Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Eschalon Book II Released for Windows

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Sounds nice. I'd buy it for 25PLN.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
im gonna buy it as first book. It may not be one of best games but its fun (at least book 1 is)

Saxon1974

Prophet
I have played it a little bit.

Initial impressions:

- New larger resolution is great, screen looks must crisper.

- new GUI is a bit better looking.

- Nice new intro story, nicely done.

- New graphic tiles look very good.

- Really like the changes to force consistent results when opening chests.

Having played enough to see if new combat options make much of a diff.

The amount of polish to this game is very impressive considering it's mainly one guy that made it.

I agree with Azrael, support the Dev if you want to see more Turn based RPG's in the future.

Mortmal

Arcane
I ve tried demo as well, theres good things like for the first one, hunger thirst, disease, light and day cycle but alas its still bland, shoot away enemies that can hardly hit back , rest, rince repeat, its turn base but only one character, and that character has not many tactical options available. I design my character hoping my choices arent too bad, as theres no way to know how widely avalaible armor is or even wich spells will be available to you but fair enough i am up to a challenge.
I start a very cliché quest :a note in front of my house then i encounter a rat.. oh i head west to eastwillow then my contact who tell me basically i am the descendant of a guild of chosen ones is mysteriously assassinated, i diddnt see that coming..*yawn*.
Obvioulsy no one give a damn about it in town, not even in the inn, you could have told him you spilled some wine in the room, same result,randomly killing people in their houses dont seems to cause any reactions as well.
One guy work ok, but that doesnt prevent good plots, we are speaking of bad neverwinter modules plot level there.
Overal its pretty, pretty graphics, nice music , not awesome but pretty enough like old 2D games. Well its my opinion of the short demo, but i hardly see myself putting 25$ into it to check further.
You say you must pay more for quality items clothes etc, support dev so they dont end up like troika, but frankly its nothing close of troika even put into perspective.

Thrasher

Erudite
Well there you have it. Is it worth $25? I'd probably prefer A6....

Texas Red

Whiner
Is this game mostly about combat or is there some good quality conversations and story telling in it?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Elwro said:
Black_Willow said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Sounds nice. I'd buy it for 25PLN.
This.
And to think that you can have Arcanum for a mere 10PLN...
This.

I'll still buy the Linux version when it gets released. I want good indies to succeed.
Good indies would sell it to us for 25PLN. Like World of Goo, for example. Respect the Work and the Fatherland.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Good indies would sell it to us for 25PLN. Like World of Goo, for example. Respect the Work and the Fatherland.
I'd rather pay online, since the payment goes directly to the indie in question.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I don't mind paying online. 25$ is 3x too much of my work for that game, though. After all, if it would be worth 25$ of my work, then it would be sold for 75$ in the west :smug: .

Micmu

Magister
Great. Anyone finished it yet? First one was ridiculously short (Vogel makes demos longer than that), let's hope this one is properly big.

Repressed Homosexual
Bought.

Look at all the guys pirating from indies. Pathetic. The same ones who will cry that they're not catered to anymore and that every new game is a shooter in the next thread.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
I would torrent it except that I am extremely unlikely to maintain interest beyond the demo area as all games in this genre come off as hideously inferior to DC:SS.

So I'll just download the demo... sometime.

Castanova

Prophet
I don't understand the obsession with controlling only one character in a mouse-based, isometric RPG. It just doesn't make any sense. Why spend 30 hours on a single character build when you can spend 30 hours on 4, 5, 6+ character builds? Why, as a designer, would you want to handcuff yourself in terms of encounter design? Why would you want to handcuff the player tactically? I'm starting to suspect that KotC 2 is the only indie RPG with a chance to dethrone KotC.

Rune_74

Novice
Well it is good to see that the codex has slipped even closer to crap. Mods, you allow open talk about pirating games here? Awesome.

As to those whining how they can't afford it and it should be theres anayways, I'm not sure what morals you learned in your country but wow you are a waste of oxygen.

Congratz to the people who have purchased it, you have at least 40+ hours of game ahead of you.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Buying this tomorrow. Book 1 was an alright game, nothing special but kept me interested enough to want the sequel.

Humanity has risen! said:
Look at all the guys pirating from indies. Pathetic. The same ones who will cry that they're not catered to anymore and that every new game is a shooter in the next thread.
Meh, it's just the usual small handful of desperate edgy Rosh wannabes who probably haven't even played any RPGs beyond the BIS/Troika/Obs/Bio offerings. Just ignore them, games like Knights of the Chalice are proof that a lot on the Codex likes and supports the RPG indies.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
lehphyro said:
Uh, if you're not planning on spending money anyway, it doesn't matter which game you pirate. No physical copy being removed from inventory, etc. No one is being "hit".
Yeah, $25 is too expensive. Remember, you have to multiply the amount in dollars by 2, 3 or even 5 to know how much it costs for people in poor countries. It's like people in US paying $60 for this game.
It's not a poor country if you have to pay "only" 2-3 x more. It's a country where people earn much more than most of the world's population earns, but less than in the richest countries.

Anyway, not removing from inventory doesn't fix the problem. We need to show them that we are willing to buy their games if they'll offer us a possibility of buying in scale to the work prices. Work, Nation and Fatherland must be our priority.

Azrael the cat said:
That's the kind of thinking that has stopped a niche market in hardcore crpgs from forming. If you want games aimed at anything other than the mass retards, you need to be prepared to pay more. Just as you do when paying for niche clothing, niche cars. niche books, just about niche everything. They lack the economies of scale that are available to the 'games for retards' makers.
I tried telling it to my employer once. He told something like "It's Poland, that's how much we pay for work here." despite that I have to deliver premium work by default. I can't work less or do work that isn't highest quality just because I feel that the work prices are too low.
Sorry, my work isn't any worse than work of a Kwan, so, similarly I won't give any privileges to developers, mainstream or niche, indie or not. And games should be premium by default.
If they give us a good offer, they won't lose anything but will gain more money. If I'll accept their current prices, I'll lose more work than it's worth.

ElectricOtter

I played it a little this afternoon. It's p. fun, but I might not buy it for a while until I finish Arx Fatalis.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom