Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

potatojohn

Arcane
http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpost.php?p=609596&postcount=130

straight from the horse's mouth

I don't give a damn what all the other space games have done in the past,

What is Frontier?

nor do I care that our yaw rates are apparently even slower than a plane's is (though every time I've tried doing a pure yaw turn in IL-2 I've stalled my plane before I got anything that even resembled a steady and fast turn rate).

We joke about WW2 dogfighters in space, but there you go

Suffice to say we wanted Elite to feel like star wars

Ah yes, Star Wars. The definite source of all space flight knowledge for the new Elite developers

Finally realism has played no part whatsoever in any of our design discussions

I am shocked.

so far we feel we're hitting the right notes for the majority of our audience.

Lots of focus testing apparently[/quote]

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I thought it had been official for some time they were trying to make it feel like Star Wars.

There's nothing wrong with making a game feel like Star Wars in the abstract.

The Fish

Arcane
After playing this I can absolutely understand why they made yaw rates low. It feels great.

A realistic space sim would probably play like a naval battle stretched over several thousand kilometres. While that might make a good game it renders all talk of realism in these dogfighting games fairly pointless.

I would liked to have seen a more developed economy. My main source of income in Eve was sitting in a station placing buy and sell orders and it's a shame that Elite only seems to accommodate shipping at the moment.

bonescraper

A realistic space sim would probably play like a naval battle stretched over several thousand kilometres. While that might make a good game it renders all talk of realism in these dogfighting games fairly pointless.
But nobody here wants that. Our resident "realfags" still want dogfights in space (not long distance sniping duels between two dots on a radar) but with ships that act more like mobile space turrets, not space airplanes.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Welp, caved in and bought this. Will see how kb+mouse works for me since finding a decent joystick for southpaws around here is a pain and I'm sure as hell not going to settle for a right-handed one.

[edit]

up to 5th mission, so far the mouse+kb is passable

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Yeh... Joystick is probably better, but kb+mouse is passable if you rebind the mouse to pitch+yaw instead of pitch+roll, WASD to thrust up/left/down/right and QE to roll. I've made it through all the combat scenarios now and I'm pretty comfortable with docking. Time to make some spacecreds :3

Ship turns like a brick. Am I right to assume I turn sharper if I have my throttle set in the blue region? Maybe I need to divert moar power to engines. It feels like enemy ships can turn on a dime. Any way to make really sharp turns, like 180 degrees to shoot at someone who's on your tail?

bonescraper

Am I right to assume I turn sharper if I have my throttle set in the blue region?
Correct.

Maybe I need to divert moar power to engines.
Yes. At 0% engine power i did a full loop in 10 seconds, and at 100% in 8 seconds (approximately).

It feels like enemy ships can turn on a dime. Any way to make really sharp turns, like 180 degrees to shoot at someone who's on your tail?
Reverse thrust is your friend.

BTW, here's a really helpful trading tool http://www.oisltest.com/DM/BPC/

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It also seems like the ship pitches sharper than it yaws, and it pitches up sharper than it pitches down. So rolling until your target is above you and pitching up seems to be the sharpest turns. I'm still getting wrecked fairly often if there are 2+ npcs. My piddly little gimballed lasers don't have enough damage output :<

Also, if you install weapons with a total power output higher than your power plant can support, deploying them purges your shields, shuts off your engines and disables life support (but doesn't allow the guns to fire). Great design! :troll:

bonescraper

I wanted to do a Top Gun entry at full speed and i crashed into Dahan Gateway with cargo worth 5000 credits. FUCK ME.

bonescraper

Maybe not, but if it would make the game more fun then fuck your realism.

Quake 3 had rocket jumps, plasma walks and circle jumps, baaw where's muh realism!

potatojohn

Arcane
But Quake 3 isn't in the sim subforum. Maybe this thread should be moved to General Gaming?

Raapys

Arcane
I don't see what they would have against 'full realism' in a space sim flight model. Far as I can recall, IW2's flight model was entirely newtonian and realistic once you deactivated assists, and there isn't any space sim out there that feels better in terms of flying.

I'm just gonna assume that this has to do with multiplayer/network and that too fast turning rates would make the netcode part more challenging than they'd like.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Roll until target is above you, toggle off flight assist, pitch up, turn flight assist back on to stabilize. You're now flying backwards, shootin' at what was behind you.

Also, when approaching space stations after dropping out of supercruise, turn off flight assist and tap your afterburner. You'll stay at high velocity instead of idling down to regular "maximum speed".

Bradylama

Arcane
ITT space spergs are mad that this space dogfighter isn't realistic.
If you made an FPS more along lines of Doom than some sort of milsim, it would still not be an excuse for making players swim in the air instead of walking on the ground.

+M

Well this is a game where you navigate a void instead of a maze, so "swimming through the air" in this case is appropriate, non?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom