Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Last time ive played russia ive snatched relentless push east achievement. When i will have more time im thinking doing the novogrod trade node achievement. Seems really hard, basically conquer all of asia.

Yeah, I still want to get my California before the others get there. The colonization of Siberia is rather slow.

Also thinking about taking Persia and maybe India since they are also connected to Russian trade nodes.

Higher Game

Arcane
Started another game as Muscovy to recuperate from the Dithmarschen ordeal of turning a one-province state into a Great Power.

Allied with Poland this time and together we have been kicking ass and chewing bubblegum. And they haven't called me even once for their own wars in 50 years.

Now Lithuania managed to split off from Poland which is a golden opportunity to skoop up some Orthodox lands.

Muscovy is my favorite country as is ideal for any reactionary monocle. And I've found that rushing Kazan first with Perm's core is best before they ally Crimea, and Uzbek is absolutely worthless as an ally because you can just siege rush them while they waste time trying to siege your trash vassals, and ultimately take all their money. Kazan's gold mine is the prize you want, and then Novgorod follows so your AE among Muslims can cool down some, and then Great Horde.

Allying Poland is the real game changer, since they won't hurt you as well as protecting you from Denmark, so you can easily get away with 2x deliberate bankruptcies to build all the farm estates you can as early as you can. Muscovy very easily hits the governing capacity wall well before becoming Russia, so you want province quality over quantity very soon, and all those farm estate resources are perfect for that. And letting Denmark take the mediocre Baltic provinces is perfectly fine. Either administrative or innovative ideas are best just because of how easy it is to hit that governing capacity limit.

Circassia is the best nation to diplomatically vassalize, and then you can seize land where they border the Black Sea and rush straight past the Caucasus from there. If you can ally the Ottomans (yes, joining the dark side) it's possible to blitz past everyone else in the region before they even notice. Petra and the pyramids and Jerusalem are the prizes to rush for. But Australia and Zanzibar are where the money is, if you don't charter a company in Tunisia to get a claim in Spain to get a base in the Americas because they allied France or something. And for some reason you can put "Siberian" colonies in Africa.

The Eastern Europe missions are a trap because they're a trade dead zone thanks to all the caravan power the HRE nations have draining them, and the +3 diplomatic reputation you get from "consolidate russia" is best used to annex very large vassals quickly just before the age of absolutism for the autonomy reduction, not for the claims.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I got the Quest for New World first, then Quantity idea and then Religious. Conquering the Muslim lands too early seems like an easy way to get bogged down with low religious unity and rebels.

And yeah, the Baltics (and Scandinavia) are pretty worthless for trade, unless you conquer all of it and move your main trade node there.

Governing capacity was not that much of an issue before forming Russia - I just had to use the estates once or twice to up the limit by 100.

Higher Game

Arcane
I got the Quest for New World first, then Quantity idea and then Religious. Conquering the Muslim lands too early seems like an easy way to get bogged down with low religious unity and rebels.

And yeah, the Baltics (and Scandinavia) are pretty worthless for trade, unless you conquer all of it and move your main trade node there.

Governing capacity was not that much of an issue before forming Russia - I just had to use the estates once or twice to up the limit by 100.

I give all 4 estates land rights and still hit that limit. The key is to use vassal annexation as much as possible when you don't have a permanent claim or a special reason to core like a gold mine or project. Diplomatic power is the best national focus if you're under the limit since vassal annexation is better for states, administrative for territories. Just leave the original administrative focus on until tech 5 so you can win the innovative race through the first idea group, then switch to diplomatic.

Russia doesn't lack for quantity, especially after the Kremlin is upgraded (and most especially after you stack Third Rome on top of this) and you start concentrating development from areas you don't intend to consecrate. It gains much more relative benefit from aristocracy if you need a military idea, due to cossacks helping your cavalry so much in the first place, and saving military power means supply depots which help a lot in those cold wastelands. But usually a mana focus for easy Asian conquest is better than picking military ideas and going West where they are actually needed. The only time Western expansion might be worth it is if you get a lucky "border friction" CB before Lithuania converts too many Orthodox provinces or a lucky throne claim, but going East is more consistently effective.

Converting the Muslims isn't hard if you have a properly cavalier attitude towards bankruptcy and debt (you have all those farm estates to build anyway), and are willing to use a skill 3 missionary advisor if needed even if it runs your income into the ground. Combine him with enforced unity of faith and religious edicts and you're good to go even before taking on Denmark just for Bratsberg and Iceland. And early on, most icons aren't worth it when you need more patriarchal authority for early manpower and conversions. And of course get defender of the faith ASAP.

Also, because of fabricating claims on entire areas, and stacking lots of AE reduction (national idea and icon), espionage ideas is very strong for Russia so stealing maps instead of exploring for them usually works better. A few no CB wars in the Americas is preferable to being stuck with exploration ideas. And espionage has very good policy synergies.

And early on, stopping rebels by raising autonomy is not that bad because you have the sudebnik power that reduces autonomy rapidly anyway. And pick the autonomy reducing government reform because most cultures around Russia are small and not worth accepting anyway, and you get the project associated cultures much later. The autonomy reducing reform pays for itself easily and you can switch to the +2 cultures one by the age of absolutism when you need it for the age goal.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Hmm, haven't really looked much at supply depots or espionage. Just traded 15 prestige for a few maps, usually when I have prestige maxed out anyway and get even more.

I like the idea of concentrating on your strengths: So in Russia's case quantity is already there, but I make it an even bigger plus with the Quantity idea group.

And no, I do not game the bankruptcy system. Russia is easy to play as it is, unless you want to conquer the whole world by 1820 or something.

The religious stuff I mostly got already, but still want to get the +3% for missionaries from the Religious idea group. Still working on that one and converting Catholics in the meantime.

As to colonizing: I got myself Corsica from Genoa and from there am currently settling Trinidad in the Caribbean. Not sure what I will do in America after that. One possibility is to conquer the Mexican tribes - even an unifinished colony nearby is enough to fabricate claims I think. Getting Panama also seems like a good idea for the channel later.

Higher Game

Arcane
Hmm, haven't really looked much at supply depots or espionage. Just traded 15 prestige for a few maps, usually when I have prestige maxed out anyway and get even more.

I like the idea of concentrating on your strengths: So in Russia's case quantity is already there, but I make it an even bigger plus with the Quantity idea group.

And no, I do not game the bankruptcy system. Russia is easy to play as it is, unless you want to conquer the whole world by 1820 or something.

The religious stuff I mostly got already, but still want to get the +3% for missionaries from the Religious idea group. Still working on that one and converting Catholics in the meantime.

As to colonizing: I got myself Corsica from Genoa and from there am currently settling Trinidad in the Caribbean. Not sure what I will do in America after that. One possibility is to conquer the Mexican tribes - even an unifinished colony nearby is enough to fabricate claims I think. Getting Panama also seems like a good idea for the channel later.

I do like WCing (or more often getting 10k development by 1700 usually and callling it a win) and gaming bankruptcy but that's me. :positive: Russia's best approach to the colonial regions is of course to seize all of them, since they're so cheap as far as mana goes but a drain on manpower, which Russia has in abundance. And Spain has a couple very strong projects to grab anyway. The key to taking all the colonies is to make sure no old world great powers join an American Indian coalition which is absurd but it happens if you don't watch AE.

I like some of the Baltic orders as vassals because of the mediocrity of that region, and they do help convert. Converting Catholics is best done with the offensive/religious policy of course. But religious has policies with both espionage and aristocracy which give missionary strength too.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, I might ally one of the major colonial powers and let them help me grab colonies from another one later in the game. For now my focus is Asia.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Last time ive played russia ive snatched relentless push east achievement. When i will have more time im thinking doing the novogrod trade node achievement. Seems really hard, basically conquer all of asia.
You don't need to conquer all of Asia, that is one option. The other is to be quick.

Higher Game

Arcane
After the Kazan/Novgorod/Great Horde opening the best trade node to seize is Samarkand because Khiva and Kazakhstan are 2 awesome vassals that make taking the node very easy, and then Siberia and Yumen will flow naturally into one's network without needing any merchants so it's like gaining 3 nodes at once. Your starting merchants will be best placed in Astrakhan and Samarkand and after that the best expansion is going to come from the colonial regions that will get you all the merchants you need, and of course Zanzibar. Everything else is about opportunistically seizing great projects and claiming thrones, etc.

Malacca is actually a really good target because of all the diversity and density in that region allowing for threaten war abuse and diplomatic vassalization. Charter a trade company there and nibble away at it for a century before finishing it off.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I decided to skoop up some American tribes while my aggressive expansion in Asia is cooling off. Also probably the fastest way to get to the West Coast with central american colonies. Oirat is a tributary of Ming and I don't want that massive war yet.

I have Leviathan turned off, but apparently North America is filled with tribes in this version even without that. Some of them have insane development like 30-40.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
The warm embrace of mother Russia:

Image2.png

Kazan is next. I just allied with Transoxiana for central Asian campaigns. In the meantime, shipping troops to America for some fun there.

Higher Game

Arcane
The warm embrace of mother Russia:

Image2.png

Kazan is next. I just allied with Transoxiana for central Asian campaigns. In the meantime, shipping troops to America for some fun there.

Whenever England reduces Scotland to a tiny remnant like that, you can diplo vassalize them if you have those Danish islands, and then ally England, and gradually rebuild Scotland by using "return core" favors. It's basically hundreds of free development and a foothold in Britain so you can take them out without facing their navy. And against Denmark I actually prefer conquest CB over deus vult simply because they're such an attrition nightmare even for Russia and their navy is a beast, so getting that ticking war score started ASAP is ideal.

Chartering a company and going for Mali's gold is also a good idea by the way.

I have Leviathan turned off, but apparently North America is filled with tribes in this version even without that. Some of them have insane development like 30-40.
because turning it off is pointless, it just removes features but keeps all the bugs and horrors still living in the code.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Question: I am supporting the independence war of a colony against their master. At what war score does the war end? I already have over 60.

I read that when you fight your own indepenence war, the score does not have to be that high.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Turns out, it was independence war for three colonies - the two allies broke free as well. It ended at close to 70% war score.

i see last dlc as the melted failed ripley's clone in alien 4. "please kill me". it's not "time to die" in itself, it's just time to make it stop suffering.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Good vid:

Hmmm i a good final free DLC that polishes all the game and clean up all the bugs will be a nice send off. Die off is not accurate word tho,more like move on.

They honestly need to straight up rework much of the new content in leviathan.

The new world is a complete and utter shitshow, favours severely unbalance the game and so does concentrate development.

The only things that were decent/good are the mission trees and monuments.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom