Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ending Slides are a Cope

Ending slides

• incline

• decline

• (kc) incel whine

Results are only viewable after voting.

Quillon

Arcane
I generally don't mind the slides but

But more often than not (especially in recent years) they have been used as a cop-out to show the "consequences" for every single stupid action you've taken (you kicked a puppy in act 1 and that ruined the kids in the village for loife!!!) without bothering to expose you to them through gameplay, because that's 2hard and/or costs 2much effort.

directly reminded me of port maje ending in deadfire, just cos I did Maia's quest

The mysterious deaths of Governor Clario and Storm Speaker Ikawha provoke hostilities between the Vailian settlers and the Huana residents. What starts with angry words escalates to retaliatory killings as each side blames the another.

By the time anyone bother to question the strange coincidences surrounding their deaths - including reports of a cloaked aumaua woman seen in both the port and the village - both sides have gone too far to turn back.

happened. bitch, how good it could have been to return to port maje - the prologue island in the last act to try to prevent the said events or deal with the aftermath... but instead we got "you did her fetch quest this is what you got" in the slides
rating_negativeman.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Probably the reason Fallout 2 didn't continue with the story of the Vault Dweller and did the time jump, if you think about it. They could have easily done a sequel immediately set after the end of the first part, but the ending slides probably killed that

Fallout 2 went with a canon ending so it doesn't matter what the ending slides were.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Probably the reason Fallout 2 didn't continue with the story of the Vault Dweller and did the time jump, if you think about it. They could have easily done a sequel immediately set after the end of the first part, but the ending slides probably killed that
Fallout 2 went with a canon ending so it doesn't matter what the ending slides were.
they were still limited by slides, they only had freedom of picking some of them as a canon.

Narax

Educated
Good examples are Witcher 2 and 3, and Dishonored, these games’ ending slides are nicely put together and explain the consequences of your choices in a good summery.

A shit example is Dragon Age Shitquistion, where the ending slides take around 5 minutes to explain the “consequences” of your choices, even the most mundane of choices.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I thought TW1 was pretty good regarding C&C, but it's been a couple of years since I played it. IIRC your actions would have consequences unfold during the game.

grimace

Arcane
https://af.gog.com/game/aquanox_deep_descent?as=1649904300

Full ending is locked behind a DLC wall.

October 16, 2020
The game is not worth purchasing for this fact alone until that extremely disturbing choice is rectified.

Why pay for an ending when you'll never complete the game to see it?

After you complete the game you can pay to see the ending!

Edit:

"Extended Ending Scene (Coming Soon)."

Don't complete the game just yet. They haven't published the ending. But you can pre-pay for the DLC ending (that doesn't exist yet).

Last edited by a moderator:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
they were still limited by slides, they only had freedom of picking some of them as a canon.

I don't see how this makes a difference. The ending slides are the result of your in-game choices.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
The ending slides are the result of your in-game choices.
The ending slides are the arbitrary interpretation of your choices by the developer. And how easy slides can be changed! Original ending slides for Junktown had Gizmo as the best outcome for the city, turning it into a little Vegas and Killian as a worse one, with his harsh judgement and love for gallows. This was reversed and Gizmo became the negative choice with Killian becoming positive. This change didn't affected any of the dialogues or quests, it only changed the meaning of player's choice post-factum.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The ending slides are the arbitrary interpretation of your choices by the developer. And how easy slides can be changed! Original ending slides for Junktown had Gizmo as the best outcome for the city, turning it into a little Vegas and Killian as a worse one, with his harsh judgement and love for gallows. This was reversed and Gizmo became the negative choice with Killian becoming positive. This change didn't affected any of the dialogues or quests, it only changed the meaning of player's choice post-factum.

And I'm glad they went with that logical outcome as opposed to an absurd gotcha. None of the other endings are gotchas.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I wouldn't even call them ending slides. They're more like a powerpoint presentation. I'd prefer either nothing or a time skip where I can at least have conversations. I really larian but what they did at the end of dos2 on the ship where you can talk to your companions and get their thoughts on your decision went in a good direction

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I wouldn't even call them ending slides. They're more like a powerpoint presentation. I'd prefer either nothing or a time skip where I can at least have conversations. I really larian but what they did at the end of dos2 on the ship where you can talk to your companions and get their thoughts on your decision went in a good direction

This was my favorite part of the game. And the ending was similar to the ending of Castaway where Tom Hanks finds himself at a crossroads, he can go anywhere in a world full of possibilities. In Divinity OS2 you end on a ship in the open sea, and you feel like you can sail anywhere you want to in a world of more fantastical possibilities. I immediately hoped for a sequel or DLCs to continue the story.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I immediately hoped for a sequel or DLCs to continue the story.
I immediately hoped larian studios went bankrupt and weren't able to influence anybody with their shit game design philosophy but being left on a boat with your companions was something I thought was good.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
I imagine end slides are cheap but effective.

I did like the fact the DLCs in New Vegas had "end slides" but wish they'd traded that for reactivity and changes in the core game although it sounds like some of those options got shut down along with post-endgame exploration.

I think a more nuanced perspective is that ending slides shouldn't be a crutch for a lack of visible choices in game.

They also shouldn't be a replacement for a proper ending to a game's main storyline.

That said, I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with giving the player more perspective on some of the long term consequences of their choices (that might not be visible within the time frame of the story).

Agree x2

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Endings with slides are better than endings without slides.

Looking at Planescape Torment in particular, but I suppose the idea there was to fill you with disappointment so it succeeds in that regard.

I always imagined the Nameless One marching off to Tides of Numenera so the disappointment for the player was magnified.

I'm on a journey, dozens of hours long

Dozens of hours is a weaksauce RPG

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom