Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

Beowulf

Arcane
You must know me very well. Oh wait, we never met, you just read a few forum posts from me on a stupid gaming forum. [...]

[...]you just read a few forum posts from me on a stupid gaming forum about stupid games (as we all know that all games are stupid and designed for fat no-lifers).[...]
FTFY

praetor

Arcane
indeed. the flight model is by far the best thing about it and a huge improvement over all the originals (pointless "i want to be a satellite" idiocy from the usual suspects not withstanding. the originals weren't really realistic, either. they had more realism, but of the boring kind. I-War, they were not. by a long, looong shot. that said, it could be a couple orders of magnitude better if they: a) removed the auto-deceleration, at least with FA-off. that's just stupid. b) introduced a "global" speed cap instead of per-ship, c) balanced ships around acceleration times and not arbitrary top speed). but they somehow managed to fuck up all the other game mechanics and somehow managed to make them even more boring and grindier than the originals (which have aged pretty baldy, tbh)

DraQ

Arcane
I guess I could say that you are retarded because you waste hundreds of hours of your time on a game you find shitty.
Can't speak for Burning Bridges but I am not wasting my time on the game I find shitty, I am spending it in a very deliberate manner on individuals I find highly entertaining.
the originals weren't really realistic, either. they had more realism, but of the boring kind.
You could probably say the same about Fallouts (or Daggerfall).
:troll:

that said, it could be a couple orders of magnitude better if they: a) removed the auto-deceleration, at least with FA-off. that's just stupid. b) introduced a "global" speed cap instead of per-ship, c) balanced ships around acceleration times and not arbitrary top speed).
That's already about half-way towards the light, I'd say.
:martini:

Anyway, the main value in originals is that they were first games striving for this kind of gameplay without sacrificing scale or physics in a very half assed manner. They could be easily made obsolete if anyone wanted to go in that direction.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
So I got that Thrustmaster 16000M TCS HOTAS and it makes starting this game fun. One problem I found was that I took a mission, went to the system to shoot stuff, and the place in the system they told me to go to isn't on my system map.

Probably just stoned and retarded, but this could be a bit of time sink once a figure it out.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

picked this up off steam for $12. :M

ffs, why is thread this not in space games? i don't even.

So, ideas on making money quickly? I've worked out that you can rake in a killing in a short amount of time by killing wanted ships in areas like high resource extraction zones (though you need to be careful not to die, just lost 30 minutes worth of bounties).

Thoughts on making the big bucks quickly for a newbie?

Thane Solus

Arcane
picked this up off steam for $12. :M

ffs, why is thread this not in space games? i don't even.

So, ideas on making money quickly? I've worked out that you can rake in a killing in a short amount of time by killing wanted ships in areas like high resource extraction zones (though you need to be careful not to die, just lost 30 minutes worth of bounties).

Cause i am wasted ok, you fucking racist, white supremacist!

Tips for quick bucks:

1) Crystal hunting (good mechanic, i praise the developer for that)

Go to the first asteroid field, press shift+2 scanning mode i think, and watch ze asteroids, if the normies dont rape you, you will see blips, go to those blips, find the crystals: they are 4-5 types, shoot them, collect them, you can make 3-5 (based on luck), and i am to lazy to tell you how the behavioir of each works, just watch the timing.

2) Nvidium mining - nvidum has no place, just a cheesy way to star, there at aleast 5 statitions on the map that buy it randomly at the start (probalby 4, cant be bothered to look now), sell those for 250k each, 200k

3) Missions combined with all above.

Arnust

Savant
Yeah taking about as many missions for trips you're doing anyway really piles up. If you're hauling you can easily pair them up with courier missions.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

An alternative is just take it slow and enjoy the game for what it is. Sure you can jump on the latest "get rich quick" scheme and fast track into a big ship but whats the point? There is no end game in ED, you do the exact same activities in a big ship as a small ship. The progression through the various ship tiers is actually very enjoyable if you spend time doing it, unfortunately due to exploits and the internet most people will never even use half the ships in the game.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Was in station last week with a shipyard with 38 ships.

Goddamn, didn't know there were 38 ships!

Currently exploring in my Krait Phantom, discovered a white dwarf with 2 terraformable water worlds earlier... Or, I think, I am having drinks.

New patch is great, new lightning engine looks amazing. I agree with the guy saying take it slow, not just because of missinhg out on ships, but babies get rich fast, buy the biggest ship and then complain there is nothing to do. Bunch of fags calm the fuck down, the grind is the game, don't whine about MUH PERSONAL NARRATIVE.

An alternative is just take it slow and enjoy the game for what it is.
Which would be fine if any of the initial missions matched my ship loadout or player level. They don't. I'd like to get to at least middle-tier, which seems to be what the game is balanced for.

but babies get rich fast, buy the biggest ship and then complain there is nothing to do. Bunch of fags calm the fuck down, the grind is the game, don't whine about MUH PERSONAL NARRATIVE.
lol, I'm probably not going to do that. The game cost me $12.

I'm fully aware there isn't much in the way of narrative etc. It's why I avoided the game until a huge sale. I just want something to play around with in my spare time. Grind would be fine if I had any actual missions to grind on.

Anyway, I am still curious to know the best ways of making money, but this method seems to be easy enough to start. You can make $250,000 in about 5 to 15 minutes. Just don't get too greedy or you could die and lose it all.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Yea game is balanced around medium ships, and there are a lot of them depending on what you want to do.

I have spent almost all my time in game in an Asp X, it can do mostly anything and is the go to for exploration which is my favourite activity.

I cant really help with making money cos its completely irrelevant to how I play, I just make it doing whatever I feel like doing. I did just make 2 mil from mining a single asteroid which is quite nice, the fissures seem to give you minerals worth 200 - 250 K each. But I think fissure asteroids are fairly rare.

Also exploration now gives alot more cash, but you also have to spend more time doing it, and some people hate exploration, its very much a zen activity.

Well here is a recent thing from a yoo toob guy if you feel like grinding passenger missions:

100 mil will give you any medium ship you want.

praetor

Arcane
passenger missions are still the "go to" for money making

as a beginner friendly money making activity, the "Road to riches" (google it) used to be rather excellent (many millions and with a bit of extra patience, maybe even Elite rank in exploration right away, which opens Shinrarta and the permanent 10% discount on everything [yeah yeah LYR 15% is better, but sometimes it's a pain to find shit even with eddb.io]), even if boring. now exploration isn't that boring anymore (fucking finally), though i don't know how profitable the RtR is now

the super-easy quickbux way to make money would be to find a High Resource Extraction Site (not Hazardous, as those don't have cops), find some cops, shadow them (the bigger the better), target their juicy wanted targets and shoot at those only when they're at <5% hull health to steal them bounties from the pigs. easy millions (if you're lucky to get into an instance with plenty of big bounties)

the super-easy quickbux way to make money would be to find a High Resource Extraction Site (not Hazardous, as those don't have cops), find some cops, shadow them (the bigger the better), target their juicy wanted targets and shoot at those only when they're at <5% hull health to steal them bounties from the pigs. easy millions (if you're lucky to get into an instance with plenty of big bounties)
That's what I've been doing. Made around 2 million pretty quickly. Want to see about doing passenger missions now.

I want to know who came up with the pants on head default mouse and keyboard controls.

I finally got annoyed enough to change it to something sane (A D to strafe and Q E to roll with the L R mouse axis bound to turn instead of roll).

Makes a world of difference.

Arnust

Savant
I just have a blend of gamepad and controller to play ED. It's goof for laidback 'splorin and hauling.

Also, people keep talking about mining being the hottest shit but I've only found ONE explodable asteroid that, fair enough, I got two million worth in Void Opal even if I overcooked the detonation. I know of the Surface scan on belts and the Pulse Wave mechanic, but is there anything more to it or are they just that rare? I've ran out of a half tank of drones in trying to see if a highlighted rock is avaleible for that twice now. Hell, even subsurface deposits are pretty rare.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I want to know who came up with the pants on head default mouse and keyboard controls.

I finally got annoyed enough to change it to something sane (A D to strafe and Q E to roll with the L R mouse axis bound to turn instead of roll).

Yea default is mind bogglingly dumb, I have same setup for M&K as you. I did just start using a controller, due to the new exploration interface is designed specifically for consoles (how surprising) and is incredibly painful to use with a mouse. I hate to say it but controller is not bad for certain activities.

Trying out new Krait Phantom, seems pretty gud, finally an alternative for the Asp X in medium exploration ships. Its quite funny that the Diamondback Explorer is shit for exploration (oh the irony).

lol, server errors are making it unplayable. though I've started some small passenger runs in my new Dolphin passenger liner. Tired of grinding easy bounty kills in my Sidewinder.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Yea default is mind bogglingly dumb, I have same setup for M&K as you. I did just start using a controller, due to the new exploration interface is designed specifically for consoles (how surprising) and is incredibly painful to use with a mouse. I hate to say it but controller is not bad for certain activities.

Trying out new Krait Phantom, seems pretty gud, finally an alternative for the Asp X in medium exploration ships. Its quite funny that the Diamondback Explorer is shit for exploration (oh the irony).

The Krait Phantom is not an alternative to the Asp as much as it is a step up.

The DBX got a boost this patch and is great now, plus it's dirt cheap.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Whew, this game requires even more manual labour than EVE. Might try it again if I get a VR and/or HOTAS though, I can see the potential.

Whew, this game requires even more manual labour than EVE. Might try it again if I get a VR and/or HOTAS though, I can see the potential.
Nah, just do a couple of hours patrolling high resource extraction sites and you'll have enough for any maxed out low-level ship you want. You can easily clear 1 million credits per hour with the starter ship. (Keep in mind you lose all your unclaimed bounties if you die though.)

The real grind is for the 50 million+ credit ships.

Ok, those "sight seeing missions" are the worst. Actually, the second worst. I don't even want to pretend to know how bad it is to travel all the way to the center of the galaxy for those exploration missions.

They all have multiple destinations and then you have to travel all the way back to your original embarkation point.

300+ lightyears for a mere 2 million credit reward.

On the plus side, I was able to sell of my exploration data for around another million, but I could have made way over 3 million in that time taking smaller jobs just one or two jumps away.

You really need some serious long-distance jump capability (further than a fully upgraded Dolphin) to not go insane from this garbage.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Well the new hotness is definitely mining (100 mil an hour) and its even sanctioned by FDEV as they are implementing in game "gold rushes" based on BGS developments. Thats a nice addition as there have been constant exploits/gold rushes since release that FDEV always shut down soon after they become widely known.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I assume they'll just raise the prices for shit after a while. "Whoops you mined too much, gotta deal with space inflation :^)" or some bullshit.
Or they have another engineer-type grind ready that will drop soon, so money wont matter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom