Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

kangaxx

Arbiter
I was a long time sub of PC Zone, back when Brooker wrote for them. Sad how things have declined.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/paradox-plaza-official-forum-can-be-unpleasant-for-devs/152010/15

Game reviewer Tom Chick says Johan personally told him fuck you no more review copies because he hurt their aggregate review score with his Stellaris review. Are we shocked? We are not shocked. Johan is huge decline.
Johan did a lot of shit but "game reviewers" are, like, 10 times more shittier than any developer however rude he maybe. Especially those who constantly beg for "review copies" as they are known to shit on developers who refuse them disregarding on game content. at least Paradox oficially contacted severa lstreamers with challenges to search for exploits, to their credit.
Never trust a "game reviewer" like you never trust a jew.

kangaxx

Arbiter
I despise modern game journos, but to deny the pressure they're under from studios to deliver positive reviews is silly.

Edit: either way, the YouTubers without time pressure and who buy their own copies are the new standard anyway.

That said, anyone who actually denies that devs pressurise journos these days must have been living in a cave.
when i started my journo journey i was the only one with enough half-a-brain to focus on complicated games, which meant mostly from paradox. my first email to them was "i'm harsh, i can't be bribed, if you send me a poor product i'll show no mercy and trash it into oblivion". their answer "we don't expect any less". i actually humiliated shit like impire or ck2's aztec dlc, and in turn i got an interview with the ceo himself. where i proceeded to make fun of him for impire and ck2's aztec dlc.
no longer than 5 years ago.
humanity needs to die.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
not really, dude. Paradox’s problem is they can’t find enough ordinary developers. Good programmers are not the same things as randoms with basic coding abilities.

Furthermore, the reason games suck so often these days is exactly that issue of introducing people who are solely ‘managers’, especially via the marketing/HR/corporate world, with zero experience of actually making games. If you want to get into gamedev, go for it, but no one is going to give you the time of day if you don’t have some other skill set to bring to the table first. Not saying this to be harsh, there’s just a million people who think the exact same as you do.

tl;dr, you need to be able to demonstrate that you understand the problems inherent in large scale project coordination, particularly those that arise during gamedev, and that your opinions on those decisions are worth a damn in the first place.
LoL i know that shit love,there is plenty of wannabe coders and team leads. Reality is that quality people in both positions are lacking,especially in paradox. You will be hard pressed to find a good strong leader type of a man in sweden. I get what you mean and i do agree. But coders are a lot easier to come by than leaders,they get shitted out every year while there is not a school for leaders. They show themself in the work place. As I said,i am confident in me skills.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
It doesn't matter if the game lead is good or not when their goals for the game suck. Like Johan. Or the CK3 lead.

Silva

Arcane
Vicky, CK, Imperator, etc. all have interesting peacetime where you can ignore map-painting altogether

For about fifteen minutes.

CK is actually fun in peacetime. Ignore map painting and delve into plotting and wenching.
Any other Pdox game has better peacetime than EU1/2/3/4. The problem is that EU players got brain-damaged and now all they want is to map paint.

Wife: "Let's fuck honey"
mondblut : "Nah, Id rather map paint in my vidya"

:lol:

Higher Game

Arcane
if you time your bankruptcy abuse just right
i just can't see a way to win against ming in medieval times without abusing every possible exploit.
will you stop it now, please?

I actually just played Mongolia a while and I will say that Chinese vassal releasing does make them a lot harder now than before. I didn't use any bankruptcies just to see how things would go. The Mongolia Murder Machine is still there, but Ming is just too big to take before 1600 or so and the window of opportunity based around their reforms isn't there anymore if you aren't going to lean heavily on debt abuse at least once. Every country benefits from debt abuse but hordes most of all. I used horde/religious/quantity ideas and no syncretism so I literally had 100% cavalry armies. Anyone except Ming just melted away as fast as I could conquer them, and I didn't raze more than a handful of provinces. No one ever attacked me because I was the strongest Ming tributary, so it was a simple one sided expansion the entire time.

I will say that it's good to keep a footman stack just in case you get a 5/0/1/2 leader, etc.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Crusader kings has the best peacetime of all pdx games, and its basically designed that way.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Crusader kings has the best peacetime of all pdx games, and its basically designed that way.
How can people say this? CK2 has barely acceptable peace time. Technically ahead of EU4 but still not amazing. All the non-combat systems in CK2-3 feel like they are DLC hooks for Paradox. So shallow.

mondblut

Arcane
Wife: "Let's fuck honey"
mondblut : "Nah, Id rather map paint in my vidya"

2f1f1920d13320f0d31cc6cd05c267be.png

oh, yes, a question for the experts: which patch changed the military access system? back in my day, troops could walk only through friendly lands, now during war they can seemingly walk everywhere, nullifying any meaningful prepared forts layout.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
oh, yes, a question for the experts: which patch changed the military access system? back in my day, troops could walk only through friendly lands, now during war they can seemingly walk everywhere, nullifying any meaningful prepared forts layout.
Getting military access from other countries probably is the easiest interaction. Unless the AI is extremely outraged (in a coalition with -200 opinion), it always gives military access, even to rivals. But you're probably dealing with "conditional" military access: when you're in a war with someone, they get access to every province you have access to, and the same applies to you. You can see to which countries a nation has conditional military access in its diplomacy tab (just under the standard military access entry).

When did you play the game last time? Things have worked like this since the El Dorado DLC, which came out in 2015.

CK2 peacetime quickly devolves into clicking a billion times to upgrade your holdings and nothing else.
To me, it's just an unnecessarily detailed wedding planning simulator. Every couple of years I spend half an hour trying to find the best match for each unmarried courtier.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Getting military access from other countries probably is the easiest interaction. Unless the AI is extremely outraged (in a coalition with -200 opinion), it always gives military access, even to rivals. But you're probably dealing with "conditional" military access: when you're in a war with someone, they get access to every province you have access to, and the same applies to you. You can see to which countries a nation has conditional military access in its diplomacy tab (just under the standard military access entry).

When did you play the game last time? Things have worked like this since the El Dorado DLC, which came out in 2015.

CK2 peacetime quickly devolves into clicking a billion times to upgrade your holdings and nothing else.
To me, it's just an unnecessarily detailed wedding planning simulator. Every couple of years I spend half an hour trying to find the best match for each unmarried courtier.
The Ai access is a mess,some times everyone have an access,some times they have you don't and maybe some times it is vice versa.

LoL i don't care about sims aspect of ck games,it is really annoying. I just get some wenches with beautiful or other good traits and just kill the rest in holy wars. If i get bored with the drama i just give me king immortal trait and continue fuck the enemy. The sims aspect is just too unrealistic and retarded.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
How can people say this? CK2 has barely acceptable peace time. Technically ahead of EU4 but still not amazing. All the non-combat systems in CK2-3 feel like they are DLC hooks for Paradox. So shallow.
Whats so great about war in ck2? One decisive battle and then mop up time. In peacetime you have to raise an heir, manage your fiefs, manage your vassals, do your secret society shit and so on. What other pdx game has better peacetime?

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Whats so great about war in ck2? One decisive battle and then mop up time. In peacetime you have to raise an heir, manage your fiefs, manage your vassals, do your secret society shit and so on. What other pdx game has better peacetime?

In CK2 you have to raise vassals, buy mercs, manage retinue. Get general related stuff done. Couple other things. Some combat stuff can be done when not at war, though.

Also saying that no other Paradox game has better peace time isn't a high bar. Vicky has pretty intense peace time anyways. Even EU4 has a lot of different stuff to do. But all Paradox games have the potential for so much more stuff, especially CK2-3. Espionage is non-existent. Trade in CK2 doesn't exist. Etc.

Silva

Arcane
Better I don't know, but Vicky2 and Imperator have good peacetime too. The former focused on economics and pop management, the later on internal politics and cultures. In all those 3 you can ignore war altogether and the games will still be fun. The same can't be said for EU4.

I dont know Stellaris enough, but from vids it doesn't seem as good as the above trio in peacetime. But I would bet it's still better than EU4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom