Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Encased - isometric post-apocalyptic RPG under the dome

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
also it have that stupid looting everything without consequences thing,where you just enter someone's hovel and steal his relics and he is all ok mate.

Yes and no. You can far too frequently do this, which I also dislike, but there are quite a number of situations where you can't and an NPC will get pissed at you. There is a crime system, particular in more civilised areas in the game, but even that is too lax. They had the foundation for a great system here, but kind of squandered it. Same with stealth.
Yes,there is a crime system,but it is weird one. NPCs always find out that something happened,or is missing and it take long time go away. The funny part is that there is a crime even when you kill mutants and shit,the fist thing.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
While my first impression was really good, it's a little bit more sour now couple of hours in. Like some have mentioned here, stealth is just wtf OP. I have zero skill in it but I can still sneak up on zombies and smell their farts and they have no idea. Also, stuff is not tagged owned. I can just pick up whatever I want - that expensive high-grade medkit? No, problem, just take it stranger! It requires some hard personal RP rules not to just rob everyone blind (reminds me of Witcher games). It kills the immersion. This is a localized apocalypse with dwindling resources, people should be very protective about their stuff.

And after the tutorial, even if intriguing story, it feels like Terenty is saying "been there, done that". I mean one of the first cities is even called Junktown for crying out loud. I think it might have been a better game if it was more ELEX like, with systems like it, and maybe (may Allah forgive me) third-person. Even exploring feels a little bit off with the lack of fog of war. As soon as you enter a map you can see everything, where enemies are etc, since they are tagged through that vision-eye. While I think the combat is okay, I mean I have no problem with it in a game like this, and it can be deadly, but it's only deadly (so far at least) if you instigate it, because as I said, every danger is clearly marked and stealth is just wut.

It's an odd game. It started so good, and the mystery is still there, but I think the mechanics (now after experiencing them for a while) really brings it down. Oh well, let's see how it turns out.

Jinn

Arcane
Fanta says "Hmmm, double post huh? Fuck that, I'm going to quintuple post this shit!"

The setting is not very original too

Obviously to each his own, but I can't think of a CRPG from the past 3 years or so that has a more interesting or unique setting as this. It clearly has its inspirations, but it definitely takes all of them and puts a very original spin on it. What exactly would it take for a setting to be original for you these days?

EDIT: Oh shit, I thought of one. It's Discos Elysium. Hardly an RPG though. Would have been glorious as a full-blown CRPG though.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fanta says "Hmmm, double post huh? Fuck that, I'm going to quintuple post this shit!"

The setting is not very original too

Obviously to each his own, but I can't think of a CRPG from the past 3 years or so that has a more interesting or unique setting as this. It clearly has its inspirations, but it definitely takes all of them and puts a very original spin on it. What exactly would it take for a setting to be original for you these days?
Well it is a good game and i want to talk about it. Problem ?

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Yeah, many mechanics have been either seriously nerfed or semi turned-off while still working (like crime system). Why? Again: SteamBabies and Discord Trannies

Devs are HYPERSENSITIVE to any criticism of difficulty, Vagrus devs less so, ATOM devs even less, Stoneshard devs listen, Underrail just don't give fuck and have been infected by Sawyer's balancism as of late while Colony Ship is more sensitive to criticsm then during Age of Decadence, but still retain their artistic integrity

Out of all indie RPG devs, Encased ones are the most sensitive to tears of normies and rush to nerf and make things easier. Which is like strange, cause you have different difficulty levels

Jinn

Arcane
I'm honestly to the point with this game that I love it on so many fronts, and my experience with it has yet to be soured, that I'm considering putting it down until it gets some post-release attention. I feel like I don't want to get to the point in the game where I'm like "welp, better finish it." I want to keep it in my memory as a loved game, not as something that lost all meaning gameplay-wise 1/2 - 3/4 of the way through.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
One of most common questions in past few days on Encased Discord is:

"I killed every man, woman and child in this major town, luckily War Tribunal in Hague has no jurisdiction under the Dome. I really hope it won't have any influence on the story, I hate reloading"

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Gamers have become incredibly lazybrains. Sadly, one flaw of Encased devs is that they wipe every tear of crying SteamBabies with another nerf. *5min later* Same SteamBaby leaves negative review anyway, cause game is now too easy and boring

People don't know what they want or need

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Dark Souls would have difficulty levels, GPS and auto-combat if it was in EarlyAccess. Biggest advantage and flaw of EA is players' feedback. Democracy sucks, always has. Encased is great but could have been legendary. Good Night

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well it is a good game and i want to talk about it. Problem ?

No, of course not. I'm just giving you shit because people usually compile their replies to other people into a single post.
My game/politics post ratio is not as good as i want it to be. Also i replay to different people,it is annoying to have to read irrelevant garbage between other users to get to the part that is about your quote.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, many mechanics have been either seriously nerfed or semi turned-off while still working (like crime system). Why? Again: SteamBabies and Discord Trannies

Devs are HYPERSENSITIVE to any criticism of difficulty, Vagrus devs less so, ATOM devs even less, Stoneshard devs listen, Underrail just don't give fuck and have been infected by Sawyer's balancism as of late while Colony Ship is more sensitive to criticsm then during Age of Decadence, but still retain their artistic integrity

Out of all indie RPG devs, Encased ones are the most sensitive to tears of normies and rush to nerf and make things easier. Which is like strange, cause you have different difficulty levels

Did the stealth mechanics work differently in early builds?

Trithne

Erudite
I see that beds were buffed, so that takes out one of my negatives.

Things I would still like to see:
- make Hunger and Thirst more aggressive.
- make Stealth... I don't know, work? I've got fuckall stealth skill and I can sneak around, the eye fills up with red, but nothing happens.
- get rid of inventory tetris. It's unnecessary here since you aren't being limited by the size of your inventory grid, just weight.at least get rid of items that are taller than they are wide, it fucks up the grid and looks like shit.
- show me if I'm stealing shit. Best I've seen is some containers have their interact icon in red.

All that said, the way I see it, if my complaints can be boiled down to QoL fixes and "make it harder", then it's pretty good.

E: let me enter turn based mode at will. The whole throwing bolts to make anomalies calm down and trying to get past them thing doesn't work in real time.

Jinn

Arcane
Early Access just needs to fucking die. Hire experienced playtesters, maybe release a demo to gauge public response, and release your game when it's good and ready. This has got to end. Very rarely have I seen a game actually benefit from it, and when they do it's a game like ATOM where they listen to the people who actually like the type of game they're trying to make, rather than some fuckhead sub 80 IQ on the steam forums.

RELEASE THE GAME THAT YOU WANT TO MAKE, NOT WHAT SOME MORON WHO DOESN'T LIKE YOUR GAME IN THE FIRST PLACE WANTS.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

Did the stealth mechanics work differently in early builds?

Yeah, here difficulty was nerfed by stealth being insanely buffed. You can also see in first hotfix: what are all substantial changes? All make game even more easy

Expect further: nerfs, nerfs, nerfs to difficulty. Devs think that brings them sales, while failing to see that castrates their game, makes it bland (all SteamBabies want to play the same game basicaly), and renders many immersive/simulationist/RPG mechanics meaningless. It takes all the sweet taste of blood and sweat out of combat

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
But this is all SO STUPID and UNNECESSARY. You have different difficulty levels ffs, leave crime system fully working and stealth not be GodMode etc on highest difficulty. What's the issue?

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
"religious shit like that in the face of so much potential science does disgust me as well"

One of last comments from Discord trannies at Encased chat. Yesterday tranny demanded from devs to ban user who rated picture of zer Encased character (women with beard) with laughing emoji. Devs declined [based]. Discord corrupts body and soul. I swear to God, Discord is 10th circle of Hell

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
All you had to do was let young white men be sedated with quality RPGs, and slowly you would have boild the frog. But ZOG was impatient. I guess I'll spend my thirties bathing in blood of... :) Psst! Good Night, Comrades. Enjoy Encased

Trithne

Erudite
"religious shit like that in the face of so much potential science does disgust me as well"

One of last comments from Discord trannies at Encased chat. Yesterday tranny demanded from devs to ban user who rated picture of zer Encased character (women with beard) with laughing emoji. Devs declined [based]. Discord corrupts body and soul. I swear to God, Discord is 10th circle of Hell

I mean, it's not like these people are being presented with what might as well be miracles on a near daily basis, right? And that attempting to science said miracles brought retribution upon them?

Some people just cannot put themselves in any mindset other than reddit.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
After some more hours in, I have to agree with the general feeling: it's a great game marred by bad choices in design and mechanics. I'm still liking it a lot, but devs need to get their shit together.

An unexpected cool aspect: I've almost made back the game's cost by selling those dumb steam cards. Who the hell are the dipshits paying for that crap?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:whatho:

Just updated and fucked up me save and had to restart,fine was in the beginning anyway. But now i can't change me key bindings and shit.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
I mean, it's not like these people are being presented with what might as well be miracles on a near daily basis, right? And that attempting to science said miracles brought retribution upon them?
There's nothing unusual about a theistic scientist in the first place, especially during the 20th century and ESPECIALLY given the context that the world's best and brightest can't make heads or tails of anything going on and all their preconceptions and understandings are failing them.
Really bizarre how there's always someone having a tantrum whenever there is a whiff of any religious themes even in cases like this where it's just light worldbuilding.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
What do you guys think - when GOG will update the game?
Like, it's Saturday now - when do you think there will be update for Encased, cause I use gog-demo version.
I feel it could be Monday or even worse?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom