic and/or dogfighting, but if it were pure space simumlations, ships would be orbiting stuff (stars or planets), and only use their precious fuel to engage evasive action/change orbit, and send ordnance from afar.
It is true that in this case, 3D would not be very important, but the distance would be mainly set by the relative positions on each orbit, so the 2D would still be important. There would be a relatively minor benefit of 3D: using an orbiting plane orthogonal to that of your opponent would make the range between you and your opponent change less.
But space shooters and strategy games are usually very far removed from what we could call a "realistic" space combat model (except for Children of a dead earth).

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Indeed, most space games use space magic and/or dogfighting, but if it were pure space simumlations, ships would be orbiting stuff (stars or planets), and only use their precious fuel to engage evasive action/change orbit, and send ordnance from afar.
What if it's set in a Universe where we've mastered some magical nuclear fuel or whatever that is super light weight and can power ships for a while? Also, what if the fight is taking place from somewhere far away from a large gravitational force?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
What if it's set in a Universe where we've mastered some magical nuclear fuel or whatever that is super light weight and can power ships for a while? Also, what if the fight is taking place from somewhere far away from a large gravitational force?
I was speaking about technology that would be a bit more advanced than what we have now. It is pretty hard to imagine warfare with technology very different from our own.
A critical "magic device" would be a way to neutralize acceleration to avoid turning space pilots into pulp.

Weapons in space would still have a very long range, and dodging them would require starting evasive maneuvers before you know they open fire, ie random evasive action, which means it would probably make more sense to feed the desired arrival position in a computer, and have him randomly thrust sideway for evasive action.

Evasive action would be a compromise between changing direction often, and thrusting long enough in a given direction to move the whole ship out of its predicted "hitbox".
That may make scatter weapons useful in space actually (but they already usually are in our space dogfighting games).

Getting closer would give less time for the target to adjust position (ie reduce the dodge chance), even more so if using kinetic weapons, so I don't think it would make the ranges at which we usually play space dogfighting feasible (if the range gets shorter, the target doesn't have enough time for evasive action to push it out of harm's way.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
I was speaking about technology that would be a bit more advanced than what we have now. It is pretty hard to imagine warfare with technology very different from our own.
Ah, fair enough. I just assumed we were talking about any kind of Space technology or universe. Didn't help that I didn't bother to scroll up and read the other shit.
Weapons in space would still have a very long range, and dodging them would require starting evasive maneuvers before you know they open fire, ie random evasive action, which means it would probably make more sense to feed the desired arrival position in a computer, and have him randomly thrust sideway for evasive action.
Fair enough, my main point was honestly just regarding the planet's being locked into orbit around large planetary bodies. No arguments from me here.
Getting closer would give less time for the target to adjust position (ie reduce the dodge chance), even more so if using kinetic weapons, so I don't think it would make the ranges at which we usually play space dogfighting feasible (if the range gets shorter, the target doesn't have enough time for evasive action to push it out of harm's way.
Well, dog-fighting as we know it doesn't happen anymore with the technology that we have now, so I can hardly imagine it happening in space. In reality, it's far more likely that Space Combat would play like a slower, less cool version of naval warfare.

DraQ

Arcane
I remember using the z plane a lot to get some ships in flanking position in Starshatter. But the game needs engagement ranges to be high enough that ships cannot instantly correct their position. But it is not the case in most dogfighting simulator, and even in games that try to give you a fleet to work with (StarPoint Gemini Warlords for instance).
I actually find that longer engagement ranges exacerbates this. At sufficiently short engagement ranges and high-delta-V, the game turns into a dogfight simulator and the 3D matters. At very long ranges and low relative delta-V, it turns into a 1D joust. At VERY long engagement ranges relative delta-V, it turns into a 0D dot shooter: You no longer have the ability to meaningfully affect any real change in your position relative to the duration of combat and you pew away with whatever weapons you have on you until one or both combatants are neutralized.
At very long range you can still dodge and even do so quite anemically (conserving delta-v) because time to taget will be long.

At relatively close orbital flyby you definitely get 3D environment even with low delta-v and acceleration, because you will have two ships/fleets leading each other and weapon fire incoming asymmetrically because of that.
Something like this:
F28CCCDE6A8FD32A5059ADB7AF73E901778801ED

The direction towards the enemy will be different than the remaining direction along the encounter plane and different than direction perpendicular to the encounter plane.
Deep space/flatspace battles are unlikely to be a thing - at best you will have a split second missile driveby going plaid, actual battles will be in gravwells.

Have you played COADE?
And then you can have multiple combatants.
Multiple combatants are never really going to be a thing outside of a rigged scenario, though. With stealth in space being impossible, you will see your opponents coming from well before the combat begins. If you have two forces approaching you from different directions, and you move to engage one of them, the other force will simply not reach the scene of the action until the battle is likely over. Otherwise, they weren't going to reach the original scene of action before it was over. If you have two forces approaching you from the SAME direction, speed, and distance, this is just one big force. So the only way to find yourself fighting two different forces at the same time such that there is not simply a line between the two of you that you're fighting around is if the scenario is somehow rigged to spawn these two forces close enough to engage you simultaneously from two directions. But, well, no stealth in space, so how did they get there?
If you have delta-v to try and engage one of the flanking fleets sooner, flanking fleets are likely to have delta-v to prevent that.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Have you played COADE?
I haven't got the time to dive into CoaDE yet, but it is the next one I will play.
On a sidenote, when I was thinking about what game to make, I had two competing ideas I wanted to do:
A mix of strategy and RPG that would become Zodiac Legion, and a "realistic" space 4X with futuristic technologies that would not seem out of reach to us, so basically a "open ended" CoaDE (probably set in a single solar system).
I ended up going for the former, because realistic space battles seemed very hard to do well in a turn based format, and I really wanted to go with TB, so I really need to dive into CoaDE (and thank them for more or less doing the game in my place!).

Regarding stealth in space, it might but be possible indeed, but what about decoys?

If you can send sufficient decoys, it might be hard for the opponent to position himself correctly.
Decoys would need a similar level of emission (than the show they emulate), but that might be doable for a fraction of the cost, especially for the defender who could hide real ships among various orbital debris.

Last edited:

Norfleet

Have you played COADE?
Not yet. Have they finished it yet?

If you have delta-v to try and engage one of the flanking fleets sooner, flanking fleets are likely to have delta-v to prevent that.
They can only avoid action by either running away from you and thus separating even further, or moving together into a single unit. I've played this kind of scenario in other systems before. Forces that start separated tend to end up converging if you attempt to engage them separately and they try to avoid being engaged separately.

DraQ

Arcane
Have you played COADE?
Not yet. Have they finished it yet?
It's been released good several years ago.
They can only avoid action by either running away from you and thus separating even further, or moving together into a single unit. I've played this kind of scenario in other systems before. Forces that start separated tend to end up converging if you attempt to engage them separately and they try to avoid being engaged separately.
Actually it's very simple:
You burn to accelerate intercept of one of the fleets and/or delay the other so one of the fleets burns to accelerate intercept and the other to delay it to compensate.

Norfleet

At relatively close orbital flyby you definitely get 3D environment even with low delta-v and acceleration, because you will have two ships/fleets leading each other and weapon fire incoming asymmetrically because of that.
Something like this:
Yes, that path looks complex when seen from an outside perspective, but what happens when you normalize it using one of the combatants as the frame of reference, instead of an outside point that has no meaning?

DraQ

Arcane
Something like this:
Yes, that path looks complex when seen from an outside perspective, but what happens when you normalize it using one of the combatants as the frame of reference, instead of an outside point that has no meaning?
That's in combatants' frame of reference.

And it's just 1-on-1.

Norfleet

That can't be in the combatant's frame of reference, because there are two tracks and you said there were only two combatants, 1-on-1. If the image were taken from the frame of reference of a single combatant, there'd be only one track.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
So the big January Patch that supposedly had a beta beforehand still managed to introduce new bugs. While adding literally nothing worth mentioning. :hahano:

DraQ

Arcane
That can't be in the combatant's frame of reference, because there are two tracks and you said there were only two combatants, 1-on-1. If the image were taken from the frame of reference of a single combatant, there'd be only one track.
How so? Combat typically involves both sides shooting.
...so you have two *sets* of tracks, incoming and outgoing, appearing to curve in the opposite directions (because of ships' relative motion, acceleration and guns leading), each composed of possibly multiple individual tracks depending on the composition of batteries firing in regards to muzzle velocity aiming to impact the target from range of possible angles.

And that's for just two ships firing kinetics at each other in CQB.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
With upkeep costs, that force you to log in regularly or you lose your carrier, I see absolutely no point in having one.

The only value of a carrier I could see is as a base for deep space exploration. But since you cannot earn any credits while being far away from the bubble, again the upkeep costs totally nullify that value.

And is there any new gameplay involved with the carriers? I mean new misson types or ability to attack or sabotage other commanders carriers? Apparently not. Just more grind.

Edit:
And with that jump limit of 500ly every 2 h it will only take you approx 80 hours to get that thing to Colonia lol.

Last edited:

Fishy

Savant
Who gives a shit

The 1% of the players who:
- still play the game
- have mindlessly grinded >5b credits over the years
- plan on mindlessly grinding some more to pay the weekly upkeep
- want to show off with a mobile base with less functionality and worse prices than the 9843242e14 stations around

But the other 99% can still enjoy those carriers by landing and paying a premium to earn less money than anywhere else by selling their goods with additional tariffs.

The beauty of it is the amount of money Frontier must have spent to get this whole feature developed, and how many paint job microtransactions they'll need to break even, but won't sell because they made sure most players won't get a carrier in the first place. But then, that's the same people who decided that arena pvp (CQC) and celebrity-driven group grind minigame (Powerplay) were critical features to tack on to the game asap, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I would care about that kind of thing if it was single player and I could run the carrier myself like Captain Piccard or whatever. But the multiplayer aspect is a huge turn off. Not that I even own this game because it looks retarded and grindy. I am planning to get X4 though soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom