Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The only way to get the 100 million credit ships before gold rushes was to pretty much wait for the devs to introduce some sort of money exploit lul

For years it was literally wait from one money exploit to the next before cashing in mad bucks so you could get the ships.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
No it wasn't, you could easily just run some missions and get the credits. Without board flipping.

You are all just entitled babies.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I just noticed the "use max jump range" option on the nav menu.

100 jumps in that last mission I was whining about would have been about 30.

:deathclaw::deathclaw::deathclaw:

No it wasn't, you could easily just run some missions and get the credits. Without board flipping.

You are all just entitled babies.
It'd take at least around 30 or so hours based on the missions I've seen. Assuming about 3 million per hour. And that's with my middle-low-end Dolphin. I would hope better ships could do it faster.

I would hope better ships could do it faster.
That was often not the case in Elite Dangerous. No idea the current balance since I haven't played regularly in a long time, but in the past getting nicer ships didn't dramatically increase how much money you'd make. If you were bounty hunting it could improve things a bit (Faster killing, more sustained killing before you need to rearm/repair, etc) and obviously it mattered somewhat for trading (Affording a fatass ship allowing you to haul more cargo, but that's only for regular bulk trading. There's also trading unique commodities and mission board trading of course). Exploration was pretty piss poor for cash and even then you'd reach roughly the best ship and loadout for it relatively early. You could also do semi-tolerable cheap exploration with a fucking hauler (Which I did, it was fun. Hauler might be my favorite small ship, I just find the cockpit relaxing).

All that's pretty out of date though. Obviously mining is shit hot right now and I hear exploration is actually solid money. Buddy of mine says combat's probably the least profitable thing now, amazingly. Used to be bounty hunting in a res was the most efficient non-exploit cash grinder. I also haven't mentioned passenger shit at all since I have yet to try it, at some point I'll have to buy and fit a beluga and see what that's like.

Exploration was pretty piss poor for cash and even then you'd reach roughly the best ship and loadout for it relatively early. You could also do semi-tolerable cheap exploration with a fucking hauler (Which I did, it was fun. Hauler might be my favorite small ship, I just find the cockpit relaxing).
Now they have exploration missions that...are insane and have you jump 20,000+ ly and back.

Granted, you get around a 20,000,000+ reward for your trouble and you can sell any system scan data you gather for quite a bit, but even with my Dolphin's 20ly jump range, that's 2,000 jumps - which will drive you nuts pretty quick.

My point better ships possibly doing it faster relates to the jump range. If there's some larger ship I haven't seen with around a 100 ly jump range, maybe this could be bearable, but otherwise, you are better off doing something more interesting with your autism, like playing with a train set or constructing knifes out of random household items.

Now MAYBE you could try grabbing a few other missions along the way, but I have a feeling that you'd end up running into some BS time limit or something.

I really wish they'd let us have multiple pilots or something so that we could switch between shooting things and passenger missions easier without messing up these longterm travel missions.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I installed ED to see what the exploration stuff was about and I must admit it's certainly more engaging and less tedious than the old system. Would love to have a few more stats about celestial bodies though, like the mean temperature. I'm on my way out of the bubble hoping to find some unexplored systems so I dunno how good the payout is yet.
e: Apparently there is a temperature measurement and such but not for all types of objects?

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
So I went halfway out towards the Omega Nebula in a mediocre Diamondback Explorer, scanning stuff along the way that seemed neat. Back in good old Ray Gateway this netted me about 32 Mil. Which is alright.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
For those interested in easy money, I haven't played Elite in almost a year but I'm pretty sure the old {Robigo mines ---> Sirius atmospherics} passanger line still pays 120+ millions per hour, all you need is a Python with full cabins (and a shield, maybe). The whole trip is 60 LY + 60 LY to get back to Robigo, if you can engineer your FSD to at least 30 LY (downgrade to a lighter Power plant, 3A is fine but you can engineer an overcharged 2A which is lighter) you will be able to do the whole trip in 2 jumps. This is what I used back then:

Python

You can easily find VIP/Criminal passengers that pay you 4-5 millions for what is essentially a 5 minutes trip, a Python can load up on cabins and rack up to 22 millions on a full trip but you can esily start this with a cheaper ship (Keelback or Type #) and upgrade to a Python later. Since the whole Robigo-Ceos-Sothis area is quite far away from the bubble, I suggest to those that have at least some million to spare to also buy a cheap Diamondback Explorer and use it to travel from Robigo to the Bubble and back, store your passenger ship in Robigo system, use DBX to go back and forth when you need moar money. Once enginereed that thing can esily jumo 55+ LY.

Last edited:

Zibniyat

Arcane
So I bought the game some 10 days ago (just the basic version), and play it for an hour or two daily at the most xD It's kinda frightening to me, there's just so much information everywhere, I'm not used to it.

My Gameplay Time Tracker says I've played it for 7 h and 50 min, and landing my Sidewinder to a pad is still an adventure xD As well as exiting some stations, it was really awkward missing the exit one time and hitting the wall, and since I knew there were real people possibly watching I more or less just quickly escaped the whole thing and jumped with FSD to escape my shame.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
So I bought the game some 10 days ago (just the basic version), and play it for an hour or two daily at the most xD It's kinda frightening to me, there's just so much information everywhere, I'm not used to it.

My Gameplay Time Tracker says I've played it for 7 h and 50 min, and landing my Sidewinder to a pad is still an adventure xD As well as exiting some stations, it was really awkward missing the exit one time and hitting the wall, and since I knew there were real people possibly watching I more or less just quickly escaped the whole thing and jumped with FSD to escape my shame.

Keep at it, you'll do point landings on space stations in no time. Enjoy the honeymoon phase.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Okay, if I'm in the mood for space sims, why would I play this rather than X3/X4?

Zibniyat

Arcane
Also music and sound design in general, I think it's great so far. Love the soundtrack especially. That first jump to another system, and exiting the "hyperspace" only to face the star - beautiful.

Of course don't get too close to a star obviously, despite what some of us do xD

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
So I first tried the "combat demo" available on the internet to try how the ship handles and if my laptop could run it. It runs smoothly on medium setting, and I like the ship's handling. But I'm not really sure about actually buying the full game, maybe on another sale. But put it on my wishlist.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Isn't the combat demo a build from 20 years ago?
No. It's an Arena mode which it just a space ship dogfight mode ripped right out from actual game. I find it pretty meh, but it is a good indication on how the game looks and feels in combat.

Razor

Arcane
Okay, if I'm in the mood for space sims, why would I play this rather than X3/X4?

In my experience: ED leaves a strong impression when you first try it. Specially when you start with VR. Around the time you get to mid game -comparable to getting into a mid tier ship with normal progression (aka no gold rush sheeping)- thats when the cracks start to show. Once end game, well that is when its time to uninstall for a lot of players.

Right now for me ED is a filler game: something you start up when you actually want to watch some stuff on netflix/youtube on your second monitor but dont want to just sit on your ass the entire time watching. Deep space prospector gameplay lends itself well to this kind of fiddling, yes even after the beyond update it very quick and easy to spot when there are actually valuable objects in the system on the spectrometer-thingy. Coupled with tools like EDDiscovery and you have a quick info loop if there are secondary valuable objects in the system, primarily terraformable high metal content planets.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It works wonderfully with a second monitor so you can watch stuff while doing some relaxing mining or exploration.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Okay so after my second real exploration stint in a fully kitted Asp Explorer... I made enough $$$ to buy a 'Conda. Granted, a 'Conda hull, not a fully fitted one, but still. :shredder:
I also got Felicity Farseer from 0 to 5 by selling ONE PAGE.

Astral Rag

Arcane
bwcrx52elite4-kb9i9d.jpg

I'm starting to get the hang of this. Feels good men.

DDZ

Patron
I played with my cheap HOTAS last year and quite like it.

But I just can't get myself to not play from my couch with my xbox controller. I am just old and tired.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

But I just can't get myself to not play from my couch with my xbox controller. I am just old and tired.
How does it translate to a controller compared to a hotas?

DDZ

Patron

How does it translate to a controller compared to a hotas?

Pretty good, I started playing with a controller back in beta, and it worked perfectly for almost everything. Except combat, I just couldn't be precise enough to use anything but gimballed weapons and turrets. Switching to hotas gave me much more precision and overall control.

But since I mostly explore and do non combat missions, I don't feel the need to sit behind my desk and play that way.

Deleted Member 16721

I have it for VR but haven't delved in too deeply yet. Logitech XR 52 Pro HOTAS. It seems great, though, very immersive, and I've just done the tutorial missions. Combat seems difficult but I have to get more used to the controls. I'd like to do mostly non-combat missions anyway, if that's possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom