Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Energy weapons in Fallout 1?

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
High luck + jinxed + pariah dog.... results in interesting critical failures for the enemy. The boss of v15 blew himself up when he tried to shoot me with his flamer... took out the guys around him too. Granted sulik chopped off his own leg and vic shot his own eye out, but that was no less hilarious.
Ahhh the joy of Fallout :) My favorite was a super mutant in the military base (Fallout 1) that exploded himself AND the mutant standing next to him with his rocket launcher.

Or ones like this:
2gt14aq.jpg

DraQ

Arcane
Hahaha, this had me laughing really hard.

In light of your other statements, I think the only unbalancing aspect, even if given with ammo, is cost -- those weapons can be traded away for a decent amount of cash.

However, that could even be avoided as well -- a copy of the .PRO files for the weapon could be made, wherein all stats are identical except the caps value, which would be set to like 50 or some shit.
That's beyond retarded:
"hey, you have this awesomely useful item but I won't pay much for it because no."

You can make one of two things, though:
-Make player really need those monies.
-Make early merchant unable to pay you more thna fraction of price in cash, while paying in items will get you much less value per weight and force you to to get feleeced twice before finally making cash, making it more worthwhile to actually hang onto the item for a while.

Yes, fuck you, couldn't have said it better myself.

Edit: You know, seriously, you know what you do in that situation, if not being able to use energy weapons instantly even though you tagged it bothers you so much: START THE FUCKING GAME OVER YOU DUMB FUCK AND MAKE A NEW CHARACTER. What kind of pussy ass bitch rpg players are you faggots? Fuck off and stop playing Fallout.

Edit 2: No, it's not larping, it's fine that you can tag energy weapons at the start because it is a video game and the options makes it more fun. Wanting some realistic reason for why you are or are not able to tag energy weapons at the start of the game is larping.

DONUT CRITACIZE MAI GAEM U HATER :cry:

The game is good, no need to resort to "b-b-b-but it's a feature!" bullshit for every little problem it has.

Being able to talk your way through a quest that looked like it would end in a bloodbath is fun. Getting cool little messages during combat is fun. Being free to investigate the gameworld instead of being railroaded is fun. Investing in a skill and not finding use for it is the opposite of fun.

See, I can easily mention more good things about the game than bad ones, doesn't mean I'll turn a blind eye to the latter. Save the LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT hissy fit for someone else.
Would :bro: twice.

I hate retards assuming that if they like a game, it's automatically perfect in every aspect and impervious to all criticism.

One of my favourite games is Morrowind and yet I could probably keep shitting on it for better part of the weekm day after day, for its numerous failings and wouldn't run out of broken shit to complain about.
And guess fucking what: Fallout is also broken more often that it is not. So is Daggerfall, PS:T and fucking Arcanum. Pretty much everything anyone here likes is fucked up in often horribly retarded ways. What makes those games good is what they did right.

High luck + jinxed + pariah dog.... results in interesting critical failures for the enemy. The boss of v15 blew himself up when he tried to shoot me with his flamer... took out the guys around him too. Granted sulik chopped off his own leg and vic shot his own eye out, but that was no less hilarious.
Ahhh the joy of Fallout :) My favorite was a super mutant in the military base (Fallout 1) that exploded himself AND the mutant standing next to him with his rocket launcher.

Or ones like this:
2gt14aq.jpg
I need to fucking replay Fallout.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Didn't say it was perfect. Fallout has problems the same as any other game; the fact that you don't get an energy weapon at the start of the game just because you put points into it isn't one of them. Nothing you said is new, you're not an intelligent individual for pointing out the fact that all games are flawed, it's obvious, bringing that fact up doesn't lend any strength to your argument.

You don't get an energy weapon at the start of the game if you tag energy, however you will have an advantage in skill when eventually you do find an energy weapon and won't have to divert as many points into as someone who didn't tag it; the fact is that you don't need the high levels of any non-combat skill until later in the game anyway (say, around the time when you get energy weapons), so tagging any skill over energy is not going to give you any extreme advantage early on. I can see the issue if you only chose to tag Energy as your weapons skill, but even in that case I have to assume the person put points in PE and AG so it wouldn't be difficult to get Small Guns up to a decent level in order to deal with rats and retarded rangers.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
the person put points in PE

BTW, there's another thing about not-tagging small guns - with high enough PE you can hit plenty of things without actually having high weapon skill. Weapons with range >25 gain 16% to-hit chance per point of perception, meaning that you can have minuscule small guns skill (and you won't because, you know, the default agility of 10) and still hit plenty of things with your hunting rifle at range or with smg at close quarters. Not-tagging small guns and putting your points elsewhere even has the silver lining of guns&bullets journals becoming actually useful - if you're bringing the skill to 100 with your first level up then obviously you won't gain any bonuses from them.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Yeah, but by that point you're like halfway through the game and can take most of what's thrown your way unless you really suck at combat - which is why Gurkog said tagging energy is a waste; getting a jumpstart in it doesn't matter if you'll only be able to make use of the skill after you've gained enough experience to level it normally to a satisfactory %.
Energy Weapons are very useful in the late game. If anything they are still not deadly enough, not a waste. Late game requires lots of firepower and plasma rifle still doesn't kill reliably with eye shots.
Also, if you won't tag it in the beginning, you either have to sacrifice one perk to get a tag or you have to spend ~100 skill points on developing the skill.

Reminds me of someone who said that in FO2 melee was just as awesome as small guns once you get Slayer...which comes at level 18.
I think that it would be good if it would be possible to get deadlier melee perks at lower levels than ranged ones. After all the default melee skill is higher than ranged.

BTW, there's another thing about not-tagging small guns - with high enough PE you can hit plenty of things without actually having high weapon skill. Weapons with range >25 gain 16% to-hit chance per point of perception, meaning that you can have minuscule small guns skill (and you won't because, you know, the default agility of 10) and still hit plenty of things with your hunting rifle at range or with smg at close quarters. Not-tagging small guns and putting your points elsewhere even has the silver lining of guns&bullets journals becoming actually useful - if you're bringing the skill to 100 with your first level up then obviously you won't gain any bonuses from them.
And this too. Again, shitty players making a problem of something that isn't one.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Wait, jinxed and paria dog are cumulative?

Getting pariah dog autamatically gives you jinxed and drops your luck to 1 so no they're not cumalative.

Yeah, because the idea of being able to handle a rocket launcher because you can shoot a pistol pretty well isn't stupid. They did that in New Vegas anyway.
Difference between handling pistol and assault rifle or sniper rifle, or rocket launcher and minigun is hardly smaller. And basic idea is the same - line up barrel with enemy and press a button. You just need enough strength to be able to do that with heavy guns.

Their recoils are different and considering this is post-apocalyptic universe they are probably not in top condition. Plus using close to mid range weapons are really different than long range weapons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom