Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Perkel

Arcane
Perkel's answer for EVERY argument: "LOL, who cares about that"

How is your 8mb memory card ? When did you have to erase your saves in order to play new game ?
You behave like a fucking kid in store who gets keychain from retailer for your purchase and you act like heavens answered to your prayers and it changed your life.

Fact is that Epic cuts down store share and it forced Steam to do the same (though in limited way)
While it might not be immediate thing to consumer it will lead to more games being profitable.

I doubt Battle Brother devs wouldn't like such a thing or Vault Dweller which would lead to more/better games from them.

That is significant change mate. And it only happened because of Epic store.
None of this keychain-like shit you never use but act like god is talking to you.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

How is your 8mb memory card ? When did you have to erase your saves in order to play new game ?
You behave like a fucking kid in store who gets keychain from retailer for your purchase and you act like heavens answered to your prayers and it changed your life.

Fact is that Epic cuts down store share and it forced Steam to do the same (though in limited way)
While it might not be immediate thing to consumer it will lead to more games being profitable.

I doubt Battle Brother devs wouldn't like such a thing or Vault Dweller which would lead to more/better games from them.

None of this keychain-like shit you never use but act like god is talking to you.

This is the hill you choose to die on?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
A lot of masks falling off iTT and true colours finally come into the light. When I started ripping into Steam I've had no idea there are Codexers that are not just fine with Steam. Not just "meh what can you do, Steam is a thing". No, they are super pro-Steam. Steam fanboys. Steam loyalists. The highest possible stage of the Stockholm syndrome. I honestly failed to fathom that coz this level of tribal loyalty usually only happens when there are actual tribes. Win vs. Mac. Sony vs. Xbox. Nvidia vs. AMD. With just one brand on the market tribalism doesn't make sense. Still it happened.

To be fair, save for its shock-and-awe brutal rise to power Steam has been a relatively benevolent dictator. They always knew of the potential threat from Microsoft, Amazon and others (bet they didn't see Epic coming) so they were trying not to step on people's necks too hard. Allow outside key sales to with the accompanying "we love gamers" corporate newspeak to promote the service, lock people in the platform through warmly sounding social features, give off the good-guy public vibe...all very nice, friendly things. Sure the 30% cut is brutal but that wasn't even widely know that until a while ago.

But overall they learned from Microsoft's mistakes - being universally hated is not good even if you can afford to not give a shit about what people think of you. Despite all the apparent benevolence I put this idea in the befuddled minds of Steam fanboys (still can't believe it's a thing) - without real competition you never know what the real potential of the market is. You may think the current monopolist is your wonderful, generous friend but only when other players start competing for you shekels you'll finally see if the previous monopolist was a helpful partner or a strangulating leech.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Is Perkel ignorant,

Except stores with much lower revenue share already exist. On itch you can give dev 100%. On Humble widget 95%. Epic is just being cunt while pretending to be a saint.

Perkel

Arcane
So that makes two of them better than Epic store.
It still means steam is shit because it is last.

:positive:

Paul_cz

Arcane
When I started ripping into Steam ITT I've had no idea there are Codexers that are not just fine with Steam. Not just "meh what can you do, Steam is a thing". No, they are super pro-Steam. Steam fanboys. Steam loyalists. The highest possible stage of the Stockholm syndrome. I honestly failed to fathom that coz this level of tribal loyalty usually only happens when there are actual tribes. Win vs. Mac. Sony vs. Xbox. Nvidia vs. AMD. With just one brand on the market tribalism doesn't make sense. Still it happened.

To be fair, save for its shock-and-awe brutal rise to power Steam has been a relatively benevolent dictator. They always knew of the potential threat from Microsoft, Amazon and others (bet they didn't see Epic coming) so they were trying not to step on people's necks too hard. Allow outside key sales to with the accompanying "we love gamers" corporate newspeak to promote the service, lock people in the platform through warmly sounding social features, give off the good-guy public vibe...all very nice, friendly things. Sure the 30% cut is brutal but that wasn't even widely know that until a while ago.

But overall they learned from Microsoft's mistakes - being universally hated is not good even if you can afford to not give a shit about what people think of you. Despite all the apparent benevolence I pust this idea in the befuddled minds of Steam fanboys - without real competition you never know what the real potential of the market is. You may think the current monopolist is your wonderful, generous friend but only when other players start competing for you shekels you'll finally see if the previous monopolist was a helpful partner or a strangulating leech.
You really are a fucking moron. Learn new thing every day. Here is the thing:

Nobody who currently likes Steam likes it because they are a fanboy. They like it for the convenience and features.

Let's pretend Epic is not a cunt, and instead of what they are currently doing, they do the following:

- Launch a store with feature parity with steam
- offer gog-connect-style feature to import games from steam to epic
- offer friends import as well
- have better, cleaner design with more useful library sorting and all that
- have better, friendlier revenue split to developers
- have self-funded first party exclusive games that would not exist if they didn't fund them

Do you seriously thing we would be having this discussion? No, everyone would be happy about Epic store coming to the fore and everyone would gladly switch over.

Paul_cz

Arcane
So that makes two of them better than Epic store.
It still means steam is shit because it is last.

The 30% has been industry standard used by everyone, from apple, google, gog, steam, GMG, everyone.
I don't disagree that it would be cool if everyone lowered it. But steam, unlike most others, actually offers lot of value in exchange for it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You really are a fucking moron.
Let's pretend Epic is not a cunt

I'm in a complete shock seeing what you actually are. I have never attacked you personally, I just ripped into Steam. A fucking corporation. And you came swinging, all cheek-blushed and angry.

A couple of pages ago I wrote a wall-o'-text serious, no-trolling, no-pushing-button post about the entire thing but you just repeat your low-brow, myopic BS about the eevul Epic. Epic is not the point, are you physically able to understand NOBODY loves Epic here? It's not about them specifically?

We've always got along great and I've tried to calm you down, offered peace. But if you insist on bellowing and screaming about me being moron with bulging eyes and spit on your chin because I said I hate a near-monopolistic status of a giant corporation then I'm telling you this my friend and compatriot - you ARE brainwashed. Scary brainwashed. And until you calm down and snap out of it I'm done with you.

Perkel

Arcane
The 30% has been industry standard used by everyone, from apple, google, gog, steam, GMG, everyone.
I don't disagree that it would be cool if everyone lowered it. But steam, unlike most others, actually offers lot of value in exchange for it.

Used to be. And now it is not standard anymore because there is big player who isn't afraid to spend big money to carve out part of market share which forced Steam to also lower a bit their prices for devs.
See how competition works ?

Sorry but i don't consider "Tesco Community Center" a valuable thing.

Do you seriously thing we would be having this discussion? No, everyone would be happy about Epic store coming to the fore and everyone would gladly switch over.

Yes because it is not about Epic store features but about Steam fanboys being salty about Epic getting exclusive release and forcing them to install Epic store if they want to play game.

Meanwhile they are fine with Steam launcher because they got fucked for so long that shape of their asshole has Gaben dick shape which makes them illogical because they argue one launcher over the other.

Last edited:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
You know these guys who are doing all these good things, and offer consumer friendly services? They are actually evil!

You know these other guys who are doing things like bribing publishers into making their games exclusive to their store? And don't offer any of the services of their competitor? They're the good guys!

God...all this time Valve has just been tricking us into using Steam by offering all sorts of useful features...how could I be so blind. I'm glad this thread has opened my eyes.

No shit that every one of these storefronts is at the end of the day run by a corporation whose end goal is to make money. So obviously people are going to choose to the one that offers more benefits to them personally as a customer. We've already seen very successful competition in the form of places like GOG who chose to approach from a different angle, with a focus on older games and being DRM free. On the other hand EPIC are a bunch of assholes who gave up on PC gaming until they hit it big with Fortnite, and now are attempting to bully their way back in by creating a Consolewar like situation where they bribe exclusivity from game makers.

Why would I care what cut the publishers get? I'm not a charity. The claims that all the customer friendly features that Valve offers with Steam are the equivalent of tricks while EPIC's obvious attempt to appear benevolent through this "developers first!" tactic, which has no discernible benefit to the consumer (beyond a supposedly lower price for games? although I have yet to see any real evidence for that, most of the AAA games on their store are still $60, and I'm not going to take some indie devs word when they say they were going to have to give their game a higher price if they went with Steam.) is really baffling.

Frankly the sort of visibility and world wide reach even the smallest indie developer can get through a service like Steam was completely unprecedented in the age of brick and mortar stores just a few years ago, so a 30% cut seems more than fair in exchange for access to such market potential.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
You really are a fucking moron.
Let's pretend Epic is not a cunt

I'm in a complete shock seeing what you actually are. I have never attacked you personally, I just ripped into Steam. A fucking corporation. And you came swinging, all cheek-blushed and angry.

Epic Games Inc. is a charity for you? Fucking retard.

Steezus

Savant
Patron

I'm sure a brave autist like you backs up his saves on an external HDD every 3 hours, but synchronizing saves with the cloud is actually a godsend.

Perkel

Arcane
You know these guys who are doing all these good things, and offer consumer friendly services? They are actually evil!

No they are just normal company that looks out for competition.
They didn't give you those "features" because they love you.
They gave you those because they feared MS and other competitors who could start to nab at their revenue.

Same exact reason why most of shops these days have "memberships" and other crap.
sales 101 for guilable people

And now you will have to walk from Tesco to Wallmart to buy your game and your Tesco membership points will mean nothing, so your Tesco level, tesco good goi award also will not mean much.

I'm sure a brave autist like you backs up his saves on an external HDD every 3 hours, but synchronizing saves with the cloud is actually a godsend.

Yes because you will maybe once in several years go back to game just to play from exact same moment where you left your game out. Or maybe you reinstall system every 2 days and you can't play game in one sitting.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

Literally what I just said in my fucking post. Please learn to read.

Perkel

Arcane

No you argued that what he said is about evil companies, miss-interpreting his post.
So yeah learn to read mate.

Dexter

Arcane
Is Perkel ignorant
Honestly, especially from all the AMD shilling and weird posts he makes in the "Science" section, I always thought he might have some sort of brain damage. Often he manages to post things that don't really even have anything to do with the topic at hand or are just confused, incoherent or bizarre, far away from making any sort of coherent point, let alone sense although he has his spells of lucidity every now and then.

Last edited:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

No you argued that what he said is about evil companies, miss-interpreting his post.
So yeah learn to read mate.
No shit that every one of these storefronts is at the end of the day run by a corporation whose end goal is to make money.

Perkel

Arcane
If Metro devs decided to make it exlusive without Epic money no one would be kicking here because they would know Metro devs are just stupid and sooner or later they will go back to Steam.

Epic spending money is what scares steam negroes here. Because they know Metro is not the end and soon some games they actually like will end up as Epic store exclusives. So they will have to leave their Tesco Community Center and all of their Tesco awards, Tesco levels will mean nothing.

case in point:

Except stores with much lower revenue share already exist. On itch you can give dev 100%. On Humble widget 95%. Epic is just being cunt while pretending to be a saint.

You know full well that none of them could be competitor to steam. Epic can because they are floating with money.
And this is what scares you. Because "features" you speak of mean nothing when you have to pick store to play actual game you want.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And now you will have to walk from Tesco to Wallmart to buy your game and your Tesco membership points will mean nothing, so your Tesco level, tesco good goi award also will not mean much.
Yes. But also, you have to walk to Wallmart where there are no toilets, everything is covered with shit, there are no customer service, the shelves are ancient, the shop layout is abysmal, the parking lot is full of mud and garbage. Unfortunately you have to use that shit place, because your favourite biscuit is only available in Wallmart. Great, you are forced to walk into a far inferior shop which doesn't offer any benefit. But you just keep feeling good. At least they showed Tesco.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
A lot of masks falling off iTT and true colours finally come into the light. When I started ripping into Steam I've had no idea there are Codexers that are not just fine with Steam. Not just "meh what can you do, Steam is a thing". No, they are super pro-Steam. Steam fanboys. Steam loyalists. The highest possible stage of the Stockholm syndrome. I honestly failed to fathom that coz this level of tribal loyalty usually only happens when there are actual tribes. Win vs. Mac. Sony vs. Xbox. Nvidia vs. AMD. With just one brand on the market tribalism doesn't make sense. Still it happened.
Man, you're going full chimpout roqua style and projecting like a mofo at the same time:lol: This thread is really... wait for it... epic.

Go take a walk and let of some steam bro. The fact you're sharing a perch with perkel should give you a hint.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Man, you're going full chimpout roqua style and projecting like a mofo at the same time:lol: This thread is really... wait for it... epic.

That's your third post ITT, a third shitposting jumble of faux "lel look at these retards lel" oneliners. You do tend to be on the edgy/weaponized autism side but usually you have at least something caloric to say.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Is Perkel ignorant
Honestly, especially from all the AMD shilling and weird posts he makes in the "Science" section, I always thought he might have some sort of brain damage. Often he manages to post things that don't really even have anything to do with the topic at hand or are just confused, incoherent or bizarre, far away from making any sort of coherent point, let alone sense although he has his spells of lucidity every now and then.

He may have retarded opinions, but you, mister "VR and Ray Tracing are the future of gaming", calling him shill is funny.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's your third post ITT, a third shitposting jumble of faux "lel look at these retards lel" oneliners.
This thread does not deserve anything else.

EDIT: LOL, now with some added Nvidia/AMD slapfight. What a value!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom