Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Energy weapons in Fallout 1?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I'm currently playing an energy weapons build, does anyone know the first chance I'd have to get my hands on one?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Two options I can think of:

1. The glow. loot the underpowered parts. There's a plasma pistol there. I think there's also a plasma rifle on the 5th (might be 4th, can't remember) floor but you have to fight through that and it's difficult if you're low level.
2. plasma rifle/laser gatling at the Bone Yard gun runners. The deathclaws have never been a problem as I've been able to run through the area they are on without ever dying. Just stay as far away from them as possible and if you catch the attention of one of them, don't stop to fight, keep going. bring a few thousand caps with you though.

I should note that my general route is to loot the glow (minus the level inaccessible without full power) then sell the stuff I get at the gun runners in the boneyard and grab a plasma rifle from them.

TripJack

Hedonist
If I remember the first one I got was the plasma rifle in the Glow. Some supermutants carry energy weapons too, which possibly includes the supermutant dude at necropolis. I never messed with any of the energy pistols, but you might be able to get one earlier.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Damn. I thought that maybe after I was able to ask about "something a little more exotic" in the Hub that I would be able to get one there.

Don't the super mutants in Necropolis have some?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Put it this way bro if energy weapons was anywhere viable for tagging meaning it would have helped straight from the beginning I would have perhaps remembered enough to deviate from my small guns / melee weapons characters.

As it is what you're doing is larping :smug:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
sgc_meltdown said:
Put it this way bro if energy weapons was anywhere viable for tagging meaning it would have helped straight from the beginning I would have perhaps remembered enough to deviate from my small guns / melee weapons characters.

As it is what you're doing is larping :smug:

There's no point in tagging small guns, you can grab books to raise it to a respectable level early on. Seeing how you can get a plasma rifle without having to fight anything (radx at the hub -> loot glow -> boneyard gun runners) you don't really need them at all. If anything tagging small guns is larping.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Dicksmoker said:
Well I was giving Fallout the benefit of the doubt on this one.

The balance is fine on weapons actually. Small guns are useful to newbies who don't know where shit is. energy weapons are for the all-knowing fallout elite master race.

Actually combat is so much more effective than everything else in the game that you can just tag both with no repercussions. :M

Raapys

Arcane
First time I tagged energy weapons I got lucky and found a downed UFO right after starting, which had a fancy energy pistol in it. Pretty much insta-gibbed everything right from the start.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Mastermind said:
you don't really need them at all

Seeing as how you can complete the game without fighting anything, you don't need weapons at all. If anything tagging combat skills is larping.

Weapons are useful to newbies who don't know where shit is. Nuclear bomb sequences are for the all-knowing fallout elite master race.

schluberlubs

Educated
The earliest energy weapon I've found is the plasma Glock In the necropolis sewers. It's In the same section as the ghouls hiding from Set and Is at the end of a passage defended by rats, on the body of a dead ghoul.

The P. Glock Is comparable to the Blade Runner .223 pistol.

Surprised no one mentioned this yet, thought It was relatively easy to find.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
sgc_meltdown said:
Mastermind said:
you don't really need them at all

Seeing as how you can complete the game without fighting anything, you don't need weapons at all. If anything tagging combat skills is larping.

Weapons are useful to newbies who don't know where shit is. Nuclear bomb sequences are for the all-knowing fallout elite master race.

It's easier and more satisfying to shoot your way through everything than to sneak in and detonate the bomb. Combat = RPG true bro. Anything else is larping.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
schluberlubs said:
The P. Glock is comparable to the Blade Runner .223 pistol.

Not really. While they definitely are base damage wise

PP - 15-35
.223 - 20-35

The 223 round reduces both AC and DR by 20%, while small energy cells don't have modifiers. On top of that, 223 is a hunting rifle round so it's cheap and plentiful.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
schluberlubs said:
The earliest energy weapon I've found is the plasma Glock In the necropolis sewers. It's In the same section as the ghouls hiding from Set and Is at the end of a passage defended by rats, on the body of a dead ghoul.

The P. Glock Is comparable to the Blade Runner .223 pistol.

Surprised no one mentioned this yet, thought It was relatively easy to find.

I've never found it before. If I was inclined to install and play fallout again I'll... probably ignore it again as i have a plasma rifle by the time I get to necropolis.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Mastermind said:
It's easier and more satisfying to shoot your way through everything than to sneak in and detonate the bomb. Combat = RPG true bro. Anything else is larping.

Shooting my way through everything with small guns that I paid for or looted off fresh corpses starting from the first area = True bro.

Skipping areas and metagaming to get plasma rifle without fighting anything = easy mode larping.

:smug:

sgc_meltdown said:
Mastermind said:

Shooting my way through everything with small guns that I paid for or looted off fresh corpses starting from the first area = True bro.

Skipping areas and metagaming to get plasma rifle without fighting anything = easy mode larping.

Basically this.

But I played Fallout's so many times that I ALWAYS end up getting overpowered items early on.

schluberlubs

Educated
sgc_meltdown said:
schluberlubs said:
The P. Glock is comparable to the Blade Runner .223 pistol.

Not really. While they definitely are base damage wise

PP - 15-35
.223 - 20-35

The 223 round reduces both AC and DR by 20%, while small energy cells don't have modifiers. On top of that, 223 is a hunting rifle round so it's cheap and plentiful.
Ah, I brain farted. Now I remember what gun I felt It was comparable to, the RR LE BB gun (25-25).

Edit: Scratch that, I think the RR LE BB gun only needs 4 Ap while the P. Glock needs 5 Ap.

The Plasma Glock Is still handy considering Its easy and early to get.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
sgc_meltdown said:

You must be a true bro if you looted guns off rats. :smug:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Mastermind said:
You must be a true bro if you looted guns off rats.

Everyone is a rat if you're using small guns instead of running around and not playing the game until you get a high level weapon like a plasma rifle. :smug:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
sgc_meltdown said:
Mastermind said:

If you need to metagame in order to make a build work, the fault is with the designers.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Dicksmoker said:
sgc_meltdown said:
Mastermind said:

If you need to metagame in order to make a build work, the fault is with the designers.

Fallout's skill system is utter shit already with half the skills being useless. Be glad you can metagame to make energy weapons work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom