Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

potatojohn

Arcane
I have a joystick. It sucked even when it worked. Nobody plays KSP or Orbiter with anything except a keyboard

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nobody plays KSP or Orbiter with anything except a keyboard
I call bullshit on that one.

I won't start to explain why a joystick >>>mouse and keyboard when it comes to flying (not aiming) a spaceship, because it is so obvious, you probably know the answer.

But I give you a hint. Because with a joystick you can pitch, roll and yaw with fine precision, while with a mouse you can only pitch and yaw. And with a keyboard (being a digital device) you can only apply 0% or 100% control (pushing a button or not pushing).

Sure, if you want to play casually, go play with a mouse, nobody is stopping you.
Filthy casual. ;)

Last edited:

Bradylama

Arcane
I have a 360 pad, but that also lacks button.

It's quite fun to use a joystick.

I can also afford the Warthog, but not sure if it's worth it.

Not unless you actually intend to play a Warthog sim.

If you can afford around 300 bux you could always go with a CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, and their Pro Rudder pedals. You can get all 3 between 300-350 USD.

If you don't care for pedals and want your stick to control yaw, the Saitek x52 pro is recommended, and you can couple that with the CH Pro Throttle since it's superior to Saitek's throttle in the most important ways, like superior construction, 18 buttons and a mini-joystick that pushes in like a PS3 controller stick.

CH products will last longer, but the x52 & Pro Throttle don't involve your legs or feet, and it will save you a hundred USD.

I'm not sure how they're priced in Euros for your market, but if you can afford the Warthog HOTAS you can afford those setups probably.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The logic behind a joystick is mimicking the control method of simulated vehicle. Still I don't really see why a joystick should top the mouse in a spacesim when it comes to results.
Because it's easier to keep a constant distance from center and it auto returns itself to neutral.

i grew with an amiga, i know it more than all of you u_u
but times change, peripherals change, and not having a decent mouse control system in 2014 is inexcusable.

Bradylama

Arcane
i grew with an amiga, i know it more than all of you u_u
but times change, peripherals change, and not having a decent mouse control system in 2014 is inexcusable.

Elite's K&M is certainly decent, but it's not even close to the superior experience of a joystick.

The controls experience between Elite and Star Citizen right now could not be more different.

no way it's decent.
in frontier it could take no more than 30 seconds to figure out how to hyperspace somewhere else, and if anything was wrong you knew it right away.
in elite: dangerous it's taken me 15 minutes to figure out how to access even the most basic commands, they're still not clear nor consistent and yet i have to understand why the ship's autopilot won't work.

even worse.
so, what's the meaning of the list of planet/bases and the "activate hyperwhatsitsname" command?

Dexter

Arcane
Unwashed peasants will just never understand the magic of the glorious joystick master race.

https://vine.co/v/MtxxEXD9ndA
One of the main reasons I really want to get a Hotas Setup is that it seems to translate to the avatar movement inside the game 1:1 adding Increased Immersion*. :obviously:

Also being able to turn your head around while in play:

Still not sure which one, I'm heavily inclined towards the Saitek X52 Pro so far.

Last edited:

Bradylama

Arcane
even worse.
so, what's the meaning of the list of planet/bases and the "activate hyperwhatsitsname" command?

Are you simple? No really. I manually mapped out all of my commands and tested them in-flight, which is a process that took a couple hours, but you don't see me complaining. The game allows you to map anything and you're complaining that you can't find the hyperspace button? Fucking look it up.

The meaning of the planets and bases list is to allow you to lock on to a celestial body or point of interest so that you can orient yourself towards it for supercruise or a hyperspace jump. This is all really simple and obvious stuff.

You can know how to orient yourself because the Navigational radar to the top right of the main radar display, will indicate the direction of your nav lock. It also points towards your landing pad inside the stations.

are you retard? i found it, it won't work. it doesn't target, it doesn't aim, it doesn't steer.
also: two hours to make the game playable? jesus h. christ! it's getting worse and worse.

Bradylama

Arcane
BrabEN giving a conference on Elite and planned features, as well as the results of the Alpha and Beta.

He never reached Elite status!!! :shunthenonbeliever:

Azazel

Arbiter
There are default mappings for Saitek HOTAS's, I know the X-52 and X-55 are both detected and mapped automagically (though re-mapping of many buttons is still useful).

Bradylama

Arcane
Getting used to rudder pedals is the hardest thing about the CH Products HOTAS suite, because I've never used them in my entire life. It's going to be a while before I can come close to achieving the fine control I had with my hands and wrist. The biggest problem is that I'll often forget to even use the pedals, since it's so counter-intuitive to every other way I've ever played a video game. The pedals are vital though if you want the game to be fully controllable without the mouse and keyboard, which will be especially important when the consumer model of the Occulus Rift comes out next year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom