Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Embracer just bought Middle-earth Enterprises (rights to everything, not just games)

Elttharion

Learned
"We own Lord of the Rings, and we know we need to be exploiting Lord of the Rings in a very significant fashion and turning that into one of the biggest gaming franchises in the world," Karch said. "And that's obviously something we're going to be doing.

"That's a much better use of resources than some of the other projects that some of our teams have been working on. Working together we have those oppurtunities and we're super excited to see that working relatively quickly."
https://www.eurogamer.net/we-know-we-need-to-be-exploiting-lord-of-the-rings-embattled-embracer-says
You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension.

FalayedGong

Novice
I respect them being honest, but I'm pretty confused how anyone, much less a CEO thinks that saying they're gonna "exploit" anything, much less LOTR is gonna make everyday people trust them. Don't get me wrong, I'll take a villain saying they're doing villain shit instead of treating everyone as retards who don't know better, just saying I feel like being less callus would serve their interests a bit better.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I respect them being honest, but I'm pretty confused how anyone, much less a CEO thinks that saying they're gonna "exploit" anything, much less LOTR is gonna make everyday people trust them. Don't get me wrong, I'll take a villain saying they're doing villain shit instead of treating everyone as retards who don't know better, just saying I feel like being less callus would serve their interests a bit better.
You should look up the word exploit. The primary meaning doesn't have connotations of greed or unfair treatment, simply usage and deriving benefit. Did you think corporations pay millions for intellectual property that they would not plan to profit from?

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
DarPwdTWAAAaMY7.jpg

Gerrard

Arcane
"We own Lord of the Rings, and we know we need to be exploiting Lord of the Rings in a very significant fashion and turning that into one of the biggest gaming franchises in the world," Karch said. "And that's obviously something we're going to be doing.

"That's a much better use of resources than some of the other projects that some of our teams have been working on. Working together we have those oppurtunities and we're super excited to see that working relatively quickly."
https://www.eurogamer.net/we-know-we-need-to-be-exploiting-lord-of-the-rings-embattled-embracer-says
Nice copium, I will be very surprised if they manage to make anything that isn't a flop.

I'm surprised Bioware or Obsidian never got their hands on LOTR. No, Embracer and its army of AA jank shit devs now get to defile this already raped corpse.

BioWare is so stupid they probably did have a shot at doing Lord of the Rings and turned it down as some point of pride or something. BioWare was at EA when EA had the rights to do LotR movie related stuff, so I’d be surprised if BioWare wasn’t offered a chance to do something with it. There was three years where BioWare was under EA and EA had the Lord of the Rings rights.

Given The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, I’m almost surprised EA didn’t pull in someone like Atlus. Third Age would’ve been around the time they were working with AKI, and right around the time their deal with Square ended; so working with Japanese companies wouldn’t have been strange for that era of EA.

I'm surprised Bioware or Obsidian never got their hands on LOTR. No, Embracer and its army of AA jank shit devs now get to defile this already raped corpse.
You must be ready for a world of pan if you want to work with licensed stuff. Both of them experienced that and I don't think they'd like to do that ever again.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

The Lord of the Rings Rights Were Purchased by Embracer Group for a Surprisingly Low Price

Francesco De Meo • Jun 23, 2023 07:16 AM EDT

Embracer Group The Lord of the Rings

Last Summer, the Swedish conglomerate Embracer Group purchased rights to The Lord of the Rings without disclosing how much was paid, but it was now confirmed that the company paid a surprisingly low price for what is the most recognizable fantasy franchise ever made (as we had assumed a while ago).

As revealed in the company's annual report, Embracer Group purchased the rights from Saul Zaentz Company for SEK 4.2 billion, around 395 million US dollars. Back when the deal was announced, as reported by Variety, the rights, which include rights to films, video games, board games, merchandising, theme parks, and stage productions, were estimated to be worth up to 2 billion dollars, so it seems like the Swedish conglomerate got a real bargain.

Having paid so little for The Lord of the Rings rights, Embracer Group shouldn't have too much trouble turning it into one of the biggest gaming franchises ever, a goal that the company will actively pursue in the future, as revealed by interim COO Matthew Karch earlier this month. The recent restructuring of the group also opened up additional resources to reach this goal.
We own Lord of the Rings, and we know we need to be exploiting Lord of the Rings in a very significant fashion and turning that into one of the biggest gaming franchises in the world. And that's obviously something we're going to be doing.

That's a much better use of resources than some of the other projects that some of our teams have been working on. Working together, we have those opportunities, and we're super excited to see that put to work relatively quickly.

A new The Lord of the Rings game focused on Gollum was released last month by Daedalic, though it bombed among critics and users alike. In Wccftech's review, Ule Lopez wrote:
[...] if you're the kind of player who wishes to see stunning visuals and deep mechanics alongside high replay value and stable performance, I believe that this experience will leave much to be desired.

Later this year, another game based on Tolkien's beloved fantasy books will be released. The Lord of the Rings: Return to Moria, a survival crafting game where players take the roles of dwarves attempting to regain control of their long-lost underground kingdom, is scheduled to launch this Fall.

Moreover, Amazon Games is once again making a new The Lord of the Rings MMO.

395 million Kwanbux.

I don't understand how they get away so cheaply without a bigger player upping the ante.

The Lord of the Rings Rights Were Purchased by Embracer Group for a Surprisingly Low Price

Last Summer, the Swedish conglomerate Embracer Group purchased rights to The Lord of the Rings without disclosing how much was paid, but it was now confirmed that the company paid a surprisingly low price for what is the most recognizable fantasy franchise ever made (as we had assumed a while ago).

As revealed in the company's annual report, Embracer Group purchased the rights from Saul Zaentz Company for SEK 4.2 billion, around 395 million US dollars. Back when the deal was announced, as reported by Variety, the rights, which include rights to films, video games, board games, merchandising, theme parks, and stage productions, were estimated to be worth up to 2 billion dollars, so it seems like the Swedish conglomerate got a real bargain.

Having paid so little for The Lord of the Rings rights, Embracer Group shouldn't have too much trouble turning it into one of the biggest gaming franchises ever, a goal that the company will actively pursue in the future, as revealed by interim COO Matthew Karch earlier this month. The recent restructuring of the group also opened up additional resources to reach this goal.
We own Lord of the Rings, and we know we need to be exploiting Lord of the Rings in a very significant fashion and turning that into one of the biggest gaming franchises in the world. And that's obviously something we're going to be doing.

That's a much better use of resources than some of the other projects that some of our teams have been working on. Working together, we have those opportunities, and we're super excited to see that put to work relatively quickly.

A new The Lord of the Rings game focused on Gollum was released last month by Daedalic, though it bombed among critics and users alike. In Wccftech's review, Ule Lopez wrote:
[...] if you're the kind of player who wishes to see stunning visuals and deep mechanics alongside high replay value and stable performance, I believe that this experience will leave much to be desired.

Later this year, another game based on Tolkien's beloved fantasy books will be released. The Lord of the Rings: Return to Moria, a survival crafting game where players take the roles of dwarves attempting to regain control of their long-lost underground kingdom, is scheduled to launch this Fall.

395 million Kwanbux.

I don't understand how they get away so cheaply without a bigger player upping the ante.
I don't understand why these things are so expensive to begin with. It's just a bunch of books and some written permissions. It's immoral that they're this expensive.

J1M

Arcane

395 million Kwanbux.

Can probably thank Kathleen and Kurtzman for that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom