Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Endless Legend, fantasyland trying to fix Endless Space's flaws

DramaticPopcorn

You can safely ignore pretty much all dlc apart from perhaps the guardians. The shifters one is even more pointless then the shadows and both added factions aren't particularly interesting.
Shifters added a shitton of city expansion and pearl hunting mechanics. It's much better than guardians which is basically 3 new unit templates.

As far as uninteresting factions, that's like your (shit) opinion, man

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I won't lie, I loled p hard at "pearl hunting mechanics". But yeah, like I said, adding what's basically a "gather 100 coins for 1up" to a 4X is imo a spectacularly horrible idea and there's literally 1000 of less retarded ways they could've done that. Especially considering the animation speed of EL.

For your sake I'll assume that "3 unit templates" is some weird codespeak for wonders and deeds. Those aren't that much, but still way better that what other dlcs offer.

RuySan

Augur
This game does so many great things (art, lore, distinct factions, questlines) that is more frustrating that they do some stuff so wrong.

- the AI is pretty terrible as it was already said, so at high difficulty settings it cheats way too much. To counter this, we are forced to micromanage our cities to try to keep up with the cheating AI. It's a bore, and it only gets worse when the empire gets big.

- Never liked to have to manually customise the armies weapons and armour. I'm an emperor, not a sergeant, meaning more micromanagement . I would prefer unique and distinctive armies, although I admit that with so many different factions that would be hard to pull off.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The AI was improved, but its biggest problem always was and still is not the cheating (standard for a 4X, I know that's not a good excuse, but still). It's the fact that it cannot play different factions properly, so the one of EL's biggest advantages gets effectively nullified outside of player's own actions. It's especially frustrating with the diplomatic and trade factions.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This game does so many great things (art, lore, distinct factions, questlines) that is more frustrating that they do some stuff so wrong.

- the AI is pretty terrible as it was already said, so at high difficulty settings it cheats way too much. To counter this, we are forced to micromanage our cities to try to keep up with the cheating AI. It's a bore, and it only gets worse when the empire gets big.

- Never liked to have to manually customise the armies weapons and armour. I'm an emperor, not a sergeant, meaning more micromanagement . I would prefer unique and distinctive armies, although I admit that with so many different factions that would be hard to pull off.
Well each faction soldiers have some unique abilities and powers so customization is not completely generic.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The AI was improved, but its biggest problem always was and still is not the cheating (standard for a 4X, I know that's not a good excuse, but still). It's the fact that it cannot play different factions properly, so the one of EL's biggest advantages gets effectively nullified outside of player's own actions. It's especially frustrating with the diplomatic and trade factions.
The diplomatic faction (reptile ones) are completely broken in hands of players and AI does not know how to abuse that shit. I would declare war, conquer one city and force truce :D
And do that shit all game to everyone :D

covr

Prophet
Patron
Finally caved in and bought it for 75% off in the latest sale on Steam. And it's a pretty fucking fantastic game. I've been an idiot to wait that long. I guess what put me off initially was that UI. It's wonderfully functional but the aesthetics is straight from Endless Space, slick, science-fictiony and all that. I prefer something more fairytaly in my fantasy game, then again the lore seems to be a mix of fantasy and SF from what I've gathered so far.

Bitching about UI may seem retarded but I bought Endless Space on launch and couldn't play it because the UI didn't scale and on my 22" monitor I couldn't see jackshit. Fucking developers making games on their 50" inch plasmas not realizing real people will play it on much smaller displays. When I booted up EL my eyes almost popped out when I saw the UI is just as microscopic but thankfully there's a "Big Screen UI" in the options. That gave me a laugh. Sounds like a concession to special needs players when in fact it's the only way you can reasonably play the game. :lol:

Nevermind all that shit, game seems great so far, final verdict coming soon.

EDIT: I didn't buy the Shadows DLC, I've never liked espionage systems, never played a 4X with a good one. Am I missing anything essential or can I safely ignore Shadows?

Since all DLCs except the latest one are cheaper than pack of chips you should get them. Sure, it adds tons of silly stuff e.g. chasing the winter pearls, but everything that has been added is to give more depth to the game. Almost every system has been broadened, there are new fractions, new quests and new features you might master or just ignore (like spying). However AI will sometimes use that new stuff to fuck you over, spying is a good example.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sitrep, still having a lot of fun but combat is weird. I'd say it's shit but I'll have to see more. Manual option seems completely worthless since the fights have the exact same outcome on Auto too. Granted, I'm playing on normal and so far I've fought only one or two armies at once.

mitochondritom

Educated
I actually find the opposite and manual combat can absolutely mean a win vs an autocombat loss and ensure you don't throw away units in an evenly matched autocombat battle. I think it something to do with the autobattle not knowing how to use archers properly or how to move units to let reinforcements in. I also suspect it cant prioritise sacrificing city militia and not actual units.

Similarly this is true of the enemy AI in manual battles. Once you get going its often much easier to autbattle and take the sacrifices rather than fight many tedious battles, but for the first few eras its better to manually resolve.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Sitrep, still having a lot of fun but combat is weird. I'd say it's shit but I'll have to see more. Manual option seems completely worthless since the fights have the exact same outcome on Auto too. Granted, I'm playing on normal and so far I've fought only one or two armies at once.
It depends a lot on what you are playing and who you are battling against. For example if you are running masses of weak units and autocombat vs mass killer enemies you will be fucked. But you can abuse their abilities if you do manual combat (I have a post about that in one of the few pages back in this topic).

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Without a doubt the best part of the latest update/dlc is that you can prevent 2-3 versions of the same enemy from being randomly selected at start. Damn that was annoying but at least it only took them 2 years to fix.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I wish they'd do that for Endless Space too. Fighting against 3 Cravers every. Fucking. Time. gets a little old.

I actually quoted myself because I received no answer to the quoted query. I'd like to know if Tempest is worth buying. I like Endless Legend.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Recently tried to play online with some friends and we had the super weird problem that AI turns* were taking minutes (!!!) to resolve.
With all people having good enough machines to play against more AI enemies in single player with normal turn times (a couple seconds).

Internet connection can't be the problem as we were all on good connections.

*Which is weird in itself as I was under the impression that turns are simultaneous.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Am I the only one who gets headache from trying to play this game? There is something fucked up in it.

Maybe an action game would be more suitable for you. :troll:

I don't even know why I'm still subscribed to this thread. Wut?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Nah, I mean the visuals or the UI or something.
Maybe your brain rejects this game because of lack of romances?

What you mean? There are plenty of romances in the game.

In the tutorial itself you romance the "sisters of mercy" or whatever they are called. My troops have romanced lots of beastfolk since then.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Just bought this game on steam sales. WTF, how come I missed this for almost 3 years!? This gaem is bretty gud!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom