Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Modron

Arcane
Testing PS5 emulation on a rig that isn't good enough to emulate the PS3 isn't really that informative.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Duraframe300 the QT build is great. Is there any way to automatically scrape some website database to download cover art? I remember an old frontend I used to run did that (PCSX Bonus I believe it was called).
Stenzek isn't a fan of implementing it, because of legal reasons (Same reason why he hasn't done so on Duckstation). He's not preventing anyone else from doing it though so it may happen down the line for PCSX2, but in the meantime chances are bigger that someone releases a script for a scrapper or even a utility to prepare covers automatically.

Personally, I use Launchbox, so I just took all the covers that were downloaded from there and then bulk renamed them to match the names of my CHD's, threw the result in the covers folder and PCSX2 picked them up automatically.

Used https://www.advancedrenamer.com/ for the renaming.

That's the best I can tell you.

deuxhero

Arcane
Duraframe300 the QT build is great. Is there any way to automatically scrape some website database to download cover art? I remember an old frontend I used to run did that (PCSX Bonus I believe it was called).
Stenzek isn't a fan of implementing it, because of legal reasons (Same reason why he hasn't done so on Duckstation). He's not preventing anyone else from doing it though so it may happen down the line for PCSX2, but in the meantime chances are bigger that someone releases a script for a scrapper or even a utility to prepare covers automatically.

Personally, I use Launchbox, so I just took all the covers that were downloaded from there and then bulk renamed them to match the names of my CHD's, threw the result in the covers folder and PCSX2 picked them up automatically.

For the record, Dolphin doesn't have to worry about this because almost every physical GC and Wii game has its own internal banner on the disc.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Speaking of which

https://github.com/LouiseSulyvahn/PCSX2_Cover_Downloader

That was fast.

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, there was some minimal testing... :oops:

I've decided to play Tactics Ogre - LUCT (PSP) and despite me hating scalers / shaders most of the time, I think for this game using a "Natural Colors" (with blur) PPSSPP's shader is a good idea.

Comparison:

a) 1x internal

Blurry & jaggy:

DSqFm2B.jpg

:(

b) 4x internal

Sharp, but pixelated:

JjM6M9k.jpg

:(

c) 4x internal + "Natural Colors" shader (which adds some blur as well)

Perfection (not really, but decent):

33ATtMO.jpg

:incline:

"Dialogue font" & menus are IMO much more readable now:

rkqP6r6.jpg

Paz1trQ.jpg

Sadly, it looks that people complaining about "too much shit added in this remake" weren't exaggerating. I mean:

zer7pWV.jpg

IApDeH2.jpg

gjqvVSQ.jpg

QJUwodB.jpg

C5YekL4.gif

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Last edited:

Don Peste

Arcane
Conker: Live & Reloaded is currently marked as Playable on xemu: https://xemu.app/titles/4d530051/#Conker-Live-Reloaded
Other exclusives like Dino Crisis 3, Galleon, Raze's Hell or Voodoo Vince are supposed to be Playable too.
Fatal Frame (Project Zero) is now considered Playable.
The Xbox port should be the best version, since it "featured graphical upgrades, new ghosts to fight, a redesigned interface for the camera, bonus costumes for Miku, and a new "Fatal" difficulty mode. Completing the game on this difficulty unlocked an art gallery".
https://web.archive.org/web/20220429211851/http://www.tecmo.co.jp/product/ff/

Cromwell

Arcane
I need some help. I started using or rather trying to use pcsx3. The Games I tested run fine as long as I dont do anything with them, when I apply some patch from their database like unlocking 60 fps or change anything the emulator will freeze when trying to start a game. The only way I found to work around that is to restart my computer which mostly makes the games start again but not reliably. I have no fuckign clue what the issue here could even be

Duraframe300

Arcane
Not 100% sure, but I think Stenzek has lost it again and thrown all his toys out. (Deleted all his open PR's for PCSX2)

:negative:

Edit: Yep, got overly paranoid again. Dude needs some serious help.

Last edited:

Puukko

Arcane
Was about to write a tl;dr column about my recent yuzu experiences, but let's keep it short. They introduced some audio fixes in a recent EA that made Fire Emblem Three Copes boot and immediately wipe the floor with Ryujinx in terms of performance. The latter was just too stuttery. Yuzu EA now has Vulkan as its default renderer while Ryujinx still has it tied to some dev builds. I've been using it on yuzu since last year and it's made strides, though graphics corruptions are still to be expected.

Consequently Xenoblade 2 no longer suffers from audio crackling. The vast majority of graphical glitches have also been fixed compared to last time I played it, though I have managed to spawn some digital horrors a couple times. Minimum performance hasn't really changed so I don't think there's hardware out there that can make proper use of the 60 fps patch yet, seeing as my 5600x still drops a bit below 30 at times. Next gen hardware at 1x, maybe.

I'm curious where 3 will fit in. DE was a bit toned down in terms of fidelity which made it run quite a lot better than 2 on top of having a usable fps patch. To 2's credit, it's probably been the easiest adjustment to 30 fps for my pampered high framerate ass.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I finally managed to emulate GBA games on my 3ds, well emulating should not really be the word because inside the 3ds it's the entire gba hardware. Twilight++ only worked for DS games but not GBA but i just tried open GBA Open GBA Github and works fantastic, will play FE 6 now and after it probably Battle Network.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Anyone here use a keyboard when emulating?

I've been experiencing a strange issue when using a keyboard - sometimes it stops working, but not entirely. Only the character keys don't work, the rest of them (like shift, ctrl, numpad, etc) continue working just fine. It happens randomly when I alt-tab from emulator's window, and then it somehow gets resolved by itself, without me doing anything particular.

I've encountered this problem in Dolphin, in PCSX2, and now currently suffering it in Duckstation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom