Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
So if I'm not big on realism/Newtonian Physics/extreme simulation and prefer open-exploration/free-roam/trading/fighting/whatever; which is superior: this or Star Citizen?
No Man's Sky

Bradylama

Arcane
So, how much does this one play itself like a Multiplayer-Verison of X3?

Not at alll.

To bad :(
Will wait a bit more in this case.

It's just not the same kind of game at all. In X3 you flew bricks on milk runs building up an industrial empire. In Elite: Dangerous the ships are actually simulated for your milk runs, and there is no chance to build a business. The meat and potatoes of X3 were in business building, while in E:D it's combat and exploration.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
So, how much does this one play itself like a Multiplayer-Verison of X3?

Not at alll.

To bad :(
Will wait a bit more in this case.

It's just not the same kind of game at all. In X3 you flew bricks on milk runs building up an industrial empire. In Elite: Dangerous the ships are actually simulated for your milk runs, and there is no chance to build a business. The meat and potatoes of X3 were in business building, while in E:D it's combat and exploration.

Thats an interesting viewpoint, since i spent several hundred hours from X2 to Albion prelude and built a total of less than 12 factories in all those games combined.
X is very well playable without trading but instead focusing on combat only (and still being successfull)
My question was sparked mainly due to those mission descriptions in the Screenshot sounding almost exactly like the type of random missions X offers, namely assasinations, taxi runs, delivery-stuff etc pp.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
My question was sparked mainly due to those mission descriptions in the Screenshot sounding almost exactly like the type of random missions X offers, namely assasinations, taxi runs, delivery-stuff etc pp.
those are a space sim staple. ever since the first elite, i think.. so in essence you are asking how much a new elite plays like x3 because of elements elite introduced to the genre, if i am not mistaken.

Raapys

Arcane
Every single open-world space sim I can remember has had those mission types.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
those are a space sim staple. ever since the first elite, i think.. so in essence you are asking how much a new elite plays like x3 because of elements elite introduced to the genre, if i am not mistaken.

If you want to put it this way, maybe.

I'm not to familiar with this genre outside of X.
Only played Freelancer and Darkstar One for a while and the controls of the former didn' sit to well with me.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
I'm not to familiar with this genre outside of X.
Only played Freelancer and Darkstar One for a while and the controls of the former didn' sit to well with me.
look at the vids in this thread, especially the flight assist off, ftl and stealth ones. see if that interests you, then consider that it's supposed to have core worlds where you can do trading, piracy, missions and stuff, plus 100000000000+ procedurally generated uninhabited star systems for people to visit and fuck around in.

Bradylama

Arcane
X is very well playable without trading but instead focusing on combat only (and still being successfull)

:prosper:

We must be talking about different franchises then, because combat progression in X3 went at a snail's pace, and became stale far too quick to justify it.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
So if I'm not big on realism/Newtonian Physics/extreme simulation and prefer open-exploration/free-roam/trading/fighting/whatever; which is superior: this or Star Citizen?
No Man's Sky

That "game" is either vaporware or the next Spore. Possibly a hybrid of both. There's going to be a huge scandal about it eventually.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
We must be talking about different franchises then, because combat progression in X3 went at a snail's pace, and became stale far too quick to justify it.

The particulars of combat in X3 sucked cock for a variety of reasons, but you could always just play the entire thing by remote control.

How to play X3:

• sell starting ships
  • buy fast scout, triplex scanner, satellites
  • map half the galaxy
  • start training sector traders
  • map the rest of the galaxy
  • setup UT blacklist
  • continue training UTs
  • collect "free" money and faction rep
  • build factory complexes
  • collect even more "free" money
  • build base, collect blueprints
  • build ever-increasing armadas
  • send armadas to shoot everything that moves

Technically, I believe you can do all of this without ever personally undocking from a station.

What's really hilarious is that some ships are far more powerful when fighting while you're out of system than in it, especially that Terran one, forget the name of it.

balmorar

Arcane

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
No Man's Sky

That "game" is either vaporware or the next Spore. Possibly a hybrid of both. There's going to be a huge scandal about it eventually.
You are talking about Star Citizen.

I've seen Star Citizen's gameplay videos. Regardless of its potential bloat or delayed release dates, there is an actual game in there.

No Man's Sky is a really enthusiastic college project. It's got jarring visual design, vague gameplay goals, and really inane design decisions. If it ever comes through, it will just be a relaxing screensaver. Perhaps, another pretentious indie game about vastness of the Universe or something.

Meanwhile Elite+a couple of expansions will actually accomplish what No Man's Sky promised.

balmorar

Arcane
No Man's Sky

You are talking about Star Citizen.

I've seen Star Citizen's gameplay videos. Regardless of its potential bloat or delayed release dates, there is an actual game in there.

No Man's Sky is a really enthusiastic college project. It's got jarring visual design, vague gameplay goals, and really inane design decisions. If it ever comes through, it will just be a relaxing screensaver. Perhaps, another pretentious indie game about vastness of the Universe or something.

Meanwhile Elite+a couple of expansions will actually accomplish what No Man's Sky promised.
I watched a stream of elite dangerous, it was so fucking boring i almost fell asleep. Game of the year.

I've seen Shit Citizen's gameplay videos too, they were laughable. 40 mil wasted on that crap :D, i can't wait until the rich backers start to sue the developers because it didn't bring what was promised. It will be glorious.

Angthoron

Arcane
Truly 2014 is the year of incline when three groups of three different upcoming space sims none of which is from the X series are shitting at each others.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I watched a stream of elite dangerous, it was so fucking boring i almost fell asleep. Game of the year.

I've seen Shit Citizen's gameplay videos too, they were laughable.

You're hereby admitting that you've seen gameplay videos of those games.

Games, that exist. And have [some] gameplay. In them.

If you haven't gotten my point yet, you never will.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
I watched a stream of elite dangerous, it was so fucking boring i almost fell asleep.
you sound a little bitter there, friend. is the fear that nms will turn out to be vaporware or a steaming pile of shit starting to get to you?

balmorar

Arcane

I've seen Shit Citizen's gameplay videos too, they were laughable.

You're hereby admitting that you've seen gameplay videos of those games.

Games, that exist. And have [some] gameplay. In them.

If you haven't gotten my point yet, you never will.
Breaking news: No Man's Sky trailers are gameplay footages cut together.
I watched a stream of elite dangerous, it was so fucking boring i almost fell asleep.
you sound a little bitter there, friend. is the fear that nms will turn out to be vaporware or a steaming pile of shit starting to get to you?
What hello games is doing is nothing new, it's basically Space Engine with gameplay. There's nothing to worry about. Although i'm still interested in Elite Dangerous, maybe the full version will be better.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Breaking news: No Man's Sky trailers are gameplay footages cut together.
no, they aren't. you can easily tell by the smooth camera movement that they are in-engine movies, not gameplay. actual players, even devs for presentation purposes, don't move smoothly like that, especially not in curves, and they jerk around to look at interesting things. which just doesn't happen here. even the pretty much only hands on you linked states that he only fucked around in a cave and its vicinity, and that it was the one from the trailer, meaning it was created by hand, not procedurally, which in turn implies they made it specifically as scenery to record the movie in.
What hello games is doing is nothing new
sure it isn't, but procedural generation isn't just "poof, magic". it is incredibly hard to design a system, provide it with atoms and write the rules that you won't immediately feel the repetition. just look at starbound and how long it will take you to get bored of the terrain because your brain is wired to notice patterns and similarities more so than differences.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Kill yourself balmoar. Nobody cares about your console games.
It's coming to PC too you little faggot.

It's not coming anywhere. It's a "vertical slice demo" like with Aliens: Colonial Marines. Learn to distinguish gameplay from barely functional, heavily guided, renderer demo. There's a chasm of difference, an eternity of development time and required skill between the two.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Yeah, and can you prove your shitty accusations? No, you can't.
which ones? that the stuff in nms aren't gameplay trailers but in-engine vertical slice movies? sure we can.
normal player movement:

notice the tendency for jaggy movement. high speed movement between single pointsof focus, staying oriented towards that point for a bit, high speed movement towards other points of focus and so on. it mirrors how you yourself look at things: you focus something, then rather than moving your eyes at a steady and slow pace across your field of vision you focus another point and move your eyes towards that, ignoring stuff inbetween.
notice also the swining around of the viewpoint in both to give greater awareness of the surroundings and offhand focusing of semi
interesting things, or how movement direction does not always correspond to the direction of the viewpoint, or, last but not least, they switch up movement modes for characters by occasionally jumping, running, and doing other things that make little sense in the given situation but nevertheless happen. that's pretty much how all gamers behave.

now let's take a look at nms "gameplay" trailer:

the movement is VERY smooth, not jaggy at all, he does focus some things, but those are also done very smoothly at a constant and low angular rotation, which is not how people controlling games play at all. the only time he increases speed is at the end, to give a false feeling of urgency when the big thing comes through. overall the camera behaves like a vehicular camera, meaning it also looks exactly like cinematic shots done by cameras on rails/sliders/whatever or in-game cameras on a programmed path. this is clearly not a real person playing the game. even in staged demos where the dev knows exactly what will happen when, you still get occasional short bouts of refocusing a different point, as described above, but it just doesn't fucking ever happen in this one.
(note that i am only talking about the on-foot section. vehicle movement pretty much always looks like camera on rails, for obvious reasons)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom