Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

Mikeal

Arcane
Oy LMAO
kpq01bcqgww61.png

thesecret1

Arcane
Never banned someone for being critical of us
Of course not. You just labeled his criticism as "toxic" and then banned him for toxicity. Totally different thing.

We need to break the vicious cycle!
How about you do that by releasing good games instead of whining on the forums about people being mean?

The rest of the article is the usual nothing. A wall of text full of marketing fluff that has zero substance that basically tries to damage control by shiting the blame onto something abstract and intangible – note that nothing about the article is actually addressed, nor is there an apology present. The marketer just instantly diverted attention onto something else.

Also, am I the only one who gets rubbed wrong by the tone this is written in? It feels patronizing, like some dude explaining something to a kid with a big ol' smile on his face.

Narax

Educated
Lol so they're going for "we're all human beings" card now? they sound like a bunch of spineless wimps that can't handle feedback. Instead of dedicating an entire blog for a "feel bad for me" post they should have focused on discussing the dlc's issues and how they can fix them, but Paradox is too far gone at this point, so i don't expect much from them.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
they should have focused on discussing the dlc's issues and how they can fix them,
:nocountryforshitposters:
If they had those skills,they wouldn't have released such a broken shit. The developers they have at the moment are bottom of the barrel,they didn't released this mess just to troll retards on their forum lol. They couldn't fix this shit for half a year,yet people expect them to just fix it in day or two.

mondblut

Arcane
Whats so great about war in ck2? One decisive battle and then mop up time.

Imagine fighting only one war at a given time in CK2. All coreligionists of your enemy are gonna join up in religious defense either way, you might just as well DOW everybody at once and grab some turf from each and every one of them.

In peacetime you have to raise an heir, manage your fiefs, manage your vassals, do your secret society shit and so on.

Girl Life has way more content for the same kind of gameplay. And you don't have to watch the paint dry for hours for the next event to fire.

What other pdx game has better peacetime?

That's not a high bar to overcome.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Whats so great about war in ck2? One decisive battle and then mop up time.

Imagine fighting only one war at a given time in CK2. All coreligionists of your enemy are gonna join up in religious defense either way, you might just as well DOW everybody at once and grab some turf from each and every one of them.

In peacetime you have to raise an heir, manage your fiefs, manage your vassals, do your secret society shit and so on.

Girl Life has way more content for the same kind of gameplay. And you don't have to watch the paint dry for hours for the next event to fire.

What other pdx game has better peacetime?

That's not a high bar to overcome.
:shitandpiss:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The battle of titans is here,the highest rated game on steam and the lowest :smug:

OlzuDnB.png
Paradox games is one thing but the more important question: is Cuckold Simulator good?
Well it is filled with positive reviews,so it must be at least entertaining to people. You will end up experience the life of a democrat,so it will be a once in a lifetime experience.

Higher Game

Arcane
I know this is white pilling, but I actually really like how monuments and currying favors balance each other out (at least theoretically now). Monuments massively encourage no CB wars across the map, which makes admin points ever more dedicated to stability rather than coring since vassal feeding and annexing is so much better anyway, but now favor currying is competing for valuable diplomat time. Choices choices choices.

Leviathan is tragic. It has great ideas that are just terribly executed and outright buggy.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What's really tragic is that professional developers who get paid for their job can't even manage to implement features half as complex as what the biggest mods do for free without breaking the entire game.

I know this is white pilling, but I actually really like how monuments and currying favors balance each other out (at least theoretically now). Monuments massively encourage no CB wars across the map, which makes admin points ever more dedicated to stability rather than coring since vassal feeding and annexing is so much better anyway, but now favor currying is competing for valuable diplomat time. Choices choices choices.

Leviathan is tragic. It has great ideas that are just terribly executed and outright buggy.

But you can just spam concentrate development to lower both dip and adm costs to core. Also saves on GC and if you choose a good capital makes you absurd amounts of production and trade.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
What's really tragic is that professional developers who get paid for their job can't even manage to implement features half as complex as what the biggest mods do for free without breaking the entire game.

Right? Their arguments would be so much more believable if we didn't have direct evidence you could do better.

Norfleet

Jesus Christ, what a clusterfuck.

No wonder I couldn't figure out what was going on.
I think the main clusterfuck is basically the "return province" rule. Most Everything else is fairly intuitive, except for this arbitrary anchor to an arbitrary province. This particular significance makes absolutely no sense: the return province should be any valid return province. The entire "forts arbitrarily project across some borders but not others rule" is also kind of wonky. It would make more sense if forts projected into all clay you control or occupy and not into those you do not, period.

Jesus Christ, what a clusterfuck.

No wonder I couldn't figure out what was going on.
I think the main clusterfuck is basically the "return province" rule. Most Everything else is fairly intuitive, except for this arbitrary anchor to an arbitrary province. This particular significance makes absolutely no sense: the return province should be any valid return province. The entire "forts arbitrarily project across some borders but not others rule" is also kind of wonky. It would make more sense if forts projected into all clay you control or occupy and not into those you do not, period.

The return province is how the game is keeping track of which side of the fort you came from. If not for that then you could walk straight past a single fort (or a line of forts if you had any way around) since there would be no way to block you from taking a straight path across a fort just because a way around is achievable. I can't really think of a great way off the top of my head to do what they are trying to do in a simple and clean fashion.

Forts not projecting over hostile land is kind of dumb though. It works like that in Imperator.

thesecret1

Arcane
Yeah, there's really no going around the return rule, it has to be there if forts are to be worth anything at all. What they could have done better is visualize that shit somehow, because it all gets very confusing very fast without some indicator of just what is going on, which provinces are affected by the fort blocking, where the return province is, etc.

Norfleet

The return province is how the game is keeping track of which side of the fort you came from.
Except that the return province should be functionally irrelevant if there's a valid province, like, say, your own clay, next to it. Provinces are relatively big places: A zone of control represents the fort personnel's ability to harass your supply lines and generally disrupt operations. Which "side" of the fort you come from is functionally irrelevant if moving around the fort actually takes you closer to your own supply lines from another neighboring province. Thus, distance to the nearest non-hostile province is what should matter, not an arbitrary "return province".

The result is that if I'm doing a march just across the border, I somehow remain tethered to a distant return province that logically has no bearing whatsoever on what I am currently doing despite never being more than a single province away from friendly territory.

If not for that then you could walk straight past a single fort (or a line of forts if you had any way around) since there would be no way to block you from taking a straight path across a fort just because a way around is achievable. I can't really think of a great way off the top of my head to do what they are trying to do in a simple and clean fashion.
Yeah, hey, guess what? That never happens in Oldschool Civ and yet Oldschool Civ didn't have any such "return tile" rules. You still couldn't just endrun across a line of forts. You just didn't have this bizarre effect where you remained tethered to some arbitrary place for all time until you somehow returned back across a line to touch home.

Forts not projecting over hostile land is kind of dumb though. It works like that in Imperator.
It's more about the arbitrary failure to project over clay because that clay is a different color. So, according to the vidya, the fort projects control over the clay of the color it is, for the person who occupies it. This is just weird and convoluted: It should just project control over all clay occupied by the current occupant.

The return province is how the game is keeping track of which side of the fort you came from.
Except that the return province should be functionally irrelevant if there's a valid province, like, say, your own clay, next to it. Provinces are relatively big places: A zone of control represents the fort personnel's ability to harass your supply lines and generally disrupt operations. Which "side" of the fort you come from is functionally irrelevant if moving around the fort actually takes you closer to your own supply lines from another neighboring province. Thus, distance to the nearest non-hostile province is what should matter, not an arbitrary "return province".

But then you would be able to walk past forts. The game needs some method of figuring out which "side" of a fort you are on and prevent you from going to another "side", which is difficult with arbitrary province shapes and connections like EU4 has.

If not for that then you could walk straight past a single fort (or a line of forts if you had any way around) since there would be no way to block you from taking a straight path across a fort just because a way around is achievable. I can't really think of a great way off the top of my head to do what they are trying to do in a simple and clean fashion.
Yeah, hey, guess what? That never happens in Oldschool Civ and yet Oldschool Civ didn't have any such "return tile" rules. You still couldn't just endrun across a line of forts. You just didn't have this bizarre effect where you remained tethered to some arbitrary place for all time until you somehow returned back across a line to touch home.

No, Civilization Zone of Control worked pretty much the same way. If you were adjacent to any enemy unit then you had to either attack that unit or move out of its zone of control, you couldn't just slide past it. The only difference is that Civ didn't have to deal with non-regular province shapes. The whole "distance to return province" in EU4 is just a way to help the player cheat the ZoC rules a little and be a bit more flexible in their movement, because without that the provinces would make it an absolute PITA, especially when moving multiple armies that have slightly different return provinces.

Yeah, there's really no going around the return rule, it has to be there if forts are to be worth anything at all. What they could have done better is visualize that shit somehow, because it all gets very confusing very fast without some indicator of just what is going on, which provinces are affected by the fort blocking, where the return province is, etc.
They did test a completely different fort system where forts restricted movement on the state level. You could move anywhere in a state at all times, you simply couldn't move past the state further into enemy land if it still had an enemy fort in it. I liked the sound of that system a lot but apparently they dropped it very quickly in testing for some reason that I don't think was explained.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
IMO the worst offender of the whole thing is that forts still project zone of control even if they're besieged.

It makes no sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom